Need a Few Handyman

st11x

G'day,

I just got back to Chiang Mai and needed some handyman to fix my place. Foremost, my water pump is running quite constantly and I need a chang to diagnose and fix the problem. 

I also need contacts to fix the mosquito nets, sliding doors, outdoor shelters, and landscapers. 

If you have any good contacts, please PM me. 

thanks

Matt

4 hours ago, Dante99 said:

those guys don't travel much, where are you?

mosquito nets or screens?

sliding aluminum doors or wood?

check to see if you have a broken pipe or a valve open before doing pump work

I'm at Norn Hoi. I need the screens fixed, they have come off at the the corners and a couple of them torn by pets (I guess). 

Sliding aluminium doors, the frames got detached from the glass, I guess it's also time to change them.

The outdoor shelters are wood frames with poly roofs. Some of the frame were attacked by bugs.

We have checked everywhere for water leaks, but we couldn't find the source.We are worried the pipes may be broken inside the walls. Most people are telling us that it's the buried tank, we don't know how to check that either.

Matt

Matt, You may well be better off asking your neighbours for recommendations .Getting harder to find good tradesmen and often they just dont turn up.The guys that do our work are great but wont work outside of the village

On 3/25/2018 at 5:01 PM, Sparkles said:

Matt, You may well be better off asking your neighbours for recommendations .Getting harder to find good tradesmen and often they just dont turn up.The guys that do our work are great but wont work outside of the village

We did, and they don't have too many recommendations either. When we do call someone, they are either busy, only back after Song Kan, or simply not interested. 

We got someone recommended to us to come look at the water problem. Thousands of baht later, he is still nowhere close to finding anything even though he is "sure" 2 or 3 solutions ago will work. Such is life!

Matt

For water pumps/tanks contact Ang Thong on Charoenrat Rd.

For aluminium there is a store on the moat road near Chiang mai Gate but not sure if they do repairs. You can buy the mozzie netting on a roll and replace by yourself, it is pretty easy. There is a shop on Sridonchai Rd opposite HomeMart that has the netting.

13 minutes ago, cmsally said:

For aluminium there is a store on the moat road near Chiang mai Gate but not sure if they do repairs. You can buy the mozzie netting on a roll and replace by yourself, it is pretty easy. There is a shop on Sridonchai Rd opposite HomeMart that has the netting.

Thanks for the recommendations. We'll look them up.

I looked at the mosquito nets and how they are attached to the frames. I don't know how I can change it myself, got to explore that more. Maybe those guys at HomeMart can show me.

thanks

Matt 

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

You probably have the sliding ones , which are decidedly more tricky and best to get someone to do it for you.

A search in Thai brought this up. Most have phone numbers.

Aluminium mozzie screens

Also the aluminium place on the moat road is called Thonburi aluminium but I don't know if they do the screens

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Matt

On 3/28/2018 at 8:01 AM, st11x said:

Thanks for the recommendations. We'll look them up.

I looked at the mosquito nets and how they are attached to the frames. I don't know how I can change it myself, got to explore that more. Maybe those guys at HomeMart can show me.

thanks

Matt 

It's quite easy. My wife changes them herself. There is a tool you need to buy. It's about 20-40 Baht in material per frame compared to the shops which charge 150 for a small frame, 200-250 for a medium frame and 300+ for a screen door frame.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:04 AM, elektrified said:

It's quite easy. My wife changes them herself. There is a tool you need to buy. It's about 20-40 Baht in material per frame compared to the shops which charge 150 for a small frame, 200-250 for a medium frame and 300+ for a screen door frame.

I saw the tool at HomePro Hang Dong. But they didn't have black nets (they had gray ones) nor did they have the seal around the frame (out of stock). HomePro at Big C Extra was out of stock as well. Global didn't have any at all. Did those contractors buy them all up! 

Matt

Most of the people who do this kind of work want the big jobs and not little one day gigs.  I agree asking neighbors can be a good start.  Somebody always seems to know someone who can fix anything in this country.  Whether they are competent or not is another matter.

There is a Thai smartphone app called Fixzy you might want to try.  It's not a great app and people may or may not respond but I did get one guy who did do a great bathtub plumbing repair job through that app.   It's worth a try.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:36 AM, stargazer9999 said:

Most of the people who do this kind of work want the big jobs and not little one day gigs.  I agree asking neighbors can be a good start.  Somebody always seems to know someone who can fix anything in this country.  Whether they are competent or not is another matter.

That is exactly the problem. We got recommended to a water chang who is from the water department. We thought that would be a good start. 

He started the job debugging our water issues. Even though I had no training, I can reason well and some things that seem obvious are not to him. I had to question and correct his thought process at times, and he doesn't seem to be happy about it.

After a few days of coming late, no answering phone, not coming, etc, he managed to get the job done to a certain extent. Today he was here again to do a big job of moving the water tank. One of my neighbors questioned his decision to place the water pump on the floor and he got mad, drove out angrily and came back making a lot of noise to finish up the job. 

He produced receipts but overcharged us by 1K or more. We just paid up, decided not to call him anymore, and just find another chang to finish up the job. Hope karma finds its way back.

In case you ever come across him, he droves a blue truck from the water department, license number 2456. I don't have the Thai characters.

Bad luck, but glad this episode is over. Next handyman adventure awaits.

Matt

This is the big reason we live in a condo where the building has a wonderful chang whom we can call upon for these minor repair jobs.  For more major repair jobs, the office secretary, i.e. the brains of the operation, will ask us when we'll be home, phone a contractor and presto, someone will show up at the appointed time to take care of whatever problem we have.  All the work that the building chang or the contractors selected by the building secretary has been done wonderfully and at a good price.

On 03/04/2018 at 11:36 AM, stargazer9999 said:

There is a Thai smartphone app called Fixzy you might want to try.  It's not a great app and people may or may not respond but I did get one guy who did do a great bathtub plumbing repair job through that app.   It's worth a try.

Can you really blame them, they can make a lot more money on other gigs, the little one day gigs just don't pay enough. 

14 minutes ago, NancyL said:

This is the big reason we live in a condo where the building has a wonderful chang whom we can call upon for these minor repair jobs.  For more major repair jobs, the office secretary, i.e. the brains of the operation, will ask us when we'll be home, phone a contractor and presto, someone will show up at the appointed time to take care of whatever problem we have.  All the work that the building chang or the contractors selected by the building secretary has been done wonderfully and at a good price.

I would go crazy if I didn't have a garden to wonder into, my space......:stoner:

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/03/2018 at 7:45 AM, cmsally said:

Hi and thanks for this.  Do you have a phone number or a locaiton on Charoenrat please ?

Rohitsuk

I'm at Norn Hoi. I need the screens fixed, they have come off at the the corners and a couple of them torn by pets (I guess). 

Sliding aluminium doors, the frames got detached from the glass, I guess it's also time to change them.

The outdoor shelters are wood frames with poly roofs. Some of the frame were attacked by bugs.

We have checked everywhere for water leaks, but we couldn't find the source.We are worried the pipes may be broken inside the walls. Most people are telling us that it's the buried tank, we don't know how to check that either.

Matt
Is that anywhere near Nong Hoi?

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Archived