Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

Just now, midas said:

Okay just asking:blink: I don't know because I would never dream of operating a motorbike and particularly in Thailand.

No problem, just thought it was common knowledge.

I like driving motorbikes here (in BKK) as it saves loads of time and its easy to park. I know it has risks, but I got a license and insurance (both health and extra insurance on my bike)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, samsensam said:

so did the guy rent a bike, in the most dangerous country in the world to ride a motorcycle, without checking he was covered by his travel/medical insurance?

hope the guy recovers but ignorance is no defence. it is another example of someone travelling without adequate insurance for the activities they partake in - and then expecting the general public to bail them out.

Are you stupid.......Can you rent a vehicle in any first world country without a license....Yes or No...

If an outlet does then they are responsible for any carnage...

Holiday folk do not speak Thai, they ASSUME the rental place knows the legalities...

46 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I see tourists every day that never ride before and think it's a good idea to learn on the deadliest roads in the world. 

I agree, even back in the 1980's and 90's I would see people renting both small and big bikes without (obviously) any experience of either Bikes or Thai road/driving conditions.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you stupid.......Can you rent a vehicle in any first world country without a license....Yes or No...

Holiday folk do not speak Thai, they ASSUME the rental place knows the legalities...

oh dear my friend, if are unable to express yourself in mature and polite way it's better to say nothing.

i reiterate; ignorance is not a defence wherever you are. and as they say; making assumptions makes an ass out of you and me.

have a nice day :)

1 minute ago, samsensam said:

oh dear my friend, if are unable to express yourself in mature and polite way it's better to say nothing.

i reiterate; ignorance is not a defence wherever you are. and as they say; making assumptions makes an ass out of you and me.

have a nice day :)

Answer my question....

47 minutes ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

eeerrr, yeah, and also if you fly a plane and only have a car licence, that makes the claim void when you crash as well...............

4 minutes ago, Seismic said:

eeerrr, yeah, and also if you fly a plane and only have a car licence, that makes the claim void when you crash as well...............

Is that supposed to be an attempt at humour or something?

As certain insurance company I once insured with,told me on asking "was in insured for a motor cycle " they said yes, but after reading the very fine small print it stated that I must have a license for the country that i am using it in.

This is the whole problem!  For some time now, motorbikes have been rented out on production of a passport only, without any check or enquiry as the ability of the hirer, as to whether he/she can even ride a motorcycle, let alone possess a valid licence!  Samui is no the no. 1 place in the world for motor bike accidents!  Will no-one ever learn?

Its not a sad story.  It's a story about a selfish guy who had no thought about renting a motorbike when he didn't have a licence. 

I wonder if the headline was ' No licence Aussie causes death of young child' people would be so forgiving.

Due to no licence his medical insurance is invalid and now his family are trying to sponge 300k to pay for his stupid and selfish act.

Go fund me is the new scroungers favourite site.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

They must tell the insurance company that his Thai girlfriend was driving, he was just a passager. 

Insurance company is correct not paying if he was driving without a licence but must pay if he was riding in the back. 

But, was his girlfriend driving? Otherwise you are suggesting insurance fraud.

3 minutes ago, Zonka said:

Its not a sad story.  It's a story about a selfish guy who had no thought about renting a motorbike when he didn't have a licence. 

I wonder if the headline was ' No licence Aussie causes death of young child' people would be so forgiving.

Due to no licence his medical insurance is invalid and now his family are trying to sponge 300k to pay for his stupid and selfish act.

You are joking.

3 minutes ago, Zonka said:

You are wrong...The rental shop should have said sorry "NO", if you have no license you not insured and I will have a ploblem if you kill someone...

33 minutes ago, transam said:

Everybody should know you need a license to ride a bike, if you don't know you are too stupid to ride one in the first place.

1 minute ago, transam said:

You are wrong...The rental shop should have said sorry "NO", if you have no license you not insured and I will have a ploblem if you kill someone...

You are absolutely correct that the rental shop should be the first line of defence, and should be held accountable, but we each also need to take responsibility for our own actions and safety. It seems that many people simply do not read their travel insurance documents.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You must be Thai, blame someone else.

If the guy has no M/C licence, he shouldn't be renting a bike.

It's called being responsible and being an adult.

30 minutes ago, transam said:

You are making some big assumptions there.. You might not be able to rent a vehicle of any kind in a lot of countrys, without providing a proper license to drive that vehicle. And yes they should check. But being the renter of that vehicle you know very well if you have a license or not. You may choose to rent it anyway, if the shop dont ask for a license, but that is entirely on you. Your stupidity to rent and drive a vehicle you are not licensed to drive, should not and can not be other peoples fault. About the legality, its up to the specific insurance you have what they cover and a case between you and them. Not the shopowner, although in many countries they would surely get fines for renting out to people without license. I would bet my left nut, you can not find a single insurance company willing to cover anything caused by driving without a license. If you rely on insurance from the shop you are even more stupid, as that most likely will not cover your own medical bills.

1 hour ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

Insurance companies tend to ensure you for a set of risks (normal) and if you are doing something more dangerous you have to add riders at a premium cost to get covered for that.   Basically, they don't insure you for everything - especially activities that are considered reckless and dangerous.  There are separate licenses for different classifications because rightly make the distinction between the skills needed to drive different vehicle classifications.  As such he was not considered qualified nor licensed to drive a motorcycle and thus not in conformance for what he was insured for (likely) -- which is why the insurance company has the legal right not to cover him.  When you buy insurance you have to be aware of everything that you are covered for -- if you don't want to waste your money.

1 hour ago, midas said:

If you do not have a motorbike licence in Australia the insurance company will not pay out plus you would get heavy fines from the police for riding without a licence. Car licences do not cover motorbikes even in Australia

5 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

very sad it happened and not his fault.but once again no travel insurance because he does not have a motorbike license.when will people learn

It is his fault! He rented a bike with no licence!

How do we know he wasnt swerving all over the place at, what was it? Oh yeah 4am in the morning!

That tells a story in itself.

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

Every insurance is void if you don't have proper licence. 

Normal travel insurance does not cover MC driving even if you have licence. 

Only covers if the bike is less than 50cc, check the fine print. 

If you intend to drive a MC in Thailand you actually need an extra insurance for that. 

Only big bikers know this. 

Not correct, depends on the conditions. Quite often motorbike riding will be included, sometimes can be included for a small extra charge. But yes, motorbike license is required by law in Thailand, home car license is not sufficient.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

Aint gonna happen. Too much business lost.

Ask yourself - out of 100 tourists renting a moped/scooter for the day in a tourist hot spot - how many have a m/c license? How many actually have ridden a powered 2 wheeler in their home country? I doubt more than 10 and that's being optimistic.

So the renter loses 90 out of 100 customers - aint gonna happen...

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Insurance companies are always right, and will do anything not to pay.

Clemency is not part of any financial intitute, including banksters and insurance artists.

Insurance companies are also very good at discovering false information, cover-ups etc. 

A charge of fraud is not exactly what this unfortunate young man needs right now.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Can you expand on that...Are you saying an unlicensed guy should be paid out for doing something illegal..?

Empathy -the ability to understand and share the feelings of another, - just a remark on how DE-humanised we have become! Personally I find it quite sad............................

Archived