Restaurant Reviews

Doisaketmoobaan

Ok, I'm beginning to turn green from all the parsley talk.. :o

Just wanted to mention that I've now visited both Salsa Kitchen and Upper Crust. Thanks for redommending those!!! Indeed both have their merits.. I wrote a short review on both at the food site below. Wanted to try Burrito house as well but they open at 3pm... Bit strange really, but I'll go there for dinner sometime.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a traditional Pommie (only on Sunday that is) I like a succulent roast lunch with the usual, roast beef/lamb/pork, Yorkshire puddings, crispy roast potatoes, fresh green (not over cooked) vegetables and topped with homemade Bisto gravy...ahhhh!

Pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. I hear the Pub has a new manager who has upgraded the Sunday lunches so might just give it a go today. Will report back later.

cm boy

I hear the Pub has a new manager

It would need one too, as the last time I was there the whole place was very forgetable (particularly the food)

It has never been the same since Nai and Peter moved out.

Based on my last visit they could put a bulldozer through the place and turn it into a car park.

p.s. and forget the bullsiht about one of the "worlds best bars" A bar / restaurant is as good as your last visit....................

... and especially after it changed owners like, oh, 4 times or so since it was named 'best bar'... Chiang Mai didn't HAVE that many bars back then. :o If it gets a little more of a crowd in then I'd say The Bear's Den has a shot at becoming the best bar in CHiang Mai by far. But it just needs that 'vibe' that can only come from more (repeat) visitors.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Just popped into The Pub last night for their Friday evening 2-for-1 happy hour, 5-8pm. The new manager is a Brit named Graham or Graeme, really likeable sort. He seems pretty intent on putting The Pub back on the map, don't know whether he can do it or not, but he had a decent crowd last night, not just old codgers either.

Apparently the business is owned by three partners, while the property itself belongs to a wealthy, reclusive Thai living on the land next door. Lots of people have offerred to buy the land from the Thai owner -- it must be worth bags of money considering the location -- but he's not at all interested in selling.

Good points include the fact that there's plenty of off-street parking, and that it's set well back off the road, so you don't get the road noise many pubs in Chiang Mai do. Servers are friendly and efficient. I didn't try the food, haven't eaten there since a Xmas eve dinner around five years ago(when a German named Markus was managing the place, as I recall).

My conclusion was it's a pretty good spot to meet friends for a drink. Might not be the first choice for someone flying solo, but then few bars or pubs in this town really are (girlie bars excepted, if that's your thing).

Edited by sabaijai

Oh yes, I also went to The Bear's Den.  I've seen a few posts by the owner/operator of the place around the Thaivisa board and he's dropped the link to his website, but he hasn't yet said "Hey, here I am, check out my awesome bar/restaurant".  I have to say it looks VERY impressive, perhaps THE most impressive looking foreign/tourist/expat aimed bar in Chiang Mai.  It has a river front terrace, nice wooden interior, aircon (though not always in operation) BIG bar, now all it needs is customers... :-), big menu, strange prices (some very friendly, others a bit high). It's located just North of the big Rim Ping condo at Nakorn Ping Bridge.   

The place looks absolutely awesome, now all it needs is customers... :-)  But I'll definitely propose it to friends as a good venue to go see the Euro 04 football and/or Formula 1 races.

Cheers,.

Chanchao

"Hey, here we are, check out our awesome bar/restaurant"

Thanks to chanchao for the kind words, and for allowing me the opportunity to expand upon the features of The Bear's Den. I held off replying earlier because when the first rains started we had a bit of roof/ceiling damage thanks to some wonderful workmanship (TIT), which was embarassing and limited our facilities somewhat.

All is now restored and thoroughly tested so we are back to full strength and firing on all cylinders.

The Bear's Den has five partners, me (presently involuntarily leisured and hence with time on my hands to write this), and I am an Consulting Engineer on the International Project scene (and was Project Manager for the design and re-construction). The others are an International Hotelier, a UK businessman, a Budget Controller for a multi national Contractor, and Dave, mein host and the manager of the bar. Dave previously spent 8 years managing pubs in Hong Kong. We have a long term lease on the property and hence the reason we have put a lot of thought, effort and expense in developing a first class hostelry in Chiang Mai for local expats, Thai's and visitors alike. With a Managing Partner running the place full time, and four other very patient partners not looking for a fast buck or a living out of the place, we hope to have created the foundation of a comfortable, steady, professionally managed establishment.

For old hands of Chiang Mai, The Bear's Den was formerly The River Deli which we took over last November. We have totally revamped the place with the objective of creating an all year round pub/bar environment. We have an outside garden terrace with it's own bar, and for the inclement weather this time of year, a full service BIG bar in a comfortable air conditioned environment. Bi fold doors across tthe entire river frontage side of the bar are opened weather/guests permitting. To pick up on chanchao's point about "aircon (though not always in operation)", this is/was a case of your damned if you, and damned if you don't. Some customers only want to sit outside but want to feel they are still 'in' the pub, others want the aircon environment (me included), so who do you please?

We have now a compromise solution - IF the weather is too hot/clammy, total aircon all doors closed, IF cooler, no aircon doors opened, IF ha sip ha sip (50/50), centre doors to the terrace open, aircon on. As a general rule aircon is on at lunchtimes 12 noon to 3.00pm and ON from 6.00pm - this seems to be working well!

The food fare is generally traditional pub/english with 'Toad In The Hole', 'Home made Cottage Pie, Beer Battered Fish and chips, and good old 'Bangers and Mash' as some of our more popular menu items. We also serve Thai food, and we have a 'Kids Menu', and we cook our own Pizza's fresh on the premises. Traditiona Sunday Roasts are back on the menu having been suspended because of our rain damage problems. To pick up on anothe of chanchao's points "strange prices (some very friendly, others a bit high)", chanchao has explained, and we are making tthe necessary changes in presentation/value for money.

Another of chanchao's points "now all it needs is customers... :-)", we are steadily seeing more new faces every day but we couldn't agree with chanchao more - the more the merrier. Chanchao has already mentioned the BIG Screen Projection TV on which this month we are showing ALL Euro 2004 games, the Rugby and Formula One...(with sound!), and all other Live sporting events as scheduled. We are also looking into the possibility of a better satellite service for Cricket, Super 12's, Aussie rules etc. Apart from the Sports we have also introduced some of what we hope will be more 'pubby' features such as FREE Bingo on Wednesdays, an Accumulator on Thursdays, Charity draws Fridays & Saturdays, all with CASH prizes. During Euro 2004 we are also running a Predictor Game to make it all the more interesting. If we also have a few crooners in on no particular night, we also get out the radio mikes for a bit of impromtu Karaoke!

I think I've more than used up the space here, details of everything mentioned above including menu's, prices, map, car parking etc., etc., can be found on our web site the address of which is in my signature.

Cheers, Chok Dee and, hope to see you soon at The Bear's Den!!!

Forgot to mention also that Mondays - House spirits are 50Baht ALL NIGHT, Wednesday nights is Ladies Night (free drinks for the ladies on house draught, wines & spirits as well as the FREE Bingo for CASH prizes), Thursday AND Fridays is 2 for 1 7.00pm to 9.00pm

It is Dave's intention to show all games Thai police permitting. Our licence is until 2.00am so we are looking at a 3.30am ish finish for the 1.45am starts. To date they have not bothered us if we have stayed open late perhaps because we are not in the Loh Kroh area, and set back from the road we are not so 'visible'. IF the police show up Dave has a few 'strategies' to try to fend them off.

As for me? I'll be tucked up in bed!!!

Been to the Bears Den a couple of times, good food friendly staff.

Had sunday roast at The Pub three times, not bad at all.

For a nice thai nosh in superb surroundings and live music every night try the restaurant at Banwangtan, off the Hangdong road.

The Bear's Den has five partners...., Managing Partner running the place full time,

We have an outside garden terrace with it's own bar,...

IF the weather is too hot/clammy, total aircon all doors closed,

The food fare is generally traditional pub/english ....and we cook our own Pizza's fresh on the premises. Traditiona Sunday Roasts

BIG Screen Projection TV

I guess the UK ex-pats in Chiang Mai have shown some "pattana charoen" since the Welshman first opened up his "Pit" many years ago.

Mr Bear

Sunday Roasts at The Bear's Den are back in full swing from next Sunday. If there is enough interest, Dave will also fire up the BBQ...

Enjoy

Have not seen those magic words, that many that use the Forum as an advertising forum, have uttered before you as yet?? :D

They are " Discount to all forum members" :o

CT

CT,

If you check the web site you will find details of social Membership to TBD. Registering entitles members to a 10% discount on F&B during normal hours with the exception of HH/Promotional activities which is not exclusive to anybody in particular - is that not fair? :o By registering as a social Member the card also carries a set of randomly generated Bingo numbers which you can play for FREE!.

We play this every Wednesday at 9.30pm for a bit of fun, and this week the pot is 3,000Bt. Even if you turn up on the night and don't have your permanent Members card yet, we will give you a temporary card which still entitles you to a discount on the night! More fairnesss!!!! :D:D:D

See you soon?

I hear the Pub has a new manager

It would need one too, as the last time I was there the whole place was very forgetable (particularly the food)

It has never been the same since Nai and Peter moved out.

Based on my last visit they could put a bulldozer through the place and turn it into a car park.

p.s. and forget the bullsiht about one of the "worlds best bars" A bar / restaurant is as good as your last visit....................

oh you are sooooo right. just breezed into town after some time away and heard about this farang forum so i thought i would check it out joined vup and then i saw your comments on the pub

very forgettable is the operative word, the food is <deleted> and you won't need a bulldozer, if it rains enough the place will float away. it's bad enough if you are in there when it rains - if you arre stupid enough to eat there the water pours down the walls in the restaurant, or if you are in the bar or need a piss you can go paddling. the place is supposedly 200 years old and looks it "quaint" i've heard people say. the joint is so riddled with termite it ain't so quaint if the upstairs comes crashing down around your ears

the owners/operators of thatt place keep pumping the "worlds best bars" bullshit which was a newsweek article back in the year dot (late 70's I think)

I might just stick me nose in there for old times sake to see iif they have actually improved anything. i might take me boat with me looks like rain tonight

the owners/operators of thatt place keep pumping the "worlds best bars" bullshit which was a newsweek article back in the year dot (late 70's I think)

If I remember correctly it was 1987

Considering that was 17 years ago, the numbers of owners / operators since then and the fact that it could have been just one big <deleted> hole the day following "Newseeks" visit (in 1987) if they ever did visit in fact (ya gotta remember TIT) the way people keep harping on about their one and only claim to fame is at best quite laughable. :D

There is a very oft used quotation "a restaurant is only as good as it was on your last visit" and this is particularly valid in Thailand.

If the boss is away the staff are likely to play. They (the staff) seem to forget that many customers are on more than nodding terms with the owner and that even in his/her absence reports are sure to filter back (constructive criticism)

:o

Considering that was 17 years ago, the numbers of owners / operators since then and the fact that it could have been just one big <deleted> hole the day following "Newseeks" visit (in 1987) if they ever did visit in fact (ya gotta remember TIT) the way people keep harping on about their one and only claim to fame is at best quite laughable. :D

There is a very oft used quotation "a restaurant is only as good as it was on your last visit" and this is particularly valid in Thailand.

If the boss is away the staff are likely to play. They (the staff) seem to forget that many customers are on more than nodding terms with the owner and that even in his/her absence reports are sure to filter back (constructive criticism)

:o

It is now 2004 ,I have been to the pub with a number of friends on a few occasions in the last couple of months.

The sunday roast was quite acceptable. Graham and the staff could not have been more hospitable.

It was pouring down outside, no problems inside(a comment from another post regarding running water inside)

Only downside, some people were smoking although they stopped when we asked them.

If you have been to pub recently and it was not acceptable then I can respect all comments, if you have not been since Graham ++ took over then please reserve your comments until you have tried it out.

Sushi anyone? have eaten at almost all Sushi places in Chiang mai nothing great until last night. We Tried Asahi around the corner from night bazaar same street as Piccollis italian next to Wine store

Even though the guy who seemed to be the owner, a japanese guy didnt even recognize our existence after dropping 1k baht for 2 as he was sucking up to the only 2 other customers 2 japanese tourists in the place. I must say it was the best sushi I have eaten in Chaing Mai. The Zen sushi place in central is good but a bit expensive!

check it out if you like sushi I might go again tonite ! :o -R

Its all about the food!!

> Even though the guy who seemed to be the owner, a japanese

> guy didnt even recognize our existence after dropping 1k baht

> for 2 as he was sucking up to the only 2 other customers 2

> japanese tourists in the place.

Sorry, just to clarify: The owner was a Japanese guy who was not very friendly? And it was your bill that came to around 1000 baht?

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Even though the guy who seemed to be the owner, a japanese

> guy didnt even recognize our existence after dropping 1k baht

> for 2 as he was sucking up to the only 2 other customers 2

> japanese tourists in the place.

Sorry, just to clarify: The owner was a Japanese guy who was not very friendly? And it was your bill that came to around 1000 baht?

Cheers,

Chanchao

yes :o

CT/JBG

on TBD Web site click 'News', click on any logo (e.g. Bingo), click on Members Card on the navigation bar where you will see a sample of the meembers card front and back with T&C to the side of the Bingo card - that's it - to join just turn up at TBD and see Dave about joining...

Considering that was 17 years ago, the numbers of owners / operators since then and the fact that it could have been just one big <deleted> hole the day following "Newseeks" visit (in 1987) if they ever did visit in fact (ya gotta remember TIT) the way people keep harping on about their one and only claim to fame is at best quite laughable.  :D

:D

It is now 2004 ,I have been to the pub with a number of friends on a few occasions in the last couple of months.

The sunday roast was quite acceptable. Graham and the staff could not have been more hospitable.

It was pouring down outside, no problems inside(a comment from another post regarding running water inside)

Only downside, some people were smoking although they stopped when we asked them.

If you have been to pub recently and it was not acceptable then I can respect all comments, if you have not been since Graham ++ took over then please reserve your comments until you have tried it out.

As I wrote earlier, I was just there last Friday. It was raining then, too, and I saw nary a leak in the place and there was no flooding outside that I could see.

Seeing as how dekdek is a newbie and this rant was his first post ever, I suspect a troll. Most likely someone owning a competing pub :o