Vitara 1999 can I swap manual to automatic?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, transam said:

If the cable is frayed you can usually feel it through the pedal/foot...

Maybe that symptom was mentioned that back in post #10?

"A couple of friends agreed the clutch became stiffer half way down then even worse......"

2 minutes ago, ningnong said:

"A couple of friends agreed the clutch became stiffer half way down then even worse......"

Buy a tin of Sonax spray, has a nice thin tube for awkward places, put the end of that tube at the end of the inner/outer cable and give it a good blast..Leave it five minutes then pump the pedal a dozen or more times, see what happens...

4 hours ago, cheeryble said:

The car is such a good fit for my v long body, the rather rough roads I seem to sometimes go on, and to hang my bike on it's bracket I made for the rear door wheel it's difficult to find an alternative.

The older I get the more I'll appreciate a high seat entry.

Plus I got to build a house shortly and pay for it.

Not a hint of smoke from the tailpipe it would be like putting down a beloved dog which with 16 valves still overtakes most others.

What I DO NEED is a reupholstered driver's seat.

But take your point and would like better gas mileage.

BTW Kh AWirat at Suzuki keeps an old Vitara same as mine..

One of my worst decisions in relation to a vehicle was car seats. I pulled the bench seat out of an old Toyota Hilux 4WD ( now that does ride high ) and bought two Recaro seats on eBay for $150 (AUD). I then had them reupholstered in kangaroo fur for $300.

Those seats were the most comfortable ever, I could drive 1000 km a day and get out of the vehicle with no stiffness. The fur meant I would never sweat uncomfortably, even in outback Australia. Sun on the seats? Never got hot.

I should have pulled those seats out before I sold the Toyota. My dentist at the time saw them, and wanted to install them in his BMW. Offered me free dental treatment for a year.

23 hours ago, ningnong said:

YEs but feels pretty smooth now

23 hours ago, transam said:

Buy a tin of Sonax spray, has a nice thin tube for awkward places, put the end of that tube at the end of the inner/outer cable and give it a good blast..Leave it five minutes then pump the pedal a dozen or more times, see what happens...

Will take a look to see if I think the lube will travel far.

May be best to just get the cable changed and have them give the pedal top, firewall fitting, and lower end a good look see.

How much for that? Hour's work and a cable set?

I guess it should have the outer cable too and depends on the condition of the fittings I guess.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

One of my worst decisions in relation to a vehicle was car seats. I pulled the bench seat out of an old Toyota Hilux 4WD ( now that does ride high ) and bought two Recaro seats on eBay for $150 (AUD). I then had them reupholstered in kangaroo fur for $300.

Those seats were the most comfortable ever, I could drive 1000 km a day and get out of the vehicle with no stiffness. The fur meant I would never sweat uncomfortably, even in outback Australia. Sun on the seats? Never got hot.

I should have pulled those seats out before I sold the Toyota. My dentist at the time saw them, and wanted to install them in his BMW. Offered me free dental treatment for a year.

What did the kangaroos have to say about it?

1 minute ago, cheeryble said:

Will take a look to see if I think the lube will travel far.

May be best to just get the cable changed and have them give the pedal top, firewall fitting, and lower end a good look see.

How much for that? Not much eh?

Sonax, peanuts, never be without it.....

Sit in your ride...Engine off..Press the clutch pedal down then up, keeping your foot on it all the time...Can you feel anything through your foot...?

Then try, push the pedal to the floor then take your foot off QUICK, does the pedal SNAP up or is it laboured....?

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Sonax, peanuts, never be without it.....

Sit in your ride...Engine off..Press the clutch pedal down then up, keeping your foot on it all the time...Can you feel anything through your foot...?

Then try, push the pedal to the floor then take your foot off QUICK, does the pedal SNAP up or is it laboured....?

OK slowly pumping:

Feels smooth EXCEPT about 60% of the way down a slight "hump" of resistance. It aint much to bother about but interestingly it's about the point it USED to get stiff.

Pulling foot off:

Pedal snaps up normally I'd say

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

What did the kangaroos have to say about it?

It's legal to hunt kangaroos in Australia. To have their skins tanned, however, one needs dockets that are issued to station ( ranch ) owners.

They are also a very common ingredient in fresh dog and cat meat sold by supermarkets.

• 1 month later...

SUCCESS!!

Well the local place said the cable was fine.

It was far from fine.

The cable below is supposed to be a cable regular along its length not bent into a 90 degree elbow and flattened out at the bend.

One can imagine how the increasing heat affected it

Take a look.....job done.

Thanx for all help

IMG_4263.JPG.0e30023ddd8292f8755175bb62a88664.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

No wonder it wasn't right. What a mess. They did badly not to spot that. Glad you finally got it sorted.

AND they put an unnecessary new clutch in.

Anyway thanks for yr help and encouragement.....

2 hours ago, cheeryble said:

AND they put an unnecessary new clutch in.

Anyway thanks for yr help and encouragement.....

I initially thought that, then I remembered the pic showing how grooved the fingers were on the cover plate that came out. That would certainly have failed at some point. Do try to get out of the habit of clutch riding .... though I think you might already have done so. Remember you never need the clutch in a hurry, only the brake.

7 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

I initially thought that, then I remembered the pic showing how grooved the fingers were on the cover plate that came out. That would certainly have failed at some point. Do try to get out of the habit of clutch riding .... though I think you might already have done so. Remember you never need the clutch in a hurry, only the brake.

You're right but there's simply nowhere to put my size 12s

I called to see my experienced garage-owning friend today. I had previously discussed your problem with him & his senior mechanic. (See post #76 28 May).  I showed him the photo of the clutch cable, he immediately and without hesitation said the engine to chassis earth strap should be checked and/or replaced. If this is in poor condition it will attempt to use the clutch cable as an earth.

11 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

I called to see my experienced garage-owning friend today. I had previously discussed your problem with him & his senior mechanic. (See post #76 28 May).  I showed him the photo of the clutch cable, he immediately and without hesitation said the engine to chassis earth strap should be checked and/or replaced. If this is in poor condition it will attempt to use the clutch cable as an earth.

MAybe he,s suggesting a current in the cable heats it up and the heat softens the cable sleeving?

this May figure as although the sleeve would receive radiate don’t engine heat it should be made to handle this, and it’s only directly touched a casing that was something to do with air management so was only mildly warm.

I better go and tell Ton at ProAuto and let them check.

thanks for the tip! Good detective work all the way.

On July 17, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Lancashirelad said:

Morning LL

I just sent a message to Ton at ProAuto and hope to get them to inspect soon.

In the meantime I did a little search and found this which reinforces your suggestion especially the third post which mentions the possible heating:

https://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-jimny-sierra-samurai-forum/42735-shocking-throttle-cable.html

It may also explain a couple of elec malfunctions if we're lucky......a window is very weak to operate, central locking doesn’t work on all doors, occasional AC fan doesn’t work. If one or two of these worked better with new earthing it would be a result

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

20 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

I think it unlikely a bad engine earth strap would cause those other issues as those things earth thru' the body, however, I would certainly also get him to check the battery to body earth.

Yeah guess you're right in fact they couldn't check yesterday too busy. I had a quick look at the battery earth and at first glance it looks healthy in fact replaced the battery just weeks ago with a nice green Amarin from Sweden. No rust or anything anyway on the body connection. I tried to find the braided earth strap down below briefly but decided it's much easier and cleaner just to go back and get it up on the lift.

Funny coincidence the windows all stopped working and the aircon switch light didn;t light last night on way home.

I gave the motor area of the drivers window a good thump but of course that would only work for the one window and this was more systemic, so as I was moving normally I just tried turning off and on the ignition briefly. It did the trick for both windows and aircon so at least I know where there's one suspect connection......but normally no prob.

We managed to get the Vitara up on the lift yesterday to check the earth strap from block to body to make sure this clutch cable "Short" thing doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately only had a few minutes anyway couldn't find it.

Any expert searcher out there could find it online?

Does it normally connect to a starter motor bolt? (I only learned that possibility AFTER leaving the garage)

(The mechanic if I understood right seemed to think there would only be an earth connection to the the battery? Have things changed from the days I remember a braided earth strap under a car)

Luckily the car and clutch are running fine, but like to check this out and stop future problems.

The braided strap you have seen in the past isn't used much these days. Instead the battery will have at least 2 earth cables coming from it, a thick one going directly to the starter casing and a thin one to the car body. ( think this was mentioned by someone earlier). If it can be established that the thicker one going to the engine is all ok, I would, as transam says, add an additional engine - chassis strap, it's a low-cost item. It shouldn't be needed but, in this case, definitely worth a try.

When you do find the earth cable connected to the engine, (follow it from the battery) give it a good waggle to ensure it is not frayed or breaking away where the cable is connected to the eye that goes on a bolt. Also, make sure the bolt it is connected to is tight.

We like pics!

7 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

The braided strap you have seen in the past isn't used much these days. Instead the battery will have at least 2 earth cables coming from it, a thick one going directly to the starter casing and a thin one to the car body. ( think this was mentioned by someone earlier). If it can be established that the thicker one going to the engine is all ok, I would, as transam says, add an additional engine - chassis strap, it's a low-cost item. It shouldn't be needed but, in this case, definitely worth a try.

When you do find the earth cable connected to the engine, (follow it from the battery) give it a good waggle to ensure it is not frayed or breaking away where the cable is connected to the eye that goes on a bolt. Also, make sure the bolt it is connected to is tight.

We like pics!

Duly noted and brain updated.

Having gradually owned the whole Morris Minor range I guess it might need updating.

• 11 months later...
Read the interesting update post in the email notification then came here to find......................nothing.

Sorry LL I changed it to the thread

Vitara .....THIRD water leak....all different

https://forum.thaivisa.com/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/1095228-Vitara-%2E%2E%2E%2E%2ETHIRD-water-leak%2E%2E%2E%2Eall-different

Build up is post 48

And reply to u in 49......still not sure of the cause of damage to the clutch cable but of course it may have been too long like the Caribbean one which replaced it (now replaced again with the proper one) and leaned against a hot part of the engine

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived