More than half of women are victims of sexual assault by drunken Songkran men, claims report

webfact

3 minutes ago, Ossy said:

We don't need posters jumping on the self-righteous band-wagon at the slightest suggestion that the groped girls can sometimes be as much to blame as the groper. We all know that he is most at fault, but let's not dance to his tune . . . let's just be sensible.

Oh the irony ... ;)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only now i can read the negative aspect of Songkran which has become more a festival for the western people bringing all their arsenal of plastic pressure guns -why not karcher- to Thailand. Thais girls also participating with them sometimes bra-less under their clothes so that once wet they become nearly naked. 

3 minutes ago, Ossy said:

And that, thanks, Rkidlad, was the key point of my post, advising females:

1. to avoid getting drunk, themselves.
  2. to avoid provoking molestation, e.g. by seductive behaviour, wet T-shirts, boob-bouncing and the like.
  3. to avoid - and assuming that it is absolutely necessary for you to be on that particular street - getting within arms length of the problem louts.

And where does Thai law stand, here? Despite a number of attempts for clarity, I can't read whether groping is classed and is punished as sexual assault, whereas rape is, of course. If groping is illegal, here, then evidently - just like with enforcing driving laws - there should be a massive police presence, with a policeman, every ten yards on the celebration streets, if things are as bad as the headline makes out.

We don't need posters jumping on the self-righteous band-wagon at the slightest suggestion that the groped girls can sometimes be as much to blame as the groper. We all know that he is most at fault, but let's not dance to his tune . . . let's just be sensible.

That’s not what I meant about being careful. It was just ‘be careful’. A woman could go out wearing a g string bikini and dancing like Madonna, that’s none of my business. If she were to be groped or raped, the last thing I’d ever say to her would be, “you should have been more careful”. She’s still 0% at fault. Advice after the fact is illogical and regressive and just enables the attackers’ attitude that they’re not 100% to blame. 

I get your point, but the blame has to be on the attacker and the attacker only. This way attitudes change. 

8 minutes ago, Ossy said:

And that, thanks, Rkidlad, was the key point of my post, advising females:

1. to avoid getting drunk, themselves.
  2. to avoid provoking molestation, e.g. by seductive behaviour, wet T-shirts, boob-bouncing and the like.
  3. to avoid - and assuming that it is absolutely necessary for you to be on that particular street - getting within arms length of the problem louts.

And where does Thai law stand, here? Despite a number of attempts for clarity, I can't read whether groping is classed and is punished as sexual assault, whereas rape is, of course. If groping is illegal, here, then evidently - just like with enforcing driving laws - there should be a massive police presence, with a policeman, every ten yards on the celebration streets, if things are as bad as the headline makes out.

Don't have a beer? Don't get wet at Songkran? Our breasts bounce when we walk. Are you suggesting we can stop walking during Songkran? Don't get within arms reach of other people on the crowded street? How about this...if you molest people when drunk, do not drink. And, if you have urges but aren't man enough to catch a lady's eye who will allow you to touch her boobs, give up on life. My advice seems better, don't you think? 

I was at patpong in 97 and ity was fun.  It lasted until the afternoon but there were no alcohol sales and no one was drinking.  Everyone had a good time.

Now we have large crowds with people that bring their own booze or buy out the 7/11.  Crowd sizes are huge and people get the feeling that they can get away with anything.

This is not however restricted to Bangkok and Songkran.

The US is presently cleaning up from the annual spring break festivities.  Again these used to be fun, and were a great way to break the winter blahs for students.

Now it is at the point thaat people are getting raped on the beach while others look, the police have outlawed booze on the beach.

Why is this happening would be a great paper for a Psych mjor.

The issue is that most young people and a few older think that they can do what they want when they are not near home.

That if it is large crowd then they have to be more obnoxious than their friends.

Some women both Thai and foreign feel that they can be a sexy as possible.

It comes down to the downfall of society morals  Less about what is right but what I think is right for me.

19 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

oh. who disputed your point number 1.it's good you avoid kao san whether songkran or not. and a bunch of men may well may know what happens. 

have you ever been to silom on songkran as a male? no. whinging western girls. you do make me laugh

This was not about men being molested. Forgive me, was that you attacked? Poor sad little boy, you'll get your chance to tell your story when someone cares. I however am a woman and lime Songkran, amd I won't be told its my fault someone thinks its okay to touch me just because they had too many beers. 

donno bout u guys but i had some thai guys fondling with my dick disguised as a polite powdering of my balls during songkran on pattaya tai.

still think it was far worse to get powder rubbed into my eyes,

it burned forever

1 hour ago, FarangLife said:

How nice to see a bunch of men think they know what happens to women better than the women themselves. 1. It was half of women celebrating Songkran, not half of all women. 2. Its sexual assault, that means every instance of butt-slapping and breast-grabbing, half seems like a low estimate to me. 3. As a woman I feel safer in Thailand than I do in most other countries, Songkran is just extra drunken so I avoid Khao San and stick to the provinces. 4. Why should I stay home and let the men have all the fun? Better to just travel around with sober friends who won't let anyone close enough to do more than splash me. 5. Why don't all the Chester the Molesters stay home and get drunk with the expat pensioners? Seems a much better solution to me. ♡

Speaking as a Chester, why would I stay home with Miss Palm and her five sisters when I can go out once a year and grope all the drunken wet-t-shirt gals I can get my grubby mitts on in the name of harmless fun ?  It would be awfully quiet if we all stayed home.

I have been going for 11 years. I do not recall any misconduct but certainly there could have been beyond my view. It has always seemed like a lot of people have fun. the young ladies tend to stay with friends and seem well protected. maybe we can have the number of 191 calls during this period of time along with the reason for the call.

42 minutes ago, FarangLife said:

Don't have a beer? Don't get wet at Songkran? Our breasts bounce when we walk. Are you suggesting we can stop walking during Songkran? Don't get within arms reach of other people on the crowded street? How about this...if you molest people when drunk, do not drink. And, if you have urges but aren't man enough to catch a lady's eye who will allow you to touch her boobs, give up on life. My advice seems better, don't you think? 

you do realise you are more likely to be molested as a male at songkran by gay boys right. some of you girls are so full of shit it's unreal. no attention leads to fantasies of being groped by all those men. dream on

Time they knock all this Songkran insanity on the head, what was once a beautiful ceremony has degenerated over the years into a week of drunken yobbos greatly inconveniencing the rest of the population.

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

you do realise you are more likely to be molested as a male at songkran by gay boys right. some of you girls are so full of shit it's unreal. no attention leads to fantasies of being groped by all those men. dream on

Thats not true, the ladyboys will drug you and take your money. The drunks will blatently come at you no matter how you are dressed and how you are acting. Thats why I said its best to travel in groups. No ladyboys or drunken molesters will get away with anything. Now if thise ladyboys are so scary, do what we do. Make some friends. Travel with those friends. Stay close to your friends. Have fun with your friends. If you have made good choices in friends, your butt is now as safe, or safer even, than my breasts in a crowd. Good luck to you!

Reality check.

51.9% said they had suffered some form of sexual harassment or molestation.

Means ...........  X% were raped, Y% were groped or fondled, and the rest had 'sexual' things said towards or in their presence - usually drunk blokes saying or suggesting something inappropriate.

This is a common use of 'sexual assault or harassment' statistics by feminazis deliberately meant to cause concern in order to highlight their cause so they can pursue their agenda.  

Sexual Assault is unacceptable in any circumstance, but to try and make it look like 50% of women were sexually assaulted is deliberate misuse of the statistics. 

A report submitted to the Thai Interior Ministry claims that more than half of all women are subjected to sexual molestation by drunk men at Songkran.
Wow! Half of "all women" would be about two billion.
Usual journalistic hyperbole from "Thailand News".

25 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Speaking as a Chester, why would I stay home with Miss Palm and her five sisters when I can go out once a year and grope all the drunken wet-t-shirt gals I can get my grubby mitts on in the name of harmless fun ?  It would be awfully quiet if we all stayed home.

Hahaha! But how would it be quiet with all of us wet t-shirt ladies in one place? 

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Yes. I think about 30+ million women seems a bit of an exaggeration  And are multiple molestations of the same women over different days of Songkran taken into account. That would blow the figure skyhigh for the purpose of over-dramatisation. 

1793 women responded to the questionnaire and 51% said that they had suffered some kind of molestation.

The headline and other text suggests otherwise, but it is easy enough to come to your conclusion

from the headline itself.

54 minutes ago, FarangLife said:

Yes, not bad advice, I have to agree. No matter how careful you try to be with your 'good' advice, there's always that chance it'll rub someone up the wrong way.

It's good that you sound to be happy with things as they are. My couple of posts were solely for the benefit of those who didn't want to be a part of the massive number who are sexually assaulted over Songkran, since we know that, until there is a seed change in this country, there are always going to be those louts, overdoing their fun.

Enjoy your Songkran and let us know how you get on, this time, will you?

13 minutes ago, FarangLife said:

Hahaha! But how would it be quiet with all of us wet t-shirt ladies in one place? 

I actually avoid it at all costs these days.  It used to be fun when the 'rules' were abided by; kick-off lunchtime of the 13th, pack it in by sundown and everyone had a jolly good time.  Soi Cowboy was great fun for a few hours, now three - six days of mayhem.  Enjoy and stay safe m'dear.

5 hours ago, Ossy said:

What, like being held down, mouth wedged open, whilst booze was poured in? Being forced to drink is a lot different from being persuaded to drink. If you don't want to drink, don't drink and if that means choosing new friends, do that.

Right girls . . . let's try to be 100% honest and truthful. If your drinking contributed to your being groped, it has to be more your own fault than that of the boozy boys that you could, if you'd made the effort, have avoided. You don't have to walk within arms length of these cretins and most sensible folk would simply make sure they didn't. There's keeping out of trouble and there's asking for trouble . . . the choice is yours, more than Thailand's boozy New Year.

...a lot of them i see are pissed, gyrating and cavorting..still wrong to touch the goods.

33 minutes ago, TSF said:

Time they knock all this Songkran insanity on the head, what was once a beautiful ceremony has degenerated over the years into a week of drunken yobbos greatly inconveniencing the rest of the population.

Yep I agree. More a hindrance than a celebration. Up in the Sa Kaeo it is a good time had by all but head back to Patts and it's a nightmare. I get home from work on the 17th this year so I'll only have to put up with it for a couple of days.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A report submitted to the Thai Interior Ministry claims that more than half of all women are subjected to sexual molestation by drunk men at Songkran.

Claims have been made that the celebration is out of control mainly because of men and alcohol.

Calls have been made to protect women, young people and children from the drunken and dangerous revelry that now typifies the Thai traditional New Year celebration.

Sounds like the concept of traditional Song Kran festivities has been forgotten. They still call it celebration, though? So, in this modern world it´s a celebration when rapes, drunken states, crimes goes up and sensible mentallity tragically reaches rock bottom. Nice to know.

This was not about men being molested. Forgive me, was that you attacked? Poor sad little boy, you'll get your chance to tell your story when someone cares. I however am a woman and lime Songkran, amd I won't be told its my fault someone thinks its okay to touch me just because they had too many beers. 

so easy to wind you pettles up. not poor, not little and always here for fun. Hug? 555

This is more hyperbole than fact.  I've enjoyed the wild, drunken water fights in Chiang Mai before in mixed gender groups of partiers, and I have younger female family members and friends who make this a yearly event.  I've haven't seen or heard of anyone whom I know being 'groped' by evil, drunken men.  
'Happiness to the people' - as long as you toe-the-line and do as your told. 

Oh, and remember:
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 

Talk about double standards.  You don't give a flying fig 'Poor sad little boy' was fiddled with but when some guy whose had one too many shandys glances at your titts in a funny way you scream blue murder and expect everyone with a willy to be banged up abroad.  Trust me, if we need to see, grope, fondle, or ogle titties in this place there are many finer ones than yours up for grabs.

What is this rubbish now?

So the sexy drunk girls flirting with the drunk horny guys get upset when they are touched or spoken to in a sexual way?  Really? 

If they do not like it they should not be drunk, out wearing sexy clothes and mixing with drunk guys.  Why don't they dress up in nice traditional dress and go to a temple?  Reason.. because they want to get wasted and probably pull a guy if they are single.  

What about the men getting sexually 'assaulted'?  Every year at this festival I can guarantee many women (and even gay guys) will grope me, grab my arm or my crotch.... even without this festival, walking past any hooker bar they women will shout out the usual.. 'sexy man' and grab at men going past to try to drag them into the bar.  We don't all go about crying and making out we are victims of serious sexual abuse!

If the women / man does not like what someone else is doing or saying to them then they just need to tell them to stop.. and stay away from them.  If they are super sensitive to any form of sexual contact then clearly they are stupid to go to a bar at songkhran festival full of drunk people.  

2 hours ago, FarangLife said:

How nice to see a bunch of men think they know what happens to women better than the women themselves. 1. It was half of women celebrating Songkran, not half of all women. 2. Its sexual assault, that means every instance of butt-slapping and breast-grabbing, half seems like a low estimate to me. 3. As a woman I feel safer in Thailand than I do in most other countries, Songkran is just extra drunken so I avoid Khao San and stick to the provinces. 4. Why should I stay home and let the men have all the fun? Better to just travel around with sober friends who won't let anyone close enough to do more than splash me. 5. Why don't all the Chester the Molesters stay home and get drunk with the expat pensioners? Seems a much better solution to me. ♡

? so... your a women, Cool...  can give us a better understanding then?

perhaps work out a percentage from your personal experience, if it’s not too personal a topic, although this is anonymous, and it’s a good way to prove any points your making 

how many songkran have you attended vs how many times have you been molested... divide one by the other to get a percentage ( 4 songkrans.. 2 molestations... gives 50% molestation rate)

is the report less than your experience rate, the same, or higher?

For men... well... I’ve been here for six festivals (I try to get out of the country, if I can... Laos this year ?) and I’ve been butt slapped as many times... ergo men are sexually assaulted 100% of the time

Archived