Phuket’s ‘Smart Bus’ service rolls into action

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Simple precedent. Look to the other beach resort.

The Pattaya baht bus taxi cartel have run the show for over 35 years and in that time have seen off at least 3 well-organized, city endorsed and independently owned ventures in proper public bus transportation.

When faced with increasing rancor, the baht bus taxi cartel introduced a fleet of air-conditioned meter taxis. However, the meters are never turned on and it's just a high-end baht bus when it comes to fare barter.

It's called controlling the competition, a closed-shop or cartel.

When you've been here (there or anywhere) long enough...

Wow 30 posts before baht buses got mentioned.

When will people get it. Pattaya- CITY, Phuket- ISLAND. Its apple and oranges.

Baht buses work in Pattaya and I like them, there's no need for alternatives there. Mentioning them here achieves nothing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

So how do you do anything now?

It's a bit much to expect a start up, new enterprise to factor in a bus stop at your front door to take you to wherever is convenient.

Hopefully it will prosper and one day become a full service handy to all. Right now it needs support not petty putdowns.

I do NOT expect a bus to stop outside my door I have caught busses/trains to my place of work all my life.  ALWAYS involved a walk - walking to/from the bus stop is not a problem.  

My favoured mode of transport is bicycle but I would not be able to manage the hills to Patong.

11 minutes ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I do NOT expect a bus to stop outside my door I have caught busses/trains to my place of work all my life.  ALWAYS involved a walk - walking to/from the bus stop is not a problem.  

My favoured mode of transport is bicycle but I would not be able to manage the hills to Patong.

So take the Smart Bus :)

Can anyone explain this diagram 'Time Bus' on the Smart Bus Website?  Does it tell us that it takes more than 12 hours to travel in either direction between airport and Rawai?  Or is this bus a lot smarter than I am? 

881.jpg

Can anyone explain this diagram 'Time Bus' on the Smart Bus Website?  Does it tell us that it takes more than 12 hours to travel in either direction between airport and Rawai?  Or is this bus a lot smarter than I am? 

881.jpg.2d7cbbe2f51a890afa2c93dccadb20bd.jpg
Those are the departing times it leaves airport and Rawai.
Not that hard to figure out.
The other stops can't really have a timetable yet as its new and traffic conditions pending.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OK I've got it! These are the departure times from each terminus.  It's misleading because they use the same blue line to denote the route and stops on the website and buses.

Now we see that there are gaps in service of up to three hours in morning and afternoon and there are only 8 trips per day.

That's quite different from the press release that announced the Smart Bus launch on 3rd February.

“The buses will run every 30 to 45 minutes,” he added.

“The first departures will be from the airport and Rawai at 6am, while the last will be at 8pm. The total is 32 times a day" 

I really want this service to succeed but 8 daily departures instead of 32 is not viable for users travelling to work or to catch a flight.

The tracking technology is 'smart', but it looks like they urgently need professional help with managing the service to meet passengers needs and to avoid incurring operating deficits.   

Can understand why some are querying the initial 500 baht charge, it seems a bit much if you're not familiar with the Rabbit Card.

500 baht breaks down to the 100 baht deposit on the Rabbit Card and the initial 400 baht credit.

So its really a 100 baht cost.  400 baht you can use until spent

As a long time Rabbit card user this is good news to be able to use it if I take the new Smart bus here - I can use my existing Rabbit

For those wondering if it is worth it to get the Rabbit card:

-  can use at McDonalds anywhere in Phuket.  You get an instant 10% discount on your total bill if you use a Rabbit card

-  Can also top up your Rabbit card at McD's

Not sure if other places in Phuket accept Rabbit yet aside from McD's, but feel this will follow.

In Bangkok it can be used not only on the BTS (handy if you travel to bangkok) but also a wide range of restaurants, shops and cinemas.

Rabbit is along the lines of Hong Kong's Octopus, London's Oyster card etc 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, Nurseynutcase said:

Perhaps there should be a bulldozing service to flatten those hills for you.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:07 AM, Psimbo said:

Lets count the seconds before someone mentions an event that happened nearly 20 years ago.

Progress, eh- with thinking like yours we'd still be hitting women over the head and dragging them home. Oh, hang on forget I mentioned that bit ........................................... :ph34r:

I'd be willing to guess that 'The Guest' is another who does not reside in Phuket but knows all about life here. Crack on!

Edit: I see 'Mr Baht Bus' has posted above but really can't be bothered to open his post and see yet another negative response.

"I see 'Mr Baht Bus' has posted above" - you can take the p*ss ou of me all you like, but THE FACT IS 1000kms north of Phuket a "baht bus" system has been transporting locals, expats, and tourists, for decades, with very few complaints.

A similar system has been withheld from Phuket for the financial benefit of a few, and it has caused injury and death, so much so Phuket is one of the most dangerous places to be on the road in the world.  It has caused a lot more traffic, which brings more accidents, as well as noise and air pollution, and parking problems. 

I call BS on those who say a similarly implemented system would not work here. 

On 4/4/2018 at 7:18 AM, sebastion said:

How do know its the same influential people that run the taxi/tuk tuk cartel?
Why would they rally against their own monopoly?
Please show me something to prove your accusation because i don't think you thought out what you're claiming, as usual.

If you actually clicked the link at the end of the original post you'll see that the airport parking for the bus is being problematic right now so your claims it being the same people are busted.

The people behind the bus have good intentions. They want Phuket to prosper and put their money on the line to make it happen.

You hope this fails so you can come on here and be Mr i told you so.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

"How do know its the same influential people that run the taxi/tuk tuk cartel?" - I don't, but you can bet if they are not, they would have had to have their business plan for transport here "approved" by those "influential people" here, otherwise, WHERE have they been for the last two decades????  It's not like a market for proper public transport on Phuket has just been created.  In any case, I would suggest, these "investors" have probably missed their opportunity here.  All too little, too late.

"Why would they rally against their own monopoly?" - because maybe, just maybe, their monopoly isn't as profitable anymore, and they are taking "an each way bet."

"you'll see that the airport parking for the bus is being problematic" - we all know most tourist will get a taxi to their hotel after their flight.  What really has been lacking, for decades, is affordable and proper public transport around the beaches, and between the beaches.  In my experience, to and from the airport, has not been the main complain of tourists.

"You hope this fails so you can come on here and be Mr i told you so." - RUBBISH.  Regulars on this forum know I am the most vocal on public transport here.  I am all for ANY transport that is not part of the transport mafia here to succeed.  

In my opinion, it's that lack of proper public transport that has been the single biggest reason for the complete change in tourist demographic here, and the way the new demographic are transported around Phuket.  Eg. coach buses everywhere.

They are also responsible for Phuket being among the most dangerous place to be on the road IN THE WORLD.  Phuket Province has the highest road fatalities in Thailand, thanks to the transport mafia here.

Whilst this bus may be a start, the transport mafia has already done enormous damage here. 

Slowly "allowing" small operations like this bus to start running is not going to be enough to lure back the huge slice of the western tourist market Phuket has lost, and it is certainly not going to lower the death toll, or ease traffic or parking problems.  That said, despite your opinion, I hope it succeeds.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:22 PM, Argus Tuft said:

Not sure if other places in Phuket accept Rabbit yet aside from McD's, but feel this will follow.

In Bangkok it can be used not only on the BTS (handy if you travel to bangkok) but also a wide range of restaurants, shops and cinemas.

Most likely Dairy Queen, Yamazaki and many BigC Mini will do as they do in BKK or PTY. More to follow

I would think tourists would use the bus more if they had a cash payment system available also.  Maybe they currently do.  Requiring customers to buy some sort of card no doubt will put some people off of a 500 baht upfront payment.

Rabbit card probably works well in BKK for residents, but not sure tourists here will be keen to put up 500 on initial outlay.

• 2 weeks later...

I am behind this idea of having a choice between taxis and a comfortable bus. Competition is the magic word. But..... in my opinion, this nonsense of having to buy a “Rabbit Card” is a bit weird. I have noticed people not boarding the bus because they had to buy a card for THB 100 first and then had the amount taken out of their card balance (THB 200). To top things off, it is not possible to top up the card anywhere in Rawai, although it should be possible at any Tesco Lotus Express. If you live in Rawai, you would have to go to the nearest McDonald’s, which happens to be in Patong!! It’s not the lack of passengers, that might bring this good idea to a screeching halt, it’s the incompetence!! Sorry for the harsh words...... but it’s true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Average passenger levels on the ones I have seen going through Kamala are 3-4. On the one hand bringing it in at the end of High Season may not be the best idea, on the other they have time to iron out any wrinkles before November.

Nay-sayers must be spitting feathers that they haven't been torched so far! :ph34r:

7 hours ago, joloit said:

I am behind this idea of having a choice between taxis and a comfortable bus. Competition is the magic word. But..... in my opinion, this nonsense of having to buy a “Rabbit Card” is a bit weird. I have noticed people not boarding the bus because they had to buy a card for THB 100 first and then had the amount taken out of their card balance (THB 200). To top things off, it is not possible to top up the card anywhere in Rawai, although it should be possible at any Tesco Lotus Express. If you live in Rawai, you would have to go to the nearest McDonald’s, which happens to be in Patong!! It’s not the lack of passengers, that might bring this good idea to a screeching halt, it’s the incompetence!! Sorry for the harsh words...... but it’s true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes you are right, it's a bit awkward especially if you want to use the Smart Bus just once. But it's the direction in which "smart cities" are going, pay lots of things with one card. Though "smart" and "Phuket" seems at odd in the same sentence.

Give it time, the rabbit card will establish itself. You can use it in a lot of places in BKK already (including mrt). At Rawai beach, I was able to use it in the Family Mart. I suppose if they have  a terminal to pay with Rabbit, they should be able to top up as well. I topped up recently at a McD in Chiang Mai (just top up, no need to buy anything).

There is a Rabbit phone line 02-617-8383: they speak English and can tell you where is the nearest top up point for you.

I flew into Phuket on April 27. I arrived at about 8:00 a.m. so waited for the 10:15 Phuket Smart Bus. It arrived as scheduled at the second rank (bus) outside the domestic terminal. For payment, I first paid ฿300 to the onboard attendant, then tapped the card to the payment console once for an initial charge of ฿30. Upon arrival in Patong I tapped the card a second time which deducted ฿50 for a total of ฿80. The bus waited 15 minutes before departing with 6 passengers. The trip to Patong took 50 minutes.

On my return several days later I picked up the bus near the beach at the end of Bangla. Payment worked as before.

The Phuket Smart Bus cloud site (https://phuket.cloud/bus/) is exceptionally helpful in determining the location of the bus. The cloud map very accurately showed the location of the bus. It did take a moment studying the map, which is without a legend, to determine that the orange indicators appear to indicate stops for the southward-bound route while the light blue indicates the north-bound journey.

The bus offers free WiFi. USB is charging is provided. The outlets are tucked down between the seats. Seat belts are provided but are awkward to use.

Other than the bus having to take sudden, jarring evasive action to avoid running over a helmet-less motorbike rider who did a sudden u-turn upon spying a police stop a short distance ahead, it was a comfortable and uneventful 40 minute trip back.

As for concerns about the utility of the Rabbit Card for occasional visitors, at a cost of ฿300 (not the ฿400 which has been publicized) and a round trip cost of ฿160 I could hardly do better.

I frequently see these Smart buses plying the route between Kata and Patong. See at least one each day I am out and about. Not look like too many pax but at least the service appears to be working and can only attract more pax over time.

2 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

I flew into Phuket on April 27. I arrived at about 8:00 a.m. so waited for the 10:15 Phuket Smart Bus. It arrived as scheduled at the second rank (bus) outside the domestic terminal. For payment, I first paid ฿300 to the onboard attendant, then tapped the card to the payment console once for an initial charge of ฿30. Upon arrival in Patong I tapped the card a second time which deducted ฿50 for a total of ฿80. The bus waited 15 minutes before departing with 6 passengers. The trip to Patong took 50 minutes.

On my return several days later I picked up the bus near the beach at the end of Bangla. Payment worked as before.

The Phuket Smart Bus cloud site (https://phuket.cloud/bus/) is exceptionally helpful in determining the location of the bus. The cloud map very accurately showed the location of the bus. It did take a moment studying the map, which is without a legend, to determine that the orange indicators appear to indicate stops for the southward-bound route while the light blue indicates the north-bound journey.

The bus offers free WiFi. USB is charging is provided. The outlets are tucked down between the seats. Seat belts are provided but are awkward to use.

Other than the bus having to take sudden, jarring evasive action to avoid running over a helmet-less motorbike rider who did a sudden u-turn upon spying a police stop a short distance ahead, it was a comfortable and uneventful 40 minute trip back.

As for concerns about the utility of the Rabbit Card for occasional visitors, at a cost of ฿300 (not the ฿400 which has been publicized) and a round trip cost of ฿160 I could hardly do better.

Are you saying that you can buy the rabbit card on the bus?

20 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Are you saying that you can buy the rabbit card on the bus?

To follow up on this, where would the average customer turn the card in to get his balance remaining back?  If these details were clearly explained at the stops and on the buses, I could see more people using the service.

52 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

To follow up on this, where would the average customer turn the card in to get his balance remaining back?  If these details were clearly explained at the stops and on the buses, I could see more people using the service.

As this regards the Rabbit Card, you might find your answer here: https://card.rabbit.co.th/en

The card was initially launched as an "e money" card by/for Bangkok's BTS but has been extended for use for other cooperating mass transit systems (including Phuket Smart Bus) and a growing list of merchants. The site I linked indicates how to redeem Rabbit credits with those transit companies and merchants. I didn't see anything about how to redeem for cash.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, ChristianBlessing said:

For payment, I first paid ฿300 to the onboard attendant, then tapped the card to the payment console once for an initial charge of ฿30. Upon arrival in Patong I tapped the card a second time which deducted ฿50 for a total of ฿80.

Strange. My experience is that when you first tap in, it shows the balance on the Rabbit card. When you get out, it shows the balance after the fee has been deducted.

So, I finally got to ride the Smart Bus. Landed at HKT, it was conveniently waiting outside the domestic arrivals. Had my Rabbit Card already, but the staff has a bunch of them for sale. We were 3 passengers at the start, 2 more got on in Surin, one off in Kamala, the rest in Patong. I was the only passenger from there to Rawai. At this rate, I don't know how they can survive. The problem is that the driver/assistant don't speak much English: when potential passengers flag down the bus and ask about price, they show them a printed page with the rabbit card and 500B price (or whatever, I didn't read it), and they obviously say no thank you.

There should be a clear explanation that it's a debit card and you can use the credit left for many other payments.

Anyway, what I found nice:

-2 drivers, one rests for the return trip

-brand new bus, spacious seating, some luggage space, aircon

-very careful driving, never speeding and shifting down the gear on those nasty downhills.

-more or less on schedule (1h55m from HKT to Rawai beach)

-you can choose where to get off exactly, like a taxi with a fixed route

I also appreciated the scenery of all the beaches on the west coast instead of the usual boring highway. 2 hours passed quickly. Paying 170B instead of 800-1000 was also nice.

To be improved: they should have a better explanation of how the Rabbit card works, and they should have printed timetables for handout.

12 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I also appreciated the scenery of all the beaches on the west coast instead of the usual boring highway. 2 hours passed quickly.

A real plus.

On my one and only occasion driving a car in Phuket last year I also used this route and it was great. Little traffic at the time (September) too.

Awesome multi million Dollar villas/mansions on the hills overlooking the ocean.

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

So, I finally got to ride the Smart Bus. Landed at HKT, it was conveniently waiting outside the domestic arrivals. Had my Rabbit Card already, but the staff has a bunch of them for sale. We were 3 passengers at the start, 2 more got on in Surin, one off in Kamala, the rest in Patong. I was the only passenger from there to Rawai. At this rate, I don't know how they can survive. The problem is that the driver/assistant don't speak much English: when potential passengers flag down the bus and ask about price, they show them a printed page with the rabbit card and 500B price (or whatever, I didn't read it), and they obviously say no thank you.

There should be a clear explanation that it's a debit card and you can use the credit left for many other payments.

Anyway, what I found nice:

-2 drivers, one rests for the return trip

-brand new bus, spacious seating, some luggage space, aircon

-very careful driving, never speeding and shifting down the gear on those nasty downhills.

-more or less on schedule (1h55m from HKT to Rawai beach)

-you can choose where to get off exactly, like a taxi with a fixed route

I also appreciated the scenery of all the beaches on the west coast instead of the usual boring highway. 2 hours passed quickly. Paying 170B instead of 800-1000 was also nice.

To be improved: they should have a better explanation of how the Rabbit card works, and they should have printed timetables for handout.

Great post, first decent trip report.  Thanks

Archived