BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Once Bitten

Whats wrong with you foreigners

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A Russian man wears a grimace, not a silly grin

A grimace, like this?

Screenshot_2018-03-25-17-29-44-837_com.android.chrome.png

I'd say hi back unless the guy looked like trouble then I'd probably ignore him.

I ignore Indian tailors, sunglasses sellers daily, I'm very good at it

I don’t even ignore them. I treat them as if I would treat an insect buzzing around. As the foreigners who approach on the street ( in BKK every day) asking for a small amount of money for bus fare or whatever. Liars!

Every. Single. One

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

I don’t even ignore them. I treat them as if I would treat an insect buzzing around. As the foreigners who approach on the street ( in BKK every day) asking for a small amount of money for bus fare or whatever. Liars!

Every. Single. One

Sounds like an excellent way to get rid of all this Laotian Kip laying around.

OP you are right...Seems you and me are happy-go-lucky folk, float along on our trying to be happy existence..But alas there are many a farang who still live in their negative world, perhaps country thoughts, who knows....

BUT, as long as you and me stay focused on who we are and how we behave, we must dismiss the chaff and stay focused, never change...:stoner:

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Did I mistake the spelling?
A scowl, a frown.

No, you are spot on.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

OP you are right...Seems you and me are happy-go-lucky folk, float along on our trying to be happy existence..But alas there are many a farang who still live in their negative world, perhaps country thoughts, who knows....

BUT, as long as you and me stay focused on who we are and how we behave, we must dismiss the chaff and stay focused, never change...:stoner:

Screenshot_2018-03-25-17-37-58-029_com.android.chrome.png

I greet people and, respond to greetings all over the world. People who do not respond are Russian or damaged or have something to hide.. 

could be any number of reasons.

1.  he's having a really, really bad day.

2.  he's simply a total douchebag.

3.  completely lost in thought, didn't notice you.

4.  recent transplant from china, used to hearing

and ignorng a thousand "haloooo's" every day.

5. he's on the lonely planet circuit, pretending to

be the first foreigner ever seen here.

6.  afraid of strangers in general

7.  thinks anyone approaching his is a scammer.

8.  been tricked into conversations by too many

witnesses wanting to save his soul

Have you also noticed you can make eye contact by accident with a Thai and say hello you get a friendly hello back.

Being friendly is being friendly it does not hurt to be friendly.

I do reply to anyone except some one who seems deranged or I feel may be a problem. This means most people would get  a positive reply.

When I first came to Thailand  often I would meet complete strangers travelling and end up sitting around eating and drinking together. by the end of the day.

The Thai seem to love it if you say hello. In the local market when I go many merchants see me and greet me every time i go there. Even if I never buy from them. Being friendly costs nothing.

Please do not be discouraged by the anti-social responses. Keep being civilized and polite. It's called class, and it is obvious that some people do not have any. Note too that there are alot of farang losers in Thailand. They were shunned and anti social in their homelands, so  one should not expect them to be different here.

I find that some cultures are more sociable than others. Today, as I waited for my driver as I had a coffee at Starbucks ,a nice Australian lady struck up a chat with me. Lovely older woman who was just being nice and asking for suggestions of where her teenagers might have some fun on their own.  Australians like to say hello and are good that way,  Your experience with the Pinoy was typical as they are very sociable and outgoing so it is normal for them to say hello.  Americans can be very  friendly too. On the other hand it is a rare Continental European who will be outwardly friendly here. Then there are the grouchy Russians who rarely talk to non Russians. The mainland Chinese and Japanese  don't speak English so don't expect much from them. Anyway, my point is that you should keep on doing what you are doing. I always  say good morning back or have a good day. It's a positive way to be and why you will outlive so many of the  negative Neds here.

28 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Every. Single. One

How is it in all the years I have been   in and out of Bangkok, no foreigner has ever approached me with a request for money? I was just in Bangkok  for a few days. Perhaps  it was because I was in Siam and not at Nana Plaza/Soi Cowboy. :sleepy:

Saying hello to complete strangers and marrying prostitutes seems to be unique to Thailand.

No normal person would do that in the West. The few times some weirdo looked me in the eyes and said hello there was a request for money. Last one said he just got out of jail and was starving. I told to him go rob a 7/11