At least 16 killed and many injured in Korat road accident

webfact

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

"He said it was unnecessary to have more safety measures to prevent fatal bus accidents during the Songkran festival as the existing strict measures, and laws remained in force, particularly drink driving, drowsy driving, and speeding."

Of course Khun Prawit, nothing to the point continue.

Just shows how much they care about their fellow citizens.

Well this is a very different version of the accident that was reported by Bangkok Post. 

Bangkok post reported the passengers were heading back to Sakon Nakhon  and that the bus collided head on with the truck ( although an earlier report made no mention of the truck )

My wife works at a Tessaban in Kalasin  and told me her office was co-coordinating help and information  for the other local Tessabans where most of the victims came from and worked.

She informed me the Governor of Kalasin province was helping  rescue workers to bring the dead and injured back to Kalasin.

She also told me there were many reporters at her Tessaban ( obviously Bangkok Post was not among them )  

The road shops are the problem,

thai wife: " se-t-op, se-t-op ! I want to eat durian !"

thai driver : makes an emmergency stop .......

The following cars ( with eye-open sleeping drivers) crash into the braking car .

Also ,after buying at a road shop , they slowly come back on the road ,where cars are doing 110 km/h......and "crash".......

I told you ....the road shops ! Stay away !

Shock and grief after 18 Kalasin residents killed in coach crash

By Yutthana Kiatdamnoen-ngam 
Jakkapong Rawiwan 
The Nation

23a33abce892d17dcb4b50042a0de51d.jpeg

The tragic double-decker coach crash on Wednesday night in Nakhon Ratchasima has been followed by an outpouring of grief for the 18 deceased victims, all whom were from Kalasin’s Muang district, including tour guide Sompit Sutthichum, her husband and two children.

A relative of Sompit, Pairoj Wanpukil, told Kalasin Governor Kraisorn Kongchalard, who visited victims’ families on Thursday morning, that the whole family had been killed in the crash. Kraisorn assured the deceased victims’ relatives that the Kalasin office of the Office of Insurance Commission had reported that the bus’s insurance company would pay Bt650,000 compensation for each death.

94ac7ac2626e849c125024c1d7e39d18.jpeg

An additional 32 people were injured. The governor also set up a temporary centre at Muang city hall to identify the bodies. The coach had been chartered by a group of mill operators and their families to visit Chanthaburi on Monday.

a63ffadbd06612aaa54c8cb5340035d9.jpeg

The vehicle was on its way back to Kalasin when the driver lost control while entering a downhill curve, drove across a road island and slammed into trees and five roadside stalls in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Wang Nam Khieo district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341486

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-22

20 minutes ago, Mattd said:

And this is exactly why Thailand will continue to be number one for road deaths!

How the hell can they determine the cause was brake failure after such a short time span and destructive force of the crash.................... easier just to fob it off as that, the minions will believe!

Not only that, but if by some miracle that was the cause, it is not an excuse! Brake failure is caused by poor maintenance or an idiot driver who doesn't know what he is doing. Ah well, another 60 tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I managed to find a video of the tilt test, and a skid test at the end:

Three years ago or so, they built a tilt test unit like this one at the vehicle licensing department in Chiang Mai.  I've not happened by when it's been in use but at least it appears that someone thought of it.

I've often thought that if the insurance carriers for these busses trucks were forced to pay out serious meaningful compensation they would soon insist on better and more consistent driver training along with mechanical standards that would reduce the good old "brakes failed" excuse.  Of course this would require acknowledgement that people's lives matter both to their loved ones and dependants, not to mention the economy and reputation of the country so I won't be holding my breath....  

47 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

you obviously don't drive an automatic.

Simply select 1 or 2 on the auto, or on the modern multi speed auto units a speed to suit the requirement. 

22 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Simply select 1 or 2 on the auto, or on the modern multi speed auto units a speed to suit the requirement. 

My SUV is auto and will adjust to a lower gear going downhill, a lot of the computer controlled ones do, however it is irrelevant to this accident, as I doubt the bus was fully automatic.

38 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

Brakes fail for two reasons   1. They are never maintained ...2.   Drivers never use their gears to slow down, they just ride their brakes causing them to overheat 

Yep, or a combination of both here.

35 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Not only that, but if by some miracle that was the cause, it is not an excuse! Brake failure is caused by poor maintenance or an idiot driver who doesn't know what he is doing. Ah well, another 60 tomorrow. 

Absolutely, brakes do not fail for no reason nowadays.

Just another bus accident I'm just going through my Email list they just keep coming
The Transport department in this country is disgraceful, as are some of the bus companies, day after day week after week and so on people getting injured and killed. Coach drivers falling asleep, fleeing from accidents, driving beyond their capabilities, they don't have driving skills, its mostly guess work. So our life's go on and a heap of passengers die, so for those responsible get off your ases and do something, or hold you're heads in shame every day and every time some poor soul passes away.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

Russian Roulette, I guess you can back this up with your own personal proof. I just finished a drive to Bangkok from Chiang Mai, Bangkok to Kanchanaburi then back to Chiang Mai thats about 1500k guess what not one accident over this trip by me or anyone else.

Yes there are accidents here as there are in any country that has drivers. But Russian Roulette a bit over the top

I think the horrendous death toll on Thai roads confirms the fact that there are a few accidents here thanks

8 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Are Thai buses and trucks made to good standards of safety? Several after accident scenes show awful damage and scattered vehicle parts. They do seem to break apart rather easy.

Lack of maintenance is an issue and using cheap replacement parts from China.  But it is the whole package that is wrong.  Many drivers take Yaba (amphetamine) to keep awake. Lack of driver training in the first place and the Thais attitude to road safety which is non existent.  "You give way!" "No you give way!"  Add to that lack of proper policing and you have, in a nutshell,  carnage every day!

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I know there has been a loss of life here, and that is genuinely sad.

However, I’m waiting for the all-too-often-made calls to begin about banning double-decker buses as they’re dangerous.

I’ll get in first: If only they would think, and look at accident rates involving double-decker buses in other countries. I’m sure it must be the UK where there are more (and taller) double-decker buses than anywhere else, yet accidents there are very, very, rare.

It’s the drivers here that need banning. They need to be responsible and concentrate on their driving, not trying to get down hills with sharp bends at break-neck speed (no pun intended), or perform dangerous overtaking manoeuvres.

As soon as this particular incident is out the news, it will be forgotten again until the next accident.

How long (& how many more deaths?) before this lot implement mandatory cameras, tachos & GPS as is commonplace just about anywhere else?

17 minutes ago, evadgib said:

How long (& how many more deaths?) before this lot implement mandatory cameras, tachos & GPS as is commonplace just about anywhere else?

It will  nothing for the road deaths, tachograpgs, GPS etc are for housekeeping, not a means to cure stupidity. 

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

And this is exactly why Thailand will continue to be number one for road deaths!

How the hell can they determine the cause was brake failure after such a short time span and destructive force of the crash.................... easier just to fob it off as that, the minions will believe!

Thats nothing other than an overt attempt to negate the bad publicity abroad

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The 117 Highway runs between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok.

So in Thailand, what is the difference between a highway and a motorway?

A motorway has at least two lanes in the same direction and a barrier or median between the opposing lanes. A highway has only 1 lane in each direction, except where passing lanes are added, and no mid line barrier

I don't recall that he specified which road he was on. Everywhere in LOS has alternative roads as well as main roads, and even some back roads can have long straight stretches.

Between Lamphun and Chiang Mai the road along the railway line is very straight, and could be described as a highway, but the main road would be the 11.

Where do all these drivers escape to? I imagine them like lost socks, flotsam, or 1 bht coins hidden in cushions. Do they ever get found? Do they eventually return to their villages after the anger has cooled off? This happens so often with cowards running away; but just where do they run?

5 hours ago, Jingjock said:

Loads on these drivers are on drugs to stay awake while they drive 18 hours a day (MONEY) it will never change. RIP to all those killed. So I will not travel on a bus or mini bus at all.

Every overnight government bus I've been on has 2 drivers. You are talking about the private tour buses.

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yet again, driver survives and does a runner !!!

I really wish they would put a mandatory jail sentence on anyone fleeing the scene of an accident.

If he gets beaten up by the crowd while he waits, unlucky...

"Amazing Thailand" !

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A motorway has at least two lanes in the same direction and a barrier or median between the opposing lanes. A highway has only 1 lane in each direction, except where passing lanes are added, and no mid line barrier

I don't recall that he specified which road he was on. Everywhere in LOS has alternative roads as well as main roads, and even some back roads can have long straight stretches.

Between Lamphun and Chiang Mai the road along the railway line is very straight, and could be described as a highway, but the main road would be the 11.

I believe what you say is right, but the road between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok that's the 117, would be motorway all the way, but it is signposted the 117 Highway.

5 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Who wants to sleep on a bus at night anyway? If it costs more to travel. So be it.

Thais that want to go to work after a day off visiting their parents do.

I sometimes wonder if posters understand that they are in LOS where people don't have as much money as they do, and don't get holidays to travel in.

Archived