Australian man critical after hit and run in Samui, family told no license invalidates insurance

rooster59

44 minutes ago, catman20 said:

very sad he may be better off if he dies sorry to say. what will be his quality of life if he pulls through?

mate i dont agree with you, i am still alive, have a reasonable life, he could have a similar life to me if he pulls through.

Also why do many posters keep spouting on about whoever did this?

His sister has stated he was travelling around a bend and lost control, nobody else involved.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

Insurance companies first priority is to look for something that invalidates the claim. He didn't have a motorcycle license, so this no doubt would be in the conditions of insurance I guess. 

Sympathy to the poor guy, especially since it appears he was not a fault, and just left there to die, if it really was a hit and run.

Ok... read it, that he lost control.. tragedy!!

1 minute ago, Media1 said:

You would have to be the lowest weakest dog. To leave somebody like that.

l wish only the worst on the Thai that did this. l also hope your family suffers bad KARMA.

Read the Thread !!!!!

Its been stated by the guys sister that it was a solo accident, nobody else involved, he hit a wall at high speed with no helmet on.

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Every insurance is void if you don't have proper licence. 

Normal travel insurance does not cover MC driving even if you have licence. 

Only covers if the bike is less than 50cc, check the fine print. 

If you intend to drive a MC in Thailand you actually need an extra insurance for that. 

Only big bikers know this. 

Not entirely correct, It's the opposite with Bankwest zero in oz

https://www.choice.com.au/products/travel/money/travel-insurance/bankwest-zero-platinum-card

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Read the Thread !!!!!

Its been stated by the guys sister that it was a solo accident, nobody else involved, he hit a wall at high speed with no helmet on.

l stand corrected. Yes l thought l read HIT and RUN

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Read the Thread !!!!!

Why do you assume its Thais to blame have a look at some idiot falang drivers on koh samui. any way seems no one to blame according to the report 

this is getting silly now. for gods sake read the thread. there was no thai involved. he crashed himself. and for those saying the insurance company is being harsh, he didn't have a bike license of course they wouldn't pay out. anyway, let's hope he pulls through eh. seems like they've raised a lot already

4 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

99.999999 they did and the reality nothing is going to happen to them sadly!  CCTV might have caught the accident but even if they catch up with the person seriously doubt if Thai will have the necessary insurance to cover that amount. Sad... 4am I've been up that late and although quiet is the worse time always scan constantly,  many drunks out there.

To all those who continually look for the hit and run please go back and read this chaps sister report that there was NO hit and run but he lost control of the bike at high speed on a bend and hit a concrete wall. That is what his sister has reported.

As for the insurance, he is an Australian who does not have a valid Australian motorbike licence and because of this no insurance company will validate any policy for his illegal activity of riding the motorbike without a motorbike licence

Once again most posters have got the wrong and are blaming the driver/rider. The fault should be with the rental shop for renting a bike without confirming proper documentation. As, at a guess, 99% of people who rent don’t posses a motorbike licence the issue should be with a system that allows them to rent, not with the poor guy.

5 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

Why do you assume its Thais to blame have a look at some idiot falang drivers on koh samui. any way seems no one to blame according to the report 

Im the one saying there were NO THAIS involved.

2 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Once again most posters have got the wrong and are blaming the driver/rider. The fault should be with the rental shop for renting a bike without confirming proper documentation. As, at a guess, 99% of people who rent don’t posses a motorbike licence the issue should be with a system that allows them to rent, not with the poor guy.

If you know that you do not have a valid motorbike licence isn't it your responsibility not to go and try to hire a motorbike. You cannot take the responsibility of hiring a motorbike away from this guy because he knew he did not have a motorbike licence.

7 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

i can't really agree with you there mate. it is up to you to make sure you are legal and covered here. this isn't the west as you know

48 minutes ago, geoff65 said:

So what if they did, what’s your point?this Thailand, and as for the other post and if you think that the other bloke insurance should pay, again this is Thailand, its up to you to take out travel insurance and abide by their policies ,And this guy didn’t and now he wants everybody else to pay his hospital cost?????? Bull poo no way, some people are just plan brainless and this goes for anyone who thinks they can cut corners and get away with it,looks like common sense is dead in some.

My point is this thread is about the bikes insurance will not pay because he did not have a license..The rent shop should not rent to anyone without a license because they will not be insured.

The shop knows that but all they are interested in is the tourist dosh. The shop should be made accountable if they provided a vehicle to someone who was not qualified to use it..

I have rented bikes and cars around the world and a license to use their stuff must be provided/shown..

5 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Yes , the poor innocent guy, they made him lie about having a license, and they forced him to go riding at 4am (probably pissed) , then they forced him to drive to fast, hit a wall at high speed. And they made him not wear a helmet.

He is responsible for his own actions.

21 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Insurance companies first priority is to look for something that invalidates the claim. He didn't have a motorcycle license, so this no doubt would be in the conditions of insurance I guess. 

Sympathy to the poor guy, especially since it appears he was not a fault, and just left there to die, if it really was a hit and run.

Ok... read it, that he lost control.. tragedy!!

" Insurance companies first priority is to look for something that invalidates the claim "

Yes they hope most people either don't bother to read or don't understand the fine print:bah:

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Every insurance is void if you don't have proper licence. 

Normal travel insurance does not cover MC driving even if you have licence. 

Only covers if the bike is less than 50cc, check the fine print. 

If you intend to drive a MC in Thailand you actually need an extra insurance for that. 

Only big bikers know this. 

Ohhhh! i Love a Big Biker, all that Leather.  :biggrin:

15 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

4 am no helmet and no license and hits a wall single vehicle collision. Alcohol or drugs in his body maybe or probably. 

Yep all the rental companies fault — no fault on the driver. 

2 minutes ago, midas said:

" Insurance companies first priority is to look for something that invalidates the claim "

Yes they hope most people either don't bother to read or don't understand the fine print:bah:

The print isnt that fine, its basic common sense, if you dont have a license you are not covered.

Would people consider riding a bike at home with no license, or think they were insured to do so ?????

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

I understand why his automobile insurance will not pay as he rented a bike in a foreign country without a bike license.

But health insurance would pay.  No health insurance???? Or has go fund me become the health insurer of choice in 2018?  

Sorry for this young man and hope a miracle happens. IMO too many people are asking those of us that pay health insurance premiums to bail out those that don’t pay for health insurance through go fund me programs. 

Blah, Blah, Blah, another Go Fund Me Basher, change the Record please, we have all heard it a Million times already.

5 hours ago, transam said:

So did the shop rent out a bike to a bloke with no bike license from any country...?

I pray this man recovers.

Reputable car rental companies in Thailand require a valid automobile drivers license from your home country in order for their insueres to payout in case of accident.

Generally,  scooter rental requires a passport and money, with no interest as to endorsement for motorcycles. My vote is to go after the scooter rental companies, but I won't wait dinner for that the happen.

What may change this is for the foreign media and social media to bring this to light and cause damage to the all important reputation of this country.  Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes , the poor innocent guy, they made him lie about having a license, and they forced him to go riding at 4am (probably pissed) , then they forced him to drive to fast, hit a wall at high speed. And they made him not wear a helmet.

He is responsible for his own actions.

4am does make you wonder if he'd been drinking. funny how people are always so quick to jump on the thais when this happens. only the other week, the bloke in huahin who needed GFM, it was the same. turns out the car involved was being driven by another farang with dashcam footage that it was the bikes fault.

29 minutes ago, Media1 said:

You would have to be the lowest weakest dog. To leave somebody like that.

l wish only the worst on the Thai that did this. l also hope your family suffers bad KARMA.

So even though the witness said there was no one else involved and that he lost control of the bike and came off while not wearing a helmet,

you will let your hatred for Thai people ignore that. I am sure that you will say the witness is lying as she is Thai.

Maybe people who think like you deserve bad Karma.

5 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

If he was hit by someone else, then their insurance should be paying, though to drive here without the correct license and ensuring you have valid insurance is definitely a risky and inadvisable thing to do. The roads here are shockingly dangerous even when you have a lot of experience here, which many renters simply do not have.

No .....their insurance company wont pay out either

They can just say, he didn't have a licence so he shouldn't have been there...an easy out for them

20 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The print isnt that fine, its basic common sense, if you dont have a license you are not covered.

Would people consider riding a bike at home with no license, or think they were insured to do so ?????

I replied to Straight8's post about insurance policies   in general not the circumstances of this guy

5 hours ago, midas said:

But it doesn't say he was driving without any license? Just that he didn't have a motorcycle license. Do insurance companies refuse to pay out if you have a licence to drive a car in Australia? But then rent a motorbike?

This is all factually incorrect anyway,  as well as needing an Aussie motor bike license he would also needs an International driving license to drive legally in Thailand. And I'm sure thats the ace the  insurance companies hold just in case they need a back up plan to screw punters.

Archived