Amazing and lovely Thai people: Expat praises Hua Hin locals for returning his wallet

rooster59

Amazing and lovely Thai people: Expat praises Hua Hin locals for returning his wallet

20180323_183756.jpg

Two Thai men have been praised for returning a wallet containing 12,000 baht in cash to a Norwegian man in Hua Hin.

Expat Per Knutsen told Thaivisa how after a shopping trip on Saturday he went to fill up his motorcycle with gasoline only to realise his wallet was missing.

Unable to pay, he left his mobile phone as a deposit at the gas station and attempted to retrace his steps to find his wallet, which contained driving licenses, bank cards and 12,000 baht in cash.

"I was completely knocked out when I thought of all the misery I was going through to replace my lost values", Mr Knutsen said.

After driving against the traffic there was no sign of his wallet on the ground so he went to a friends house to borrow the 100 baht so he could pay for the gasoline.

When his friend heard what had happened he said: "Yes, there's probably a happy Thai someplace now thanking the Buddha for letting him get your well-stocked wallet."

After returning to the gas station, Mr Knutsen reported his wallet lost at Hua Hin police station.

“Here I was greeted by a nice police woman who asked for my name, then she went away, but returned after 2 minutes... with my wallet completely intact”.

“I was both delighted and shocked.  It had not been more than 40 minutes since I discovered the loss of my wallet.

“I thanked the smiling police woman at the front desk and asked if they had a telephone number to the honest finder. She had and I asked if she could call  them and ask for a meeting”, Mr Knutsen said.

“Five minutes later they arrived on a scooter. I thanked so much and would give them a reward, but they would not accept it until I absolutely insisted on giving them this reward.

“After all they had saved me for many days of work replacing my values as well as other serious concerns.

“Then they drove off before I got their names”.

“I never will forget about this lovely experience and my love to the amazing and lovely Thai people has grown to an even higher level now, Mr Knutsen said.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-25

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

After driving against the traffic there was no sign of his wallet on the ground so he went to a friends house to borrow the 100 baht so he could pay for the gasoline.

He did however have five near misses ............:sorry:

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Good and bad in Thailand as everywhere else,.. this time it was good. I was the friend he called,. We just been to the beach and had lunch,.. then we split for some grocery shopping and to meet up later. I was quite amazed when he called me from police station and told they already had his wallet with all his credentials and even the money,.. wow,.. it was 12.000 baht,.. and for some Thais that is a lot money. There are incidents where cabbies return even a lot more than this,.. that is also truly amazing,... Though none the less,.. all the annoyances we have to put up with living in Thailand,. there are also the sum of the little ones,.. and I try never to let those go me by,.. 

Have a nice day,.. and try to cheer up a little bit all you,.. 

#sad #cranky #miserable #scorned thaivisa commenters,... ???????????☀️☀️

Lost my wallet, with a lot of cash and everything else inside a few years ago in Suratthani.
The restaurant owner
(where I lost it)
drove the same night to main police station. Next day morning (Sunday) police called me on my cell to pick up my wallet at the station.
Nothing was missing!
Of course, the restaurant owner got a big tip later on!
There are a many good people in Thailand too...

8 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

A nice feel good story for once with a happy ending. Hats off to the two Thai men. It's a shame there are not more guys out there like these two honest citizens. :thumbsup:

their are many more people in thailand willing to help you than their are not willing to help you.    same same every country in the world.  i would put it at 99%

Ann lost her wallet two years ago,came home crying.No problem i told her everything is replacable,she did go and got an new id card and when she came home her wallet was in the mailbox,her license,id card

and other stuff were still there.The only thing missing 40 baht and my picture,still don't know what to think about that.

8 hours ago, jvs said:

Ann lost her wallet two years ago,came home crying.No problem i told her everything is replacable,she did go and got an new id card and when she came home her wallet was in the mailbox,her license,id card

and other stuff were still there.The only thing missing 40 baht and my picture,still don't know what to think about that.

the 40 baht missing was for mail cost, and possibly gas,

the missing photo coz u sexy, or it was lost

We forgot my wife's handbag on White Sand Beach in Koh Chang, it was brought back to the reception of our hotel, by one of the beach toy sellers we had some chit chat with. 

Worth quoting here one my best half's pearls of wisdom: "Teerag, here we have people of many different levels.."

He’s lucky I didn’t find it. 

On a a more serious note though, the reward part of he story I find awkward. Maybe it is just me but I almost always feel a gift of some kind is much better than shoving cash in someone’s face. How much did he give them? Was it too much, not even close to enough? How do the two guys split it? Maybe one of them found it and the other guy was just there. I know I’m being nit picky but that’s just the way I see rewards. 

Archived