Israeli Embassy Outreach to Educate Thai Students about Holocaust

snoop1130

Israeli Embassy Outreach to Educate Thai Students about Holocaust

by CityNews

29634676_10155288377412551_1492107251_o-225x300.jpg

CityNews – Yuval Waks, Deputy Chief of Mission, Political & Public Affairs, Embassy of Israel Bangkok, visited Chiang Mai and Payap Universities earlier this month as part of the embassy’s campaign to educate and raise awareness about the holocaust and anti-Semitism amongst Thai students.

“We regularly visit universities around Thailand, mostly to do movie screenings, as often this subject is completely foreign to Thai students as its not taught in school here, so the movie, we have found, is a great medium to communicate such a grave subject,” said Waks.

“In Cambodia people can relate to our history a lot more because they have been through it, but Thai students don’t know much about the European part of the Second World War,” Waks explained. “I am not surprised, as if you ask Israeli students about the Cambodian genocide, they don’t know much about it either.”

“Today we showed Life is Beautiful, an Italian comedy-drama about a Jewish Italian book shop owner, who uses his imagination to shield his son from the horrors of a Nazi concentration camp. We have also shown Schindler’s List, The Pianist and other movies in the past and will continue to do so.”

Waks talked about the role of the embassy, explaining that it is very active in sending influential Thai people to Israel to join various courses and seminars, collaborating in numerous areas on matters ranging from Israel’s long famous agricultural innovation and leadership to its more modern phenomenon of start-up success.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/israeli-embassy-outreach-educate-thai-students-holocaust/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-3-26

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds like a worthy effort, but just as basic education about the genocide in Cambodia is part of a BASIC historical literacy in the west so should teaching about the European holocaust be in Thailand. It's a shame they have to do basic remedial work that should be covered by the Thai educational system. But better than nothing I suppose. 

13 minutes ago, keith101 said:

It was a terrible thing but going on 75 years after the fact i really don't think it needs any special education to be taught in Thai schools .

Not special. BASIC. 

Education about history has room for improvement in all nations.

I'm sure my USA education about Asia was less than ideal, but I was taught basic things such as the history of China, going back much much longer than 75 years. More like THOUSANDS of years.

I'll freely concede the history of THAILAND was hardly mentioned (neither was Costa Rica), but basic information about the history of WORLD WAR 2 should be in all nation's educational programs and you can't talk about that war without some basic information about the holocaust.

I find your dismissal of teaching about the holocaust in a HISTORY curriculum to be dangerously idiotic. HISTORY? You know what that means, yeah?

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

It was a terrible thing but going on 75 years after the fact i really don't think it needs any special education to be taught in Thai schools .

Genocides should never be forgotten, there is nothing wrong with the fact that people are taught about these past events, it shows that military suppremacy isn' t always a good thing.

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

Most importantly it should help them to understand how a generation was (and could be) brainwashed and tyrannised, by a militaristic dictatorship, into perpetrating such horrors on its own citizens, while goosestepping to its own destruction (and the ruin of its country) on a wave of xenophobic, ethnophobic, inward/backward focused Nationalism.

15 hours ago, keith101 said:

When you do it, do not forget to inform what happens today with Israel, Palestina and ...

Do they tell also about their policy in Gaza and occupying territories which do not belong to them ?

Thai students with an understanding of history would not parade around in banned Hugo boss uniforms and eat Hitler Chicken to be a laughing stalk ridiculed by the entire educated world.

Before the Israelis explain their “policies” to students first they should ask is “What would Thailand Army do if terrorist militants on the Thai border hurled thousands of rockets into Thai villages?”

Then they should tell them the hard truth that there is one tiny little country in the world where a Jew can be a Jew without apologizing. The Muslims have the entire Eurasian earth island from North Africa to the tip of Indonesia all for themselves. No it is Not %100 fair to everyone. Almost every country in the world sits on territory taken from somebody. And finally explain the day the enemies of Israel stop terror an guarantee Israel’s security “Palestinians” will get all the peace security and autonomy they would ever want.

Do they tell also about their policy in Gaza and occupying territories which do not belong to them ?
While I realize your off topic post is a heckle it is a fair question. Of course Thai students should be taught about the history of the Israel / Palestinian conflict up to the current day. It's not realistic to expect Israeli government representatives to present an objective balanced description of that. Both sides have their own narratives about that and both sides should be taught.

Cheers.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No doubt the holocaust is horrible and everyone should know it. But it is by no means the most deaths caused by a single ruler. I'm guessing most folks don't know about China's great famine under Mao's policies which killed according to government statistics 15 million, but independent research has show more than 40 million has died. Yes, these are two different things as under the Holocaust people were killed by terrible ways, but just pointing it out. 

But the fact that many Thais don't even know their history is sad too.

17 minutes ago, mike324 said:

No doubt the holocaust is horrible and everyone should know it. But it is by no means the most deaths caused by a single ruler. I'm guessing most folks don't know about China's great famine under Mao's policies which killed according to government statistics 15 million, but independent research has show more than 40 million has died. Yes, these are two different things as under the Holocaust people were killed by terrible ways, but just pointing it out. 

But the fact that many Thais don't even know their history is sad too.

I couldn't agree more. 

Except I wouldn't say that the deaths caused by Mao weren't horrible.

The holocaust was historically significant because the Nazis used modern INDUSTRIALIZED methods to commit genocide.

But they also did lots of more old fashioned mass murders which included starvation and just shooting people in the head. 

Teach more history here including objective Thai history.

Good luck with that!

I will add that the fact that China still glorifies Mao and Russia again glorifies Stalin to a lesser degree is pretty disturbing. So credit to the Germans for quite aggressively not trying to rehabilitate the memory of Hitler. 

I've heard this B.S. attack so many times that the people promoting education about the Nazi led holocaust not wanting to teach about other horrific events in history so many times. It is simply NOT TRUE. 

Check the website of the U.S. holocaust museum. A large part of their agenda is about calling attention to current genocides globally. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

While I realize your off topic post is a heckle it is a fair question. Of course Thai students should be taught about the history of the Israel / Palestinian conflict up to the current day. It's not realistic to expect Israeli government representatives to present an objective balanced description of that. Both sides have their own narratives about that and both sides should be taught.

Cheers.

Including why the flotilla of boats carrying humanitarian aid was treated with such hostility

3 minutes ago, midas said:

Including why the flotilla of boats carrying humanitarian aid was treated with such hostility

Piling it on, huh?

You're getting into details now.

I just said I think it's a good idea to expose Thai students to both narratives about the history of the Israel / Palestinian crisis.

Not to invite nitpicking about details.

It can't be expected that lower grade students in Thailand are going to spend a week on the subject.

I'm just talking about basic historical literacy.

Why teach them about European wars and anti Semitism?  

Are they going to teach the students in Palestine, Israel and Europe about Thai wars and history?  

Are they going to teach them about all the gypsies, gays, disabled people that were killed too?  

This was a disgusting thing that happened, but now its over... and time to stop raking up the past and causing more ill feeling.... stop poking at the wound and better work to live together no matter what religion or people we are.  

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Why teach them about European wars and anti Semitism?  

Are they going to teach the students in Palestine, Israel and Europe about Thai wars and history?  

Are they going to teach them about all the gypsies, gays, disabled people that were killed too?  

This was a disgusting thing that happened, but now its over... and time to stop raking up the past and causing more ill feeling.... stop poking at the wound and better work to live together no matter what religion or people we are.  

Sounds good to me to teach all of those things.

The trope that holocaust education excludes information about other targets other than Jews is a big, big LIE.

Again, visit the holocaust museum of Washington D.C. website.

If you're trying to push an agenda that holocaust education shouldn't exist, nice try, no <deleted>' way. It is needed. 

You bring up a bigger issue than history of Thailand though. My feeling is that basic historical literacy about the entire world should be taught all over the world. So how is information about Thailand weighed against information about  France? Difficult as there is only limited time in such classes. 

1938. In a foregone conclusion, Hitler promised to put “criminal Jews” on luxury ships to any country who would take them.

Maybe if Eleanor Roosevelt had been president the holocaust could have been avoided. Her husband and the US State department looked at Jewish refugees with suspicion and strictly limited taking them, even children. Read the book “Voyage of the Damned”.

Anti-semitism. This horrible ancient hatred that for some reason won’t go away. Disgusting.

Will they also be pushing for Thais to get educated in the following.......

14 million people killed by Stalin

Genocide death upwards of 80 million individuals in the USSR

European crimes against natives... native Americans, native Asians, Africans... far more than the Holocaust.

Mao Zedong killed 45 million people in just 4 years.

Why are the Jews a special case from all these other people?  

Will they also be pushing for Thais to get educated in the following.......

14 million people killed by Stalin
Genocide death upwards of 80 million individuals in the USSR
European crimes against natives... native Americans, native Asians, Africans... far more than the Holocaust.
Mao Zedong killed 45 million people in just 4 years.

Why are the Jews a special case from all these other people?  

This basic question has already been addressed in previous posts so no need to repeat but your obvious hostility towards Jews is your problem that it might be best to keep to yourself in polite company.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This basic question has already been addressed in previous posts so no need to repeat but your obvious hostility towards Jews is your problem that it might be best to keep to yourself in polite company.

That basic question is often raised but no convincing answer is ever given.

Accusations of anti-somethingism are usually part of the response to this legitimate inquiry.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No I have no hostility against Jews.  You are wrong in your assumption, and you make out that anybody that does not agree with this education in Thailand about the Jews killed in the war must have be have a problem with Jewish people.

That is far from the truth and insulting to me that you say that.

Because you have ignored the other examples of mass genocide and human deaths that I posted... should say you are supporting them?  

It is not right to single out the Jewish deaths only, and why do their deaths get priority and special treatment above all other nationalities and races of people?  

I would have nothing against teaching this history of the Holocaust in Thai schools so long as the other crimes against other races, nationalities and religions are also taught along side it.  

Just stop the lying. It's so annoying. I've already expressed a total openness and support to teaching about the history of the entire world.

NOBODY EVER has said just teach about the holocaust, and within that ONLY teach about the Jewish experience in the holocaust and nothing else. That is crazy! What more do people obsessing over Jews getting "special treatment" need to hear? It's weird. Such people clearly have a bug up their arse. 

You're obnoxiously appointing opinions to me that I do not have and have made very clear that I do not have!

Where does that weirdness come from -- people that won't even listen and then spout garbage? 

Archived