BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Once Bitten

Whats wrong with you foreigners

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

@473geo

As I said, Time and place works for most, if they continius looking for approval of beeing seen or heard ;-)

I think most Thai people are attracted, pleased, and relaxed by a genuine smile,  they are in general quite shy. I would never wish to give the impression to Thai people especially children I am some sort of miserable glowering Farang monster. 

You are of course welcome to your assumption that somebody who is ultra confident and personable is somehow seeking approval :smile: I can assure you, it is easier to not worry what people really think, if, at least, on the face of it you treat them with a modicum of decorum and respect.

Ignorance - doesn't quite cut it in my opinion - however classy it may make one feel

However I can accept that people have the right to choose their own contacts, and their follow their own path.... does not surprise me when they drop off the cliff into the valley of misery and despair is all :smile: at least there they appear to find similar company, and who knows perhaps finally the 'approval' they seek :smile:

3 hours ago, transam said:

OP you are right...Seems you and me are happy-go-lucky folk, float along on our trying to be happy existence..But alas there are many a farang who still live in their negative world, perhaps country thoughts, who knows....

BUT, as long as you and me stay focused on who we are and how we behave, we must dismiss the chaff and stay focused, never change...:stoner:

Some of us are happy enough and dont need to nod or smile at strangers

If someone is sad and lonely with no friends and who just wants someone to talk to, fine, go and find some other sad lonely people who want to talk to a stranger

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Some of us are happy enough and dont need to nod or smile at strangers

If someone is sad and lonely with no friends and who just wants someone to talk to, fine, go and find some other sad lonely people who want to talk to a stranger

Some of you disguise this happiness exceptionally well on this forum :smile:

Mum told me not to talk to strangers.

Good advice.

If TV forum represents a cross section of the kind of nutters that are out there , talking to strangers might prove a potentially unpleasant experience. Why take the risk.

7 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

The foreigner obviously heard my greeting and glared back at me with an angry look on his face and proceeded to silently walk straight on by :angry:

This time as soon as the foreigner heard my Hi he instantly dropped his head and looked at the floor as he walked straight on past me

Well on hearing my friendly Hi he frowned  , got up and shuffled away not even acknowledging me at all :angry:

You have surely experienced ignore - ignorance

So I'm now wondering if my recent experience of being ignored by other foreigners is some thing that others here have come across .

Apparently not as most here are too busy being deliriously happy and quite prepared to do the ignoring

5 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Some of you disguise this happiness exceptionally well on this forum :smile:

Well of course I am not happy about every single aspect , but walking around nodding at complete strangers will not solve any issues that I may have .

Its generally some younger guy who wants to know how I get an income  because he wants to do the same or some older guy who wants to tell me all his problems

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well of course I am not happy about every single aspect , but walking around nodding at complete strangers will not solve any issues that I may have .

Its generally some younger guy who wants to know how I get an income  because he wants to do the same or some older guy who wants to tell me all his problems

I think it becomes apparent that rural etiquette and urban etiquette could well be very different

Well just do what you want, no need to argue anymore and call names about who do what and do not do. It is a free world. Still I hope

When I am out cycling, I generally say hello to other cyclists, and nod and smile to anyone I make eye contact with.  I don’t do that when I’m driving.  No wonder people think motorists are <deleted>

No problem for TVF "old-timers". Having received a "Hi" they utter the code-word:

"The fish swims in muddy waters". If the other guy replies with "I have a lovely bunch of coconuts" it immediately confirms him as another TVF member. What follows is always a friendly, lively conversation. Yes gentlemen, the international brotherhood of TVF membes is alive and well!

All other Hi-sayers are best ignored. Some have forgotten their wallet at home, some happen to have a Condo for sale, some are recruiting new members for a Wife-Swapping-Club, some only want to tell you about their career as an ex-SAS.
Over the years, I have met them all.
To stay on the safe side: Only interact with TVF members. So, what are the code words again?
= "The fish swims in muddy waters"--/--"I have a lovely bunch of coconuts".
Cheers.
PS: When I am in Pattaya, I always wear a T-shirt with "The fish swims in muddy waters" printed on it. Feel free to approach me and say Hi. (unless you have forgotten your wallet at home, that is.) 

Mum told me not to talk to strangers.

Good advice.

If TV forum represents a cross section of the kind of nutters that are out there , talking to strangers might prove a potentially unpleasant experience. Why take the risk.
Interesting. Your post came across as a part of the cross section the rest are on.

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

When I am out cycling, I generally say hello to other cyclists, and nod and smile to anyone I make eye contact with.  I don’t do that when I’m driving.  No wonder people think motorists are <deleted>

I guess everyone who share something in common, do say hi to each other. As when we walking the mountain, go biking, walk the beach in the early morning, meet people at the gym, yes it is normal. But totaly strangers in shopping mall, offices and on the street? I guess/thought that was the factual question here :D

One thing I have noticed when browsing the shelves at Tesco on my own is that if a farang/Thai couple cross my path I always smile at them. A few times the farang just ignores me BUT their lady has clocked my friendliness and smiled back.

Perhaps it's my hansumness, he don't like it but she does...

On 3/26/2018 at 9:40 PM, transam said:

One thing I have noticed when browsing the shelves at Tesco on my own is that if a farang/Thai couple cross my path I always smile at them. A few times the farang just ignores me BUT their lady has clocked my friendliness and smiled back.

Perhaps it's my hansumness, he don't like it but she does...

Hells teeth trans, do you actually believe your last sentence?

Time for your meds i think.:cheesy::cheesy: