back to training - loaded carries

robblok

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

10 sets is extreme. I think 5 to 6 is the go.

When the guy talks about volume in video he's not talking about extreme volume. He's talking about measuring how much you do then going up in an orderly way. If you are lifting 60 to 70% for 5 or 6 sets to exhaustion you will be tanked already. Anymore would be over training. If you want to go heavy at 80 to 90% then 3 sets at that level and 3 more at 60 to 70% creates volume. Anymore would be too much.

Lets say your 1 rep max is 100kgs. Do a warm up at 50kgs for 10 reps. Then 3 sets at say 85kgs to exhaustion or near then 3 sets at 65kgs to exhaustion or near. Out of the 6 sets I would do 4 to exhaustion rather than all 6. Say 2 in the heavy range and 2 in the lighter range.

Now if the total volume is 4000kgs one week the goal might be 4100kgs next week. After 10 weeks you are moving an extra 25%.

That way you don't overtrain and have energy for multiple exercises same day.

Yes, that is the stuff i read about too and aim for (not now on a cut that would be suicide). I have a problem with going to failure if you train alone it can be dangerous. For my bench press i know pretty well what i can do and can get to failure with other exercises without a spotter it might be dangerous. I am close to failure and train hard but I have in the past been pinned under a 100 kg weight with bench press when doing sets. Its not something I want to do again. I also have had to drop heavy dumbbells once when I made a mistake. (good thing i got rubber floor mats) but still its something i like to prevent. 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, tropo said:

I've always believed it's your last 2 sets where you get all your strength gains and muscle growth... but you need warmup sets to get you there. That's the way Dorian Yates used to train. Just count the first 2 - 3 sets as lead-up sets to prepare you for the big one, or two. It is very important to get the body and mind prepared for the heavy sets. If you're training this way, be sure that your leadup sets are comfortable and easy, stopping well short of your limit.

Regarding extra leg exercises to do at home. You could add front squats that target your quads more vs back squats. Step-ups with weights is a good one. Just think, when you step-up you're pushing/pulling your entire body weight with one leg. If you squat 100kg (assuming you weigh 100kg), each leg is pushing 100kg (not quite because we're not pushing much of our body weight below the knees). If you step up with no extra bodyweight, each leg is still pushing exactly 100kg... then if you add say 20kg each arm, that's 140kg each leg. With step-ups you can also adjust the height to suit your goals. If you want more quad strength, step lower. If you want to work the glutes more, step high. You get a lot of leg stimulus with far less load on your spine too - another big advantage. Unfortunately for me, it's hard on the knees. It's actually the stepping down that is more difficult than going up.

How high is your step up bench ? and it sounds interesting, my legs are looking good but just feel 2 exercises are not much for legs. 

About the 2 sets where you gain your muscle growth,  i read quite a few articles about it and think they are right. Once this cut is done I am going to change my program again and see what it brings me. I actually already incorporate it for certain exercises. I am not sure if its a good idea for isolation exercises. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes, that is the stuff i read about too and aim for (not now on a cut that would be suicide). I have a problem with going to failure if you train alone it can be dangerous. For my bench press i know pretty well what i can do and can get to failure with other exercises without a spotter it might be dangerous. I am close to failure and train hard but I have in the past been pinned under a 100 kg weight with bench press when doing sets. Its not something I want to do again. I also have had to drop heavy dumbbells once when I made a mistake. (good thing i got rubber floor mats) but still its something i like to prevent. 

Fair enough. I dont do bench anymore.

The caloric deficit is getting to me, I am feeling weaker during my loaded caries.(going to add a bit extra carbs today) On the plus side the semi gloves i ordered are working like a charm. Its funny how the focus of what muscles are holding me back has changed over time. Before it was grip strength, now i feel it far more in my traps. I can advise everyone who does loaded caries to get these semi gloves believe they are 300 bt on ebay. 

In the end its not my strength holding me back but my stamina, i really need time to catch my breath and get my heartbeat back to a lower rate when i put the weights down. I try not to stop longer then 20 seconds. On the whole my weight loss is working i see the numbers going down. But the more the numbers are going down the more I think I need to go lower then my original target to get super lean. 

6 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Fair enough. I dont do bench anymore.

I love bench press but its not for everyone, i do incline dumbbell press to balance it out a bit. I do sets with bench-press of around 120 kg x 8. My bench-press is in comparison much stronger then my other exercises. I think its because when i started lifting at 16-17 it always was my favorite. Squat was neglected as legs were not that important for boy that age and dead-lift is something I only started when I arrived in Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The caloric deficit is getting to me, I am feeling weaker during my loaded caries.(going to add a bit extra carbs today) On the plus side the semi gloves i ordered are working like a charm. Its funny how the focus of what muscles are holding me back has changed over time. Before it was grip strength, now i feel it far more in my traps. I can advise everyone who does loaded caries to get these semi gloves believe they are 300 bt on ebay. 

In the end its not my strength holding me back but my stamina, i really need time to catch my breath and get my heartbeat back to a lower rate when i put the weights down. I try not to stop longer then 20 seconds. On the whole my weight loss is working i see the numbers going down. But the more the numbers are going down the more I think I need to go lower then my original target to get super lean. 

How many calories did you cut?

Ive lost fat every week since Dec 9. Havent counted calories at all. Worst week was minus 0.2kgs.

Just now, robblok said:

I love bench press but its not for everyone, i do incline dumbbell press to balance it out a bit. I do sets with bench-press of around 120 kg x 8. My bench-press is in comparison much stronger then my other exercises. I think its because when i started lifting at 16-17 it always was my favorite. Squat was neglected as legs were not that important for boy that age and dead-lift is something I only started when I arrived in Thailand. 

120kg is good. Ive had some niggles from sport and find bench triggers inflammation so dropped it completely.

Just now, Justfine said:

120kg is good. Ive had some niggles from sport and find bench triggers inflammation so dropped it completely.

I am lucky bench does not seem to hurt me others like you have this problem. Your not alone in your problem. I hear face pulls can help. 

3 minutes ago, Justfine said:

How many calories did you cut?

Ive lost fat every week since Dec 9. Havent counted calories at all. Worst week was minus 0.2kgs.

I cut around 500 calories, for me cutting calories and weighing my food is the only thing that works. I am the kind of guy that could easily devour 2 pizza's and then take an ice-cream. I can eat even when I am not hungry. So what helps me is set portions. My problem is my thyroid normal bodybuilders eat 2500 cals on a cut, im closer to 1600-1800 my maintenance is low too. It has always been that way ever since i was a kid.. I never was fat but I was not slim either. 

I have had weeks of zero weight loss and then all in a sudden 2 kg... the body sometimes puts water in the fat cells under stress (heavy exercise and less calories stress the body) and then all of a sudden drop it all. 

I would love to see a regular weight loss all the time, it helps with motivation, nothing is worse then not seeing the scale move and looking bloated. It then takes real willpower to stick with it and go on.

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I cut around 500 calories, for me cutting calories and weighing my food is the only thing that works. I am the kind of guy that could easily devour 2 pizza's and then take an ice-cream. I can eat even when I am not hungry. So what helps me is set portions. My problem is my thyroid normal bodybuilders eat 2500 cals on a cut, im closer to 1600-1800 my maintenance is low too. It has always been that way ever since i was a kid.. I never was fat but I was not slim either. 

I have had weeks of zero weight loss and then all in a sudden 2 kg... the body sometimes puts water in the fat cells under stress (heavy exercise and less calories stress the body) and then all of a sudden drop it all. 

I would love to see a regular weight loss all the time, it helps with motivation, nothing is worse then not seeing the scale move and looking bloated. It then takes real willpower to stick with it and go on.

Too much. 200 to 250 would be better.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Its an exercise supposed to cure shoulder and back problems, just look it up its a bit weird exercise but many of the top trainers swear by it. 

https://www.t-nation.com/training/you-should-be-doing-face-pulls

Ok i googled it. I will try now with resistance band.

Thought you were talking about pulling an angry face in order to lift more 555

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Too much. 200 to 250 would be better.

Depends, 500 calories is an accepted amount, it would lead to about half a kg of weight loss per week (in theory). Plus I have a refeed once week where I go 200-300 calories above my maintenance calories. I did not calculate how much I needed... i just checked what amount of food kept my weight stable as calculation of calories are for normal people not those with thyroid problems. When I read about people consuming 3500 calories (healthy ones) im amazed. The top bodybuilders eat even more 5000 calories.. can you imagine.

On those weight loss tv shows they eat 1000 to 1400. Thats crazy low for someone over 180cm and carrying muscle. They will lose strength and muscle. Would only be worth it if you won the $$ prize. Otherwise it's a bad idea.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

How high is your step up bench ? and it sounds interesting, my legs are looking good but just feel 2 exercises are not much for legs. 

About the 2 sets where you gain your muscle growth,  i read quite a few articles about it and think they are right. Once this cut is done I am going to change my program again and see what it brings me. I actually already incorporate it for certain exercises. I am not sure if its a good idea for isolation exercises. 

I would use my regular bench for step ups, which is 17 inches (43cm) and I can adjust it by putting flat plates under the feet. You have to play around to find the best height. I put a solid mat on top of it which makes it stable enough for me with bare feet. If you need more stability you could use a board.

Today was an exceptional day, not really sure why. I was a lot heavier then normal, probably caused by salt from some chicken i bought prepared and all. Nothing to worry about, the weather was cooler so after taking my morning stimulants (cafeine / yohimbine HCL). I took a quick shower (to wake up) and put on the headset and sweatbands and those new semi gloves. These things really help making things not painful.

I felt full of energy even though I had a bad night sleeping wise. I started walking and straight away i knew I was stronger today made it 2  3/4 round before having to put the weights down. I kept on going and made 6 rounds instead of my normal 5 1/2, I am sure I could have done more but as I don't want to over train i stopped. If this goes on I will have to increase the weights, thinking about either 5lb per kettlebell or 2,5 lb  (it does not sound much but i think ill go for the lower option just to test).

I really see myself leaning out around the belly area so that is a good thing. Later today my normal lifting session.

Its funny how the exercise when i started it was more about grip strength and arms and now more the traps. My theory is that once weak area's are stronger other area's become the weak area's. There are so many muscles working this exercise, not sure but it even looks like my calf muscles are improving (strange on a caloric deficit)

"Its funny how the exercise when i started it was more about grip strength and arms and now more the traps."

Traps are a lot stronger. I feel it a lot more in the forearms, mainly the weaker arm forearm. The stronger side could cope with an extra 10% no problem.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

"Its funny how the exercise when i started it was more about grip strength and arms and now more the traps."

Traps are a lot stronger. I feel it a lot more in the forearms, mainly the weaker arm forearm. The stronger side could cope with an extra 10% no problem.

I think its more about that weak points get stronger and then there are new weak points. That is at least what I have read about the loaded carries. It fixes your weak points and then an other point is the weakest link. Like you at first my forearms were where i felt it most, strange thing that my dominant arm seemed weaker than my other hand.

10% is quite a bit, just imagine adding 10% to your squat or bench-press. I will first see what 5% does that is if tomorrow is going as well as today. It could be just that today was an exceptional day. You got days like that where all things go better then normal.

16 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Unusual for dominant arm to have a weaker forearm. My dominant side seems much stronger all over incl shoulder on other exercises.

Yes, i found it real unusual too.. never noticed it with any other exercise that was why i mentioned it. It was mainly grip strength that was failing. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I think its more about that weak points get stronger and then there are new weak points. That is at least what I have read about the loaded carries. It fixes your weak points and then an other point is the weakest link. Like you at first my forearms were where i felt it most, strange thing that my dominant arm seemed weaker than my other hand.

10% is quite a bit, just imagine adding 10% to your squat or bench-press. I will first see what 5% does that is if tomorrow is going as well as today. It could be just that today was an exceptional day. You got days like that where all things go better then normal.

Don't underestimate the benefit of cooler weather. A few degrees can make a big difference to energy levels. 

Do you not wear a heart rate monitor?

Archived