Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

3 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Ive been saying this for years as do many others. Wheres the license checks? Ive been riding and competing professionally since 8yrs. You learn to see who can ride and who can not. Atleast 99.999999% can not and i gringe watching these people on the road because you know there is a good chance they could cause or be a victim of a herendous accident. If only the government gave a sht about its appearance!!!!!!  Oh wait they do. Thats why they have fancy watches. Silly me....

Where are the license checks, you ask? In Pattaya, checking foreigners for a license is big business. You'd be lucky to ride a full day without encountering at least one check.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the insurance company have to pay if they issued insurance to HIM, then they accepted his policy, but, then as normal there are many unanswered question to this story, 4 am a motorbike , hired or borrowed , If driving , No crash helmet etc, If hired then it comes with insurance and the question is never asked in claims for licences, it is for 3rd party and medical cover.  Cat scans are not expensive in government hospitals and so call brain surgery is only to relieve pressure and is normal and simple, as is induced coma to allow the swelling on brain to settle. But then as normal off every body rushes to the private hospitals, who spend more time on a calculator than bedside.. Still reading the injuries list it sounds like he was run over and dragged underneath not just hit. So maybe be a pick up or similar, I hope the Police find them and hopefully he has a good chance. Just read the latest, and he seemed to lose control at speed and hit a barrier. Drink drive claims another!

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Not correct.

Various insurance providers in Australia (e.g. QBE and Allianz) cover motorcycle riding to 200cc if you have a valid Australian (and saying again Australian) motorcycle licence. I've had written confirmations from the said insurers. One needs to check carefully the T&C as it may turn out  that you are not covered if you are a pillion passenger even if you Thai gf has a valid Thai licence. I had a discussion with one insurer telling them that it would be safer if a local with a valid licence drives, who could be much more familiar with the driving conditions, than myself driving to no avail..

In this case I don't see an Australian insurer which is going to pay out when the driver doesn't have a motorcycle licence..

Yes that right, I have had several travel policies out of Australia and have always checked that can ride motorbikes, with a license, legally, not off road etc. The main thing is to ask the insurance company direct, not the travel agent selling the insurance as they often have no idea.

I even had an insurance company tell me that they technically cannot say no, as its a legal license for a legal vehicle etc. 

You never here of these "insurance not paying" stories about people who have a license. 

8 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

Of the insurance company have to pay if they issued insurance to HIM, then they accepted his policy, but, then as normal there are many unanswered question to this story, 4 am a motorbike , hired or borrowed , If driving , No crash helmet etc, If hired then it comes with insurance and the question is never asked in claims for licences, it is for 3rd party and medical cover.  Cat scans are not expensive in government hospitals and so call brain surgery is only to relieve pressure and is normal and simple, as is induced coma to allow the swelling on brain to settle. But then as normal off every body rushes to the private hospitals, who spend more time on a calculator than bedside.. Still reading the injuries list it sounds like he was run over and dragged underneath not just hit. So maybe be a pick up or similar, I hope the Police find them and hopefully he has a good chance.

Check some of the earlier posts,

Its been verified by his sister that no other vehicles were involved, he ran into a wall at high speed with no helmet on.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I take it Mum has never been to Thailand before. "The police are brilliant. They couldn't have done more."

Really? Is that what they told her?

My wife once had her iPhone stolen in Bangkok. Took a while for the police to turn up, but once they did I followed them around on my motorbike, chasing the thief (Trough the find my phone feature)

3 offices were involved with in the chase. One on motorbike and two in a car.

Although, we did not catch the thief, I have to give them 5 stars for effort and dedication. They really tried their best and it was a positive experience with the Thai police.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

Although  some of the responsibility is on the rental provider, the renter is ultimately responsible. In Australia,Canada, and the USA automobile insurance policies only insure  drivers who are legally allowed to drive. That means that if they  have no license, the policy does not  indemnify. It follows then, that a travel and health insurance policy will have similar language in respect to motor vehicle  incidents. It is a fact of law that an insurance policy cannot indemnify against intentional illegal acts because it goes against the common good. Knowingly driving without  a valid drivers license is an intentional illegal act. The rental agent doesn't have to tell the renter it is an illegal transaction for it to be an illegal transaction.    

People know that what they are doing is wrong. The fact that they can get away with it doesn't make it ok.  This time, the renter is paying the price of breaking the  law.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is long overdue for motor bike rental companies to be forced to not rent a vehicle out to any one who does not have a valid licence for the country. There are way too many accidents and way too many people thinking they are insured, then finding out that they are not, leaving someone else to foot the bill.

With some of these rental companies they do ask to see a driving licence but cannot read enough English to see if it includes motorcycles.  Therefore if you just have a car licence they assume it covers bikes as well.

3 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

every shop do this, even when you have a licence from your home country to ride a bike the most of the licence are for les than 50 CC, you need to have a licence to ride a big bike. 

4 hours ago, petermik said:

Another sad story,it looks like the young fellow is going to need a miracle to survive.....best wishes :thumbsup:

very sad he may be better off if he dies sorry to say. what will be his quality of life if he pulls through?

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

Although  some of the responsibility is on the rental provider, the renter is ultimately responsible. In Australia,Canada, and the USA automobile insurance policies only insure  drivers who are legally allowed to drive. That means that if they  have no license, the policy does not  indemnify. It follows then, that a travel and health insurance policy will have similar language in respect to motor vehicle  incidents. It is a fact of law that an insurance policy cannot indemnify against intentional illegal acts because it goes against the common good. Knowingly driving without  a valid drivers license is an intentional illegal act. The rental agent doesn't have to tell the renter it is an illegal transaction for it to be an illegal transaction.    

People know that what they are doing is wrong. The fact that they can get away with it doesn't make it ok.  This time, the renter is paying the price of breaking the  law.

Agree,

Even if they become stricter in a license it just means guys will get there Thai GF to rent the bike or one guy with a license rents 3 bikes for his unlicensed mates etc.

I watched some Australian guys telling a bike shop that the MR (heavy vehicle) endorsement was for a motorbike (R). People will always find a way.

this is happening all the time now, it's ridiculous. Maybe the airlines could hand out leaflets to people coming in, i don't know but something needs to be done. this chap has to raise a hell of a lot of money. i hardly even ride our bike here anymore, sometimes to seven or restaurants very close by but never outside on main roads. i used to but had to many close calls and decided i wasn't going to risk it anymore. if i need to go anywhere further i would always take the car. anyway, this guy seems to be in seriously bad shape, i hope he can get through that

I understand why his automobile insurance will not pay as he rented a bike in a foreign country without a bike license.

But health insurance would pay.  No health insurance???? Or has go fund me become the health insurer of choice in 2018?  

Sorry for this young man and hope a miracle happens. IMO too many people are asking those of us that pay health insurance premiums to bail out those that don’t pay for health insurance through go fund me programs. 

3 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

So what if they did, what’s your point?this Thailand, and as for the other post and if you think that the other bloke insurance should pay, again this is Thailand, its up to you to take out travel insurance and abide by their policies ,And this guy didn’t and now he wants everybody else to pay his hospital cost?????? Bull poo no way, some people are just plan brainless and this goes for anyone who thinks they can cut corners and get away with it,looks like common sense is dead in some.

5 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I understand why his automobile insurance will not pay as he rented a bike in a foreign country without a bike license.

But health insurance would pay.  No health insurance???? Or has go fund me become the health insurer of choice in 2018?  

Sorry for this young man and hope a miracle happens. IMO too many people are asking those of us that pay health insurance premiums to bail out those that don’t pay for health insurance through go fund me programs. 

Australian health insurance does not cover you for overseas illness you must take out travel insurance and you must read the terms and conditions plus look at the exemptions that may be listed

4 hours ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

they do here,my Thai license is for auto only. says so. if I want to drive a M/C (not in this life time in thailand) I have to have my license stamped.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Why up to the rental companies???? If your the one visiting another country it’s up to YOUR SELF to make sure you do the things the right way, talk about trying to blame other people for your own mistakes, unreal sheeeesh ???

14 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Australian health insurance does not cover you for overseas illness you must take out travel insurance and you must read the terms and conditions plus look at the exemptions that may be listed

True but this is not an illness. It is trauma caused accident. 

3 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

True but this is not an illness. It is trauma caused accident. 

that does not matter, Australian health insurance will only cover you while you are in Australia if you want to be covered outside of Australia then you must take out a travelers insurance

4 hours ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

Correct

4 hours ago, hansnl said:

Insurance companies are always right, and will do anything not to pay.

Clemency is not part of any financial intitute, including banksters and insurance artists.

In my experience with personal injury insurance as long as you are compliant with the policy the payouts are forthcoming after assessment without any real issue. 

19 minutes ago, captspectre said:

they do here,my Thai license is for auto only. says so. if I want to drive a M/C (not in this life time in thailand) I have to have my license stamped.

Its a separate license in Thailand, not an endorsement

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

If they find him and if he has insurance. 

If they find him and he doesn't have insurance then he will have to pay out of his own pocket. For the rest of his life, if necessary. That's what a policeman taught me many years ago when I was caught riding a motorbike without insurance. I have never forgotten that lesson. 

1 hour ago, uffe123 said:

I keep telling my daughter who rides a motorbike to and from work. You are going to die on that motor bike, she wont believe me. even is you are the best of rider and obey all the laws, your will still die, its just a matter of time.

It bad enough to drive a car/pickup here but a motorbike you are asking for it.

No rules of the road, never looks right or left, just straight ahead it goes?

Crazy, just like the guy on his way to renew his visa in Gantenebury, had his leg ripped off.

If you want to loose your life drive a motorbike in Thailand.

Mum used to say the same thing to me all the time. I survived so I guess I really showed her 555

CEDB2BDF-5F59-4DCC-8B1F-F14A5A273760.jpeg

Not Quite understand this . he had no licence to ride a motorbike . does he have health or travel insurance .or is the company he is with in australia refusing to pay  as lack of licence . seems a bit hard to me . The hit and run who ever it was knows it would cost lots of his/her  money if he had stopped is common here . That early 4.00am i suspect no witnesses . Can only wish him the best But cant see what difference it makes about the licence .Seems this is a way out of paying from who ever he has insurance with . Karma for the hit /run driver will happen .

Archived