BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thailand to CLOSE one of its most famous beaches and popular tourist attractions

Thailand to CLOSE one of its most famous beaches and popular tourist attractions

MB.jpg

One of Thailand’s most famous beaches and popular tourist attractions is to close, officials confirmed on Wednesday.

Maya Bay, located on Koh Phi Phi Leh, will be closed to all visitors from June in a bid to halt environmental damage caused by the huge number of tourists who visit each day.

Plans to close Maya Bay were first proposed earlier this year, but on Wednesday officials from the Thailand’s National Parks and Wildlife Department confirmed the closure.

Currently around 4,000 tourists visit Maya Bay each day. However, when the beach reopens in September, the number of visitors allowed will be limited to 2,000 per day and boats will not be allowed to anchor at the beach, instead docking on floating piers located off the island.

Many of Thailand’s beaches which are located in national parks close between May and October.

However, Maya Bay, which was made famous for its starring role in the Leonardo Di Caprio movie “The Beach” has always remained open year round.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-29

All those boats in the picture is an enviromental crime in my view!....talk about spoiling it for everyone so the wanna be yuppies can pretend to be upper class......good first move to ban anchoring

4 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

All those boats in the picture is an enviromental crime in my view!....talk about spoiling it for everyone so the wanna be yuppies can pretend to be upper class......good first move to ban anchoring

Fully agree

Well said

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Currently around 4,000 tourists visit Maya Bay each day.

What a great adventure it must be to be part of a swarm of locusts invading an exotic locale.

"Oh, we visited Maya beach. It was magnificent, so peaceful and scenic! The water in the bay was crystal clear once the breeze opened up gaps between the boats for a few seconds. And that fine sand! Yes, we had to dig a little to get through the rubbish we and other people had dropped. But it was there. An unforgettable experience, and the 500 other visitors we constantly bumped into agreed with us. It's so nice to meet like-minded travelers who share the same appreciation for unspoiled nature."  

9 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

What a great adventure it must be to be part of a swarm of locusts invading an exotic locale.

"Oh, we visited Maya beach. It was magnificent, so peaceful and scenic! The water in the bay was crystal clear once the breeze opened up gaps between the boats for a few seconds. And that fine sand! Yes, we had to dig a little to get through the rubbish we and other people had dropped. But it was there. An unforgettable experience, and the 500 other visitors we constantly bumped into agreed with us. It's so nice to meet like-minded travelers who share the same appreciation for unspoiled nature."  

Rather sadly, it shows the poor quality of life these fellow humans have! :shock1:

48 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

But then how will all the vain white women take their instagram selfies?

I fear that the short time it is closed will not be enough time for things to recover. I have concerns that illegal tours will continue and when it reopens there will be a mass of boats rushing to make up the losses from the off season that will ruin any recovery by the environment. 

Maya Bay on Phi Phi Lei Island to be closed from June to September

By Thai PBS

Maya-Bay.jpg

The famous Maya Bay on Phi Phi Island in Krabi province will be closed four months from June to September for nature to recover.

The closure of the world’s famous bay was agreed upon at the meeting of the marine national park consultation committee yesterday.

According to Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat, deputy Dean of Kasetsart University’s Faculty of Fisheries, the meeting agreed to close the bay from June to September.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/maya-bay-phi-phi-lei-island-closed-june-september/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-03-29

43 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

I fear that the short time it is closed will not be enough time for things to recover. I have concerns that illegal tours will continue and when it reopens there will be a mass of boats rushing to make up the losses from the off season that will ruin any recovery by the environment. 

Close it for at least a year, two would be better.

String a line of these across the entrance.

unnamed (1).jpg

1 hour ago, sukhumvitneon said:

But then how will all the vain white women take their instagram selfies?

It's not the white foreign devils crowding the beach, it's the children of the middle kingdom.  

1 minute ago, zydeco said:

It's not the white foreign devils crowding the beach, it's the children of the middle kingdom.  

Is there anything left to eat within a kilometre of where that photo was taken?

Great idea, should of happened years ago, lets hope it continues were ever 

conservation is needed.

Supply and demand factors will come into play here, With the halving of the numbers and directly controlling entry into the bay I'm sure an entry fee will be applied to make up for the shortfall during the closure.

Just saw news report in Melbourne about the closure of Maya beach. The clip showed hordes of Chinese tourists and a sea full of boats. Hence it appears that the proposed closure is getting international headlines. But will it hit the tourist numbers? Time till tell I suppose:shock1: