Grab Buys Uber’s Southeast Asia Business, Ending Service in Thailand in Two Weeks from Today

snoop1130

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dibbler said:

In the app you can select Just Grab which means the closest Grab car or Grab taxi comes. Price is the same. Seems taxi meter is cheaper by a long way, so not much incentive to use Grab except for the convenience of not having to use cash, and the many ways you can use points collected

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I thought Grab taxi is just a metered taxi and that you have to pay cash as per the meter rate + 60 baht.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Grab has finally pulled the plug on the former UberEats food delivery website. When I go there today, the site still exists, but no content, no restaurants listed at all. Dead.

Originally, UberEats was supposed to continue operating, and did continue operating, after the Grab taxi takeover, for a month or two until Grab was supposed to replace UberEats with restaurant food delivery. But the details of that were never clearly spelled out, AFAIK.

It looks like there's now a Grab food delivery website, as well as a food delivery component on the Grab app. But the Grab app food delivery info appears to be largely in Thai language (even when you've set the app for English), whereas at least the Grab food website has some English. But I can't find any way to order food via their website -- it appears to only point you back to their mobile app.

And Grab Food's support info mentioned in a couple places that the app will only show you restaurants within about 4 km of your current location, which AFAIK is a vastly smaller service area than used to exist with UberEats. Search in the Grab app Food section using English terms like "ice cream" or "desert" or even "Mexican," and at least at my central BKK location, I get nothing.

https://www.grab.com/th/en/grabfood/

You might think there would be some referral info on the former UberEats website pointing people to its "replacement" service with Grab, but there is none. And at least for me, haven't received any info from anyone advising whether the former UberEats account login password info got carried over to Grab, or it's starting entirely from scratch with them.

All in all, it looks like a giant step backward.

5af956de0717d_2018-05-1416_23_31.jpg.eff3608d7081fd8c2c3afb54540b3df0.jpg

5af956dfe51f9_2018-05-1416_23_32.jpg.84eb36a0454623ddc0278fd89215e714.jpg

Archived