World Cup Coverage in Thailand?

jacketh

I feel like this is a bit of a stupid question, but I'm going for it anyway. I'm planning on coming to Thailand, initially in June, solo (backpacking), and I can't decide whether to delay it until July and after the World Cup simply because I'm a football fan - and stay at home and watch it with friends & family.

With the games being in Russia, I notice a lot of the games will be on at awkward times - 1/2am Thai time? And I worry a little about not really meeting anyone who wants to watch games lol. I know bars tend to close pretty early in Bangkok/Chiang Mai?

Does the World Cup get much attention out in Thailand? What's the atmosphere like in bars etc if you can remember it?

You could try accessing Russia Today on yr laptop (if you have one).  I believe they will be showing the majority of games.  It might also be an education to watch RT and become aware of how much propaganda and hysteria are churned out from the US of A about all things "Russian".  

It's on in the low season for Thailand, so bars may not be staying open that late (midnight on).  (Though there are sure to be daytime games in Russia that would allow you to see a game in the Thai evening.)  

The research i did shows that all the major games air to be air on standard Thai TV plus Truevision :-

2018: Channel 3 HD, Channel 5 HD, Channel 7 HD, Channel 9 MCOT HD, Channel 11 HD, Thai PBS HD, True Sport HD (all matches in live telecast)

For me, i found that all the English games can be watched on the main Thai channels (free).

As for you, its anyone's guess as to whether the army or the police will let bars stay open after hours to air the games. Me thinks nearer the date they will let you know and not before for sure.

6 hours ago, blazes said:

You could try accessing Russia Today on yr laptop (if you have one).  I believe they will be showing the majority of games.  It might also be an education to watch RT and become aware of how much propaganda and hysteria are churned out from the US of A about all things "Russian".  

It's on in the low season for Thailand, so bars may not be staying open that late (midnight on).  (Though there are sure to be daytime games in Russia that would allow you to see a game in the Thai evening.)  

Do you know who owns/controls RT ?

Get you propaganda education direct from the Kremlin .....hahaha !

Always a last minute decision, but it will be on as Thais love football.

The time is the problem (as you say), and I don't see bars being able to stay open that late. However many games will be on Thai TV in hostels, hotels, etc but getting a beer could be a problem and enjoying games with others is unlikely.

I am thinking of a holiday in the west... Two weeks in Poland?

:post-4641-1156694572:

You don't say where you are from and if you are supporting any particular country, but if you have a laptop then you can watch all the England matches on http://www.teatimetv.to/. This free site appears to have all the UK Freeview channels and all England matches are on BBC or ITV. There is also the ability to watch the 'overnight' matches with catch-up.

If you're backpacking though I guess you won't be hauling a laptop around with you :(

As for watching other countries, I don't know. But as others have said at least some of the matches will be shown on all the free Thai channels. Not sure about getting English commentary though.

Hopefully @wilai will be posting on the Football/Soccer forum in due course details of which WC games can be watched on which channels, as part of the invaluable and well-appreciated service he provides to us all in that regard! :smile:

17 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Hopefully @wilai will be posting on the Football/Soccer forum in due course details of which WC games can be watched on which channels, as part of the invaluable and well-appreciated service he provides to us all in that regard! :smile:

Will do. Normally do it 1st thing on the day but if I can, I'll put them up earlier during the World Cup. Sometimes the local channels are 'late' with their scheduling. Hopefully not the case with the WC.

As for timings, the earliest group game is 17:00 Thai time and the latest is 02:00. There are a number of different K/O times in between. The attached link is UK time so add 6 hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/schedule/group-stage

CAN SOMEBODY MOVE THIS TO THE FOOTBALL/SOCCER FORUM

Rather than shouting about it, the best way to bring this to a moderator's attention would be to use the Report button and report it, then a moderator will be aware of the need to act upon it. 

Moving to the Football/Soccer forum. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

You don't say where you are from and if you are supporting any particular country, but if you have a laptop then you can watch all the England matches on http://www.teatimetv.to/. This free site appears to have all the UK Freeview channels and all England matches are on BBC or ITV. There is also the ability to watch the 'overnight' matches with catch-up.

If you're backpacking though I guess you won't be hauling a laptop around with you :(

As for watching other countries, I don't know. But as others have said at least some of the matches will be shown on all the free Thai channels. Not sure about getting English commentary though.

the last team I would want to watch.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

A list of the free Thai channels showing the games here: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30347651

All three channels have English commentary on the true tv box with free/basic package.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Have to say that the coverage has been brilliant on Truevisions - English commentaries, several channels showing the games, reruns...best coverage in Thailand ever.

Yes, I agree. Compare to Australian international channel. Bad reception.  Low resolution.  Too many interruptions from signals.  Australia is a third world country when it comes to media. 

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Have to say that the coverage has been brilliant on Truevisions - English commentaries, several channels showing the games, reruns...best coverage in Thailand ever.

Maybe so, but that's after having been extorted by them!

I'd rather watch the WC on the Thai terrestrial channels in HD for free. ?

I discontinued Truevisions 6 years ago would never pay those 

crazy fees again when everything is available through a good 

broadband connection for free nowadays.

Now the riff raff have been eliminated it's time to put your tips in. I think Russia have a good chance due to home advantage of climate and crowd support. Otherwise France as an outsider and of course that team that Messi boy plays for.

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^I like to know when City are playing i can just stick on Truevisions' BEin channel and watch it; no panicking searching for a free stream or using HDPrime etc. I also get to watch lots of repeats of Robson Green fishing ?

You need to keep up with the times BB, Satellite tv is old school.

And what happens when it's raining or thick cloud cover, you lose your signal.

There's no panicking searching for streams, all you need to know 

is which channels are showing your team's match by looking on various websites, then you click on those channels and watch,

it's that easy.

You also get a choice of several channels to pick from, unlike yourself who is dedicated to BeIn only via Truevisions.

I watch most of the EPL games on Sky or BT then there's also BeIn,

TSN, NBCSN who are the US & Canadian broadcasters.

4 hours ago, sotsira said:

is which channels are showing your team's match by looking on various websites, then you click on those channels and watch,

it's that easy.

You also get a choice of several channels to pick from, unlike yourself who is dedicated to BeIn only via Truevisions.

I use both methods. There is no question that True/BeIN has a better quality picture and I don't mind paying for the basic + footy package. The chance of losing transmission because of rain during a match is slim, although I did lose 30 minutes including half-time from the last World Cup final. I also use HDPrime for the pre-match and post-match chat, and also have TeaTime and FirstOne.

Talking of TeaTime, they have upgraded their site which I discovered when I tried to access it and was told I needed to update my browser. They also say you need to pay 600 a month but it is still free (!!) as I have watched both an hour of BBC 1 and caught up with the England -Belgium match the next morning. It showed a buffering time of 11 or 12 minutes and gave perfect playback, unlike HDPrime which sometimes freezes and I have to change servers.

So yes, you can pay zero, but True/BeIN has superior quality for a low price.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So yes, you can pay zero, but True/BeIN has superior quality for a low price.

Did you say a low price ?

My understanding is Truevisions requires the Platinum package 

to cover all the sport channels and they charge approx 2200bt a month.

Unless they've reformed  their package prices recently, I would 

call that extortion considering the rest of their channels are repetitive cr#p.  

13 hours ago, stud858 said:

Now the riff raff have been eliminated it's time to put your tips in. I think Russia have a good chance due to home advantage of climate and crowd support. Otherwise France as an outsider and of course that team that Messi boy plays for.

If I were a betting man I'd stick my money on Belgium.

With the players they have at their disposal they're a solid

team throughout.

1 hour ago, sotsira said:

Did you say a low price ?

My understanding is Truevisions requires the Platinum package 

to cover all the sport channels and they charge approx 2200bt a month.

Unless they've reformed  their package prices recently, I would 

call that extortion considering the rest of their channels are repetitive cr#p.  

We are talking football here, and that is available as I have described above. You can even get the BeIN channels via the internet at https://connect-th.beinsports.com/en/subscribe for next to nothing. Pretty amazing that you don't need True's expensive packages. I guess they've gone for a mass audience rather than making it a premium package to appeal to their advertisers. That's only a guess, but I can't see any other reason.

10 hours ago, sotsira said:

it's that easy.

We used to have Truevisions via satellite and lose signal during rain storms but now have Truevisions via cable/wifi and works perfectly.

I used HDPrime when working in Vietnam and that worked fine.

For the odd City game not being televised in the UK or on BEin i use, with mixed success, free streams.

Does that make me 'down with the kids'? ?

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Does that make me 'down with the kids'? ?

Well considering everything is available for free these days,

I'll let you decide on the basis of how much your having to pay 

every month to TrueVisions.

Archived