Whats wrong with you foreigners

On 3/26/2018 at 9:40 PM, transam said:

One thing I have noticed when browsing the shelves at Tesco on my own is that if a farang/Thai couple cross my path I always smile at them. A few times the farang just ignores me BUT their lady has clocked my friendliness and smiled back.Perhaps it's my hansumness, he don't like it but she does...

You must realise that this will cause an awkward situation for the couple , which will lead to suspicion and distrust between them : "Who was that felang you were smiling at in Tescos" "Never seen him before " "I dont believe you" .

You must know that this may cause some issues , awkwardness or make others feel uncomfortable , its quite possible that you do this on purpose , take enjoyment about making others feel uncomfortable

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2018 at 9:40 PM, transam said:

One thing I have noticed when browsing the shelves at Tesco on my own is that if a farang/Thai couple cross my path I always smile at them. A few times the farang just ignores me BUT their lady has clocked my friendliness and smiled back.Perhaps it's my hansumness, he don't like it but she does...

You must realise that this will cause an awkward situation for the couple , which will lead to suspicion and distrust between them : "Who was that felang you were smiling at in Tescos" "Never seen him before " "I dont believe you" .

You must know that this may cause some issues , awkwardness or make others feel uncomfortable , its quite possible that you do this on purpose , take enjoyment about making others feel uncomfortable

On 3/26/2018 at 11:03 PM, sanemax said:

Eeeeeeeer, I was smiling at the farang, so it could be the other way round...

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Eeeeeeeer, I was smiling at the farang, so it could be the other way round..

You did state that you smile at "them" : Both of them .

The felang would think *I dont know this guy, why is he smiling at my GF*

22 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

So I'm now wondering if my recent experience of being ignored by other foreigners is some thing that others here have come across . When your out and about do you try and say some thing even its just a quick simple Hi to other foreigners you come across or do you tend to try and pass any approaching foreigners and you stay silent .

Why would I want to speak to a racist who only says 'hello' to other white folk.

On 3/26/2018 at 11:56 PM, sanemax said:

Do you walk around Tescos smiling at couples , when you are on your own, or, are you usually with someone else ?

I think you do not have your head in gear, in fact I think you are posting from an East London pub frightened to take your nose out your beer...

17 hours ago, rott said:

Are you describing sanemax.?

That is a bit unfair .

If I see someone who is lost or looks like they need a assistance , more often than not , I will ask them whether they need any help , and even go out my way to walk them to where they want to go .

I am quite happy to help people who need any assistance , and dont offer assistance based on their skin colour 

On 3/26/2018 at 12:14 AM, sanemax said:

That is a bit unfair .

If I see someone who is lost or looks like they need a assistance , more often than not , I will ask them whether they need any help , and even go out my way to walk them to where they want to go .

I am quite happy to help people who need any assistance , and dont offer assistance based on their skin colour 

So now you are scanning farangs, just in case.........

On 3/26/2018 at 12:14 AM, transam said:

I think you do not have your head in gear, in fact I think you are posting from an East London pub frightened to take your nose out your beer...

And if I were in an East London pub drinking a beer, you wouldnt smile at me, as I walked past , so, no need to smile at me in Tescos in Thailand either

On 3/26/2018 at 12:19 AM, sanemax said:

And if I were in an East London pub drinking a beer, you wouldnt smile at me, as I walked past , so, no need to smile at me in Tescos in Thailand either

But it's OK for you to be nosy in a LOS Tesco to see if a farang and his bird can't find something, but you make sure you're not smiling....

On 3/26/2018 at 12:27 AM, starky said:

Didn't your mum tell you not to talk to strangers? 

Sure, but when adults we can do what we please...Well I did from the age of 15, I really liked strange girls from that age..

On 3/26/2018 at 12:17 AM, transam said:

So now you are scanning farangs, just in case.........

That doesnt follow .

I quite clearly stated that I will offer assistance to people of any skin colour , not just white people .

More often than not, its young Chinese back-packers asking Thais for directions in broken English with a map in their hand . And I would either point them in the right direction or walk with them to where they want to go

18 hours ago, 473geo said:

Poor lost souls most of you are :smile:

Did you not read the poem recently posted on Thai visa penned by the late Spike Milligan

Cheer up fellas

Me? smile, nod, wave, at everyone I know in the village, and many I am not sure I know, those I know and meet in the local town, guess what? almost all smiles returned. I smile and say hello on the local baht bus, I guess I like people to see I am comfortable and happy in Thailand.

I think if I stopped smiling and nodding at people my wife would take me to the doctor!!

Farangs are hard work though :smile:

What is this crap about would you do it in your own country, I cycle to work I smile and wave at other cyclists, at pedestrians I meet regularly who move aside to let me pass, say good morning to the school crossing ladies on my way. On arrival at my office say good morning to every one I pass on the way to my desk!!

No way I expect everyone to be the same, after all, I learnt to cope with possible rejection a loooong time ago :smile:

Have you ever considered you may be insane. Who in there right mind walks round with a big grin on their face saying hello to everyone they see. That seems way stranger than not saying hello. How do you get anything done?

6 minutes ago, transam said:

But it's OK for you to be nosy in a LOS Tesco to see if a farang and his bird can't find something, but you make sure you're not smiling....

Ha-ha , I do not ask people in Tescos what they are looking for 

On 3/26/2018 at 12:30 AM, transam said:

Sure, but when adults we can do what we please...Well I did from the age of 15, I really liked strange girls from that age..

Mate you wanna walk round with a big grin on your mug saying hello to every person walking past have it. Sounds mental to me. I've got my friends here and abroad why would I talk to some random in Tesco just because he wasn't Thai. 

6 minutes ago, starky said:

Mate you wanna walk round with a big grin on your mug saying hello to every person walking past have it. Sounds mental to me. I've got my friends here and abroad why would I talk to some random in Tesco just because he wasn't Thai. 

I do walk around with a smile on my face, that is true, but I rarely talk unless I am asked something..

You see, I have left farangland negativity behind...Have you...?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I do walk around with a smile on my face, that is true, but I rarely talk unless I am asked something..

You see, I have left farangland negativity behind...Have you...?

Mate not sure what you are trying to allude to there. Not only are you judging me b3cause I don't walk around grinning like an idiot. It seems you are also saying what? All people who live in "farangland" are negative. I'll leave at that and let you get your last word in. Absurdly judgemental much?

On 3/26/2018 at 12:50 AM, starky said:

Mate not sure what you are trying to allude to there. Not only are you judging me b3cause I don't walk around grinning like an idiot. It seems you are also saying what? All people who live in "farangland" are negative. I'll leave at that and let you get your last word in. Absurdly judgemental much?

So folk like me in your opinion, who like to smile are idiots...Well, I reckon that really shows you are stuck in your "growl" world. You should try and be more of a happy soul...Makes life more...Smiley....

I think this is more  an "American thing" .  Saying Hi to strangers is very common in the US: I was very surprised when I visited the US for the first time and everyone was so friendly to a lone stranger like me. 

I've got "Hi how are you" from total strangers on the streets of New York, L.A  and in Las Vegas. 

I am Norwegian and we are not like that , we don't like to talk or greet people we don't know,  But personally I don't mind talking to strangers, as long as they behave . 

So I guess all countries are different . What is natural for an American living in Thailand is not a natural thing to do for a Norwegian etc. 

Well, the other thing about greet each other, is how girlfriends measure each other and wait for the other to say hi, smile or nod. 

However, thai traditions have som rigid rules, and the person with lower status wai first to show their respect. So think about it when you walk around, wich position you have where you go.  

To the Op- I take it by your writing style that you are American. It seems to be a character trait (this is an observation , NOT a criticism) ) that Americans have it in their nature to a- engage perfect strangers in a conversation, and b- then proceed to tell people their entire life history.  It then baffles them that people from other nations are not always as garrulous and actually don't care. 

'I'm from California, that's in the US you know'- of course I know, I'm not mentally deficient.

Canadians are easy- just get that glazed 'gee, life is wunnerful' look in our eyes and all is fine.

"If a stranger says "Hi" to me...how should I react"?

Now!...that's a real brain teaser, could you not come up with an easier one than that.....will need time to give it a lot of thought.

What is the world coming to....I ask myself.....how dare they?

6 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

40 odd years ago most foreigners were happy to talk to others, where have you been, what's it like, where are you going next, etc. Now most people ignore a casual hello. It can be hard to make friends living here.

That was probably in your back-packing days , when it was quite interesting to meet people from other Countries , these days, with social media , you can talk to people from other Countries anytime , its nothing special these days .

Archived