back to training - loaded carries

robblok

At 20kgs it's more cardio than resistance. At 50kgs I would agree that resting 2 days makes sense.

Joint strain would be an issue if running but walking not at 20kgs.

I could do a lot more than 26kgs but dont want too much joint strain and at that weight it's fine and i walk a leisurely speed.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, robblok said:

Been doing it every day since 20 march.. so that is close to 2 months. So far no problems. Ill keep on doing what is working and this is working for me. 

Not everyone is build the same I think you will have to accept that, just riddle yourself.. how did they get the roman legions in shape ? Day long marches.. and no breaks... the body can take a lot.. over training happens but is quite rare.

Unlike you I know my body (not saying you don't know your body but you don't know MY body) and unlike you i seem to have been injury free. What does that tell you. Maybe it should tell you we are not all build the same and recovery rates among people differ. Truth be said once every 2 weeks or so I do take a day off... but that is usually not intentional. 

Benefits so far.. far better grip strength.. better stamina. better posture.. les problems when doing certain exercises. 

I told you before I have had genetic tests done.. my recovery rate was given as a high. 

Plus this is not an all out thing... if i really wanted i could take an other 2 rounds. (would hurt would take longer but I could) So I am not training at my limit.

OK, that's pretty much the emotional response I expected from you... when I see bad ideas, I'll call them out, and training the same exercise every day is a bad idea for many reasons...

Before we continue, how about you define what "working for me" means exactly. If you trained smarter you would improve your strength and stamina far more. Better posture is an interesting one - how do you determine that?

Just because you think you're getting results by doing it every day doesn't mean much because you didn't try it every 2nd or 3rd day to compare results.

I'm concerned with optimal results, and you're not getting them by training (same exercise) every day... but it doesn't matter. Soon you'll throw the farmers walks and start something new again and this conversation about farmers walks will have been irrelevant.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I'll stick with the rowing. 5 days a week. Weekdays I now start with a 5km row followed by 4 x 500m intervals. On Saturdays and Sundays I switch it around, sometimes 3 x 2,000 followed by 8x500 intervals, other times 5km followed by 2km and 6x500 intervals, etc. I do not get bored, but like Tropo I am focusing on the screen and trying to maintain performance. Also wear a pair of earphones and listen to a wide variety of fast beat music, including dance, using the Fit Radio app, which keeps me motivated.  

Good work! It's hard to get bored when you're setting targets on the screen and trying to hold them. Have you ever tried rowing with the numbers covered? I used to tape a card to the screen for my wife so she could only see the time because she had a tendency to overdo it - always trying to beat yesterday's performance... but she still kept asking me to take it off.

Do you change your damper settings? Try sticking it up to 10 for some sessions and then drop it down again. My favourite position is about 5.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Good work! It's hard to get bored when you're setting targets on the screen and trying to hold them. Have you ever tried rowing with the numbers covered? I used to tape a card to the screen for my wife so she could only see the time because she had a tendency to overdo it - always trying to beat yesterday's performance... but she still kept asking me to take it off.

Do you change your damper settings? Try sticking it up to 10 for some sessions and then drop it down again. My favourite position is about 5.

Actually, I started mixing it up since you suggested I do so. Makes it less monotonous but also I can go flat out on the intervals. I used to do 30 minute rows on the week days. And weekends 30 minutes followed by 6x500 intervals to bring it up to just over 10 kms. 

I don't try to beat each day's performance but at least match it.  Having said that, I don't get stressed out by lower times or distances. I realize that there are so many factors involved which can affect performance.

I have my damper setting on the upper end of 5, but not quite 6. I slowly pushed it up to what I feel is the optimum setting for me. I have tried higher but my performance went down. And lower seems to to be way too easy, but without enough effort and I tended to row way too fast with a stroke rate of 32 or more.  

2 hours ago, tropo said:

OK, that's pretty much the emotional response I expected from you... when I see bad ideas, I'll call them out, and training the same exercise every day is a bad idea for many reasons...

Before we continue, how about you define what "working for me" means exactly. If you trained smarter you would improve your strength and stamina far more. Better posture is an interesting one - how do you determine that?

Just because you think you're getting results by doing it every day doesn't mean much because you didn't try it every 2nd or 3rd day to compare results.

I'm concerned with optimal results, and you're not getting them by training (same exercise) every day... but it doesn't matter. Soon you'll throw the farmers walks and start something new again and this conversation about farmers walks will have been irrelevant.

I only get emotional because you seem to think you know it all, I have read countless articles on the farmers walk. They are in agreement that you can do it every day (if you don't go heavy all the time). I told you I am training below my max, my body has not shown any signs of problems in those 2 months.

I like you know my body really well and feel when I am doing too much, I would not be bench pressing every day with weights that bring me close to failure, but bench pressing every day with lighter weights would not be a problem. (but not useful). 

My goal with farmers walk was distance not heavy ass weights, I havent increased the distance in a while because I know that would be too much. I experimented with doing it twice a day.. that obviously was too much and i felt it in my body. 

I am doing farmers walk for cardio and some strength.. guess what my trapeziums and shoulders are getting even bigger as normal. Not bad on a caloric deficit. My grip strength has improved. My weight has gone down.

Now about posture, you should read up on it how it improves posture but for me it has worked i walk up more straight. Farmers walk fixes imbalances. 

My other point is you are the one with countless injuries while I have remained almost injury free while you have had many injuries, either that says something about your training or your body. I firmly believe that not every body is the same and that some people recover faster than other. I told you I had the genetic tests done and one thing it said was that i recover well. 

But to be honest, i never ever gotten sore from farmers walk, while i still get sore from heavy workouts like the one i did Tuesday with deadlifts. I am pretty sure if i up the weights and start using straps things would change.. but I wont as I am going for distance.

I am certainly not saying that training a muscle every day is good if you go close to failure. I agree 100% there.

48 minutes ago, robblok said:

My other point is you are the one with countless injuries while I have remained almost injury free while you have had many injuries, either that says something about your training or your body. I firmly believe that not every body is the same and that some people recover faster than other. I told you I had the genetic tests done and one thing it said was that i recover well. 

There's no need to get emotional. I state my case and explain the reasons. You tend to get very upset when anyone disagrees with you.

I'll start with this first as it's the second time you've brought it up. There was no need to get personal, but that's what you do...

I don't care what you said about the genetics test - it's bogus and a waste of money. I thought that the first time you showed the results to me, but I kept my opinion to myself.

First, consider this:

1. I am 15 years older than you and a year off 60. Let's see how you go when you get there for a more fair comparison. I'm still training hard at around 4 - 5 times a week. At your age, I was lifting a lot heavier than you do with quite a bit more size. I've lost about 15kg off my peak, so I'm a relatively small 102kg these days and maintaining. Heavy lifting tends to give one experience with injuries and recovery because you are constantly pushing your body to its limits. I lifted heavy for a very long time.

2. At age 23 I had very bad motorcycle smash that broke my left tibia, femur, ulna and radius. As a result of lousy surgery, I have rotational problems in the left wrist and leg from this accident, and there's muscle missing, which has caused problems in the gym, but despite this, I pushed on and got back. I had a further smash about 15 years ago where I damaged (again) my left knee. I hit my knee on a car door. ouch!!

3. Despite this, right now I train virtually injury free other than some problems with the knees - arthritis. The way you talk it's like you debating with an invalid who suffers from constant injuries. Far from it. I have absolutely no back pain whatsoever. Shoulders and elbows are great.

You like to talk about your amazing workouts, so here's my workout, today:

It's not too bad for an old invalid trainer. I suffered from no injuries. Bear in mind that my maximum theoretical heart rate is 160, so I really pushed it.

5afdae313b4da_CardioSession-May172018.png.b8a803de1c46608c8ee240136324a717.png

Now let's talk about your injuries that you constantly claim never to have... You spoke many times about your back injury. You couldn't sleep because of it... for a very long time. That must have been really bad, but you forgot about it already. You kept making excuses it had nothing to do with training but that was merely denial. Of course, it was training related.

You want to make comparisons, let's be fair. You're basing your comparisons on lack of information.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

What qualifications do you have?

8 hours ago, tropo said:

I lost my connection cord so can't see the numbers. Put a clock on wall though to use for timing surges and overall.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

There's no need to get emotional. I state my case and explain the reasons. You tend to get very upset when anyone disagrees with you.

I'll start with this first as it's the second time you've brought it up. There was no need to get personal, but that's what you do...

I don't care what you said about the genetics test - it's bogus and a waste of money. I thought that the first time you showed the results to me, but I kept my opinion to myself.

First, consider this:

1. I am 15 years older than you and a year off 60. Let's see how you go when you get there for a more fair comparison. I'm still training hard at around 4 - 5 times a week. At your age, I was lifting a lot heavier than you do with quite a bit more size. I've lost about 15kg off my peak, so I'm a relatively small 102kg these days and maintaining. Heavy lifting tends to give one experience with injuries and recovery because you are constantly pushing your body to its limits. I lifted heavy for a very long time.

2. At age 23 I had very bad motorcycle smash that broke my left tibia, femur, ulna and radius. As a result of lousy surgery, I have rotational problems in the left wrist and leg from this accident, and there's muscle missing, which has caused problems in the gym, but despite this, I pushed on and got back. I had a further smash about 15 years ago where I damaged (again) my left knee. I hit my knee on a car door. ouch!!

3. Despite this, right now I train virtually injury free other than some problems with the knees - arthritis. The way you talk it's like you debating with an invalid who suffers from constant injuries. Far from it. I have absolutely no back pain whatsoever. Shoulders and elbows are great.

It's not too bad for an old invalid trainer. I suffered from no injuries. Bear in mind that my maximum theoretical heart rate is 160, so I really pushed it.

Now let's talk about your injuries that you constantly claim never to have... You spoke many times about your back injury. You couldn't sleep because of it... for a very long time. That must have been really bad, but you forgot about it already. You kept making excuses it had nothing to do with training but that was merely denial. Of course, it was training related.

You want to make comparisons, let's be fair. You're basing your comparisons on lack of information.

There you go lecturing others yet again.

It's better to talk about what works for yourself rather than lecture other people you don't know. 

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

Actually, I started mixing it up since you suggested I do so. Makes it less monotonous but also I can go flat out on the intervals. I used to do 30 minute rows on the week days. And weekends 30 minutes followed by 6x500 intervals to bring it up to just over 10 kms. 

I don't try to beat each day's performance but at least match it.  Having said that, I don't get stressed out by lower times or distances. I realize that there are so many factors involved which can affect performance.

I have my damper setting on the upper end of 5, but not quite 6. I slowly pushed it up to what I feel is the optimum setting for me. I have tried higher but my performance went down. And lower seems to to be way too easy, but without enough effort and I tended to row way too fast with a stroke rate of 32 or more.  

5 hours ago, tropo said:

One idea is to have 3 different routines.

Stage 1 longer duration at low intensity

Stage 2 medium duration medium intensity

Stage 3 sprints at max intensity.

So 3 different routines on different days.

Makes it more interesting and works the muscles differently.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I only get emotional because you seem to think you know it all, I have read countless articles on the farmers walk. They are in agreement that you can do it every day (if you don't go heavy all the time). I told you I am training below my max, my body has not shown any signs of problems in those 2 months.

I like you know my body really well and feel when I am doing too much, I would not be bench pressing every day with weights that bring me close to failure, but bench pressing every day with lighter weights would not be a problem. (but not useful). 

My goal with farmers walk was distance not heavy ass weights, I havent increased the distance in a while because I know that would be too much. I experimented with doing it twice a day.. that obviously was too much and i felt it in my body. 

I am doing farmers walk for cardio and some strength.. guess what my trapeziums and shoulders are getting even bigger as normal. Not bad on a caloric deficit. My grip strength has improved. My weight has gone down.

Now about posture, you should read up on it how it improves posture but for me it has worked i walk up more straight. Farmers walk fixes imbalances. 

But to be honest, i never ever gotten sore from farmers walk, while i still get sore from heavy workouts like the one i did Tuesday with deadlifts. I am pretty sure if i up the weights and start using straps things would change.. but I wont as I am going for distance.

I am certainly not saying that training a muscle every day is good if you go close to failure. I agree 100% there.

At 20 mins per session that's 140 mins a week.

That's pretty moderate imo.

I prefer 3 days on and 1 or 2 off with cardio but my sessions are longer.

When I walked with 20kgs 2 weeks ago I recovered quickly. Could have walked the next day easy. When I walked with 26kgs on Tues I felt the traps recovering over 2 days.

Actual farmers who carry buckets would mostly be carrying 5 to 20kg buckets so it's more cardio and forearms.

The only concern I would have if I did your program is boredom. Doing the same thing everyday I couldnt last long.

8 hours ago, tropo said:

First, consider this:

Les,

It seems you are the one getting emotional about your injuries. Yes I brought my back up many times and guess what in the end it was not my back that was the problem that woke me up. I talked about that before, i thought i was waking up because of my lower back. Now it seems it has nothing to do with my lower back (still not sure if its the prostate or my low thyroid). I just assumed it was my back. Anyway back has never been stronger then now. 

I never called you an invalid, i just said you have more injuries then me but are lecturing me about injury prevention. The only injury i really have occasionally is a day of an minor ache behind one of the shoulder blades usually goes away within a day or two. 

I have often said you beat me hands down cardio, you still do there is no comparison there if you remember i always compliment you on your rowing. My amazing workouts are workouts where i feel good and lift more then normal, you know the kind. I am quite sure your in far better shape cardio wise. 

My whole point was that you always think to know best and assume I did not do research myself. Do you really think I want to end up over trained ? I read up on the farmers walk and quite a few people with great knowledge say its ok to do it every day IF you don't go super heavy. Given the fact that i go for distance and do it totally different from how strong men train there is little chance of me over training. 

At this point im on a caloric deficit so doing more and longer is not a priority because my body just does not have the fuel to improve. I am doing my farmers walk fasted (again limiting how much i can do and i keep a margin of what i can do). I now use yohimbine (supposed to help against stuborn fat if used correctly) to attack the suborn fat (combined with the morning farmers walks) It is making a real dent in the fat (slowly but surely).

I have no disagreement with you about not doing an heavy exercise every day that just won't work. You wont see me deadlifting every day. I told you before i made sure I don't do that more then once a week. Does that sound like someone that does not know there is a risk to training to heavy all the time. I also take deloads in my program (week of light lifting to recover). 

Disagreeing with me is not a problem but acting like I have no idea what I am doing is. You do what works for you and I do what works for me. I don't believe that we are all the same some things will work better for certain people just like some people recover faster. 

For hypertrophy doing an exercise every day is pointless and dangerous, for cardio different rules apply. I realize this is more HIIT then cardio but it is objective is not building muscle but burning some fat. There are better ways, but this is a way that works best for me.

To quote the strongest bodybuilder there was: what is the best exercise..... the one you keep doing.  What is the best diet... the one you stick too. (Stan Efferding)

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

It's better to talk about what works for yourself rather than lecture other people you don't know. 

He knows me well we have met, we are friends. Having a discussion with each-other has never been a problem and will not be a problem. We just don't see things the same. 

I have found that people differ and different things work for different people. I don't disagree with him that training the same muscle / doing the same exercise all the time is bad when muscle gain is the goal. Things are different when fat loss is the goal and the weighs are lighter. 

I do see difference in my shoulders but i guess that is just because its an exercise i never did before. 

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

At 20 mins per session that's 140 mins a week.

That's pretty moderate imo.

I prefer 3 days on and 1 or 2 off with cardio but my sessions are longer.

When I walked with 20kgs 2 weeks ago I recovered quickly. Could have walked the next day easy. When I walked with 26kgs on Tues I felt the traps recovering over 2 days.

Actual farmers who carry buckets would mostly be carrying 5 to 20kg buckets so it's more cardio and forearms.

The only concern I would have if I did your program is boredom. Doing the same thing everyday I couldnt last long.

Yes its moderate but have you tried 20 minutes with 20 kg... after you done it you won't call it moderate.  Time wise its moderate (part of the reason why i like it) The start with 20 kg is real easy... it just becomes a lot heavier later on. 

I agree about the boredom but with 20 minutes I don't get bored that is also one of the reasons i do it every day because otherwise I would have to make my sessions longer. But the fact that its heavy and tires me and looks more like lifting then cardio makes it that im not bored. Thing is we are all different, i could never do what Tropo does it would blow my mind, that kind of training is not for me. That is actually my point, you can't just all do the same. I believe and so do many of the experts that consistency beats it all. 

I find the 20 minutes a nice kick start of the day, all i have to do is take the weights walk 20 meters to the park and start. 

In the end cardio for weight loss is pretty pointless (unless you do what Tropo does or what you do) because if you burn 10 cals per minute its a lot that means a full hour before you get anywhere. Then you need to do that 12 times to lose a kg of fat. (providing your not eating more to compensate). Most comes from diet. 

16 hours ago, GarryP said:

I'll stick with the rowing. 5 days a week. Weekdays I now start with a 5km row followed by 4 x 500m intervals. On Saturdays and Sundays I switch it around, sometimes 3 x 2,000 followed by 8x500 intervals, other times 5km followed by 2km and 6x500 intervals, etc. I do not get bored, but like Tropo I am focusing on the screen and trying to maintain performance. Also wear a pair of earphones and listen to a wide variety of fast beat music, including dance, using the Fit Radio app, which keeps me motivated.  

Great work you need to do whatever you can to keep going. For me the rowing got boring and because it was on a machine i could stop at any time. With the farmers walk you just can't stop during a round (weights have to get home anyway). So as long as i keep going past the start point its no use to stop. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

To quote the strongest bodybuilder there was: what is the best exercise..... the one you keep doing.  What is the best diet... the one you stick too. (Stan Efferding)

Correct. No 2 bodies are the same. Look at the playing styles of tennis players. All different. Whatever works best for the individual.

14 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Correct. No 2 bodies are the same. Look at the playing styles of tennis players. All different. Whatever works best for the individual.

Some people seem to believe that if you follow a certain program from a famous fitness model on youtube you will look like him. Fact of the matter is it depends on genetics. Some people have an 8 pack or a 6 pack or 4 pack with a flat slab below. You can't change how your muscles are made up. 

I wish I could make my abs a bit thicker but my abs don't grow as well as my other muscles. We just have to live with the cards we are dealt and improve on that.

I have a friend who drinks loads of beer but stays lean and has nice abs, he also has a nice back but never trains it much. My arms are big but I don't train them much. If you were to train like me it would not give you the same arms. Too bad few people understand that there are limitations to what they can do. It sets them up for failure they believe the commercials of those fitness guru's and then don't get the same results. 

I am quite happy with how i look and i know my weak points. I am happy that I am no longer fat like 7 years ago now I can slowly lose the last fat without having to rush it (though I admit i am an impatient guy). But once your in a state you can live with its ok when it goes a bit slower.

6 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Is that you or somebody else?

if that was me i would not be posting about wanting to lose some fat around the belly.  No its more about how people are different and how people store fat differently.  He is bigger then me for sure.

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Ok. I thought it was you.

I wish though he is a bit at the limit of what i would like. 

If that was me I'd have my own YouTube Chanel and try to sell stuff :smile:

Did you actually watch the video... he makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Wouldnt mind shoulders like that.

Neither would I i got pretty decent shoulders but not as big as his. I am stil sculpting my body a bit meaning i would not mind a bit of extra mass at certain area's. Now giving my trapezius a bit of extra love. Overall I am happy with my size.. just need to get leaner. 

People actually look bigger when they are leaner. After I am as lean as i want to be (IF i get there). I will be doing some reverse dieting. Will take a lot of time and effort but with some luck it would mean that I could eat more and maybe gain some muscle without getting fat. Basics are like adding 50 cals per week to your diet based on the fact that the body wants homeostasis and as the difference is not too much will just increase metabolic rate to burn it off. Then next week again the same thing rinse and repeat.  (i never tried it before but read good things about it if done carefully)

The loaded carries are going quite well though today i took the yohimbine HCL a bit too close to the workout ramping my heartrate up a bit too much during the first 2 rounds after that it was ok. Yohimbine HCL (in a fasted state) is supposed to help mobilize belly fat. I stil had some lying around I wanted to try it before but never did fasted cardio before and its best to do it with fasted cardio.. then not eat for a while. Will see if it has any effect. Others say it has but it might not work for me.

12 hours ago, Justfine said:

I knew it wouldn't be too long before you put in your 2 cents worth... or is it 1 satang?

Debate on the subject or go away. There's no need to troll. Despite what it looks like, Robblok and I have been doing this for years.

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I knew it wouldn't be too long before you put in your 2 cents worth... or is it 1 satang?

Debate on the subject or go away. There's no need to troll. Despite what it looks like, Robblok and I have been doing this for years.

I see.

12 hours ago, Justfine said:

What qualifications do you have?

What qualifications do you have? As for me, just 43 years in the dungeon, a couple of personal training courses and gym instructor way back... and a keen interest in exercise physiology and health.

Archived