Whats wrong with you foreigners

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

@Lee4life

You are right, I do greet locals when I feel there is normal, and I smile, but still do not shake hands with tailors, and tell them where I come from. You see my point? 

I am also walking smiling in the street, but it is because Im happy, not because I see strangers on street, and feel an urge to smile to them, unless there is a reason. It is just not so complicated, but I think people have a tendency to overthinging, and complicating even simple things, and make a problem out of it. 

Example local girls, do they greet you if walking alone? Im talking about rural girls who is not working in the "tourist industry", just ordinary girls out walking alone, and or with a thai man? Do they do that? 

I smile and say hello to Thais and farangs alike. Here in rural Thailand, Thai people nearly always smile and say hello back. Most Thai ladies will smile happily and wave wildly. My friend and I went cycling this morning (about 50 km through many rural villages) and most drivers and people smiled, yelled hello or gave a thumbs up. Ordinary girls, young and old, are always very friendly and seem to greet us like long lost friends.

My point is that we are living in Thailand. Why not smile and say hello like Thai people do? Mind you, I am not talking about tourist places or shopping centres where there are many farangs.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes,when I used to putt-putt about in the 5 villages* there were lots of Thai who just waved  or smiled..or called out"where you go?"

Mind you, I bet that there were plenty of people taking bets on just how long it would be before I crashed the putt-putt and they did donate numerous amulets-bless their cotton socks..:smile:

21 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

There is another fascinating and interesting world out there if you make the effort to explore it.

Agreed, but to say that it is necessary to have a social circle of Thai people to enter it is erroneous.

I have never found any restriction on doing anything in LOS whether I was by myself or with a Thai person.

Is  now  quite  clear as  to the phobic  mindset of  many  expat  or visiting pebbles in Thailand .

Where  is it in the  origins  of this  topic  is stated  that  nodding and  smiling was a factor?

Hey  hey,  sure there was  not a wink in there  too?

I thought  this was about  the  mutual acknowledgement  of  farang at moments in  daily street life.

But  now  it has denegrated into   discussion  about  the  presumed  intent  of individuals  to solicit something and then has moved on to the assumptionthat the local population inevitabley have similar  intent.

Yes.  such  can and does  happen.

But to come to some  descison that  it is  better to  avoid any contact, verbal or non verbal, on the  premise of some preconcieved threat demonstrates exactly the question originated  in  the topic !

What  really is wrong with you Foreigners?

On 3/27/2018 at 6:18 PM, Hummin said:

Thats what you think? 

Spain back in the 70íes I was just a small kid, but I knew what those ladies was, and what they did already back then. It is just normal world wide. Some places more than others, but same shit same vending. 

It's normal world wide.  Exactly. But not for some, Brits and Yanks.  There is also a, generational issue of men who have been blinded, by feminist propaganda. 

On 3/27/2018 at 6:21 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

Didn't see any hookers sitting outside bars in Spain during the 70s.

Spent a lot of time on Costa Blanca and Costa Del Sol.

I hear it's different now and sex is openly for sale everywhere.

Portugal around the docks in Lisbon had loads if clubs, and bars with working girls.  Perhaps you did not know what you we're seeing then in the Costa de Sol etc which anyway is not really Spain. 

People are entitled to their own privacy and space , even in public . No one else has the right to invade that privacy by distracting them by trying to engage them in random social greetings for no reason what so ever .

They are just seeking self gratification by the means of other people acknowledging them .

Theres a guy near me that offers free hugs, gives out hugs to anyone that wants them .

Maybe the OP can stand in the town square, offering free nods and smiles to anyone who wants them, rather than forcing them on other people

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

People are entitled to their own privacy and space , even in public . No one else has the right to invade that privacy by distracting them by trying to engage them in random social greetings for no reason what so ever .

They are just seeking self gratification by the means of other people acknowledging them .

Theres a guy near me that offers free hugs, gives out hugs to anyone that wants them .

Maybe the OP can stand in the town square, offering free nods and smiles to anyone who wants them, rather than forcing them on other people

So  you have a  problem with looking him  in the eye? 

8 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So  you have a  problem with looking him  in the eye? 

I wouldnt call it a problem, I would just prefer not too .

Looking at strangers in the eye for more than a few seconds is a sigh of aggression 

Recently I was walking past my local bar at closing time and some guys were making their way out , I looked from across the road to see whether I recognised anyone , some drunk guy glared back at me, in a "come on then, you wanna row" kind of way

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I wouldnt call it a problem, I would just prefer not too .

Looking at strangers in the eye for more than a few seconds is a sigh of aggression 

Recently I was walking past my local bar at closing time and some guys were making their way out , I looked from across the road to see whether I recognised anyone , some drunk guy glared back at me, in a "come on then, you wanna row" kind of way

Or  so  you  assumed?

Ok.  Can  believe. In that  instance.  But  is  it  always  so? Some  are  belligerant  in general, especially  when  drunk.

But widen the  scope  of  social  circumstance is it always so or do you expect it to be?

An  isolated experience  in a bar life  situation  can hardly  be  held as  typical of more  mundane situations.

Neutrality  of  demeanour does  not  prevent  acknowledgement of presence.

I really couldn't think of anything worse, especially when you are out with the missus, leaving her to sit there like a dummy.

I was waiting for a mate in a bar on Suk 33/1 a few weeks ago and a guy walked over and asked if he could use my lighter. No worries, but he then proceeded to sit and try and start up a conversation. Thankfully my mate rolled in a few minutes later and he got the clues to leave. 

Being a life long Spurs supporter,i recently spotted another Falang in an Arsenal shirt,i introduced myself with a head butt. Is that wrong?

Perfectly acceptable in uk culture, Thai’s would have a hard time understanding it especially if it was one on one !!

20 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Being a life long Spurs supporter,i recently spotted another Falang in an Arsenal shirt,i introduced myself with a head butt. Is that wrong?

Its quite normal .

Four of my Spurs mates walked past a Chelsea supporter and greeting him with a head butt as well .

The Chelsea supporter didnt even flinch , he knocked the head butter out with one single upper cut , swung his foot in the air , knocking another one out with his heel , then gave the other one a whack in the solar plexis and a knee to the face , then got the other in a head lock and rammed his fist up his nose .

And when all four were motionless on the ground , he urinated all over them

Antother ting, talking about having class, and being thai traditional polite. Do you see thai people with class wai and smile like some/most falangs do (wo smile and greet everyone and also wai) ???

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Antother ting, talking about having class, and being thai traditional polite. Do you see thai people with class wai and smile like some/most falangs do (wo smile and greet everyone and also wai) ???

I think times are changing, the antics of those with money, or authority, who perceive themselves as class, are becoming tolerated rather than respected.

On 3/30/2018 at 9:52 AM, sanemax said:

Its quite normal .

Four of my Spurs mates walked past a Chelsea supporter and greeting him with a head butt as well .

The Chelsea supporter didnt even flinch , he knocked the head butter out with one single upper cut , swung his foot in the air , knocking another one out with his heel , then gave the other one a whack in the solar plexis and a knee to the face , then got the other in a head lock and rammed his fist up his nose .

And when all four were motionless on the ground , he urinated all over them

Much as i hate Chelsea,this is the Filth{arsenal] we are talking about here.

Archived