More than half of women are victims of sexual assault by drunken Songkran men, claims report

webfact

what about the men who get sexually assaulted .just walk past most girly bars and they are on you like

a rash . not that i mind of course ..  

The junta will soon be banning Alcohol and making it a class A drug as it causes most problems drink driving, violence  ,criminal damage to property . lots of vomit to be cleaned up and making most completely stupid. 

Enjoy Songkran  think i will stay home here is only 1 day so not so bad . 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ossy said:

Did I say groping was OK? Nothing of the sort. I very clearly stated that's it's in everyone's common-sense interests to keep out of arm's length of the sexy drunks. There has to be some value in that approach, surely.

so, what you are saying is that to avoid the problem that should not be there in the first place is a good strategy.
And to a certain level you are absolutely correct.
Nevertheless, there is a growing attitude problem, and as the communities and families are increasingly segmented and divided, increasing acceptance of alcohol consumption, lack of Social Control, lack of professional Policing, and lack of strong signals from authorities and religious leaders, will make the trend difficult to reverse, unfortunately.

Songkran has morphed into little more than an excuse for perverts, drunks and uneducated morons to have an excuse to molest women and be drunkenly silly at will, plus numpty tourists who misunderstand Thai culture.. along with children doing things that they would never even think of doing outside of these times. It has also become unpopular with older Thais too in it's present form. 

They should set up zones for people to go crazy in rather than let everyone go feral everywhere...as there are many that want nothing to do with it, have to work or are just too old for this silly BS. 

22 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

They should set up zones for people to go crazy in rather than let everyone go feral everywhere...as there are many that want nothing to do with it, have to work or are just too old for this silly BS. 

You mean like this?

“Pol Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul, the deputy national police chief, said Wednesday (March 21) that police would coordinate with local administrators to designate zones where revelers can enjoy water splashing safely and devoid of all kinds of alcohol.

He said that police would strictly enforce alcohol control law by banning all alcoholic drinks in the zones designated for water festival.”

(Curtesy thai visa todays edition)

6 minutes ago, farcanell said:

You mean like this?

“Pol Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul, the deputy national police chief, said Wednesday (March 21) that police would coordinate with local administrators to designate zones where revelers can enjoy water splashing safely and devoid of all kinds of alcohol.

He said that police would strictly enforce alcohol control law by banning all alcoholic drinks in the zones designated for water festival.”

(Curtesy thai visa todays edition)

Well, would be nice if they were true to their word, but they won't be....just sound bites to make it look good. There will still be morons everywhere regardless doing whatever they want as the already sorry excuse for the law that normally exists will be further suspended into farce for these few days than it normally is.....facepalm.

9 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Well, would be nice if they were true to their word, but they won't be....just sound bites to make it look good. There will still be morons everywhere regardless doing whatever they want as the already sorry excuse for the law that normally exists will be further suspended into farce for these few days than it normally is.....facepalm.

Shock horror!

you mean you don’t believe the good general?

what to do, what to do?

lol... I recommend a pool party at home, with vodka and more vodka. ?

(with luck, the missus might throw in some molestation?)

16 hours ago, Happy enough said:

more than half. i find that highly unlikely from what i have seen in the past. some for sure but more than half. doubt that very much

said that in a 2016 survey of 1,793 women and girls aged from 10 to 40 85.9% of respondents said that measures should be put in place to protect females at Songkran.”

The key word in the report was “respondents” indicating such were the opinions of possibly a few rather than 1793 people. It is possible of 1793 people surveyed only 100 women responded, of them perhaps some had been assaulted. Surveys are usually contracted to prove a point. 

16 hours ago, Happy enough said:

more than half. i find that highly unlikely from what i have seen in the past. some for sure but more than half. doubt that very much

said that in a 2016 survey of 1,793 women and girls aged from 10 to 40 85.9% of respondents said that measures should be put in place to protect females at Songkran.”

The key word in the report was “respondents” indicating such were the opinions of possibly a few rather than 1793 people 

My first year here during sonkran I walked up and down Ladphrao Soi 101taking photos of the revelers. Most were obviously drunk. I took over 250 photos that night I didn’t see one person sexually assaulted. Just hundreds of people having fun on the street. Oh, and I don’t drink, so I was aware of what was happening around me. 

17 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Right. Groups with agendas fudge figures. You notice the report said "sexually harassed in some way", which in survey terms means everything from attempted rape to being winked at. In a Wisconsin study  on the perils of being female in a land ruled by toxic males, that particular harassment survey even included a "victim" as anyone having the back of her bra snapped by a female classmate during gym class.

And the other half go home disappointed.

18 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Right. Groups with agendas fudge figures. You notice the report said "sexually harassed in some way", which in survey terms means everything from attempted rape to being winked at. In a Wisconsin study  on the perils of being female in a land ruled by toxic males, that particular harassment survey even included a "victim" as anyone having the back of her bra snapped by a female classmate during gym class.

Has anyone ever thought of what it would be like to have a NO alcohol or drugs allowed festival? What a concept! I realize that is next to impossible now, especially with alcohol profit motives masquerading as holiday revelry for companies that sell alcohol, but you gotta wonder when did this all change from the cultural acknowledgement of the new year to the 'let's have a party and invite the world' concept... Things that make you go hmmmm...

1 hour ago, Jimdandy said:

Has anyone ever thought of what it would be like to have a NO alcohol or drugs allowed festival? What a concept! I realize that is next to impossible now, especially with alcohol profit motives masquerading as holiday revelry for companies that sell alcohol, but you gotta wonder when did this all change from the cultural acknowledgement of the new year to the 'let's have a party and invite the world' concept... Things that make you go hmmmm...

As with a lot of things the change was one of small increments, hardly noticeable year on year, but a change on the whole. Things tend to get really supercharged when someone realises there is money to be made (as you said), then away it goes exponentially. A lot of festivals in Australia now have designated drinking areas, usually more than 50% of the area is alcohol free. Works well, I am a drinker and I don't mind it, but it would require a decision, follow through and policing, so I can't see it happening in Thailand

22 hours ago, webfact said:

What were called "Community Checkpoints" should be set up to encourage correct behavior on the roads.

He also said in other comments that Thais should think about recycling and not wasting valuable resources at Songkran.

First comment:  Better than nothing BUT the RTP should be doing their job ALL YEAR ROUND!

Second comment: "think about"? Are you joking? "recycling etc" should be done all year round not just Songkran!  

1 hour ago, Blackheart1916 said:

As with a lot of things the change was one of small increments, hardly noticeable year on year, but a change on the whole. Things tend to get really supercharged when someone realises there is money to be made (as you said), then away it goes exponentially. A lot of festivals in Australia now have designated drinking areas, usually more than 50% of the area is alcohol free. Works well, I am a drinker and I don't mind it, but it would require a decision, follow through and policing, so I can't see it happening in Thailand

I think you are spot on with your assessment of not ever seeing it happen in Thailand; at least not in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Must admit Songkran has gone in a very bad direction and only getting worse.  Reflection on Thais tourists.  I think more on the tourists myself.

Yeah a lot on 'miseducated' tourists and I also wonder how much influence Thias who have traveled abroad during some of the wild events in other countries have been trying to influence 'the old way'.

1 minute ago, joeyg said:

Must admit Songkran has gone in a very bad direction and only getting worse.  Reflection on Thais tourists.  I think more on the tourists myself.

1 minute ago, Jimdandy said:

Yeah a lot on 'miseducated' tourists and I also wonder how much influence Thias who have traveled abroad during some of the wild events in other countries have been trying to influence 'the old way'.

I used to love Songkran even at my age.  Last year heading home I was on the back of a bhat bus.  This idiot ran up and point blank hit me in the face with a bucket of water From the Barracuda Bar.  Nasty stupid guys there. It broke my sunglasses and brought me to my knees on the back of the bhat bus.  When I regained my wits I got off and was going to lay into him I walked back we argued and his crew mocked and threatened me.  i thought it best to get out of there.

20 hours ago, Ossy said:

Did I say groping was OK? Nothing of the sort. I very clearly stated that's it's in everyone's common-sense interests to keep out of arm's length of the sexy drunks. There has to be some value in that approach, surely.

Quite, there has to be a certain amount of caution observed. Last year we were on Suk and there was a stream of pickups heading for Bang Saen. As we passed the junction I could hear the loudspeakers and asked my wife what that was about. She said they are telling females not to wear clothes that turn transparent when wet or they would be charged with indecency.

A step in the right direction as I am sure a percentage of the girls take the opportunity to show off and tease and put themselves and others at risk.

There is no doubt that alcohol is a major factor and steps have been taken to curtail the numbers and drinking in back of pickups.

23 hours ago, Ossy said:

What, like being held down, mouth wedged open, whilst booze was poured in? Being forced to drink is a lot different from being persuaded to drink. If you don't want to drink, don't drink and if that means choosing new friends, do that.

Right girls . . . let's try to be 100% honest and truthful. If your drinking contributed to your being groped, it has to be more your own fault than that of the boozy boys that you could, if you'd made the effort, have avoided. You don't have to walk within arms length of these cretins and most sensible folk would simply make sure they didn't. There's keeping out of trouble and there's asking for trouble . . . the choice is yours, more than Thailand's boozy New Year.

First paragraph- yes, absolutely correct.  Second paragraph- no, absolutely missing the point and sounding like victim-blaming.  Perhaps you should advise all young ladies to lock themselves indoors during the 'festivities'.  Or did I misunderstand you?    :huh:

Archived