Phuket ice truck overturns after brake failure

webfact

Phuket ice truck overturns after brake failure

Eakkapop Thongtub

1522397106_1-org.jpg

The driver of the truck said that the brakes had failed. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The driver of an ice truck and his passenger sustained minor injuries today when their vehicle’s brakes failed while going up a hill in Chalong causing it to roll backwards, overturn and collide with a wall.

Chalong Municipality council member Suppawattakan Kunnaluck was notified of an accident at Soi Sai Nam Yen on Chao Fa West Rd in Moo 6 Chalong from a local resident at about 9:30am today (Mar 30).

Mr Suppawattakan arrived at the scene, a curve on a hill on Soi Sai Nam Yen, to find a six-wheeled ice truck emblazoned with “Happy Cystal Co Ltd” turned over in the middle of the road. Its rear-end had impacted a wall.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ice-truck-overturns-after-brake-failure-66579.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-03-30

It wouldn't surprise me if these companies actually have no idea how many tons of water are in each load when the truck is full.

I've seen one go backwards down a hill and leaving two long black lines from the locked front wheels on Bhudda mountain road near Silverlake outside pattaya.

Sheer weight just dragged it backwards.

29 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It wouldn't surprise me if these companies actually have no idea how many tons of water are in each load when the truck is full.

I've seen one go backwards down a hill and leaving two long black lines from the locked front wheels on Bhudda mountain road near Silverlake outside pattaya.

Sheer weight just dragged it backwards.

It's an Ice Truck.  Usually these are light duty box delivery trucks

6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

It's an Ice Truck.  Usually these are light duty box delivery trucks

I know it's an ice truck. I'm talking about the bulk delivery trucks loaded with the big blocks not the crushed ice delivered in converted pick ups.

Expand the photo and you'll see twin wheels at the back and a big flat bed converted truck nothing light duty about it.

1 m3 of ice weighs 920kg (best part of a ton).

I could easily get 2 tons of ice blocks in my 4 door 1 ton pickup (100% overload).

How much you could overload one of the 7 ton flatbeds ...

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I could easily get 2 tons of ice blocks in my 4 door 1 ton pickup (100% overload).

But, but, it's only ice !!!!!!! and looking at the size of some of the 'box back converted pickups'  you could get the same in ice cube bags. But !!! it's only ice.

1 square meter of water weighs 1 metric ton or 1000 KG... as water expands as ice the weight to volume ratio would go down a bit...but still heavy.
So probably all of them are overloaded.

1 minute ago, johng said:

1 square meter of water weighs 1 metric ton or 1000 KG... as water expands as ice the weight to volume ratio would go down a bit...but still heavy.

I have no doubts on that, but, it's just ice. What has the weight got to do with it in Thailand?????

15 hours ago, PJPom said:

Oh look, something new, brake failure while going uphill....amazing Thailand!!!

"....he tried to change gear but failed. He tried to stop the truck to change a gear but the brakes did not work which caused the truck to go backwards...."
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ice-truck-overturns-after-brake-failure-66579.php#eKXrOFTRjUACMCJm.99

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I'm not an expert, but it appears to be the current model and the underside (conveniently displayed) seems to be very clean and new.

I don't buy the brake failure defense here.

Front wheels locked, weight of the load dragging them down the hill. Might feel like no brakes being on. Facing uphill with a good few tons at the back might mean not much weight on the front axle.

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Gestimate probably on the low side,

4 of them by length and lets say 5 over the width in two layers with the usual sacking to keep the from sticking together.

Thick end of 40 tons.

Even if only 3 length 4 over the width and two layers it's still 24+ tons.

????

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Gestimate probably on the low side,

4 of them by length and lets say 5 over the width in two layers with the usual sacking to keep the from sticking together.

Thick end of 40 tons.

Even if only 3 length 4 over the width and two layers it's still 24+ tons.

????

Time for reality check?

10 wheeler water trucks with much larger engines carry 6-10 tons of water. 

That truck in the picture would probably crush under the weight of 24 tons. It would not be able to climb even a small hill with that kind of weight on.

20 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Time for reality check?

That truck in the picture would probably crush under the weight of 24 tons. It would not be able to climb even a small hill with that kind of weight on.

Yep, exactly what happened to it.

You are probably argueing the point based on EU standards for loading of vehicles.

Stand outside the loading bay for ice in the EU and you'll see each block being registered for weight prior to going on the truck.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Time for reality check?

Around my way I often see trucks like this one with twenty plus ice blocks on the back. 

Most likely 500 kg blocks. As many blocks as needed to do all the deliveries in one run instead of 3 runs and 3 on/off loadings. Sometimes the tailboard fixed down to extend the load area and sides built up to increase load height.

This is the sort of thing I'm referring to in my posts. ?

images (19).jpeg

unnamed (3).jpg

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Around my way I often see trucks like this one with twenty plus ice blocks on the back. 

Most likely 500 kg blocks. As many blocks as needed to do all the deliveries in one run instead of 3 runs and 3 on/off loadings. Sometimes the tailboard fixed down to extend the load area and sides built up to increase load height

unnamed (3).jpg

There is something like (7 * 4 * 3) = 84 bags in that photo. Possible only (7 * 3 * 3) = 63 bags.

If those bags weight 10kg / bag, that means the whole lot is either 840kg or 630 kg.

For 15 kg / bag = 1260kg / 945 kg.

I have never seen 500kg blocks of ice. Those would be very difficult to move and handle. The normal blocks, which are supplied by the ice factories are probably 100 kg or less each. Perhaps even 50 kg.

9 minutes ago, oilinki said:

There is something like (7 * 4 * 3) = 84 bags in that photo. Possible only (7 * 3 * 3) = 63 bags.

If those bags weight 10kg / bag, that means the whole lot is either 840kg or 630 kg.

For 15 kg / bag = 1260kg / 945 kg.

I have never seen 500kg blocks of ice. Those would be very difficult to move and handle. The normal blocks, which are supplied by the ice factories are probably 100 kg or less each. Perhaps even 50 kg.

Ice factory about 15 kilo from me does 500 and 1000 kilo blocks. Loaded and unloaded by forklifts and or chainhoist and grabhooks. 

product-250x250.jpeg

images (20).jpeg

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

images (20).jpeg

Those blocks are not 500-1000kg. More than 100kg, but way less than 500-1000kg.

Looks to me that those blocks are either 25cm*25cm*100cm = 0.125m3 * 0.92kg/m3 = 115kg

or perhaps 30*60*120cm3 = 0.216m3 * 0.92kg/m3 = 199kg

22 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Those blocks are not 500-1000kg. More than 100kg, but way less than 500-1000kg.

Looks to me that those blocks are either 25cm*25cm*100cm = 0.125m3 * 0.92kg/m3 = 115kg

or perhaps 30*60*120cm3 = 0.216m3 * 0.92kg/m3 = 199kg

The containers are over 1 metre deep. I've stood next to them. Those large blocks are for industry not for putting in your G&T.  ??

The bigger they are the longer they last in transport and industries do their own crushing to use the ice in quite a few applications.

18 hours ago, johng said:

Wrong! One cubic meter of water weighs one tonne.

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The containers are over 1 metre deep. I've stood next to them. Those large blocks are for industry not for putting in your G&T.  ??

The bigger they are the longer they last in transport and industries do their own crushing to use the ice in quite a few applications.

120cm deep, like in my 2nd example?

Maybe missing the point here??? Driver says truck started to roll backwards when he stopped to change gear!

Poor driving skills which are common here because drivers of manual vehicles don't know how or when to change to a lower gear whilst the vehicle is still moving forward........so they stop, then try it.

And many is the time I've been behind a small truck/utility on Patong Hill which has started to roll backwards (much to my alarm) because they have to try a "hill start" after almost stalling it, which is beyond their capabilities.

Archived