Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just have to read the fine print in the insurance policy, assuming you have one. My current credit card travel insurance allows me to ride motorcycles under 250cc. Anything above that and I'm not covered. 

I feel sorry for the young man in this story, but anyone coming here should look at the Australian government smarttraveller website, which makes it very clear:

'Check your insurance cover carefully if you intend to ride a motorcycle or jetski, particularly if you're not licensed to ride one in Australia. Jet ski and motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries and demands for compensation, often for thousands of dollars. You can be detained until compensation has been negotiated and paid.' 

Unfortunately, most people on their journeys to and from Thailand would never see this information -- unless they crash a motorcycle. It's not in the interests of anyone selling services (airlines, travel agents, online sites) to tell the punters something that might result in potential customers not spending money or giving up on the trip altogether. 

In fairness, at least one motorcycle rental shop in Chiang Mai says on their website that they reserve the right not to rent motorcycles to people with no prior experience. They say they're not in the business of suicide assistance. Instead they recommend going to the local Honda Safety Training park. You will won't have a licence at the end of that, though, I'm guessing. 

Just read on a W.A. news site that his sister and family first thought it was a hit and run but apparently not the case.

Hope he recovers.

This from his sister just now, 

"Last night when I spoke to Mum they were investigating a hit and run because of the severity of his injuries and someone rang at 4am to call for an ambulance but when they got there, there was noone there so they thought it was suspicious," she said. 

"I have since been told that a lady witnessed it and he misjudged a corner and crashed into a concrete barrier at full pelt with no helmet."

AdRecommendations

8 minutes ago, wombat said:

would i want to live with a spine broken in 4 places....i don't think so.

Me neither, not even thinking about the brain injuries. I've told my wife that I'll never want to hang at machines, time to make that in written form. 

5 minutes ago, sgoodes said:

Just read on a W.A. news site that his sister and family first thought it was a hit and run but apparently not the case.

Hope he recovers.

This from his sister just now, 

"Last night when I spoke to Mum they were investigating a hit and run because of the severity of his injuries and someone rang at 4am to call for an ambulance but when they got there, there was noone there so they thought it was suspicious," she said. 

"I have since been told that a lady witnessed it and he misjudged a corner and crashed into a concrete barrier at full pelt with no helmet."

AdRecommendations

And at that time, people can only assume......

Looking at the other thread: "What's wrong with you foreigners"? makes total sense. 

Every insurance is void if you don't have proper licence. 
Normal travel insurance does not cover MC driving even if you have licence. 
Only covers if the bike is less than 50cc, check the fine print. 
If you intend to drive a MC in Thailand you actually need an extra insurance for that. 
Only big bikers know this. 

Not true. I work for Pacific Cross insurance here in Thailand and as long as you have a valid international
Licence or Thai drivers licence and not drunk your fully covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

And for those who've got absolutely no driving experience. 

Just now, stevymac said:

Not true. I work for Pacific Cross insurance here in Thailand and as long as you have a valid international
Licence or Thai drivers licence and not drunk your fully covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That is only if you take out Pacific Cross Insurance here but most people only travel on their standard travel insurance which most classify motorbike riding as an extra hazard and if you read the fine print it tells you that you are not covered but if you want coverage then you must pay a much higher premium

2 hours ago, daoyai said:

I wonder what % of scooter renters have a valid mc license ?  I guess maybe 10% .... if they refused, big bis loss, also the po po get a nice bonus as they get at least 500 bt. per unlicensed driver at checkpoints.  a win win till ya lose situation.

I wonder what % of Thai motorbike riders have a valid driving license? I regularly see youngsters traveling 3 or 4 up on a motorbike when none of them are anywhere near old enough to have a license.

14 minutes ago, stevymac said:

Valid point. Would be curious to know how much extra the premium would be to add on due to how dangerous roads are here.

Many grey points in most PDS's. You need a valid International or Thai license. You need to be under the cc limit granted by the insurance cover. Must be under the drinking limit and wearing a helmet. Drug testing will be done as well. Most will cover for no extra but the PDS must be read and totally understood.

I am with ACS. They cover but with all the provisions above.

18 minutes ago, stevymac said:

Valid point. Would be curious to know how much extra the premium would be to add on due to how dangerous roads are here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No travel insurance company has higher premiums due to dangerous roads here, or lower premiums in ... due to safer roads there.

22 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That is only if you take out Pacific Cross Insurance here but most people only travel on their standard travel insurance which most classify motorbike riding as an extra hazard and if you read the fine print it tells you that you are not covered but if you want coverage then you must pay a much higher premium

Why do people seem to believe there's one across the board travel insurance wording? There isn't; all companies have their own policies and the terms and conditions vary. Certain policies demand an extra premium for riding a motorcycle, others don't. However you will find that most require the policyholder to hold a valid licence, wear a helmet and will exclude any claim whilst the insured is under the influence of drink and/or drugs.

Another sad situation. From Australia, Travel Insurance covers riding bikes under 200cc overseas as long as you hold a bike licence in Aus. Car licence doesn't cut it.  As in previous comments pay bit extra for  insurance if planning on riding bit bigger bike, make sure you ask for it. Thoughts are with the family

I keep telling my daughter who rides a motorbike to and from work. You are going to die on that motor bike, she wont believe me. even is you are the best of rider and obey all the laws, your will still die, its just a matter of time.

It bad enough to drive a car/pickup here but a motorbike you are asking for it.

No rules of the road, never looks right or left, just straight ahead it goes?

Crazy, just like the guy on his way to renew his visa in Gantenebury, had his leg ripped off.

If you want to loose your life drive a motorbike in Thailand.

1 minute ago, uffe123 said:

I keep telling my daughter who rides a motorbike to and from work. You are going to die on that motor bike, she wont believe me. even is you are the best of rider and obey all the laws, your will still die, its just a matter of time.

It bad enough to drive a car/pickup here but a motorbike you are asking for it.

No rules of the road, never looks right or left, just straight ahead it goes?

Crazy, just like the guy on his way to renew his visa in Gantenebury, had his leg ripped off.

If you want to loose your life drive a motorbike in Thailand.

Spot on.

A most responsible post.

51 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I had a friends colon polyp burst, and it cost him. 380,000 for three days in ICU. Nothing major like this accident.

Yes Bangkok Hospital is extremely expensive.  Charges rates up there with Western countries.  Just because you are in Thailand don't think it is cheap for medical.  It is hideously expensive.  

20 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why? Not important at all.

I think it is. Do some of us what to give someone GoFund Me money if he has a blood level of 1.8 or off his head on meth? I want to quote that he most likely was not but it one of the first thing the police do try to find out when someone has hurt like this.

I like to know first the full circumstances. I have a low tolerance for those that drink/drug and drive due to an incident last year.  Many people give a lot of money to such causes and being given the facts when giving money, is more than fair.

I hope for the family a good resolution to all of this but it looks terribly grim. Always sad to see, but the reality to this is that this is played out over 80 times a day here. I have been to four funerals last year from bike related deaths. Last year, my ex-girlfriends cousin was killed at a set of lights on her bike from a drunk driver and we were all very close. Her longterm boyfriend attempted to hang himself this year from grief and depression.

The road carnage affects everyone.

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

If you intend to drive a MC in Thailand you actually need an extra insurance for that. 

...is not true.

My 'normal'  travel insurance covers motorcycles up to 125 CC.

8 minutes ago, jones8189 said:

Another sad situation. From Australia, Travel Insurance covers riding bikes under 200cc overseas as long as you hold a bike licence in Aus. Car licence doesn't cut it.  As in previous comments pay bit extra for  insurance if planning on riding bit bigger bike, make sure you ask for it. Thoughts are with the family

All Travel Insurance companies have varied policies regarding motorbikes.  200cc may be the case with your policy but others only 150cc, some only 50cc and others outright will not cover you.  One of the only policies I found that cover for big bikes was Insure & Go.  

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Not correct.

Various insurance providers in Australia (e.g. QBE and Allianz) cover motorcycle riding to 200cc if you have a valid Australian (and saying again Australian) motorcycle licence. I've had written confirmations from the said insurers. One needs to check carefully the T&C as it may turn out  that you are not covered if you are a pillion passenger even if you Thai gf has a valid Thai licence. I had a discussion with one insurer telling them that it would be safer if a local with a valid licence drives, who could be much more familiar with the driving conditions, than myself driving to no avail..

In this case I don't see an Australian insurer which is going to pay out when the driver doesn't have a motorcycle licence..

I have just looked a 5 travel insurance policies from Australia to Thailand and all 5 classify jetski and motorbikes as an unacceptable risk and if you participate in these risk taking activities then your insurance policy is null and void. One of them was the health insurance company that I had been a member of for years in Australia. This is what the average traveler does not check on before they participate in these risky activities and there have been that many of these accidents over the last 6 months but nobody cares to check if they are covered or not, it is as if the are Thai nationals and treat everything that happens as fate until they get the medical bills and then it is GoFundMe insurance

3 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

A few years ago an acquaintance of mine rented a bike in Chiang Mai with a library card!!

Archived