Whats wrong with you foreigners

8 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I'm from California, that's in the US you know'- of course I know, I'm not mentally deficient.

Then it would be : *I first came to Thailand in 1967 , it was different back then , met my Wife and took her back to the USA , we had two kids, who went to college and Univercity and one now works for Reuters , the other didnt do too well , she met a lowlife and they now got three kids..................* Just shut up, will ya, Im not interested 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2018 at 1:15 AM, sanemax said:

That was probably in your back-packing days , when it was quite interesting to meet people from other Countries , these days, with social media , you can talk to people from other Countries anytime , its nothing special these days .

"Nothing special these days"..............You obviously have the latest iPhone that you smile at.......

In the time I've been here I've noticed people that talk to strangers fall into one of 4 categories:

1 - People who want to say hi but are too socially awkward to have a conversation.  They'll timidly utter "hello" as they're shuffling past.

2 - Drunk Thais who want to practice the english they learned 10 years ago.  Not as annoying as the first group as they'll actually engage in a conversation.

3 - People who are 20-50 meters away who think shouting "hello" in your vague direction will get your attention - it doesn't.

4 - People who have gotten themselves into some kind of trouble and the only way out is for you to help them financially.  They're usually so good at talking they don't leave you time to utter the phrase 'sod off'.

On top of this, I'm usually deep in thought (generally about work) so I don't immediately snap to attention when someone utters "hello", unless they walk up and talk to me directly.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:19 AM, transam said:

"Nothing special these days"..............You obviously have the latest iPhone that you smile at.......

I can see from your over usage of emojis , that you do like to pull facial expressions .

Do you do the same, when you are walking around supermarkets ?

As you said , you dont talk much , do you just walk around pulling facial expressions for any given occasion ?

On 3/26/2018 at 1:33 AM, sanemax said:

I can see from your over usage of emojis , that you do like to pull facial expressions .

Do you do the same, when you are walking around supermarkets ?

As you said , you dont talk much , do you just walk around pulling facial expressions for any given occasion ?

If I am singing then yes....With a smile of course...

When I see a white boy in the Makro, I stop, stare, point and yell, "Farang!  Farang!" :laugh:

But right, the supermarket Crocodile Dundee types, I always figured were mostly giddy newbies, enamored with being a minority in their strange, exotic place of residence.

Eventually, they stop being "amazed" by temples and monks, and stop wai'ing soi dogs and small children on push bikes.   The first time they are able to walk past a Caucasian farang in the Tesco without saying a word, is a significant milestone on the path to becoming a hardened veteran of Thailand.

On 3/26/2018 at 12:30 AM, transam said:

Sure, but when adults we can do what we please...Well I did from the age of 15, I really liked strange girls from that age..

As a Brit, you need to be properly introduced by a third party that knows both your names before you may talk.

Have you never read 'Sense and sensibility'?

7 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

As a Brit, you need to be properly introduced by a third party that knows both your names before you may talk.

Have you never read 'Sense and sensibility'?

No...But I sing this song.....

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

I put my head down, pretend to have not heard him and walk in the other direction . I have no desire to talk to strangers , 90% of the time, they want something 

I empty my AR15 into them, but then I am an American.

I haven't read all the posts, maeJOmtb's comment is pure tongue in cheek but we love taking the pizz out of ourselves.

The OP must have horns growing from his head to be so avoided. The only place you never make eye contact is the London Underground.    North of Watford it's another world.

Sometimes people forget we are in the land of smiles.

No worries at all if strangers pass and one wants to be polite, smile, nod of the head or even a big friendly hello, I generally will not stop for conversation unless already parked somewhere, all fairly normal in my view.

I do it more if out with my son and he does not get it either when the response is a dour faced panicked reach for the zanex.

I might add, its even more common with mutual bearded folk, some people even go beyond the hello and pass on a fellow beard respect compliment.

I came back to this thread and reread many of the posts then it dawned on me. To ask a question of those here about their soacial habits in Thailand

In your village or town where you live,how often in a day do you nod your head or give a smile to a Thai that pass's you in the market  on the street or meeting on motorcycle's?  I do every time I leave the house

So why not nod smile say hello to foreigners also?

12 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I came back to this thread and reread many of the posts then it dawned on me. To ask a question of those here about their soacial habits in Thailand

In your village or town where you live,how often in a day do you nod your head or give a smile to a Thai that pass's you in the market  on the street or meeting on motorcycle's?  I do every time I leave the house

So why not nod smile say hello to foreigners also?

Perhaps they're afraid of each other? I only greet friendly people like Trans. Those who are coming from Pattaya as an example, and have a tattooed bargirl in, or on their arm, and on their way to get introduced to the "family", are usually not much fun to talk to. 

We talking serious world problem her, because it is to many lunatics and wannabees, who think the world changes because thei suddenly think they have class, and are some kind of important, since they have money to flash, and also think they are in the land of genuin smiles. So easy and so true. 

Since we do not smile to everybody, we do smile genuin and true to the people who need, are nice, and know their timing. How hard can it be to understand that? 

last time another westerner said "hi" to me, I was friendly and said "hi" back.

It turned ouyt he was drunk and just a little over zealous with his friendliness. I couldnt get rid of him and he was one of the most annoying b..tards Ive ever met. That is no exaggeration. It ended with him trying to show me the rules of Aussie Football, including trying to manhandle me.

The conversation ended there and I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who meets him and gets stuck with him.

Im friendly by nature but some people you meet in Bangkok are just not people I want to be friends with. Now I tend to nod, smile and move quickly away from strangers who let on to me. Wish it wasnt like that though.

555, nice post. Exactly the same thing has happened to me. I was surprised at the miserable tw*** in Korat as its out in the sticks so to speak. I would certainly say hello to anyone who said hello to me. I usually just give a smile or nod....but sometimes just to mix it up, i go into the religious rant famous from the Pulp Fiction movie....

Archived