“Connect Four” latest bar game to be axed as military voices gambling concerns

rooster59

“Connect Four” latest bar game to be axed as military voices gambling concerns

c41.JPG

The popular game of Connect Four is the latest victim of the Thai government’s crackdown on what they suggest are subversive games being played in bars in Thailand.

Following attempts to license Darts and the arrest of pensioners playing Bridge last year the authorities are determined to clear up all suspicious activity in the nation’s entertainment venues.

Connect Four is a seemingly innocuous game in which participants take it in turns to make a winning line of four counters.

But beneath the apparent harmless exterior of what many thought was an innocent game for children lurks a murky world with connections to what local district chiefs are saying is “the foreign mafia”.

Police sources in Pattaya – where there is a hotbed of Connect Four activity centering on seedy beer bars – say that undercover operations have revealed serious problems related to illegal gambling.

A police report obtained by media Thai Rat yesterday said that an undercover officer in Soi Bua Khao confirmed that gambling on Connect Four was rife at the resort.

The officer concerned reported that he observed one caucasian come into an unnamed bar and apparently request a beverage as cover for his activities. His pockets were bulging, believed to be spare cash, as a lady boy approached.

According to the report he said: “G’day mate. Can I get a tinny?” He was believed to be Austrian, said Thai Rat as he had a strange foreign accent.

The lady boy served a drink but the incident continued suspiciously as he/she suggested a quick game of “Connect Four” not realizing that the plain clothes officer was listening in.

“You bet” said the foreigner, clearly indicating to the police that money was about to change hands.

A Pattaya police spokesman said that the image of the resort as a tourist friendly destination was at stake.

“Since we have stopped darts and bridge many more families have felt safer to come and spend money here,” he said on condition of anonymity.

“Stopping Connect Four should assist Pattaya and other places in Thailand to maintain their status as World Class destinations not just for Chinese people, but everyone”.

c42.JPG

Stacking game Jenga is also believed to be high on the junta’s “no-no” list.

A government spokesman, Maj Gen Lorlen Wantheeneungmesa said that the junta wanted crime solved but were keen to ensure happiness was constantly restored to the people.

With this in mind Maj Gen Lorlen said that packs of “Connect the Dots” pictures would be distributed free (minus pencils) to bars and entertainment venues as a wholesome replacement activity.

“Connect the Dots pictures will include airborne inflatables, submarines and luxury watches,” he said.

“And they will all be delivered in a handy brown envelope”.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-01

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Literally the dumbest sh!t I've heard yet coming out of Thailand. 

Have no fear gents, as I am planning a nice little native style party resort in the Philippines. 

You'll be glad you know you can stay, drink, play all kinds of games, hang out with the girls and even engage in other touristy activities, if you so choose, without all this nonsense. For much lower cost too.

We won't even PRETEND to be a world class destination as Thailand likes to do..

Lol

What about the prostitutes? They are illegal!

Paying a bar fine is soliciting for namely sex, which the authorities are fully aware of.

Its getting worse here, but I am very pleased to report that I'm leaving very soon and for good.

What next?/No foot wear to be worn in a bar!

The grass is greener else where.

"A Pattaya police spokesman said that the image of the resort as a tourist friendly destination was at stake. “Since we have stopped darts and bridge many more families have felt safer to come and spend money here,” he said on condition of anonymity."

Pattaya has an image alright, but it's not for playing connect four. These govt. buffoons have lost the plot big time.

3 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

"A Pattaya police spokesman said that the image of the resort as a tourist friendly destination was at stake. “Since we have stopped darts and bridge many more families have felt safer to come and spend money here,” he said on condition of anonymity."

Pattaya has an image alright, but it's not for playing connect four. These govt. buffoons have lost the plot big time.

Common sense post of the year.

I was at a bar in Soi LK Metro last night. At around 11.30pm, a few BIB‘s toured the bar and informed costumers that unlicenced connect four will become illegal at midnight. Great policework for once as it saved us from taking part in illegal operations. We were informed that General Big Joke will personally challenge everybody caught in this kind of activity. Thanks BIB‘s!

Well with the end of connect four and the expulsion of the nefarious Russian coral bleachers, Thailand can now claim to be as advanced and as safe as Singapore,

I'm there, I'm on my way to order a tinnie in my strange foreign accent.

The sanook factor is slowly disappearing from LOS... Taken away by Generals, Politicians who are not in touch with real life and the people. They need to get down from their sanctimonious lofty perch more often....:whistling:

14 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Well with the end of connect four and the expulsion of the nefarious Russian coral bleachers, Thailand can now claim to be as advanced and as safe as Singapore,

I'm there, I'm on my way to order a tinnie in my strange foreign accent.

what's a tinnie? I am from Germany and I am curious as a mouse in springtime

1 minute ago, crazygreg44 said:

It's (tin)can of Aussie beer served so cold it can cause frostbite.

It can also mean a small aluminium boat, probably made from recycled tinnies.

12 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Another nail in the coffin

People have been saying that on this forum since it started.

Yet Thailand has more tourists every year.

Grumpy expats might not like it - but Thailand is booming. The tourism trade is booming. 

Whatever the authorities are doing - might make it less fun for aging sexpats but it's still working to bring in more tourists.

15 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

It is Aussie slang for a Beer can,  food and drink containers made of metal or tin "a tinnie"

I prefer my beer from small glass bottles known as "stubbies".

BTW, Aussies just pictures not my choice of beer.

victoria-bitter-stubbies.jpg

Beer tinnie.jpg

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the authorities are determined to clear up all suspicious activity in the nation’s entertainment venues.

What a load of crock! 

If they really wanted to "clear up all suspicious activity", they would have started by clearing up all the hookers standing on streets looking for business and who quite often harass passersby; all the conartists and scammers who prey on tourists; all the shabby tuktuk drivers who overprice and drive like crazy. The list is endless. 

Just looking for another way to line their pockets. 

Hearing someone utter the word "tinnie" is a good guide that the person is Australian.

For confirmation, just observe them for a few minutes and their hands are guaranteed to stray down the front of their trousers as they like to "tamper" with their balls a lot.

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's (tin)can of Aussie beer served so cold it can cause frostbite.

It can also mean a small aluminium boat, probably made from recycled tinnies.

recycled tinnies ??. . that's what the Buddha image in the mountain south of Pattaya is made from.  Gold plated tinnies  . . .( i had a good pair of binoculars)

with good optics ya can see the Coke & Fanta logos shinin' through

17 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

It is Aussie slang for a Beer can,  food and drink containers made of metal or tin "a tinnie"

Beer tinnie.jpg

i prefer my beer from stubbies as well

tinnies leave a metallic taste on my tongue

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

“You bet” said the foreigner, clearly indicating to the police that money was about to change hands.

Or as is more likely the case, the foreigner was saying yes in a different way. Maybe the police should have sent in an undercover who understands English.

43 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Beer tinnie.jpg

The green death

44 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Beer tinnie.jpg

Archived