Whats wrong with you foreigners

1 minute ago, Nicebus said:

People shy away from saying hello to a fellow human being in the street , but will spend hours and share their most intimate secrets with virtual strangers on facebook and the like.

Sad sad sad 

Most people on facebook share what they are going to eat for dinner , you can see what people in supermarkets are going to have for dinner, by looking into their shopping trolley .

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Im just out doing my weekly shopping , what brand of baked beans would you recommend , its a bit hot today, innit, what you doing ? 

Today was a busy as hell day. I was out trimming 4 meter tall hedges which had me going up and down a ladder while I could stand the heat.  Have likely 200 meters around the walls. Have to do this once every 6 months. Next up are the Lumyai trees.

I couldn't fairly offer a suggestion on baked beans, I do not eat them. Chili Beans OK....

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

snip>First it is racist and stupid to assume people speak English because they appear to have a white face. This isn’t America. What is “Hi!”?<snip

HOWDY

See the source image

Just a question to you greeting warm lovely wonderful happy smiling people. Do you go around and greet pure falang families and falang with falang lady? And do you greet falangs walking alone? Or just when they have gf on their side? Is there any rules you have for greeting everyone everyewhere? 

Im curious, and where is the borderline for not saying hello? 

37 minutes ago, Dap said:

I say "hi" back.

And why not?

But!

It is easy to forget the stress farang are under here in LOS.

Never know when they are about to be set upon and beaten to a pulp.

Never know when the lads in uniform will pounce and extract 5k for some imaginary misdemeanour.

Never know if a decent bit of fluff says 'hi' back causing the wife to throw a big strop.

Never know if the farang who smiles back needs a loan.

Never know if the farang is your home country's secret police and as soon as you engage in verbal intercourse; hand-cuffs!! Or perhaps thinking you are the secret police! Bit of a long shot that one; but possible.

Can't be too careful out there.

Don't even go out; sit and watch Thai TV with wife or g/f; safest!

After you've been here for about 10 years you'll get over it.  I try to be courteous when I'm out and about, but I don't go out of my way to be chummy because someone shares my ancestral heritage.  Think about it.

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Never know if the farang is your home country's secret police and as soon as you engage in verbal intercourse; hand-cuffs!! Or perhaps thinking you are the secret police! Bit of a long shot that one; but possible.

I do realise that you are jesting, suggesting that some of us are paranoid , but the fact is that there some ex UK Police in Thailand, who would happily make a few phone calls to head office back ho, if they got wind of you doing something wrong

I was sitting in a bar , just having a chat with a felang and he inquired about my home income and whether tax is payable on it .

I later found out that he was an ex-policeman and now an investigator , although I am quite certain that his job had nothing to do with me meeting him, and I am quite certain that he would have reported me back home, had he found out that I was doing something illegal

29 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

And why not?

But!

It is easy to forget the stress farang are under here in LOS.

Never know when they are about to be set upon and beaten to a pulp.

Never know when the lads in uniform will pounce and extract 5k for some imaginary misdemeanour.

Never know if a decent bit of fluff says 'hi' back causing the wife to throw a big strop.

Never know if the farang who smiles back needs a loan.

Don't even go out; sit and watch Thai TV with wife or g/f; safest!

Are you being ironic, tongue-in cheek, sarcastic, or serious (or a mixture of all four )?

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Would you go that far ?

If you said "hello" to a felang and he didnt say hello back , would you give him a "smack in the chops" ?

Could you state the general area where you live , then I will be sure to nod and smile at every passing felang, as I would prefer not to get a smack in the chops

555 maybe did word that a bit strong

i was more thinking to myself..

these guys are so arrogant and thinking they better than everyone else, this attitude i hope to see him mouthing off at some pub and gets a smacking at the hand of the Thais..and then i casually will walk past like i didnt see it lol

but no sir, would not let these guys bother me.. and definately not the one to go around smacking people in the chops!

2 hours ago, starky said:

Yeah your right there next time you see a white fella getting in trouble with a Thai I reckon it's the responsibility, nay, duty of every white person in the vicinity to pile on and bash seven shades of shit out of every Thai involved. Good call. Oh the irony hahaha 

lol no Sir, i will look at the floor as i pass, not up to me to make conversation.errr i mean confrontation.

A sad reality of the modern  world. Is  there  anywhere  that  to  look at a person  and  acknowlege them or a polite reciprocation even without  words  that  does  not result  in the  drop of  the eyes  ?Gone are  the days  of  even  recognition  of  the other  without  some suspicion. Why? <deleted>  knows  but  it  is  sad.

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

A sad reality of the modern  world. Is  there  anywhere  that  to  look at a person  and  acknowlege them or a polite reciprocation even without  words  that  does  not result  in the  drop of  the eyes  ?Gone are  the days  of  even  recognition  of  the other  without  some suspicion. Why? <deleted>  knows  but  it  is  sad.

Was it ever acceptable to go around smiling and nodding at strangers ?

If you were in a place like the Gobi desert and you saw your first felang for a few months sure, go and say hello, but not a Tesco in Thailand, where there are probably more felangs than Thais

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Was it ever acceptable to go around smiling and nodding at strangers ?

If you were in a place like the Gobi desert and you saw your first felang for a few months sure, go and say hello, but not a Tesco in Thailand, where there are probably more felangs than Thais

Really? Ah well. i did  not  suggest  nods  an smiles   but  the  mere  suggestion  of  eye  contact with  anyone  now   has the same outcome. So  now  it  is  down  to  surreptitious   observation  or   in  other  circumstance   just  oggling ?

Personally  i   still like  to  look  directly at  people that pass  me  by. Why  not?  I offer  no  threat, only  that I see  them. And  I never  look  down.

1 hour ago, Spaniel said:

If another farang initiates  a "Hello" then I will always give a hello in return.     I think it would be pretty rude not to return another's greeting. 

And please don't forget to greet her. 

Muay Thai Prayuth.jpg

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

suggestion  of  eye  contact with  anyone  now   has the same outcome. 

We all have something in common, we all have to die, sooner, or later.

Maybe  that  is  the  common denominater?  I  am here. i will  not  be later. But i saw  you and  you  pretended I  was  not? Yoy  think  you  will  stay   forever? lmao !

12 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Why would I want to speak to a racist who only says 'hello' to other white folk.

Don`t think it`s quite like that considering we are foreigners living in a foreign land and at times it is nice to converse with people who share our language, that I don`t regard as being racist. Going back 30 odd years to the early 1980s I stayed in Spain for a while. If I did happen to cross paths with a fellow Englishman or they crossed paths with me, not only did we say hello but on many occasions would end up having a drink together later on. But times have changed and attitudes have changed. If people start a conversation with me in a language I can understand than I`ll reciprocate and converse with them. There have been times when I`ve been at immigration and someone has initiated a conversation and I have been glad of the company that helps pass the time. But that`s me one of the old school who seems to be a dying breed.

I've been here many years and often say 'Hi' to other westerners.  Returned with the same greeting pretty much 100 percent of the time.  In reverse also.  I often get greeted with 'Hi' from other westerners and I respond with 'Hi'.

Not sure where the OP lives but certainly not in my area.  Maybe he has an unwelcome face....... just joking.

Over the years I have had a few very pleasant conversations with other Westerners whilst waiting at Immigration or in the queue at Tesco but, unfortunately, most conversations with other white people soon turned to bitter and scathing criticism of Thai people. 

Maybe I have the appearance of someone who might share their obnoxious views (well, I have a beer belly, I keep my hair short, and I have a couple of tattoos - no swastikas though).

Once you get into conversation with these people it's hard to shake them off. I used to try to change their point of view, but now I don't have the energy for that.

So I am now very circumspect about who I allow into my personal space. Mostly it's people I have known for years or friends of friends.

I suppose I am one of those people whom the OP describes.

33 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Over the years I have had a few very pleasant conversations with other Westerners whilst waiting at Immigration or in the queue at Tesco but, unfortunately, most conversations with other white people soon turned to bitter and scathing criticism of Thai people. 

Maybe I have the appearance of someone who might share their obnoxious views (well, I have a beer belly, I keep my hair short, and I have a couple of tattoos - no swastikas though).

Once you get into conversation with these people it's hard to shake them off. I used to try to change their point of view, but now I don't have the energy for that.

So I am now very circumspect about who I allow into my personal space. Mostly it's people I have known for years or friends of friends.

I suppose I am one of those people whom the OP describes.

I usually have positive conversations with foreigners and it's our own countries we slagg off. I rarely come across Thai haters but when I do I just fade them out and avoid them in the future. You have a, sub-group who like Thailand but don't like Thais or their habits and customs.  I disengage from such people also. Most of my conversationscate about fun, girls ,music,  food and places of interest from go go bars to buddist temples etc. Its true there is a dirth of real travellers in Pattaya people who play golf and watch footie... They have, little to say of interest and, are distant from Thai culture. 

13 hours ago, starky said:

Have you ever considered you may be insane. Who in there right mind walks round with a big grin on their face saying hello to everyone they see. That seems way stranger than not saying hello. How do you get anything done?

I smile nicely and get it done for me :smile: probably throw in a couple of beers too

Archived