back to training - loaded carries

robblok

Been off this forum for a while reason was sickness and sleep problems. They really affected my diet and training now that I (hopefully) have the sleeping problems under control I am back to my normal workouts. Also my diet is good again, i need to lose a few kg so that will take a bit of time. It was real horrible to wake up a couple times a night (bladder related) it really sapped my energy my work suffered and my training and then motivation for diet even more. After a period of fever and sickness i found by accident that if i took a paracetamol or Ibuprofen that I could sleep. Now this is not good for the body but i could at least do it a few times a week. I am now experimenting to see if aspirine does the trick too. I have seen an urologist but he could not find anything and the medicine he gave did not help (much). Was with him for a few months but just did not improve.

Now I will just take whatever needed a few days a week to get enough uninterrupted sleep. Anyway I now feel a lot better already and training is getting back to normal (slowly) and with it my diet changes (i get motivated when i can train). Recently I also started doing loaded carries or farmerswalk in the park in front of my home. I read a lot about it and it is done for overall apply-able strength and fat burning. (depending on distance). So far i just walk with a heavy kettlebell in each hand. and do a (about 400) meter round. The first round I can do but after that I need to put the weights down each 100 meters. So now I do 2 rounds, going to build it up to about 3 or 4 rounds and then add weights to the kettlebells. 

People who know me know why i do that because i really dislike normal cardio. When doing this i feel like doing HIIT, real tiresome after the first round. I will see what results this gives. I will of course keep doing my normal workouts too. 

I am lucky to have a park so close by otherwise I would not have done it. I was contemplating walking up the steps with the weights but decided against it as i worried i might slip if tired myself (and i do like to get a bit tired)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found out that they are quite a lot harder to do after a workout session, but now trying to do them regularly and they are heavy. I think they can be quite useful for lazy people like me (or maybe people bored with cardio). I would love to be able do some sled pulls (do think that that would make people look real funny at me). I really like the stuff like loaded carried and other stuff opposed to cardio.

I know cardio is good, but I also know that its real hard for me to maintain. I rather do something that is half as good but i can keep doing then something that is better that i stop. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know it wont interest most but ill use it as a kind of a diary / reminder of the past.

I always disliked cardio and having read multiple reports on farmers walks i decided to use them. I must say they seem effective and leave me breathless after doing them. The first round through the park is not super hard still towards half the round i feel it and in the end it starts burning. The second round is has 3 stops and at each stop i need to catch my breath and feel my heart pounding and my forearms in need of relief and my grip failing. I take a small break no more then 10-20 seconds more often closer to 10 and go on. The 3 rd round has 4 stops and takes even more mental toughness. 

As i said before i want to do it 4 rounds and then start adding additional weight.

I have found out that this is something I could do for a long time without getting bored. You don't have time to get bored as you constantly need to combat the pain / pump in your arms and rest of body. 

I havent missed a day, today a bit later because of rain, i try to do them as soon as i wake up. When this month is done ill assess progress. It is said that it helps a lot with grip strength and fat burning. (though dieet is more important) I think this can be compared to HIIT 

In my opinion people should find something they can do, and wont stop easy. I certainly could do cardio but its so easy for me to get bored with it and stop it that this even if it is less effective (im not sure it is but depends on duration) its better then doing cardio and stopping it. That is why i never comment on others exercise as something is always better as nothing and the most effective / best exercises might not be sustainable.

Its all about sustainability and going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Fist of a bomb could explode in the body and fitness part of the forum and nobody would get killed. Its dead here. I will just continue my boring monologue, if only to serve as a reminder later on when i read back. Maybe someone will get inspired to exercise. 

A week has passed, and I added half a round and probably will ad an other half round in the next week. I think its not so much that the body can't do it but a mental block. You can always finish.. it just takes longer if you add more distance. The first round is getting easier I now do 1 1/3 round as a first round, second and third round improve too and so did the last half round. 

Last week i got a bit carried away and did the exercise twice on a non training day. Needless to say that the next day my performance was less than before. I also notice (im on a diet) that on days that i eat more i preform a lot better. I am curious if all this exercising will bring some improvement after a month. Who knows, I am not intending to quit as I said this is an exercise I can do without feeling the need to stop early or to find excuses why to abort part of a steady state cardio exercise. 

So its quite likely I will keep doing this year round. I read everywhere its a great exercise now just wait and see. 

Its songkran here but nobody here to throw water at me during my rounds. 

Not much new, got the rounds up to 4 took a timer and it takes me around 15 minutes. I want to add an other round so I exercise around 20 minutes in the morning. It would also burn an extra 25% calories and that is useful as I still am far from where I want to be fat % wise. 

I ordered some liquid chalk as my hands are dripping wet and its the grip that gives out every time. The funny thing is that its my dominant hand that gives out first. 

I noticed that I am not getting much stronger now it goes slower. I also noticed that this does help me with wide grip pull ups before my grip would give out faster now it does not and I can do more pull ups. (its not lost weight i wish it was)

I am a bit worried about over-training as I do this every day and the last few days i saw a small decline in strength. I might have to take a break at times. Will have to monitor this. 

as you correctly stated: nothing is more dull than cardio.

here's my idea how to spice it up:

find an additional girl, and then do oil wrestling vs your gf and the extra girl,

winner gets to decide what to do next.

to challenge yourself, you can also bench the girls until you are

really tired before wrestling

i once saw a russian get up on a go go stage to make a fool out of himself,

the girls quickly caught on and overwhelmed him in wrestling

all the while the girls was busy taking his pants off.

i could see pure panic in his eyes as he realized just how humiliated he was going to get

3 hours ago, poanoi said:

as you correctly stated: nothing is more dull than cardio.

here's my idea how to spice it up:

find an additional girl, and then do oil wrestling vs your gf and the extra girl,

winner gets to decide what to do next.

to challenge yourself, you can also bench the girls until you are

really tired before wrestling

i once saw a russian get up on a go go stage to make a fool out of himself,

the girls quickly caught on and overwhelmed him in wrestling

all the while the girls was busy taking his pants off.

i could see pure panic in his eyes as he realized just how humiliated he was going to get

Fun idea of cardio..

To be honest these loaded caries are not dull, they are heavy and I like heavy. It hurts it burns but it does not last as long as steady state cardio plus im outside in the open air.

An other week passed.

Got some liquid chalk (same as normal chalk but it is liquid and dries out on the hands giving less of a mess). It has improved my farmers walk a lot. Before my hands gave out quite fast as they were slippery with sweat. Now i can do more and the exercise is now more for my arms and shoulders as hands. I feel my traps more and my arms and shoulders. My hands are still the limiting factor but less so. 

Got it up to 5 1/2 round and I am sweating like a pig, breathing heavy. I have to apply the chalk 2 or 3 times as i still get wet hands. I might get some wrist sweat bands to stop the sweat going to my hands. I feel really good doing the exercise and havent missed a morning yet. Today it lightly rained but not too much so i just went on. 

Fat loss seems to go well, getting back to my old self faster as expected, but there is still some time to go never know when progress might stall. I might bring it up to 6 rounds and then start adding extra weight.

I think its a great exercise for everyone who hates cardio and has access to a place where you can walk and some weights of course.

Time is flying when your having fun.

An other week gone.

I tried doing the farmers walk with gloves but because the handles are thick already the extra width the groves provided made it even harder. So after one day with gloves (was heavier) I am back to liquid chalk.

Still doing 5 1/2 round, will bring it up when the weight loss is slowing down. Right now its going fast enough better to leave some room for extra exercise when I need it. Not much else to report. 

Ok found your topic. Ive seen people on youtube use homemade bars with handles to go real heavy.

Some monsters doing big weights.

My last session was affected by doing arm curls first which burns the forearms a lot.

My next session is due to be rowing but looking at the following day.

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

Ok found your topic. Ive seen people on youtube use homemade bars with handles to go real heavy.

Some monsters doing big weights.

My last session was affected by doing arm curls first which burns the forearms a lot.

My next session is due to be rowing but looking at the following day.

Yes I seen people with home made bars, but I got kettebells that I can add weight too. I think I can let them weigh up to 40 kg. That would be double of what I am doing now.  

I am also going for distance, 20 minutes so I don't see myself going over 40 kg anytime soon (now doing 20 kg). If I wanted to go heavy i would let them make some bars for me I got plenty of 50 mm weights but that is not the plan. I just see this as a way to add some kind of cardio / HITT to my program. I do this separate from my weight lifting sessions.  

I just think i found something I can do indefinitely (or at least for a real long time without getting bored). I am not saying this is the best way to lose fat or whatever.. just saying its something that works for me. For me its important to find something I won't dislike or start to hate. This is a good start of the day. I think rowing would probably burn more calories but I did that before in the morning i got bored in the end.

22 hours ago, Justfine said:

I listen to a cd whilst rowing. Staring at a wall otherwise would be boring.

I had a computer setup with row pro and connected that to a computer so I would see myself row. I could even put in opponents like in a video game. I usually put in myself from previous recorded rows so I would be rowing against myself. 

One other reason I stopped was because it conflicted with my other training it just overloaded my lower back and back too much. I still got the rower, computer and program so its not as if i cant start it again. 

I had of course a pair of headphones on with good music. I have quite a nice home gym. Got an elliptical too (less effective as the rower)

16 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Yea I know about the elliptical but you can make it challenging. I just needed something that would not target the same muscles that i used during lifting. I lift real heavy and there were times I was worried about over training. Then an elliptical works. Funny that you read T nation too. I had read this one before, but I have worked out on elliptical machines and gotten good results. 

I still believe that consistency trumps all... if someone can row but gives up after a month but can go on an elliptical for months at end what do you think is the better machine then. Technically the rower of course but for the person  who gets bored with the rower and stops the elliptical is better because he keeps doing it. 

Why do you think i started doing the farmers walks while i got a rower ? it just did not fit into my program well enough and I got bored with it. 

23 hours ago, Justfine said:

I listen to a cd whilst rowing. Staring at a wall otherwise would be boring.

I stare at the PM5 monitor of the Concept2 rowing machine... and constantly monitor my performance. I'm usually working too hard to get bored. It's tiring - would be a better description of what I'm feeling. I don't usually go over 15 minutes these days, so they are all quite intense sessions. If I want to do longer cardio sessions, I change to the SkiErg and then back again in circuits. I bought another top-notch cardio machine specifically to combat tedium. IMO they are best two cardio machines on the planet. The SkiErg gives the lower back a break from rowing, then you can come in fresh again and blast it. They make a magnificent combo that enables you to take intense cardio to a new level.

I disagree with that T-Nation article, stating that the elliptical is too easy. I used to use the Life Fitness elliptical and you can ramp it up and burn some serious calories at very high intensity... then I discovered the Cybex Arc Trainer which is even better. I've never been one to stare at the wall or read books or watch TV when I cardio. I do pump up the music though - usually Dance Music, which gives me a perfect 32 spm beat for rowing sprints.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I stare at the PM5 monitor of the Concept2 rowing machine... and constantly monitor my performance. I'm usually working too hard to get bored. It's tiring - would be a better description of what I'm feeling. I don't usually go over 15 minutes these days, so they are all quite intense sessions. If I want to do longer cardio sessions, I change to the SkiErg and then back again in circuits. I bought another top-notch cardio machine specifically to combat tedium. IMO they are best two cardio machines on the planet. The SkiErg gives the lower back a break from rowing, then you can come in fresh again and blast it. They make a magnificent combo that enables you to take intense cardio to a new level.

I disagree with that T-Nation article, stating that the elliptical is too easy. I used to use the Life Fitness elliptical and you can ramp it up and burn some serious calories at very high intensity... then I discovered the Cybex Arc Trainer which is even better. I've never been one to stare at the wall or read books or watch TV when I cardio. I do pump up the music though - usually Dance Music, which gives me a perfect 32 spm beat for rowing sprints.

The short hard sessions are not boring, for me the problems started if I went past half an hour (usually did 45 mins) Did try 60 mins a few times but that was just killing my brain.

Anyway I am planning on rowing more once my weight loss hits a wall.. will add it to to the loaded carries and normal weight training. I still think rowing is a great for training.. just got bored at some time. But now that I do less dead-lifts and use a belt for heavy squats my lower back suffers less so rowing is a good option again. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

The short hard sessions are not boring, for me the problems started if I went past half an hour (usually did 45 mins) Did try 60 mins a few times but that was just killing my brain.

Anyway I am planning on rowing more once my weight loss hits a wall.. will add it to to the loaded carries and normal weight training. I still think rowing is a great for training.. just got bored at some time. But now that I do less dead-lifts and use a belt for heavy squats my lower back suffers less so rowing is a good option again. 

These days I never do any straight sessions over 15 minutes, but I'll combine circuit sessions to total about 45 minutes max. This is a way to do longer sessions without "killing the brain". Even 30 minutes straight is too long for me, so I understand your problem really well. 

6 hours ago, tropo said:

These days I never do any straight sessions over 15 minutes, but I'll combine circuit sessions to total about 45 minutes max. This is a way to do longer sessions without "killing the brain". Even 30 minutes straight is too long for me, so I understand your problem really well. 

I think your circuit training is a good idea, I used to just grind through things but in the end it always failed me. I would eventually just drop the cardio. So now just trying to find something that "might" be less effective but I can keep doing long term.

I must also say in times when I am really training hard with my weightlifting sessions and muscle soreness comes up again (its happening now again) rowing is not my favorite exercise as it uses many of the same muscles i use for my weight sessions. My other mistake was doing the rowing every day (my impatient nature for fat loss contributed to that). That is also a sure way to stop doing it. So far the loaded caries don't bore me. Plus rowing I could find some excuse to stop but loaded caries I need to bring the weights back anyway and once i am past a point bringing it back or going on is the same. Also its more closely related to weight lifting then other stuff. 

Anyway as we get older we sometimes get wiser and learn more about ourselves. 

Completed a session.

25 mins rowing

Short break

Deadlifts

Side lateral raises

Tricep extensions using bodyweight

Short break

4 variations of farmers walk 

Forearms are fried which is good. Got bored rowing slow after 5mins so did the last 20mins at pace which affected deadlift.

Next time i will row 20mins at pace then walk 10mins to rest the back.

But overall was a good workout.

56 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think your circuit training is a good idea, I used to just grind through things but in the end it always failed me. I would eventually just drop the cardio. So now just trying to find something that "might" be less effective but I can keep doing long term.

I must also say in times when I am really training hard with my weightlifting sessions and muscle soreness comes up again (its happening now again) rowing is not my favorite exercise as it uses many of the same muscles i use for my weight sessions. My other mistake was doing the rowing every day (my impatient nature for fat loss contributed to that). That is also a sure way to stop doing it. So far the loaded caries don't bore me. Plus rowing I could find some excuse to stop but loaded caries I need to bring the weights back anyway and once i am past a point bringing it back or going on is the same. Also its more closely related to weight lifting then other stuff. 

Anyway as we get older we sometimes get wiser and learn more about ourselves. 

You could try rowing 5 mins flat out then treadmill 10 mins then repeat twice more. Ive done that a few times and enjoyed the workout.

"rowing is not my favorite exercise as it uses many of the same muscles i use for my weight sessions. "

Thats true. So you would need to do rowing before weights or have more days off for recovery time.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

You could try rowing 5 mins flat out then treadmill 10 mins then repeat twice more. Ive done that a few times and enjoyed the workout.

No treadmill but could use the elliptical or doing compounds.. but for now the farmers walks for 20 minutes are helping.  I am totally drenched each time I am done.. the T shirt looks like i played song kran for a few hours. 

I set up some buckets to do the carry. Used gravel and water. Started at 26kgs each. Can add weight plates to go more heavy.

Added garden hose and tape over the handles to make it comfortable to pick up.

Rob, do you do 2 days in a row with the walk or have rest days each time?

On 16/05/2018 at 5:47 AM, Justfine said:

I set up some buckets to do the carry. Used gravel and water. Started at 26kgs each. Can add weight plates to go more heavy.

Added garden hose and tape over the handles to make it comfortable to pick up.

Rob, do you do 2 days in a row with the walk or have rest days each time?

Great weight.. im at 20 kg (thinking of adding more but for now distance is more important for me). I train it every day no rest days though once in a while say every 2 weeks i skip a day. But you have to remember my body is used to quite a lot of training. This might not be the best option for everyone. 

Ok. I did some Tues then bought an Ex curl bar and did arms yesterday. Today rest. Tomorrow going to do cardio for 30mins then farmers with buckets then arms to finish.

Might try loaded wheelbarrow next week. Was thinking 100kgs using salt bags.

I see some people use 2 Ez curl bars for farmers walk as well. I dont need it yet as not heavy enough but with 1 arm it seems to be ok.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Great weight.. im at 20 kg (thinking of adding more but for now distance is more important for me). I train it every day no rest days though once in a while say every 2 weeks i skip a day. But you have to remember my body is used to quite a lot of training. This might not be the best option for everyone. 

It's not the best option for you either. I'll put money down that if you skip 2 or 3 days you'll come out and smash your previous performance records... which will prove that everyday training is not the best option. You're wearing yourself out. You're putting a lot of stress on your joints - by walking with loads. Another point on that is that the stronger you get, the more recovery you need because of the extra loads. The only benefit you're getting by doing it every day is burning extra calories compared to once every 2 or 3 days, which would be a far better option.

For example, each 1kg of extra load you carry puts 1.5kg of extra load on your knees. Then there's the spine, hips, ankles and shoulder joints to consider, and the possibility of RSI in the hands.

I know you know this is true. I was surprised to hear you're doing it every day. Next month you won't be doing this every day.

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's not the best option for you either. I'll put money down that if you skip 2 or 3 days you'll come out and smash your previous performance records... which will prove that everyday training is not the best option. You're wearing yourself out. You're putting a lot of stress on your joints - by walking with loads. Another point on that is that the stronger you get, the more recovery you need because of the extra loads. They only benefit you're getting is burning extra calories by doing it every day compared to once every 2 or 3 days, which would be a far better option.

For example, each 1kg of extra load you carry puts 1.5kg of extra load on your knees. Then there's the spine, hips and ankles to consider, and the possibility of RSI in the hands.

I know you know this is true. I was surprised to hear you're doing it every day. Next month you won't be doing this every day.

Been doing it every day since 20 march.. so that is close to 2 months. So far no problems. Ill keep on doing what is working and this is working for me. 

Not everyone is build the same I think you will have to accept that, just riddle yourself.. how did they get the roman legions in shape ? Day long marches.. and no breaks... the body can take a lot.. over training happens but is quite rare.

Unlike you I know my body (not saying you don't know your body but you don't know MY body) and unlike you i seem to have been injury free. What does that tell you. Maybe it should tell you we are not all build the same and recovery rates among people differ. Truth be said once every 2 weeks or so I do take a day off... but that is usually not intentional. 

Benefits so far.. far better grip strength.. better stamina. better posture.. les problems when doing certain exercises. 

I told you before I have had genetic tests done.. my recovery rate was given as a high. 

Plus this is not an all out thing... if i really wanted i could take an other 2 rounds. (would hurt would take longer but I could) So I am not training at my limit.

I'll stick with the rowing. 5 days a week. Weekdays I now start with a 5km row followed by 4 x 500m intervals. On Saturdays and Sundays I switch it around, sometimes 3 x 2,000 followed by 8x500 intervals, other times 5km followed by 2km and 6x500 intervals, etc. I do not get bored, but like Tropo I am focusing on the screen and trying to maintain performance. Also wear a pair of earphones and listen to a wide variety of fast beat music, including dance, using the Fit Radio app, which keeps me motivated.  

Archived