The blind leading the blind - local authority don't know what they're doing!

webfact

The blind leading the blind - local authority don't know what they're doing!

4pm.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

A local authority in Bangkok have been roundly criticized for mistakes made in paving the sidewalk designed to help the blind.

But instead of helping the visually impaired they could be sending them to their deaths - or at the very least injury.

Paving stones called "Braille Blocks" have been put in Soi 11 Pahonyothin, in Phayathai district. They are meant to warn the blind when a turning or hazard is coming up.

Instead blocks that tell the blind it is safe to proceed are next to side turnings and others could lead the handicapped straight into power poles.

The incorrect paving was revealed on an online page called "The Sidewalk - the wide world of walkways" that examines issues regarding the handicapped.

Posters called for something to be done urgently before there is an accident, said Manager.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-29

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

17 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just a small irritating correction: "All local, provicial and government agencies and authorities don´t......." and so on.

Biggest problem is that different departments don't communicate and work together. Years ago the UK was the same. But who gives a <deleted> anyway. Mai pen rai. It's all down to fate and luck anyway. Good here isn't it? 5555 

People can't be paving the sidewalks at this time of the year. That contract normally goes out during the wet season when it is almost guaranteed that the paving blocks will subside within three months and need to be replaced again next year (during the wet season of course). One of the great opportunities for a bit of graft in the procurement process.

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

Everything is done " the Thai way " here.

That includes the laying of Braille Blocks

Ignorance is bliss

My wife said "It's the Thai way" about something and I responded with "Yes, that's the problem." She hasn't said it since.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife said "It's the Thai way" about something and I responded with "Yes, that's the problem." She hasn't said it since.

Mine often goes "they're supposed to...", "they're not supposed to..." and I respond with "Is this your first time to Thailand, then?"

Archived