Frozen Bacon from Makro.

I know you have not supposed to freeze food after it has been defrosted, I love bacon, but no one else in my household does.

Any tips on how to separate slices of bacon from the big frozen pack you buy in Makro? If I defrost it all then most of it is going

to go to waste as it could give you a bad tummy if you freeze it again.

Anyone know just how safe it is to defrost, then separate the slices then freeze again immediately?

what I useully do is let the top half soften up maybe 10-20minutes then with a carving knife cut through the middle,i do the same with the lamb loins I get at makro,but you must have a heavy knife or chopper.

The U. S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) advises:

Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly, according to the USDA.

DO NOT thaw meat at room temperature, such as on the kitchen counter.

Safety will depend on whether the raw product was handled properly before it was frozen, refrozen shortly after it was thawed, cooked to a safe temperature when it is eaten and handled safely if there are any leftovers.

IMHO,  if food is cooked thoroughly it poses no threat. I buy packs of bacon etc. and semi-thaw it out in water, re-pack in smaller portions and re-freeze. Most meat in Thailand arrives at stores frozen. I dread to think how many times it's been handled so I don't, I just buy it if it's what I want! Luckily my stomach is quite strong and I rarely get stomach bugs but I do know of some guys who are paranoid about food quality in Thailand. I was in the fresh food industry most of my life and it wasn't much different in my country of origin.

If it looks ok, smells ok and is cooked thoroughly; to me it's ok.

1 hour ago, Madgee said:

The U. S. Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) advises:

Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly, according to the USDA.

DO NOT thaw meat at room temperature, such as on the kitchen counter.

Safety will depend on whether the raw product was handled properly before it was frozen, refrozen shortly after it was thawed, cooked to a safe temperature when it is eaten and handled safely if there are any leftovers.

IMHO,  if food is cooked thoroughly it poses no threat. I buy packs of bacon etc. and semi-thaw it out in water, re-pack in smaller portions and re-freeze. Most meat in Thailand arrives at stores frozen. I dread to think how many times it's been handled so I don't, I just buy it if it's what I want! Luckily my stomach is quite strong and I rarely get stomach bugs but I do know of some guys who are paranoid about food quality in Thailand. I was in the fresh food industry most of my life and it wasn't much different in my country of origin.

If it looks ok, smells ok and is cooked thoroughly; to me it's ok.

This has been a great help. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Archived