New train line set to transform Korat to Khon Kaen connections

webfact

New train line set to transform Korat to Khon Kaen connections

5pm.jpg

Picture Thai Rath

A new dual track train line is set to transform the lower north east of Thailand with faster and more convenient connections between Nakorn Ratchasima and Khon Kaen.

The Jira Junction to Khon Kaen line will be open for the public by March next year.

Thai Rath printed some details of the new line yesterday.

It will be 187 kilometers long and is set to be finished on Feb 18th 2019.

The cost is 23,400 million baht.

It runs from Jira Junction that is the diverging point for existing tracks to Nong Khai and Ubon Ratchathani.

The line will run into Khon Kaen - the last 5 kilometers will be elevated (10 meters up) leading to a two story station that will be the biggest and first of its kind in Khon Kaen. Ticket hall will be downstairs with shops and upstairs will be the trains.

There will be 18 stations in total on the line - when the first 9 are completed the service will be tested.

Journey times between Korat and Khon Kaen will be cut from 3 hours at present to 1 hour 20 minutes.

Passengers between the two cities are expected to rise from 2 million a year to 10 million.

Train speeds will be faster than those at present - they are expected to be 100-120 kmph.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-04-04

2 hours ago, tebee said:

Is this the current line upgraded and double tracked or a new line ?

in the city a new elevated line has been built.twin track with the old line alongside it still being used at the moment  in the country i believe they are just building a second line on the flat  one good thing, it should get rid of some of the many level crossings in Khon Kaen

1 hour and 20 minutes stopping at 18 stations. As the crow flies it's about 180 km. between the two. So on average stopping every 10 km. I'm not a mathematician so how fast will this train have to travel to do the journey in the said time. Slow down, stop, gain speed and repeat 17 times being that the 18th is the end destination. 1hr 20 min. Possible?

Never ridden a train here.  Are there different services now?  Like 1 train that stops at all stations, on up to an express that only stops at larger cities?   Japan is the only train-centric place I've lived, and I just remember the Black, Red and Green trains.

10 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Never ridden a train here.  Are there different services now?  Like 1 train that stops at all stations, on up to an express that only stops at larger cities?   Japan is the only train-centric place I've lived, and I just remember the Black, Red and Green trains.

The official train web site, all routes and you can buy tickets:  https://www.thairailwayticket.com/eTSRT/default.aspx?language=1

A great site that explains the routes and timetables: https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

• 10 months later...

Here is an update to this story from last year. Today, 19/2/2019, the new 'high speed train' debuted on national tv. For a moment we thought we were seeing things, but no, the '100-120 kph train' looks suspiciously like one of the old dilapidated  engines towing a line of the old dilapidated cars, and looked to be zipping along at about 20 kph on the elevated track. WOW cannot wait to cut that travel time in half.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the "new' railway station is open yet or are they still using the temporary one behind Tesco Lotus?  I have searched the internet but can find no info as to whether the new station is open. I am heading up to Nong Khai/Vientiane next week and I do not want to head to the out of town temporary station in error.  Thanks.

Archived