Good Mattress

been2c

3 hours ago, Riojasue said:

Also I’ve had bad experiences of overheating with memory foam mattresses

Memory foam is not like latex.  You can also sink into a pit and require an effort to roll out of it.

And as you said they heat up. 

4 hours ago, amexpat said:

Memory foam is not like latex.  You can also sink into a pit and require an effort to roll out of it.

And as you said they heat up. 

Yes, memory foam is not latex. I have used latex mattresses for more than 20 years back home and it never ever sinks.

8 hours ago, elektrified said:

Go to Central and buy yourself a Sealy Posturepedic. I think we paid 25K on sale. One of the best mattresses in the world.

+1   If no sale at Central, there is a furniture store on the street where the original Kasem Store is located, same side down about 60 meters just before the parking  lot.  They sell Sealy and will negotiate prices.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, Riojasue said:

We recently bought a Dunlopillow Mattress called Grace from Homepro and it’s honestly the best mattress we’ve ever had, including a ludicrously expensive one from John Lewis in the UK. Delivery was free and I think the 6ft version was about 25,000. Hubby has a horrendous degenerating back condition and he’s sleeping like a baby for the first time in years.

The potential issue isn't what the mattress is like now or the year after you bought it. The issue is what the spring mattress is like 3 years or 5 years or more after you buy it. I'm talking in general about spring mattresses sold here, not specifically about Dunlopillow.

Even a lot of the foreign brand name mattresses here are made locally by locals of local materials. Take that for what it's worth. There are real actual imported mattresses here, but I think they're exceptionally expensive as you might expect.

The potential issue isn't what the mattress is like now or the year after you bought it. The issue is what the spring mattress is like 3 years or 5 years or more after you buy it. I'm talking in general about spring mattresses sold here, not specifically about Dunlopillow.

My 6000B Ikea foam mattress is fine after several years, and I am no lightweight.

When it dies I will just buy another. I can do that several times and still not spend what a "good" mattress would cost me here.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

My 6000B Ikea foam mattress is fine after several years, and I am no lightweight.

When it dies I will just buy another. I can do that several times and still not spend what a "good" mattress would cost me here.

6000 B is inexpensive but if it cost the same as latex, might as well buy latex. 

If it serves you fine after so many years, then it's a good bargain but there are different type of foam, some are poor quality some better.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Even a lot of the foreign brand name mattresses here are made locally by locals of local materials. Take that for what it's worth. There are real actual imported mattresses here, but I think they're exceptionally expensive as you might expect.

Right. We tried to get a name brand Thai mattress we had one time years ago replaced/repaired as there were literally craters in it. It was only about 2 1/2 years old and we spent about 17K Baht on it. The seller came over to look and take photos and was very unhappy. He went back and forth with the factory and called us about 5 times to say that he had tried hard to get some satisfaction but the company would not honor the warranty. He and every other place we went looking after that for a new mattress told us "Sealy Posturepedic", that the 10 year warranty with them is honored. The customer only has to pay the shipping cost each way and they will repair the mattress to new specifications. It is now about 5 years since we bought our Sealy Posturepedic  and it is as good as it was the day we bought it.

That's good to hear. I noticed after the poster mentioned Dunpillo above that their website seems to talk about 8-10 year warranties on their mattresses. When we shopped last year at places like HomePro and Robinson's, most of the better mattresses there seemed to have 10 year warranties.

IKEA mattresses, if memory serves, come with a 20 or 25 year warranty.

But at the end of the day, of course, what matters just as much as the term of the warranty is how the company behind it actually honors the warranty, or does the typical Thai business thing of doing everything possible to avoid honoring their post-sale commitments.

Last time we bought, I actually was going to buy an IKEA mattress in Bangna, but the model we wanted was out of stock at that time for at least a month, so we ended up buying elsewhere. But it would be interesting to hear any experiences people have had with IKEA Thailand in terms of honoring their warranties or being difficult to deal with.

But it would be interesting to hear any experiences people have had with IKEA Thailand in terms of honoring their warranties or being difficult to deal with.

I think the Ikea warranty policy on mattresses is confusing and it does not cover all mattresses. That said, my Ikea foam mattress is fine and has never needed a warranty claim.

I only had one experience with Ikea after-sales. The plastic arms on a chair (not cheap) I bought broke within a few months simply because of bad design. Ikea offered no refund and were unable to source spare parts even though the item was still on sale. They made no attempt to help apart from saying "if ever we get some spares we will contact you". I did not hear from them again. A few months later the item was removed from sale globally. So I would describe their after-sales service as minimal or bad, just like most Thai companies.

In the end I had a local metal shop make two steel brackets for a couple of hundred Baht and I easily fitted these behind the broken plastic arms where they are totally invisible and work perfectly. Now why couldn't Ikea either source some steel brackets like that or simply design the thing with steel brackets built in?

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I think the Ikea warranty policy on mattresses is confusing and it does not cover all mattresses. That said, my Ikea foam mattress is fine and has never needed a warranty claim.

When I was mattress shopping at IKEA last year, all the spring mattresses I looked at had that 20 or 25 year IKEA warranty.

How IKEA Thailand does or doesn't honor those warranties, obviously, is a separate question.

For mattress topper also check amazon.com (surprisingly). The best mattress I ever had was a queen 1.5 inch memory foam 4.5 inch high density foam so ordering a 2 inch memory foam topper is the perfect solution assuming your mattress doesn't have one of those sags that causes my back pain just make sure your sheets can handle the extra height or buy microfiber sheets too ;) The price is comparable to Thai prices and the reviews speak for themselves

A couple of years ago we called Sealy for service on an 8 year old box spring that had a broken rib. It was picked up, repaired and reinstalled without any fees. They also set up a loaner for us that was in new condition.

Even better, the loaner had feet/legs that were nicer than ours and was a bit taller (so our Roomba could make it under without getting stuck). When we enquired to how we could purchase a set of this newer style. They went ahead and swapped the legs from the loaner out for our old ones, at no charge.

I couldn't be happier with the service I received, it was definitely worth the premium we paid for a name brand.

As for the mattress, it is still extremely comfortable after 10 years of (heavy) use.

3 hours ago, Lordfoul said:

A couple of years ago we called Sealy for service on an 8 year old box spring that had a broken rib. It was picked up, repaired and reinstalled without any fees. They also set up a loaner for us that was in new condition.

Even better, the loaner had feet/legs that were nicer than ours and was a bit taller (so our Roomba could make it under without getting stuck). When we enquired to how we could purchase a set of this newer style. They went ahead and swapped the legs from the loaner out for our old ones, at no charge.

I couldn't be happier with the service I received, it was definitely worth the premium we paid for a name brand.

As for the mattress, it is still extremely comfortable after 10 years of (heavy) use.

Were you dealing with Sealy Thailand, or some retailer selling Sealy products?

• 4 months later...
On 3/24/2018 at 1:59 PM, transam said:

The best I ever had was a Dunlopillow..:stoner:

Mine is 17 years old and well past its best.

I am looking for another and after 2 hours of trying to find one store in KPP I managed to find it, It is painted yellow but off the beaten track.

There are some good latex mattresses there around 15k or so but I didn't take the time for a good look around.

They come with free delivery, 2 pillows, 2 bolsters and a 10 year warranty. At 74 it will probably be the last mattress I will buy. 

I like a very firm mattress. We've had good luck having foam mattresses custom-made at a shop at the NE internal corner of the moat, a few doors down from Song Jakayan. The shop makes mattresses and covers for massage tables, but can make anything, like 6-8 inch thick queen-sized mattresses. I think we paid 5-6000. We always wait a week before sleeping to let the glue smell disappear. 

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Post #26 refers to buying a mattress from HomePro?...

I think he means #46. But you will find that the cost for delivery by IKEA is not to be believed - yet that's the price. When we got an IKEA mattress for a child, IKEA wanted about 3,600 Baht to deliver it to Chiang Mai! Solution: the wife found many people on the Internet who offer a service and will go in to IKEA for you, purchase the item you want, and then cart if to a trucking company nearby and drop it off for shipping to Chiang Mai. They charge 500 Baht for the service and the trucking to C.M. cost us 300 Baht. We had to go p/u the mattress at a warehouse on Chang Klan.

Archived