High speed rail: Pattaya to Bangkok in well under an hour - around 300 baht!

webfact

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mike324 said:

Seems like most folks have never taken the high speed train. Like you said, high speed trains also divide routes - ones that makes all the stops, or ones that don't stop or only make one stop. The times are achievable.

"ones that don't stop or only make one stop"

There is already a high speed, non-stop link between UTP and BKK or DMK (which are airports).

It's called the......aeroplane.

Which is much faster and is genuinely "point to point"

The distance between BKK and DMK is too short for HS to be relevant.

Thus the HS aspect of that "selling point" is redundant.

It's all a sham designed to maximise expenditure and the proportionate size of backhanders.

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"ones that don't stop or only make one stop"

There is already a high speed, non-stop link between UTP and BKK or DMK (which are airports).

It's called the......aeroplane.

Which is much faster and is genuinely "point to point"

Thus the HS aspect is redundant.

It's all a sham designed to maximise expenditure and the proportionate size of backhanders.

Wow, 3,200 posts??

NO, there are no direct flight from UTP to those airports.

Any others have a stop and take 3 1/2 hours minimum.........

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Speeds will reach 250 km per hour.

This is what worries me the most. After all TIT. 

I think I will wait until it's been running a couple of years without any " incidents".

Some people are worried about flying airplanes and think a major disaster will happen . Instead they should be more worried about what will happen when they land in Bangkok and have to enter this "high speed train" to get to Pattaya. They should also be worried about ladyboys after dark, but that's another story.

If this 300 THB rail link does exist one day, and it,  will despite all the old grouches ranting here:cheesy:......I'll be chuckling to see all the ripoff taxi /private car transport scammers frowning and it will serve them right...they have ripped off enough clients with their crazy transfer rates...

Wow- it took 9 comments for someone to see the positive side of this. A shame people can't be a bit more glass full as opposed to glass empty. At this rate i really can't be bothered reading the next 6 pages of comment.

I see this as a good thing- a shame others don't.

Always wid da Negative Waves, always wid da Negative Waves Geezers. :post-4641-1156693976:

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Wow- it took 9 comments for someone to see the positive side of this. A shame people can't be a bit more glass full as opposed to glass empty. At this rate i really can't be bothered reading the next 6 pages of comment.

Always wid da Negative Waves, always wid da Negative Waves Geezers. :post-4641-1156693976:

I think this is the 4th or 5th time they have announced a HS train link from Rayong to Bangkok in about 2 years. The 1st announcement announced it was going to Hua Hin but they don't mention that anymore. I'd love for it to happen just to have a day out in Bangkok by train but I won't be holding my breath,

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Speeds will reach 250 km per hour.

Don't count on it.

Prayut lowered the top speed of the 670km Thai-Japanese high-speed train project connecting Bangkok to Chiang Mai from 300kph to between 180kph and 200kph in order to reduce the overall cost of the project.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/Thailand-looks-at-slower-bullet-train-to-cut-costs

There's no reason he won't do the same with the Bangkok to U-Tapao run.

34 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Don't count on it.

Prayut lowered the top speed of the 670km Thai-Japanese high-speed train project connecting Bangkok to Chiang Mai from 300kph to between 180kph and 200kph in order to reduce the overall cost of the project.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/Thailand-looks-at-slower-bullet-train-to-cut-costs

There's no reason he won't do the same with the Bangkok to U-Tapao run.

Yes, there's an obvious reason: the Bangkok U-Tapao run is so much shorter that he may feel the higher cost, much less by comparison, would be affordable. 

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Please learn to count. :whistling:

No way you can do 220 km in 45 minutes running at 250 km/h,

and even far worse if you have to stop at 7 stations on the way !

To travel 220 km in 45 minutes, the train has to do 293.333 km/h, including at the point of departure and arrival. In other words, from the word 'go', it must do 293.333 km/h, and arrive at the final stop at the same speed! Imagine, if you're not killed by the G-force during accelration from 0 - 293.333 km/h in zero seconds, you'd be dead when it stops from 293.333 km/h to 0 km/h on the dot, at the last station! And this doesn't take into consideration the seven stops along the way... It has to stop at the seven stops while doing 293.333 km/h. These people don't think before they speak or write anything, do they?

In reality, this train has to do way, way over 300 km/h if it is to meet its 45-min timeline inclusive of seven stops and the time it takes to accelerate and decelerate without crushing passengers' skulls or collapsing their lungs with the G-forces.

1 minute ago, outsider said:

And this doesn't take into consideration the seven stops along the way... It has to stop at the seven stops while doing 293.333 km/h.

They gonna paint it red, then enter and exit same way they do on the red buses, no need to stop

8 minutes ago, outsider said:

To travel 220 km in 45 minutes, the train has to do 293.333 km/h, including at the point of departure and arrival. In other words, from the word 'go', it must do 293.333 km/h, and arrive at the final stop at the same speed! Imagine, if you're not killed by the G-force during accelration from 0 - 293.333 km/h in zero seconds, you'd be dead when it stops from 293.333 km/h to 0 km/h on the dot, at the last station! And this doesn't take into consideration the seven stops along the way... It has to stop at the seven stops while doing 293.333 km/h. These people don't think before they speak or write anything, do they?

In reality, this train has to do way, way over 300 km/h if it is to meet its 45-min timeline inclusive of seven stops and the time it takes to accelerate and decelerate without crushing passengers' skulls or collapsing their lungs with the G-forces.

Sage advice.

I am sure that the bulk of the costs will come from foreign investors. Big delegations from Japan and Russia have already visited specifically for gaining investment for the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC). Others will surely follow. The rail scheme is a loss leader for the huge investments and spending that the EEC will bring.

That is the theory, I believe.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Hi speed trains have to be elevated precisely so they don't collide with vehicles. The devastation would extend far from the accident site.

As they are apparently connecting to U Tapao this might have a chance of being useful. The plan should include opening U Tapao as a full service international airport to take the pressure off Swampy.

It'll also help move the "hoped for" crowds of rich people going to the Riviera of SEA ( Pattaya ).

Of course, it'll take more than one journey each day to be viable.

There was a public hearing years ago in the place I lived. Vendors and people of the opposite side wore the same T-shirts to protest. They didn't want an elevated bridge for trains as they needed to sell their goods. They said no one would buy anything if trains ran on the elevated bridge. The main idea was not to let the high speed train project become true if it was done by the party they don't support.

59 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yep, the moment a new construction is even proposed many of our members fall victim to TVF Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS) with its 5 stages:

1. Puzzlement
  2. Disbelief; "no need"
  3. Derision; doom prediction
  4. Hate (disappointment)
  5. Acceptance.

We saw exactly the same plague when the Tunnel was announced and under construction--to cite one recent prominent example.

Various members are already in the first three stages of the disease. Most, according to degree of bigotry, have now moved rapidly into Stage 3, so the thread is degenerating into the usual silly bash fest. The line will have to built or the plan abandoned before further progress or regression can be expected. Have the cartoons started yet?

If built, then we'll need another roll call and laugh to see who survived the subsequent depression and embarrassment. Most will pretend they don't remember. Some will disappear, having lost the will to live. Some, perpetually sufffering in Stage 3 of the disease, will live on hope of finally hearing news of a derailment--it must happen someday. They'll wait. And wait.

8 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Please learn to count. :whistling:

No way you can do 220 km in 45 minutes running at 250 km/h,

and even far worse if you have to stop at 7 stations on the way !

The original article is slightly misleading as it describes the line in terms of being an airports link from DMK to BKK and UTP, with other stops between. This would be a journey of around 240km (following the route on the map).

However, the journey time quoted, of 45 minutes, is from UTP to "the capital" (not the city centre and not the airports).

If the blue marker on the map is Bangkok boundary the journey to UTP would be around 150km and (AFAIK) achievable within the stated time.

10 hours ago, Xonax said:

Submarines and high-speed trains!!  When will they invest in proper waste and wastewater management, which is long overdue??

Probably never because proper waste management doesn't bring in tourists dollars; so they think. Just the tangible highly visible things that look real spiffy in ads and in brochures. It is definitely needed. I stayed at a four diamond hotel once in BKK and there was a tiny sticker on the bathroom mirror that read 'do not drink the water'

Dream Dream Dream!  by the time it is all said and done and all the skimming off the top you really think fare will be around 300?  even this story indicating 300 baht, by the time one reads the article it has gone up around 30 baht so by the time it is build and running it will be around ???

Archived