How to say block

EricTh

Try to avoid accusing someone, people are easily upset by it. If someone is blocking your way you ask them to give way: ขอทางหน่อยครับ 

What do you mean by “block him from going there”? If you have the power to stop him you use ผมห้ามเขาไป or ไม่ให้เขาไป or สั่งไม่ให้เขาไป 

If you mean to put obstacles in the way like a chair for example: วางเก้าอี้ขวาง . 

There is also the possiblity of making it difficult for him to go, keeping him talking until it is too late for example, in which you would need to describe why and how.  The reason could be as simple as, ไม่อยากให้เขาไป. 

14 hours ago, tgeezer said:

What do you mean by “block him from going there”? If you have the power to stop him you use ผมห้ามเขาไป or ไม่ให้เขาไป or สั่งไม่ให้เขาไป 

If you mean to put obstacles in the way like a chair for example: วางเก้าอี้ขวาง . 

It's more like person B blocking person C purposely in the following scenarios

1.exit a train or car

2. exit the house (family dispute etc)

3. going into a lane to disappear.

Person A asking person B to block person C from doing the actions above.

Person A isn't the one blocking person C.

Again it depends on relationships to some extent. What would you say in English? 

If it is “block him!” I don’t know it. I would look at football for something like that.

How I would put it, if not completely wrong, is probably too formal, ย่าปลอยให้เขาลบหนี/แอบในซอย don’t let him hide. (In the soi)  

ย่าปล่อยให้เขาลง (from a train) 

Maybe ขัดขวางสี่ might work if the second person knows what the third person is going to do, this might be a phrase to suggest to a native speaker in order to get what you need. 

just for fun, won’t help you on BKK BTS, but in south we say บ้ง

any sitaution to be used exactly like you are asking, to block a path, block a view.

It’s a bit rude and direct for people you don’t know, but would be used like “อย่าบ้ง” nothing more needs be said, context of sitation would cause the blocker to be aware of what they are blocking.

As for standard Thai, can’t help you with the word.

p.s. you are not going to find บ้ง in the dictionary :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

บัง is in the dictionary, it seems to be the word we are after.  

It is a verb similar to กัน, กั้น, or ปิดไม่ให้เห็น, ไม่ให้ผ่าน, ไม่ให้โดน เช่น  บังแดด, บังฝน, บังลม, and the clincher; ยืนบัง = ยืนบังไม่ให้ผ่าน ! Stand in the way. 

So try บังสิ่! To a second person telling him to impede a third person.

When I checked google translate it gave back ‘bong’ so figured it was not standard. sorry mistaken! it is standard then... I’m pretty far south here, sometimes hard for me to know what is standard and what is regional here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 9:32 AM, surfdog said:

just for fun, won’t help you on BKK BTS, but in south we say บ้ง

any sitaution to be used exactly like you are asking, to block a path, block a view.

It’s a bit rude and direct for people you don’t know, but would be used like “อย่าบ้ง” nothing more needs be said, context of sitation would cause the blocker to be aware of what they are blocking.

As for standard Thai, can’t help you with the word.

p.s. you are not going to find บ้ง in the dictionary :)

So this is the most common slang for 'blocking'? Bong..

7 hours ago, surfdog said:

as corrected above, it is not slang or regional.  And pronounced 'Bang' british A, not American A.  Pronounced a lot like 'dang'   loud

Transliterating to 'bung' removes any variation in how you pronounce 'bang'

1 hour ago, digbeth said:
9 hours ago, surfdog said:

as corrected above, it is not slang or regional.  And pronounced 'Bang' british A, not American A.  Pronounced a lot like 'dang'   loud

Transliterating to 'bung' removes any variation in how you pronounce 'bang'

Unfortunately not.  The vowel sound in "bung" in RP is /ʌ/.  However, in Australian English it's /ɐ/.  In Singapore English it's /ä/.  In Welsh English it's /ə/ or /ɜ/.  In Canadian and American English dialects it can be /ʌ̈/.

Interestingly, not a single one of these corresponds to the Thai sound which is /a/.

On 4/4/2018 at 4:25 PM, tgeezer said:

Try to avoid accusing someone, people are easily upset by it. If someone is blocking your way you ask them to give way: ขอทางหน่อยครับ 

Though they might think you are begging them for some money. 555

13 hours ago, Fish Head Soup said:

I hope that you don’t mind me pointing out that they are different words ทาง or สตางค์?  There is a big difference in the sound of ท and ต, (t and dt)

Another similar word is ขอทาน which is ‘to beg’. Actually that is probably what you meant.

However my thought process might be useful to know; สตางค์ is often shortened to ตางค์ so begging for money could be ขอตางค์  

18 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I hope that you don’t mind me pointing out that they are different words ทาง or สตางค์?  There is a big difference in the sound of ท and ต, (t and dt)

Another similar word is ขอทาน which is ‘to beg’. Actually that is probably what you meant.

However my thought process might be useful to know; สตางค์ is often shortened to ตางค์ so begging for money could be ขอตางค์  

I don't mind at all. Yes I'm well aware of all of the above. My point was that if you are still in the more embryonic stages of learning then your attempts may be confused for something else. It was of course a joke, and not one for serious analysis.

Sorry.  The original post asked how to say something in Thai, presumably in order to say it to a Thai person, I suggested a phase which you suggested “they” might misunderstand. Was I wrong to take ‘they’ to be a pronoun for Thai people?   

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

I สตางค์ is often shortened to ตางค์ so begging for money could be ขอตางค์  

actually it's shortened to ตังค์

which makes it less likely to be confused with ทาง

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

actually it's shortened to ตังค์

which makes it less likely to be confused with ทาง

Thanks, I suspected that it was said short, in fact I checked Longdo by typing in ตางค์ and saw สตางค์ , I should have tried ตังค์ . 

Mistakes are the finest memory tool. 

On 4/27/2018 at 5:16 PM, Oxx said:

Unfortunately not.  The vowel sound in "bung" in RP is /ʌ/.  However, in Australian English it's /ɐ/.  In Singapore English it's /ä/.  In Welsh English it's /ə/ or /ɜ/.  In Canadian and American English dialects it can be /ʌ̈/.

Interestingly, not a single one of these corresponds to the Thai sound which is /a/.

rusty on my IPA, but yeah, as I was thinking about some English word that ryhmes with บัง I could not not think of a single one.  In this case not for you Oxx ( you obviously know )  but anybody else, just go to https://translate.google.com/#en/th/บัง and click the speaker icon, it will say the word for you.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:25 PM, Fish Head Soup said:

YES!  I'm not shy to say that my pronunciation could easily come off as begging. Guess it depends on how I'm dressed that day.

Surely when considering how to say vowels in any language is to make sure that it can't be mistaken for another vowel. บัง Bang บิง bing บึง beung บุง boong; how is it possible to say บัง wrongly?  *The accent may be wrong but the meaning is clear, it takes only one correction by a native speaker to correct that. 

Edit: *The accent may be different from a Thai native but they are no more likely to point it out than I would point out that an American is saying 'bath' differently. 

Archived