Whats wrong with you foreigners

Ive just had to go and do some paperwork at the Immigration office , but before doing that I went with my wife to the Mall to do some shopping . Strolling around the mall  I often see other foreigners some times they are walking alone some times they are with their Thai partners. So on this occasion while walking around with my Thai wife there coming towards me was a lone male foreigner and as we started to pass each other , I smiled and just said in a friendly way Hi :biggrin:

In  my mind it was just one foreigner in a foreign land greeting another foreigner , nothing more than me trying to be pleasant .  The foreigner obviously heard my greeting and glared back at me with an angry look on his face and proceeded to silently walk straight on by :angry:

I though no more about it until a bit later as we continued to stroll around , there coming towards me was another lone foreigner.  So again I smiled and just said Hi in a friendly sort of way.  This time as soon as the foreigner heard my Hi he instantly dropped his head and looked at the floor as he walked straight on past me .

Fast forward to the immigration office , so there we are my self and wife waiting for the door to open after lunch . Sitting on the bench waiting was a western foreigner ( I could see his passport ) so I thought I would just try to break the boredom and say Hi to him . Well on hearing my friendly Hi he frowned  , got up and shuffled away not even acknowledging me at all :angry:

Ok the office door is unlocked and we proceed inside to get my paper work checked  , then take a seat to wait for my number to be called . So I sat down next to a foreign gentleman and yes I smiled and said to him , hello . Nothing .

As I sat there now wondering if trying to be friendly towards other foreigners was in fact a bad idea, when in walked a woman who I assumed was a Thai national , she came over and sat in a vacant chair right next to me . Now wincing from my recent ordeal of being ignored I decided to say nothing to her,  when she turned to me with a smile and said '' Hi how are you '' in English .

It turns out she was from the philippines and teaching English . 

I know some may say that its silly to expect a complete stranger to acknowledge some one they don't know and to some foreigners it may feel a bit unnerving . But in my simple mind all I'm doing is to try and be friendly to other foreigners who have a common bond of being in Thailand .

So I'm now wondering if my recent experience of being ignored by other foreigners is some thing that others here have come across . When your out and about do you try and say some thing even its just a quick simple Hi to other foreigners you come across or do you tend to try and pass any approaching foreigners and you stay silent . 

If you are out and about and an unknown foreigner you come across says some thing like Hi or hello to you , how do you react .

:WPFflags:

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Once Bitten said:

If you are out and about and an unknown foreigner you come across says some thing like Hi or hello to you , how do you react .

I put my head down, pretend to have not heard him and walk in the other direction . I have no desire to talk to strangers , 90% of the time, they want something 

In your home country, you say hi to everybody? Im surprised when a falang greats me everywhere I go, when going somewhere in Thailand, because im a western and we suddenly have something in common. Happens more often when I walk with my gf. It is not Normal in my country. Being polite and friendly have nothing to do about greet stranger in the street, or public offices.  Even more od is the strangers greet us when we are sitting at restaurants, and for some reasons need to start conversation with us when we privatly having a meal. 

If you live in same condo, at the swimmingpool it is another story, yes you might disturb, but know your time when and where. 

Being an American polite, greet everyone with Hi how are you walking past, have always confused me. 

First it is racist and stupid to assume people speak English because they appear to have a white face. This isn’t America. What is “Hi!”? Something a child says. In England was once considered polite to greet passersby “How do you do?” Various cultures here, all have different standards. I was told if a stranger smiles at you in Russia you call a policeman. A Russian man wears a grimace, not a silly grin.

Everyone in my Condo is very friendly, we greet each other, help the old people with their packages, mostly Thai. Well last year before the AirBnB ban I got on the elevator and was surprised by an unfamiliar couple. The woman was in a full Birka, with only slots of a metallic eye mask showing. . I got the feeling I wasn’t supposed to say Hello to her. Was I wrong?

Then you have the Foreign weirdos who think they are superior and avoid all contact with other aliens for whatever reasons. I just bow subtlety to people. If they want to talk I’ll leave it up to them.

They probably think you are weird, some grinning simpleton smiling and speaking to them for no reason. I would not say hello to random passerbys in my home country so not sure why i would do here. If someone did make eye contact and say something, i am sure i would acknowledge them, but i don't have any interest in engaging further than a cursory nod.

Completely different if you are around somewhere you know well where i would be more inclined to greet people.

Are immigration open on Sunday?

This is such a common event that I simply do not care anymore. I had one guy say hello to me in tesco and I said hello back. I had one guy recently begin speaking to me whilst shopping with family who seemed a bit of an odd ball. I will exchange pleasantries but I will not initiate them. Weird but I do keep bumping into the same faces when out and about in town doing errands.

Had a funny chat with a Canadian in vientiane last year who I could tell was a TV member by his discussions and quoting of certain stories. I asked him outright about this and he denied it but I could tell he was fibbing and so could he.

7 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

There was a time when that was a fairly normal thing to do though.

When was that?

Time and place for everything... and walking up to strangers with a silly grin on your face while saying 'hi' in a shopping mall, immigration centre or on the street is not the right place!

I no longer tolerate these people after making the mistake to be polite to them only to get trapped into a boring one way 'conversation' with some fruit cake about how much land / money they have, how they have a super successful business here, or are some high flying millionaire.  

OP, I don't know what nationality you are... but in my experience the kind of people that do this sort of thing are Americans.  

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

First it is racist and stupid to assume people speak English because they appear to have a white face. This isn’t America. What is “Hi!”? Something a child says. In England was once considered polite to greet passersby “How do you do?” Various cultures here, all have different standards. I was told if a stranger smiles at you in Russia you call a policeman. A Russian man wears a grimace, not a silly grin.

Everyone in my Condo is very friendly, we greet each other, help the old people with their packages, mostly Thai. Well last year before the AirBnB ban I got on the elevator and was surprised by an unfamiliar couple. The woman was in a full Birka, with only slots of a metallic eye mask showing. . I got the feeling I wasn’t supposed to say Hello to her. Was I wrong?

Then you have the Foreign weirdos who think they are superior and avoid all contact with other aliens for whatever reasons. I just bow subtlety to people. If they want to talk I’ll leave it up to them.

The expression "How do you do" is very formal and an expression you would not use unless you were being introduced to a person by a third party. I can't imagine the reaction of a lone male in a mall if someone came up to hims said "How do you do, my name is" 5555

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

. The woman was in a full Birka, with only slots of a metallic eye mask showing. .

By the Lords of coincidence!  She was on my lift yesterday.  I too, did not address her with proper English greetings nor colonial tones as I was scared to bits.

Screenshot_2018-03-25-17-24-15-551_com.android.chrome.png

Poor lost souls most of you are :smile:

Did you not read the poem recently posted on Thai visa penned by the late Spike Milligan

Cheer up fellas

Me? smile, nod, wave, at everyone I know in the village, and many I am not sure I know, those I know and meet in the local town, guess what? almost all smiles returned. I smile and say hello on the local baht bus, I guess I like people to see I am comfortable and happy in Thailand.

I think if I stopped smiling and nodding at people my wife would take me to the doctor!!

Farangs are hard work though :smile:

What is this crap about would you do it in your own country, I cycle to work I smile and wave at other cyclists, at pedestrians I meet regularly who move aside to let me pass, say good morning to the school crossing ladies on my way. On arrival at my office say good morning to every one I pass on the way to my desk!!

No way I expect everyone to be the same, after all, I learnt to cope with possible rejection a loooong time ago :smile:

I'd say hi back unless the guy looked like trouble then I'd probably ignore him.

I ignore Indian tailors, sunglasses sellers daily, I'm very good at it

I don’t even ignore them. I treat them as if I would treat an insect buzzing around. As the foreigners who approach on the street ( in BKK every day) asking for a small amount of money for bus fare or whatever. Liars!

Every. Single. One

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I don’t even ignore them. I treat them as if I would treat an insect buzzing around. As the foreigners who approach on the street ( in BKK every day) asking for a small amount of money for bus fare or whatever. Liars!

Every. Single. One

Sounds like an excellent way to get rid of all this Laotian Kip laying around.

OP you are right...Seems you and me are happy-go-lucky folk, float along on our trying to be happy existence..But alas there are many a farang who still live in their negative world, perhaps country thoughts, who knows....

BUT, as long as you and me stay focused on who we are and how we behave, we must dismiss the chaff and stay focused, never change...:stoner:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

OP you are right...Seems you and me are happy-go-lucky folk, float along on our trying to be happy existence..But alas there are many a farang who still live in their negative world, perhaps country thoughts, who knows....

BUT, as long as you and me stay focused on who we are and how we behave, we must dismiss the chaff and stay focused, never change...:stoner:

Screenshot_2018-03-25-17-37-58-029_com.android.chrome.png

could be any number of reasons.

1.  he's having a really, really bad day.

2.  he's simply a total douchebag.

3.  completely lost in thought, didn't notice you.

4.  recent transplant from china, used to hearing

and ignorng a thousand "haloooo's" every day.

5. he's on the lonely planet circuit, pretending to

be the first foreigner ever seen here.

6.  afraid of strangers in general

7.  thinks anyone approaching his is a scammer.

8.  been tricked into conversations by too many

witnesses wanting to save his soul

Have you also noticed you can make eye contact by accident with a Thai and say hello you get a friendly hello back.

Being friendly is being friendly it does not hurt to be friendly.

I do reply to anyone except some one who seems deranged or I feel may be a problem. This means most people would get  a positive reply.

When I first came to Thailand  often I would meet complete strangers travelling and end up sitting around eating and drinking together. by the end of the day.

The Thai seem to love it if you say hello. In the local market when I go many merchants see me and greet me every time i go there. Even if I never buy from them. Being friendly costs nothing.

Please do not be discouraged by the anti-social responses. Keep being civilized and polite. It's called class, and it is obvious that some people do not have any. Note too that there are alot of farang losers in Thailand. They were shunned and anti social in their homelands, so  one should not expect them to be different here.

I find that some cultures are more sociable than others. Today, as I waited for my driver as I had a coffee at Starbucks ,a nice Australian lady struck up a chat with me. Lovely older woman who was just being nice and asking for suggestions of where her teenagers might have some fun on their own.  Australians like to say hello and are good that way,  Your experience with the Pinoy was typical as they are very sociable and outgoing so it is normal for them to say hello.  Americans can be very  friendly too. On the other hand it is a rare Continental European who will be outwardly friendly here. Then there are the grouchy Russians who rarely talk to non Russians. The mainland Chinese and Japanese  don't speak English so don't expect much from them. Anyway, my point is that you should keep on doing what you are doing. I always  say good morning back or have a good day. It's a positive way to be and why you will outlive so many of the  negative Neds here.

28 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Every. Single. One

How is it in all the years I have been   in and out of Bangkok, no foreigner has ever approached me with a request for money? I was just in Bangkok  for a few days. Perhaps  it was because I was in Siam and not at Nana Plaza/Soi Cowboy. :sleepy:

Saying hello to complete strangers and marrying prostitutes seems to be unique to Thailand.

No normal person would do that in the West. The few times some weirdo looked me in the eyes and said hello there was a request for money. Last one said he just got out of jail and was starving. I told to him go rob a 7/11

Archived