BANGKOK 21 April 2019 03:11

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Camilo Diaz

Thai coconuts Export Ban

I got a little more information.  This is a program to combat an infestation of coconut black headed caterpillar. (the larva stage of a moth). They are developing an IPM program with several modalities and materials as possibilities, including biological control agents and certain insecticides. The stem injection method is only one of the trial methods, and the material being used is emamectin benzoate, a derivative of abamectin.  I've used it in closed system stem injection for certain tree pests in the US, but it's always labeled: "Do not apply to trees that may yield food consumed by humans or used in animal feed."

The IPM project in the video is from Samut Songkhram. 

http://www.agriqua.doae.go.th/blackheadcontrol/blackhead.html

https://www.matichon.co.th/news/601307

1 hour ago, drtreelove said:

This is very disturbing.  I first didn't take this article too seriously, but then I noticed the link at the bottom to the parent article and video.  They are using a crude stem injection technique to treat coconut palms with a highly mobile insecticide that could very well end up in the coconuts, water and flesh. It is completely irresponsible and without concern for consumers.  I don't know how prevalent or widespread this is, but I wouldn't even wish it on my rude monkey to drink that coconut water. 

http://www.bangkokbiznews.com/news/detail/784172

IT looks like that is why I keep pumping in pick ups selling cheap coconuts all over Bangkok....

All coconut trees surrounding my house have since more than a month an orange sticker with the date written on it.

I asked my son and he told me that the trees have been injected with a chemical. It must be government initiated since the land belongs to many different owners.

Yet they have been harvesting the coconuts without any hesitation.

They sell young coconuts from Thailand at Sprouts markets in California. $2.95 I think. Sometimes 2 for $5. Do they fly them or transport by ship?

21 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

All coconut trees surrounding my house have since more than a month an orange sticker with the date written on it.

I asked my son and he told me that the trees have been injected with a chemical. It must be government initiated since the land belongs to many different owners.

Yet they have been harvesting the coconuts without any hesitation.

What province is that? 

2 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

What province is that? 

Chonburi - Banglamung district Nongplalai sub district

It's not a sticker actually, it's an orange tape around the tree.