Motorcycles to face up to 200 baht "pollution tax"

webfact

Motorcycles to face up to 200 baht "pollution tax"

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

In a move that would anger motorcyclists the excise department are mulling an idea to charge a special pollution tax hike on bikes.

Thai Rath said that if the measures were introduced riders could me made to shell out up to 200 baht each.

Excise chief Krisada Jeenawijarana said that cars had been subjected to such tax before and it was a question of protecting the environment and general public.

But the time had to be right before such an initiative was introduced. He said that all bikes over 50,000 baht in value might be subject to the new tax of 150-200 baht per vehicle.

The message must be if you damage the environment there is a cost to pay, said Krisada.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-27

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable. So now the police will stop them and the motorcyclist will bribe him 50 baht for not having paid the 200 baht. Wealth creation for the traffic police in full swing. You can introduce as many frigging rules/laws as you want, but without enforcement there really is no point. They might say that you can't get insurance without paying the new tax. So what? Most don't have insurance anyway. If it happens though, then why not a 10,000 baht fine for buses and trucks? They're the biggest polluters, by far.

1 minute ago, akirasan said:

Well I'll just drive my diesel pickup everywhere instead. 

If anything should be taxed higher or ex pulsed from BKK its diesel pickups especially those that belch out black smoke. Now they might put a tax on 2 stroke bikes (good plan) but the normal standard scooter does not come close to polluting what cars do and cars don't come close to polluting what those diesel pickups do. 

Not that I would lose any sleep over a 200bt tax.

How does paying a tax clean up.the environment though. I would have thought those 2 stroke stinkers ridden around by dirt poor folk would need taxing before a bike over 50k baht which is probably newer, runs cleaner and is more efficient would.

I wonder what initiatives this tax would help to fund rather than some unscrupulous officials' unearned opulent retirement plans

18 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

another stupid idea cooked up by brainless idiots, start on those black smoke belching buses of yours that run up and down Sukhumvit road.

They even can't buy new buses when there's a huge budget for them.

I read somewhere that BKK will get 100 new buses in March...still haven't seen them though.

Of course the burning of ricefields has nothing to do with air pollution.

11 minutes ago, peperobi said:

"The message must be if you damage the environment there is a cost to pay, said Krisada." What tax has to pay all those peoples that burning down the forests and fields year by year?

Has he told the Indonesian PM yet, hang on , Allah  will sort that out eh?

5 hours ago, Thian said:

But having a smoking bbq in a very busy street is no ploblem...

And loads of 40 years old citybuses and cargotrucks also don't pollute of course.

I went to Vientiane, not one smoking bike, most looked New, smoking bikes all over Thailand

23 minutes ago, Nice Boyd said:

I went to Vientiane, not one smoking bike, most looked New, smoking bikes all over Thailand

Yes that 200 baht law makes no sense, they will all pay it and still drive the same old motobike.

They should let 2stroke motobikes pay 800 baht a year, new clean ones for free.

And especially motocy taxi's all should have a new model clean bike.

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

...So now the police will stop them and the motorcyclist will bribe him 50 baht for not having paid the 200 baht...

No, this is not how the payment of excise tax is enforced.

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

No, this is not how the payment of excise tax is enforced.

I know. But it's what the motorcyclists will do if they haven't paid it. In most cases, not all.

Another scam we need a election and a PM that will reform police. Close down there operation of private Pty Ltd and rebuild as a government operation..

Remove unroadworthy vehicles no stupid scam tax. Also remove the buses send China home. At the moment the regime is destroying Thailand to earn big money for the pension house club.

This is another saving face deflection...failing to warn the public on the extreme dangers of thailands filthy air..they now choose a soft target like scooters and throw us under the bus..

Archived