Whats wrong with you foreigners

I generally have a small smile on my face when walking. If I pass someone and we happen to make eye contact, I'll widen my smile just a bit, either nod or say hello, and keep on walking. I don't approach strangers with a big grin saying 'Hi! I'm me from Planet Zenon. Nice to meet you!"  If someone does this to me, I'll smile back and keep walking. If I'm in a restaurant and someone starts talking to me, I may or may not continue the conversation, depending upon the book I happen to be reading at the time. Please note that I did NOT say 'if a 'farang' approached me. I react the same way with everyone; Thais, Farang, Chinese, Martians! Just being open, but not particularly gregarious.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a small town or far flung suburb where farangs are a relatively rare event I would usually say hello if we have made eye contact. Not really in central Bangkok or a resort. It is amazing the lengths some people go to to avoid eye contact. On occasion people have stopped and made conversation, no problem, but more frequent is the response the OP quotes.

I wonder how they respond when a Thai occasionally says hello - ignore him too.? I once had one jump off his bike and came over to chat and he gave me a 20 baht note "for friendship". One valid point is that many are not English speakers.

But does it keep anybody awake at night.? I doubt it.

27 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

could be any number of reasons.

1.  he's having a really, really bad day.

2.  he's simply a total douchebag.

3.  completely lost in thought, didn't notice you.

4.  recent transplant from china, used to hearing

and ignorng a thousand "haloooo's" every day.

5. he's on the lonely planet circuit, pretending to

be the first foreigner ever seen here.

6.  afraid of strangers in general

7.  thinks anyone approaching his is a scammer.

8.  been tricked into conversations by too many

witnesses wanting to save his soul

Are you describing sanemax.?

What good traits do men have? 

They usually smell. They are really stinky, disgusting, foul bastards actually, and the more you think about it the more you know I’m right. Many seem to be arrogant, domineering and the worst are the pretentious ones. About one out of 100 of them will actually give you a good conversation, so that’s out too as far as odds are concerned. 

Women on the other hand, Thai women, they don’t smell, they politely say “Ka” in the most dreamy way after every goddam sentence. They’re not rude or obnoxious, quite the opposite actually. Most Thai women are very confident but not arrogant in the slightest. 

I just have have trouble figuring out why I would want to even engage in any way with a foreign man. 

16 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

If I pass someone and we happen to make eye contact, I'll widen my smile just a bit, either nod or say hello, and keep on walking.

That's pretty much me too, in the past I've always ended up with the Fruit Loop if I've done anything more.

Pass me three times whilst shopping in Makro you may get actual words unless you're wearing a wife-beater and/or tattooed to the nines (RN tats do not count in the nine, but they're easy to spot).

If you have class, you have it, and no need to talk so loud about it! Just my two cent. Being so expressive about how you are, and not are advocating others who have an different opinion than you to be that sort of people, is not how a man with proud class would do. 

A stranger who says hi for no reason in an any urban setting is in my book a questionable character. I will say hi back, because it's polite, but then I will quickly move away. The OP sounds like the gushy type of person who will entrap you in unwanted conversation - the type I particularly want to avoid. Inevitably they will start with the personal questions - beginning with the inevitable 'what do you do?'. I don't share personal details of my life with strangers, and as it would be rude of me to say 'none of your business', I'd rather avoid the whole unnecessary discussion.

We often get asked by total strangers "where are you from"? No greeting just the upfront question.  When I ignore the question the reply is always: I'm American. 

On our summer holidays in the Alps in Europe people you pass on the way, at a bus stop will always say gruess gott, gruezi or servas. It would be rude to ignore it. 

If I pass a farang I'll smile and nod, like I'd do back home, but what gets me are the ones that deliberately avoid eye contact, as if they are scared I'll ask them for money if they acknowledge my existence.

On the bus, I'll try to start a conversation with a friendly looking tourist, and have had some interesting chats, but sometimes I wish I hadn't bothered as some of them are weird, and it ends in one of those uncomfortable silences.

58 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you have class, you have it, and no need to talk so loud about it! Just my two cent. Being so expressive about how you are, and not are advocating others who have an different opinion than you to be that sort of people, is not how a man with proud class would do. 

I would say in Thailand class is shown by 'how you treat others who can do nothing for you in return' (That line is borrowed from somewhere)

Perhaps we have found the reason many farang are so miserable - they remain silent and insular to maintain some inward desire to prove they have class......ok right.... got it!

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I would say in Thailand class is shown by 'how you treat others who can do nothing for you in return' (That line is borrowed from somewhere)

Perhaps we have found the reason many farang are so miserable - they remain silent and insular to maintain some inward desire to prove they have class......ok right.... got it!

Well this is going to a dead end discussion. However, Thailand is and will be a country who attracts all kinds of people, and some have class and some have not. Either way will not approve you have it or not, only by what you do. Simple as that, and walking around greet stranger, have nothing to do about it. I am not greeting stranger, but I will not be a stranger if someone nice approche me, I will be polite back, there is no question about it. I may not like it, but whats so ever, I have nothing to gain by being rude. Just know your timing, and do not disturb people unecessery. Is that to hard? 

Walking at a rural marked backcountry, you do not see any locals approaching you, and want to greet you, do you? Except they have something funny to comment, or sell you, they do not do that. I do not see my gf or her family going around and greet everyone at the marked either, and I think they would be imbarressed if did so to. 

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Well this is going to a dead end discussion. However, Thailand is and will be a country who attracts all kinds of people, and some have class and some have not. Either way will not approve you have it or not, only by what you do. Simple as that, and walking around greet stranger, have nothing to do about it. I am not greeting stranger, but I will not be a stranger if someone nice approche me, I will be polite back, there is no question about it. I may not like it, but whats so ever, I have nothing to gain by being rude. Just know your timing, and do not disturb people unecessery. Is that to hard? 

Walking at a rural marked backcountry, you do not see any locals approaching you, and want to greet you, do you? Except they have something funny to comment, or sell you, they do not do that. I do not see my gf or her family going around and greet everyone at the marked either, and I think they would be imbarressed if did so to. 

Walking in a local market probably 60% of the people I will have nodded to and smiled at previously, they remember me and have no problem catching my eye and intiating a smile as they know it will be returned.

Of the other 40% around half will look over the foreigner, often I will catch their eye and smile at them just to put them at their ease :smile: the others will mostly be Thai male and I may nod recognition,  or be farang who will never see me because they appear to be searching the ground in front of them for lost change, or taking a sudden intense interest in the womens underwear stall on the opposite side of the path to me!!

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

@473geo

As I said, Time and place works for most, if they continius looking for approval of beeing seen or heard ;-)

I think most Thai people are attracted, pleased, and relaxed by a genuine smile,  they are in general quite shy. I would never wish to give the impression to Thai people especially children I am some sort of miserable glowering Farang monster. 

You are of course welcome to your assumption that somebody who is ultra confident and personable is somehow seeking approval :smile: I can assure you, it is easier to not worry what people really think, if, at least, on the face of it you treat them with a modicum of decorum and respect.

Ignorance - doesn't quite cut it in my opinion - however classy it may make one feel

However I can accept that people have the right to choose their own contacts, and their follow their own path.... does not surprise me when they drop off the cliff into the valley of misery and despair is all :smile: at least there they appear to find similar company, and who knows perhaps finally the 'approval' they seek :smile:

3 hours ago, transam said:

OP you are right...Seems you and me are happy-go-lucky folk, float along on our trying to be happy existence..But alas there are many a farang who still live in their negative world, perhaps country thoughts, who knows....

BUT, as long as you and me stay focused on who we are and how we behave, we must dismiss the chaff and stay focused, never change...:stoner:

Some of us are happy enough and dont need to nod or smile at strangers

If someone is sad and lonely with no friends and who just wants someone to talk to, fine, go and find some other sad lonely people who want to talk to a stranger

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some of us are happy enough and dont need to nod or smile at strangers

If someone is sad and lonely with no friends and who just wants someone to talk to, fine, go and find some other sad lonely people who want to talk to a stranger

Some of you disguise this happiness exceptionally well on this forum :smile:

Mum told me not to talk to strangers.

Good advice.

If TV forum represents a cross section of the kind of nutters that are out there , talking to strangers might prove a potentially unpleasant experience. Why take the risk.

7 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

The foreigner obviously heard my greeting and glared back at me with an angry look on his face and proceeded to silently walk straight on by :angry:

This time as soon as the foreigner heard my Hi he instantly dropped his head and looked at the floor as he walked straight on past me

Well on hearing my friendly Hi he frowned  , got up and shuffled away not even acknowledging me at all :angry:

You have surely experienced ignore - ignorance

So I'm now wondering if my recent experience of being ignored by other foreigners is some thing that others here have come across .

Apparently not as most here are too busy being deliriously happy and quite prepared to do the ignoring

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Some of you disguise this happiness exceptionally well on this forum :smile:

Well of course I am not happy about every single aspect , but walking around nodding at complete strangers will not solve any issues that I may have .

Its generally some younger guy who wants to know how I get an income  because he wants to do the same or some older guy who wants to tell me all his problems

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well of course I am not happy about every single aspect , but walking around nodding at complete strangers will not solve any issues that I may have .

Its generally some younger guy who wants to know how I get an income  because he wants to do the same or some older guy who wants to tell me all his problems

I think it becomes apparent that rural etiquette and urban etiquette could well be very different

No problem for TVF "old-timers". Having received a "Hi" they utter the code-word:

"The fish swims in muddy waters". If the other guy replies with "I have a lovely bunch of coconuts" it immediately confirms him as another TVF member. What follows is always a friendly, lively conversation. Yes gentlemen, the international brotherhood of TVF membes is alive and well!

All other Hi-sayers are best ignored. Some have forgotten their wallet at home, some happen to have a Condo for sale, some are recruiting new members for a Wife-Swapping-Club, some only want to tell you about their career as an ex-SAS.
Over the years, I have met them all.
To stay on the safe side: Only interact with TVF members. So, what are the code words again?
= "The fish swims in muddy waters"--/--"I have a lovely bunch of coconuts".
Cheers.
PS: When I am in Pattaya, I always wear a T-shirt with "The fish swims in muddy waters" printed on it. Feel free to approach me and say Hi. (unless you have forgotten your wallet at home, that is.) 

Mum told me not to talk to strangers.

Good advice.

If TV forum represents a cross section of the kind of nutters that are out there , talking to strangers might prove a potentially unpleasant experience. Why take the risk.
Interesting. Your post came across as a part of the cross section the rest are on.

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

When I am out cycling, I generally say hello to other cyclists, and nod and smile to anyone I make eye contact with.  I don’t do that when I’m driving.  No wonder people think motorists are <deleted>

I guess everyone who share something in common, do say hi to each other. As when we walking the mountain, go biking, walk the beach in the early morning, meet people at the gym, yes it is normal. But totaly strangers in shopping mall, offices and on the street? I guess/thought that was the factual question here :D

One thing I have noticed when browsing the shelves at Tesco on my own is that if a farang/Thai couple cross my path I always smile at them. A few times the farang just ignores me BUT their lady has clocked my friendliness and smiled back.

Perhaps it's my hansumness, he don't like it but she does...

On 3/26/2018 at 9:40 PM, transam said:

One thing I have noticed when browsing the shelves at Tesco on my own is that if a farang/Thai couple cross my path I always smile at them. A few times the farang just ignores me BUT their lady has clocked my friendliness and smiled back.

Perhaps it's my hansumness, he don't like it but she does...

Hells teeth trans, do you actually believe your last sentence?

Time for your meds i think.:cheesy::cheesy:

Archived