First time to Krabi

mrmicbkktxl

Hi,next week we are driving to Krabi [Ao Nang] for a few days.Is it possible to swim in the ocean this time of year or is it also infested with Jellyfish?

How about Khao Lak or Phuket,is it worth driving there from Krabi?

Any input is welcome

For swimming in the ocean I recommend Khlong Muang, not far from Ao Nang. The sea at Ao Nang beach is polluted. Noppharat Thara beach is better but only comfortable at high tide.

Both Khao Lak and Phuket are very far and the traffic in Phuket is horrible.

I have lived in Ao Nang (the beach area near Krabi) for 5 years and would never swim at Ao Nang beach. Aside from the heavy longboat and speedboat traffic coming into Ao Nang beach (and associated pollution) there are open sewerage drains that drain into the beach. As the previous poster mentioned, Nopporat Thara beach is better but only at high tide.

My recommendation is to take a longboat from Ao Nang to the beach areas at Railay Bay. The journey only takes 15-20 minutes and costs 100-200 Baht. In particular Ao Phranang Cave beach is scenically very beautiful and the ocean/swimming conditions are fine.

Take a look at Koh Lanta Yai, great beaches South of Klong Nin, unpolluted, family resort, so don't expect great nightlife. Very beautiful spot, away from the populated areas on the North West coast, and the current roadworks.

Only abot 2hrs drive from Ao Nang plus a ferry crossing.

I would give Phuket a wide berth.

Forget Phuket, really not worth the 200km drive.

Not yet time for the jellyfish.

Ao Nang is a very pleasant place to stay with enough restaurants and nightlife to keep everyone entertained.

A short drive from the main beach you have Pan beach and long beach.  Nice clean water for swimming, soft sand beaches and virtually empty.

Railey beach is nice for a swim as well but stay within the swimming area as it is very busy with longtail and speedboats 

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Highly recommend you seek out some of Krabi's superb hotsprings. And the Emerald Pool for freshwater bathing.

Nam Tok Nam Ron Pan Yung Hot Spring

บ่อน้ำร้อนน้ำตกน้ำร้อนพานยูง5ac0e0a82eaeb_KlongThom.png.755ccd9a5be3266bf642ccf4473d77fb.png

Hot springs OK, but the Emerald pool? Albeit very attractive at the high point / source, I wouldn't swim in the cesspit lower down, it's green alright, but not because of the name of the source....

• 2 months later...

Archived