Keeping a cool head - hard work pays off for Thai hero

rooster59

Keeping a cool head - hard work pays off for Thai hero

By Lerpong Amsa-ngiam 
The Nation

6d03fb23f79f761a86cfdaf2b1bcfc24.jpeg

Kawin Thamasatchanan reacts after saving an attempt from Gabon.

Fans around Rajamangala National Stadium held their breath as Thailand and Gabon entered a penalty shoot-out in their opening King’s Cup tie on Thursday.

Anxiety turned to joy moments later as Thailand goalkeeper Kawin Thamsatchanan kept out the African visitors’ first two spot-kicks before his teammates played their part in leading the War Elephants to a thrilling 4-2 shoot-out win to earn their place in Sunday evening’s final against Slovakia.

The 28-year-old Bangkokian’s heroics were evidence that life in Europe is already paying off, even after just two months with Belgian Division 2 side Oh Leuven. 

More than anything, he showed an ability to keep his cool at the crucial moment.

“I have been through a lot of pressure in Belgium,” said the well-built, 1.83m-tall keeper. 

“When you live away from home and have to prove yourself against players who are better, there’s a lot of tension. I have to be really patient.  It’s very useful for me when I’m in a tough situation.”

93d4cfa02d22396af671ce23bcf75391.jpeg

However, the first Thai goalkeeper to play professionally in Europe does not want Thursday’s victory to be credited to him alone.

“In the end it’s a group effort – you cannot win a game by depending on a single person. Every player in the team gave everything they had to come up with the result,” added Kawin, who has played twice for OH Leuven since signing a five-year-deal in January.

Most of all, he says he owes a debt to his goalkeeper coach, Sasa Todic of Serbia, who has helped sharpen his game to where it is at the moment.

“He has been coaching me in so many ways,” said Kawin, who is widely respected for his work ethic and self-discipline. “I have to thank him for his trust and helping me prepare before games.

Thailand’s task will be tougher on Sunday evening, against world No 29 Slovakia. The game will kick off at 7.30pm after the third place play-off between the United Arab Emirates and Gabon. 

For Kawin this will be one of the most important matches of his life as Thailand seek to complete a hat-trick of King’s Cup triumphs.

“Our mission is not over yet. We need to make sure that the cup remains on home soil,” added Kawin.

Fans can watch both the third-place game (4.30pm) and the final on Thai Rath TV 32.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30341663

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-24

Archived