Obesity As A Medical Condition

Jingthing

How about all the people who never had a weight problem until they became older and their metabolism began to slow down? Do they also have "underlying psychological problems that they are unwilling to accept and look at"?

Did it just start when they got old?

Your theories aren't real big on common sense. :o

How about all the people who never had a weight problem until they became older and their metabolism began to slow down? Do they also have "underlying psychological problems that they are unwilling to accept and look at"? Did it just start when they got old?Your theories aren't real big on common sense. "rolleyes.gif"

Well if your metabolism has slowed down and you are less active you obviously need less food to sustain you. Unfortunately as people get older they fail to change their diets and continue to eat the same foods in the same quantity. Obviously when you are younger you burn off more. It's pretty simple but changing your diet and accepting it is a different matter. It's all about balance. You need to find what works for you. You need to be aware of you body. Dont live for the sensation of the food, live for health. Of course easier said than done but if being overweight really really concerns you, you will look at yourself, your food intake, your exercise and you will sort it. Unfortunately most people fail to do this as it's easier to shove another fatty substance into their bodies because that's what they want to do.

As for common sense if you don't realise you need less food now than when you were younger you're not as smart as you think you are.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, guys- haven't been keeping a close enough eye. It is against the Fat Forum guidelines to "blame" heavy people for their weight problems; this forum is to function as a support group, not a forum instigating guilt or self-rejection. FM's on a posting holiday now.

Obese man loses battle with genetic disorder

By staff and agencies. daily telegraph uk.

Last Updated: 1:43am BST 16/05/2007

A morbidly obese young man has died after losing his fight against a rare genetic disorder that compelled him to eat continuously.

In April Chris Leppard weighed 40 stone

Chris Leppard, 25, died at 10.45am at the Conquest Hospital in St Leonards, East Sussex.

He was admitted to hospital last month suffering from a chest infection and other health complaints resulting from the obesity caused by Prader-Willi Syndrome.

His uncle Steve Glover, 47, said: "We're all devastated. He went downhill on Saturday, improved on Sunday but went downhill again and died.

"It is a shock. We all thought he would stay in hospital for a while, lose weight and come home."

advertisementMr Leppard, who was diagnosed with Prader-Willi in his early teens, had seen his weight rise to around 40st, having spent most of the past six months confined to his home in Hastings.

Doctors gave Chris a fortnight to live in April after his weight soared to around 40st.

At the time, he said: "What the doctors said has hit me hard. I can't live like this anymore but I don't want to die.

"I'm scared about leaving my mum, my friends and my family but I'm just too fat to help myself now. I can't get up to exercise.

"It hurts my legs too much to support my weight."

A Conquest Hospital spokesman said: "We would like to send our deepest sympathies to his family at this sad time."

Prader-Willi Syndrome was first described in 1956 by three Swiss doctors, and stems from a flaw in the part of the brain known as the hypothalamus, which determines hunger.

There are believed to be around 2,000 cases of the incurable condition in the UK, with around one in 22,000 babies born with it, according to research.

Two years ago East Sussex social services sectioned Chris under the Mental Health Act. He spent seven days at the Eastbourne Clinic in Eastbourne after social services said they had acted for his own safety.

When doctors discharged him a week later after concluding he was free of any mental condition, he tried to cut back on his high-calorie intake but fell back into old habits.

In June 2005, Abby Redpath, 29, from Wooler in Northumberland, died after being diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome at the age of 16.

The Prader-Willi Syndrome Association has said the condition is caused by a genetic disorder affecting the brain that means sufferers cannot control their hunger. They also suffer from an abnormal body composition, which means they need fewer calories than the average person.

• 1 month later...

I continue to contend that there is a whole lot more to the world obesity epidemic than simple overeating. Complex mechanisms are at work. I believe in no longer than a decade from now, there really will be a magic pill. At that time, the moralistic way many people judge fat people will be seen as archaic and primitive. I already do.

However, that doesn't do anyone any good now.

More promising news!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

New Study Links Stress, Obesity

By Rob Stein

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, July 1, 2007; 1:00 PM

Scientists reported today they have uncovered a biological switch by which stress can promote obesity, a discovery that could help explain the world's growing weight problem and lead to new ways to both melt flab and manipulate fat for cosmetic purposes.

Edited by Jingthing

I continue to contend that there is a whole lot more to the world obesity epidemic than simple overeating. Complex mechanisms are at work. I believe in no longer than a decade from now, there really will be a magic pill. At that time, the moralistic way many people judge fat people will be seen as archaic and primitive. I already do.

However, that doesn't do anyone any good now.

I swim and exercise almost every day, eat normal portions and don't snack between meals, however, I am huge and slowly keep getting bigger.

I don't think that I am this fat because of over-eating ( 20 lbs over weight yes, 100 lbs no) :o

More strong evidence that dieting is BAD FOR MOST PEOPLE. It doesn't work in the long run and actually makes people more unhealthy! There is also evidence it totally resets your metabolism creating a cycle of lifetime obesity.

What are the answers?

Prevention. Too late for most reading this. Children never getting fat in the first place.

Increased emphasis on exercise.

The MAGIC PILL.

Yes, the magic pill. Don't pray to God. Give more money to scientists.

http://www.slate.com/id/2169134

Edited by Jingthing