More than half of women are victims of sexual assault by drunken Songkran men, claims report

webfact

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

The article per usual gives example of going to that notorious spot, Khao San Road, home of those horrible farangs and their filthy ways. If 50% figure has any sort of validity, why not example from wheretheheckburi... The implication by example of farangs behind this is rotten. What happens? do the farangs spread out like an invading force far and wide to grope women all over Thailand? Or perhaps they don't want to say "Gee, with those numbers, sounds like Thai men have a problem".

I will spend those days of madness (week?) in Pattaya in the relative sanity of Bangkok. Avoid the farangs: don't know about the groping, but in general they turn their normal passive aggressive action into active aggression. And spare us any of that "oh, you are such a spoilsport and don't like fun".

Assault isn't fun, at least in my book.

You go to Pattaya to get away from "horrible farangs"?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Talk about double standards.  You don't give a flying fig 'Poor sad little boy' was fiddled with but when some guy whose had one too many shandys glances at your titts in a funny way you scream blue murder and expect everyone with a willy to be banged up abroad.  Trust me, if we need to see, grope, fondle, or ogle titties in this place there are many finer ones than yours up for grabs.

He wants my sympathy than better to start by not calling me names first. You will never know if there are finer ones than mine or not, Chester, thats the joy of being a keyboard warrior ♡♡♡

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

more than half. i find that highly unlikely from what i have seen in the past. some for sure but more than half. doubt that very much

I think it depends are where you are.  Around the moat in Chiang Mai it is very much full on.  Maybe because it is a university town but the amount of scantily clad drunk young ladies is disgraceful :smile:.  I used to have to check it out every Songkran when I was living there, just for research purposes! 

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think it depends are where you are.  Around the moat in Chiang Mai it is very much full on.  Maybe because it is a university town but the amount of scantily clad drunk young ladies is disgraceful :smile:.  I used to have to check it out every Songkran when I was living there, just for research purposes! 

and chiang mai uni girls are known amongst the thais as being the hottest ones as i'm sure you know 555

18 minutes ago, farcanell said:

? so... your a women, Cool...  can give us a better understanding then?

perhaps work out a percentage from your personal experience, if it’s not too personal a topic, although this is anonymous, and it’s a good way to prove any points your making 

how many songkran have you attended vs how many times have you been molested... divide one by the other to get a percentage ( 4 songkrans.. 2 molestations... gives 50% molestation rate)

is the report less than your experience rate, the same, or higher?

For men... well... I’ve been here for six festivals (I try to get out of the country, if I can... Laos this year ?) and I’ve been butt slapped as many times... ergo men are sexually assaulted 100% of the time

You are a creep for even asking this. What if I were one of the more unlucky women at Songkran?

I will say that I have been here and participated through two Songkrans now and have not only had my butt slapped, but also grabbed and bruised. They've also freely grabbed my chest. I dressed in the Thai flowery shirts and long pants. I never drink more than one beer and didn't even have that while at Songkran. I had not danced in the street. I made the mistake of being with one person, not a group, I have learned my lesson. I will not however stay home because you creeps want to enable those idiots. So Songkran in BKK, 1000000%. Songkran in the provinces, 0%. 

Having  enjoyed  28 Songkrans in this country (6 of them in Chiang Mai with plenty of alcohol

around I can honestly say that I have never seen a woman groped when she did not want to be.

This is the anti alcohol lobby trying once again (or still) to blame every evil on alcohol.

The carnage on the road has undoubtedly alcohol to blame in part but high speed, lack of paying attention, inability to drive & peoples stupidity to attempt to drive after drinking are the biggest part.

The police who flatly refuse to use mufti cars add to this debacle. Road blocks alone will not fix the problem.

For those of you who hibernate  during Songkran , that is certainly your choice but you are missing one of the worlds last remaining great festivals

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

What is this rubbish now?

So the sexy drunk girls flirting with the drunk horny guys get upset when they are touched or spoken to in a sexual way?  Really? 

If they do not like it they should not be drunk, out wearing sexy clothes and mixing with drunk guys.  Why don't they dress up in nice traditional dress and go to a temple?  Reason.. because they want to get wasted and probably pull a guy if they are single.  

What about the men getting sexually 'assaulted'?  Every year at this festival I can guarantee many women (and even gay guys) will grope me, grab my arm or my crotch.... even without this festival, walking past any hooker bar they women will shout out the usual.. 'sexy man' and grab at men going past to try to drag them into the bar.  We don't all go about crying and making out we are victims of serious sexual abuse!

If the women / man does not like what someone else is doing or saying to them then they just need to tell them to stop.. and stay away from them.  If they are super sensitive to any form of sexual contact then clearly they are stupid to go to a bar at songkhran festival full of drunk people.  

Sexy drunk girls and guys will always be around.  That does not give them the right to grope or molest a girl.  CHECK the laws in your native country, unless you are from a Muslim country it is still rape or molestation even if they are drunk as they do not have the ability to give consent.  As to staying away from bars, the issue is not the bars it is the streets be it Patpong, walking street or Asoke.

I really don't think that what a woman chooses to wear should ever be used as an excuse by men to grope/sexually assault etc. That's a pathetic excuse. It's the kind of BS you hear a significant number of  men saying in the Middle East (where I lived for 10 years and witnessed). It's basically tantamount to saying "it's not my fault, I couldn't help myself because of they way she was dressed."  In other words, men have no sovereignty over their emotions/impulses, and moreover, it's the victims fault for having fashion sense and wanting to go and have a good time. 

#Me Too

Iv'e been molested by young ladies and on occasion katoys. They grab my butt, calling me "sexy man" and  sometimes they even hugg me. It is frustrating not to have a quiet walk in late night without this aggravating behavior. 

I'm not a sex toy, please understand that. Why are you pestering me like this?

All men should stand up against this harassment. Together we can stand strong

And for those who didn't understand this. Well, there is no hope for you :tongue:

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

No students in CM for Songkran, they all go home.

Around the moat it seems mainly to be Bogans with buckets.

I don't go out during Songkran, don't care about the 'molestation', do care about the buckets of dirty moat water.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

A report submitted to the Thai Interior Ministry claims that more than half of all women are subjected to sexual molestation by drunk men at Songkran.

Writing on behalf of thirty victims of sexual assault Jadet Chaowilai said that Songkran was out of control as drunks and opportunists used the cover of the celebration to assault and grope women, cause arguments and injure people.

So half of all women in Thailand = 30 ?

Some girls are also known to go out, get high and look for some fun, so be honest please. Yes, it is not a reason to stigmatize anybody or excuse the bad behaviour, but the ladies are aware that things can get out of control.

As for the others, just keep the cuties at home and lock up the car in the garage till the frenzy passes.

3 hours ago, FarangLife said:

Don't have a beer? Don't get wet at Songkran? Our breasts bounce when we walk. Are you suggesting we can stop walking during Songkran? Don't get within arms reach of other people on the crowded street? How about this...if you molest people when drunk, do not drink. And, if you have urges but aren't man enough to catch a lady's eye who will allow you to touch her boobs, give up on life. My advice seems better, don't you think? 

This is a forum for white foreigners, if you don't like the way brown local men behave, why not whine at them in one of their forums.

I didn't do it, I play no part in Songkran.

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Well last year in our town,two 20 something girls obviously drunk,became amarous together and next thing were on the ground kissing and fondling each other,a group of young lads egging them on,shorts and panties off one girl came off,and the other was down on her,then the Police came and stopped them,i was most dissapointed,it was just harmless fun.

video link please

These little idiots in the government always trying to brown nose the next one higher to get some points. Fact is these morons never go out and enjoy it with citizens so it means nothing to them to try to shut it down. I am getting so fed up at them making up their own stories. I enjoy it every ear in CM with my family, 3 whom are girls 

10 hours ago, z42 said:

It's become a complete monster imo. Alcohol and the general chaotic nature of it makes a whole heap of already not very bright people do even more crazy / reckless things than they normally would.

A couple of hours of it around midday when i can take my little girl out is actually quite good fun for me and her because people are sober still and it has a more peaceful / happy feel.

In the late afternoon big groups are totally wasted and are quite menacing (like what is described in the OP).

It is what it is though, any measures that are effective in making it a little mord family friendly am all for

cowards + alcohol = heroes

After 7 years in Phuket, last year was my final Songkran on Bangla Rd.  Too many out of control drunks, most of them with not a clue about the true essence of Songkran and the gentle celebration that was intended.  The Thais are taught at an early age how to act but the tourists have no idea at all and will never know.  Add alcohol and it's a recipe for aggression and physical/sexual assault.  Unfortunate but so goes the evolution of tourism in Thailand with increased police control, an end to spraying water on the main roads and the gradual decline of a sacred and honoured celebration.

8 hours ago, Ossy said:

What, like being held down, mouth wedged open, whilst booze was poured in? Being forced to drink is a lot different from being persuaded to drink. If you don't want to drink, don't drink and if that means choosing new friends, do that.

Right girls . . . let's try to be 100% honest and truthful. If your drinking contributed to your being groped, it has to be more your own fault than that of the boozy boys that you could, if you'd made the effort, have avoided. You don't have to walk within arms length of these cretins and most sensible folk would simply make sure they didn't. There's keeping out of trouble and there's asking for trouble . . . the choice is yours, more than Thailand's boozy New Year.

Some naughty girls forced me to drink alcohol ! 

Archived