The Low Carb Lifestyle

Ijustwannateach

Anyone still doing low carb? What are your results?

I am and I'm doing great. I eat about 60-80 grams of carbs a day so I'm not restricting them drastically. I'm still losing fat (lost 45 pounds--want to lose more 15 more), and feeling great. I eat plenty of leafy vegetables along with meat, eggs, and fish. I will increase the carbs some once I reach my target weight, mostly in the form of sweet potatoes and squash.

I've documented my progress here.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like exercise can really make a difference if you are low carbing, Frank. I've lost a bit of weight low carbing but now I need to kick in the exercise to try to keep it moving.

dclary, I like your blog. Looks like you've got quite a few posts. I'll have to read through it sometime.

I don’t get involved much in the technical side of dieting but have followed Atkins with some success.

First two weeks very little carbs.

After this I plunge in with my own variations I have one very interesting one.

PORRIDGE OR OATS.

100grms are about 59 carbs

I use 20 grams it’s a lot mixed with Soya milk and boiling water cooked in micro at 60% for 2 .30m sweeten to taste for breakfast also helps with my cholesterol.

Approx 12-15 carbs

Same recipe don’t micro but add 2 eggs and Soya to mix NO WATER. Cook bacon, chicken, prawns or whatever spring onion in pan and add porridge mix.

Flip and cook two eggs to go with same.

APPROX 15 carbs

Really fills you up sometimes I cant eat all so full

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been interested in health issues although not necessarily diet issues however I came across this interesting article today on Yahoo News from a fairly reputable source (Chair of Dept of Nutrition Harvard School of Public Health) that I thought I would pass on to TV members in an appropriate forum since I found the answer very interesting.

If you're one of millions of Americans trying to lose weight, you probably wish you had a more effective diet than the one you're on now. And if you're wondering whether Dean Ornish's low-fat diet will help you shed pounds better than Dr. Atkins' low-carb menu, the answer is simple: it doesn't matter. Scientists know that on a molecular level, different types of starch and different types of fat have varying effects when they hit the body. But in terms of weight loss, low-fat diets and low-carb diets overall are equally effective (and, most of the time, neither will help you keep the weight off long-term), says Walter Willett, chair of the department of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. Here's why.

Q:Will eating a calorie of fat make you fatter than eating a calorie of carbohydrate?

A: From many kinds of studies conducted over years, we are quite confident now that a calorie from fat will cause a similar amount of weight gain as a calorie from carbohydrate. There are some interesting questions about whether eating carbohydrate calories versus fat calories will make you eat more calories, but based on what you put into your mouth, it's pretty clear that the source of the calories is really not important.

[Whether fats or carbohydrates are more filling] is one issue that's been raised - but it's been raised on both sides. The best way to get to the bottom line is to look at long-term studies where we randomize people to a high-fat/low-carb diet or to a low-fat/high-carb diet and follow them for at least a year or more. That kind of study takes into account the possibility that one kind of diet provides more satiety; so, over the long run you would see more weight loss on that diet. But those studies - half a dozen or more such studies have been done - show quite clearly that the percentage of calories from fat has very little effect on long-term weight loss.

One possible footnote to this issue relates to some recent evidence on trans fats. We have seen in our studies that people who eat more trans fats seem to gain more weight, even when the total calories are the same. I was a little skeptical about that, in part because we're not quite sure we can measure calorie [intake] precisely enough. [it's hard for people to track their portion sizes to the gram, or even be sure of exactly what they're eating, especially if they ever eat out.] But in recent five-year feeding study in monkeys - they're animals so you can control their diets - the monkeys on the high-trans-fat diet gained more weight. They gained about 7% of their body weight over a five-year period, compared to the monkeys on a low-trans-fat diet, who gained about 1.5% of their body weight over five years.

So there may be something more complicated going on there. But there's not any good data [to explain why a calorie of trans fat should cause more weight gain than a calorie of something else]. It may be that on the high-trans-fat diet you're more likely to push those calories into your fat cells rather than your muscle cells - and muscles burn calories 24 hours a day. In the long run, that could make a difference in weight gain. But that's speculation. We're really not sure.

We've now looked at over 250,000 men and women for up to 30 years, and we [also] haven't seen that the percentage of calories from fat or from carbohydrates in your diet makes any difference in relation to heart attacks, various cancers, or stroke. Having said that, the type of fat is very important, and so is the type of carbohydrate. So we find that trans fats, again, are particularly harmful with regard to type 2 diabetes and heart disease. On the other hand, unsaturated fats are actually beneficial in terms of reducing the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. It's the same with carbohydrates. The total amount is not important. But high intake of refined starch and sugar is related to a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes, whereas high-fiber whole-grain carbohydrates are related to a lower risk. That's not too surprising, as we know that high intakes of sugar and refined starch have an adverse effect on blood glucose levels.

So the quality of the diet is really important, but just looking at fat versus carbohydrate misses where all the action is.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just an update. I am still doing the lowcarb thing. I have yet to really exercise and have lost about 12 kilos in the last two months. Being in this lowcarb state, I feel pretty good mentally and physically. The compulsion to eat or drink excessively isn't there as it would be normally. This is the advantage of eating low carb I think. When I eat low carb I just don't have the desire to eat all sorts of stuff. Eating low fat might be better at building discipline than lowcarb as you will always have the hunger for more if you have ever been a person who just overeats all the time. I guess you could look at it like this for people who are compulsive overeaters: A lowcarber is almost like an alcoholic going cold turkey and not drinking any more alcohol whereas a low fat dieter is an alcoholic who continues to drink but cuts back on the drink by willpower. Both lowcarbers and lowfat dieters can be successful or fail in the long run. Those who don't suffer from food addiction are more likely to lose weight than those who are addicted in the way an alcoholic is addicted to drink. I am someone one with addictive eating habits when not low carb dieting. For now, I am sticking with this way of eating.

Well, just an update. I am still doing the lowcarb thing.

Just curious--do you have any idea on just how "low" your low carb diet is? I'm doing pretty well staying in the 60-70 gram range which isn't as drastic as some real low carb dieters do.

I don't really count carbs that accurately. I would say I am probably anywhere from 20 to70 grams per day. Some days I snack on too manay peanuts and broad beans. Yesterday i went to sizzler and had two salads, a soup and my meal which was pork and sausage. I like to eat Pad gra pow, Larb, and other meat dishes which can have higher carbs depending on who makes them. It's really a mix for me. I'm trying to lose weight right now so I am going a bit low most of the time I would guess. I'm avoiding the diet drinks and just having water most of the time but I do have quite a bit of coffee everyday. Oh, last Saturday I went out with a buddy barhopping. I probably had 8-10 drinks that night. Whiskey and soda and gin and tonic work well with this diet. I also had a long island iced tea with diet coke replacing coke. Over the pst two months I have drank fairly often without too many problems loisng weight. Most of the time I don't drink though.

I'm trying to lose weight right now so I am going a bit low most of the time I would guess.

Sound like your doing fine. I would try to go a little lower but I lost 30 pounds rather quickly and now I'm doing more of a slow but steady drop. I think it will make it a lot easier to maintain the loss if I gradually increase carbs as I get out of weight loss mode. One thing I avoid now that I will eat eventually are things like sweet potatoes and butternut squash. Also more mango!!! :o

Hi!! I'm so happy to have founf this thread!!!

Myself and my boyfriend followed the food doctor diet in the UK before we left for Thailand... It was great - and the ONLY diet (or rather lifestyle) that ever worked for us... my boyfriend lost nearly 3 stone and I lost the few pounds that I needed to fit back into my summer dress...

However - having spent 6 months back in Thailand - he's put a stone back on, and I've started to get that spread back :-(...

We really want to adopt the Food Doctor principle in Thailand - but find it extremely difficult....

Just to confirm the principle:

Cut out or avoid simple starchy carbs, such as white rice, sugar, potatoes..... and then eat a balanced diet of complex carbs and protein... change meal plan to 5 meals a day (mid morning snack and mid afternoon snack)....

The problem we're finding is that we are out on boats diving all day - from about 7 oclock in the morning to 4pm.... the breakfast on the boat is probably an hour and a half after we've got up, and consists of eggs, white bread and salad... though there is rumour that it will be changed to croissants.... then the lunch on the boat is white rice - a couple of meat dishes - and then stir fried vegatables in oyster sauce.....

We don't currently have a kitchen - but are working towards getting one so that we can prepare balanced meals at night....

What we're struggling with is:

1. What can we have for breakfast - when 7/11 is really our only local shop - we can perhaps get stocked up on nuts and fruit and get a fridge to keep the fruit in.....

2. What can we have for snacks that we can take onto the boat each day....

3. What can we eat for lunch when there is only a protein dish on the boat - the veg dish is full of sugar, and the rice is white...

4. When we are too knackered to cook and decide to eat out - how to order steamed vegetables is really useful - we'll try that....and have it with a meat or fish dish.....

If any of you out there have any advice - we will be sooooooo grateful...... :-)

^ I doubt you'll get this because I know this is late. You are probably back home already. Anyways, there's not much you can buy at 7Eleven. You can eat the peanuts and broad beans in the packs. The salted eggs, fermented pork (Nam) and some of the meats probably ar eokay. The diet sodas are okay for some people. There might be tuna but don't get the kind which is already mixed with mayo and sugar. Just get the plain tuna. The hotdogs they sell at the counter are okay too.

You might be able to get something like fired fish in some of the local shops. Cashews work too but their carb count is a bit high.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Your body does not always need carb. It is good to have some carb (carbs are not created equal, you all know this already) but some times if you want to lose weight or change your body shape it helps a lot to just avoid carb as carb triggers your insulin response and makes you fat! (On the other hand, fatty foods don't make you fat directly but it just gives you too much energy for something so little in portion)

When I bulk up, I eat mainly complex carbs from vegs and some simple carbs straight after workout (your muscle needs it when you want it to grow to help burn the fat later) I try to limit it to less than 150 grams a day.

Cutting for summer (when you feel like you need definition more than size, or when you only want to lose weight), you MUST avoid all the bad carbs. There's no 100% way to get rid of carb completely therefore you should try to stick with heathier complex carbs from vegs. Try to limit this to less than 50 grams per day.

Even better, try google Keto Diet. I find it the most effective way to lose fat (by eating fat)

In Thailand, it's manageable but it's quite a misery. For me, I am already used to eating bland food with no taste. I give myself three cheat meals per week where I just enjoy whatever I want given that it has no big carbs like bread of any kind, pasta, noodles or rice in it. I often stick with what I cook for myself before going to bed every night.. and reheat that stuff all day: chicken breast.

Edited by infernalman7

• 3 months later...

I have seen some pretty foolish replies on this thread....like...

You have to eat carbs for energy...try telling that to an eskimo in the winter!

I eat carbs aand dont get fat .........as if everyone has the same genetic makeup

or

you have to exercise to lose weight....what a joke!

If anyone is serious about how to lose kilos here in Thailand I have the answers!

Here is what you need:

Dedication and minimal kitchen skills

You will never be hungry you can eat whatever you want each week I PROMISE! I have done it!

Send me an email and I will help you get started!

Seems like exercise can really make a difference if you are low carbing, Frank. I've lost a bit of weight low carbing but now I need to kick in the exercise to try to keep it moving.

dclary, I like your blog. Looks like you've got quite a few posts. I'll have to read through it sometime.

I've been reading up on this, a lot of professionals seem to recommend far less aerobic exercise than was previously said to be beneficial to weight loss. Instead, they say to invest more in HIIT, which involves explosive motion, like walking fast and doing a series of sprints for 20 minutes, instead of running for long periods of time, or doing lesser reps in the gym and replacing them with a few heavy explosive sets.

Anyone else here doing HIIT?

I guess you could look at it like this for people who are compulsive overeaters: A lowcarber is almost like an alcoholic going cold turkey and not drinking any more alcohol whereas a low fat dieter is an alcoholic who continues to drink but cuts back on the drink by willpower.

Never thought of it that way, good simile!

Edited by tominbkk

Oh, last Saturday I went out with a buddy barhopping. I probably had 8-10 drinks that night. Whiskey and soda and gin and tonic work well with this diet. I also had a long island iced tea with diet coke replacing coke. Over the pst two months I have drank fairly often without too many problems loisng weight. Most of the time I don't drink though.

I have drinks maybe once a week, similar to what you have, I usually choose vodka soda with lime if I can, or a NorCal Margarita (make them myself). Still though, they cause cravings in me to eat carby stuff sometimes, and if I have been on a very low carb jag I have to be careful not to get drunk off just a couple drinks (AKA 'cheap date syndrome'). Usually it take me a day to a day and a half to get my blood sugar back into a good place after drinking too, so I try not to have too much or sometimes just have water or soda water.

I used to be a diet coke whore as well, but have really curbed that monster down to just a few cans a week as a treat. Ice cold water is my main beverage of choice these days.

I also do my best to avoid MSG....that seems to keep my brain nice and clear. I cook 85% of my own food, and when out sometimes it's avoidable but try to let them know that no MSG should be used in my food.

Edited by tominbkk

Snacking is not bad as some are saying. Many successful diets or lifestyle plans advocate eating a little bit 4 to 5 times a day as opposed to eating a lot 2 or 3 times a day.

As well, there is a whole field of new nutritionists who advocate timed meals, and/or intermittent fasting (eating only once a day). Constant snacking never gives the liver and digestive system a rest, so that it can burn fat stores and repair the body. Timed meals also promote production and release of HGH, amongst other things. Look into it! Marks Daily Apple, Jack Kruse, and Robb Wolf all have excellent sites and literature on the benefits of IFing and timed meals. They also go pretty deep into the science behind it, if you like that kind of thing.

Edited by tominbkk

In Thailand, it's manageable but it's quite a misery. For me, I am already used to eating bland food with no taste. I give myself three cheat meals per week where I just enjoy whatever I want given that it has no big carbs like bread of any kind, pasta, noodles or rice in it. I often stick with what I cook for myself before going to bed every night.. and reheat that stuff all day: chicken breast.

I was doing Tim Ferris' 'Four Hour Body' for a few months, got some good cuts from it, but the monotony of the program was what took me away from it. Still, when you are wanting to lose weight and control your food, using a low carb approach and predictable daily meals does a great job of getting you to disassociate from food as something that you are using for anything other than to add nutrients to your system....which can be a very good thing when you have been a compulsive eater, like I was for many years. I have since moved on to adding many more colorful veggies to my diet, to make it more tasty and varied.

I've been reading up on this, a lot of professionals seem to recommend far less aerobic exercise than was previously said to be beneficial to weight loss. Instead, they say to invest more in HIIT, which involves explosive motion, like walking fast and doing a series of sprints for 20 minutes, instead of running for long periods of time, or doing lesser reps in the gym and replacing them with a few heavy explosive sets.

Yep, Anaerobic exercise is far more effective for weight loss, fat loss than aerobic exercise. Focus on explosive, compound movements.

• 9 months later...

I don't get involved much in the technical side of dieting but have followed Atkins with some success.

First two weeks very little carbs.

After this I plunge in with my own variations I have one very interesting one.

PORRIDGE OR OATS.

100grms are about 59 carbs

I use 20 grams it's a lot mixed with Soya milk and boiling water cooked in micro at 60% for 2 .30m sweeten to taste for breakfast also helps with my cholesterol.

Approx 12-15 carbs

Same recipe don't micro but add 2 eggs and Soya to mix NO WATER. Cook bacon, chicken, prawns or whatever spring onion in pan and add porridge mix.

Flip and cook two eggs to go with same.

APPROX 15 carbs

Really fills you up sometimes I cant eat all so full

how big (cup) is 20 grams ?

Yep, Anaerobic exercise is far more effective for weight loss, fat loss than aerobic exercise. Focus on explosive, compound movements.

An old thread revived again but an interesting subject. Absolutely no way is anaerobic exercise better for fat loss than aerobic exercise. You can easily do aerobic exercise every day. You can't do HIIT often without severely overtraining. HIIT proponents are claiming "afterburn" is what is stripping the fat. I believe afterbun is wildly exaggerated to pamper to the people with little time or inclination to train.

Take the middle road for fat loss. Train at MAF (maximum aerobic function) which is approximately 180 minus your age - and burn the most calories the most comfortable way and enjoy it.

I think as you get older resistance training is more important than aerobic training. As you get older you lose muscle mass so it makes sense to try and keep your muscle mass up.

In any case you get a bit of aerobic exercise if you do your weight training quickly enough.

Having said that you shouldnt be doing exercise to lose weight. If you eat a good wholesome diet I guarantee you wont be fat even if you are not an athelete.

Most of us agree that low carb or Atkins diet works to some degree. Each person is different. There is a book out 2009 that explains the cave man evolution to our present day and health problems. Its called "Primal Body, Primal Mind" and spells out life changes for better health.

I had to order the book special here in Patters but no extra cost etc.

just google this and get interested....

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=oEhLhqZjddg

Edited by threelegcowboy

I think as you get older resistance training is more important than aerobic training. As you get older you lose muscle mass so it makes sense to try and keep your muscle mass up.

In any case you get a bit of aerobic exercise if you do your weight training quickly enough.

Having said that you shouldnt be doing exercise to lose weight. If you eat a good wholesome diet I guarantee you wont be fat even if you are not an athelete.

You absolutely should be exercising to lose fat (and to stay healthy). It's the only way you'll ever be able to eat normally while maintaining a healthy bodyweight once you're reached your target. If you don't stimulate your metabolism with exercise, as soon as you eat it will pile straight back on quickly. You'll be destined to restrict calories forever if you don't exercise.

Do it gradually with a good diet and lots of exercise. Most importantly for anyone over 40, test blood sugar levels to ascertain one's level of insulin resistance. Most inactive people who eat badly will have developed insulin resistance. If a person's gut is starting to protrude, it's almost a certainty as this is where excess fat is deposited when blood sugar is not controlled.

Aerobic work is resistance too. Most cardio machines increase resistance in order to increase the heart rate. For example, when I use the stationary bike, Concept 2 rower or Cybex Arc trainer I'm averaging around 200 watts.That's a lot of resistance work. That's a far better workout than most weight training that older people would do. Better for the heart, better for the circulation and better for fitness.

Some exercises have very limited benefit in terms of resistance training, such as walking or treadmill. Swimming has the limitations of not developing skeletal strength.

Edited by tropo

Most of us agree that low carb or Atkins diet works to some degree. Each person is different. There is a book out 2009 that explains the cave man evolution to our present day and health problems. Its called "Primal Body, Primal Mind" and spells out life changes for better health.

I had to order the book special here in Patters but no extra cost etc.

This is a great theory if you believe you evolved from cave dwellers.

Basing a theory on a theory is not science, just another form of religion which requires belief in an idea.

Personally I don't prescribe to the whole "Paleo diet" idea. To go any further with this would mean discussing religious beliefs which I would prefer not to here.

The one important point you did make is "each person is different". Certainly people with insulin resistance should limit carbohydrate intake.

What I see extremely often with atikins/any keto diet is its a yoyoers dream. Your on it steadily for a week or so and its true you can eat whatever you want in that time period and you will probly see a bit of weight gain and then followed by a sudden weight loss of probly about 5-7 lbs maybe more if your massive. This 5-7lbs is water and glycogen. This is not fat. If you eat a potato and drink some water in the morning you will be back at the same exact weight.

Besides for extremely minute and inconsequential differences every diet bulk/cut comes down to calories. If your trying to lose weight and your body is using 2500 a day to maintain, cut that to 2000. You can eat 2000 calories worth of bacon and you WILL lose weight. People will continue to spew this paleo, keto garbage as long as there's willing readings with wallets.

You absolutely should be exercising to lose fat (and to stay healthy). It's the only way you'll ever be able to eat normally while maintaining a healthy bodyweight once you're reached your target. If you don't stimulate your metabolism with exercise, as soon as you eat it will pile straight back on quickly. You'll be destined to restrict calories forever if you don't exercise.

Do it gradually with a good diet and lots of exercise. Most importantly for anyone over 40, test blood sugar levels to ascertain one's level of insulin resistance. Most inactive people who eat badly will have developed insulin resistance. If a person's gut is starting to protrude, it's almost a certainty as this is where excess fat is deposited when blood sugar is not controlled.

Aerobic work is resistance too. Most cardio machines increase resistance in order to increase the heart rate. For example, when I use the stationary bike, Concept 2 rower or Cybex Arc trainer I'm averaging around 200 watts.That's a lot of resistance work. That's a far better workout than most weight training that older people would do. Better for the heart, better for the circulation and better for fitness.

Some exercises have very limited benefit in terms of resistance training, such as walking or treadmill. Swimming has the limitations of not developing skeletal strength.

We have had this discussion before but all things being equal diet is more important than exercise.

With a healthy diet you will naturally be active.

However overtime a poor diet will not be completely offset by excercise no matter how active you are.

Get the diet right and you will do the exercise anyway.

Further when there are times through illness or a schedule that doesnt allow much exercise, or even old age then the habits of good diet will carry you through these times.

We have had this discussion before but all things being equal diet is more important than exercise.

With a healthy diet you will naturally be active.

However overtime a poor diet will not be completely offset by excercise no matter how active you are.

Get the diet right and you will do the exercise anyway.

Further when there are times through illness or a schedule that doesnt allow much exercise, or even old age then the habits of good diet will carry you through these times.

Sorry to disagree, but if a person is too lazy to get off their butt to exercise, no diet in the world will get them started... and even more so with you trying your best to convince them that exercise is not important for losing fat.

Laziness is more than just a diet issue - it's a state of mind. Better to develop some willpower and drive. The effort of getting up to exercise gives motivation to eat better.

I eat a good diet, but getting out to exercise still requires a lot of mental effort. It doesn't come naturally. It never has and I've been at it (gym) for 36 years - eating well and exercising. If I waited for the natural urge to exercise I'd either be dead by now or weighing 400 lbs.

Both a good diet AND exercise are important - equally.

Edited by tropo