How to write "map needle"?

BadCash

Uber has always worked smoothly for me before - you put the needle on the map exactly where you are and the car picks you up there, hassle free and the drivers usually speak at least basic English. But now it seems that a new kind of driver has joined, the kind that wants to call you and confirm your pickup location in Thai before picking you up, rarely speaking a word of English.

So I want to be able to send a text message saying "Hi, I'm at the exact location of the map needle and I don't speak Thai." so that they (best case scenario) just go where the location in their app tells them to pick me up, and don't bother trying to go to some exotic street address provided by Uber (such as "Tesco Lotus" which can have 6 entrances!).

I'm not sure how to correctly explain the "map needle" thingy? Can someone provide a full, correct, sentence written in Thai?

I speak some Thai but am not sure that I could always communicate with an Uber taxi which has a problem with map reading. I think that you need more than a message telling him to use his map and informing him that you don’t speak Thai.  

However, I would call the symbol what it is, or by its colour. I don’t know what Uber uses but most symbols are red so I would say  ‘red symbol‘ or ‘arrow symbol’ : 

ที่หมายคือที่แสดงในแผ่นที่ด้วยสัญลักษณ์สีแดง or

ขอดูแผ่นที่หน่อยนะ ผมก็กำลังรอตรงที่ที่สัญลักษณ์ลูกศรชี้ให้ดู and ผมพูดภาษาไทยไม่เป็น 

He would probably be confused because he was wanting an address, may even think you have given him an address and that, coupled with the fact that you can’t speak or write Thai, would mean ‘pass, find another passenger’!    Hopefully then a more ‘switched on’ or English speaking driver might take you on. 

An interesting question, my reply is not helpful I know,  but may encourage someone more knowledgable to join in.  

I am very pleased to report that apart from getting แผ่น and แผน confused, which I can explain but doubt you would be interested, my two little messages are understandable. When I read them out, I pronounced สัญลักษณ์  as written without the vowel; should have been: สันยะลัก  

The criticism was that what I wrote was ทางการ which is fair enough. 

The normal word on Uber for indicating your location is พิกัด apparently. To tell the driver to come there a Thai might say ผมส่งพิกัดแล้ว : I have sent the location. That word is then seen as the “map needle” .  

My Thai interlocutor has just looked it up and is surprised to see that it means coordinates! 

Archived