Restaurant Reviews

Doisaketmoobaan

on TBD Web site click 'News', click on any logo (e.g. Bingo), click on Members Card on the navigation bar where you will see a sample of the meembers card front and back with T&C to the side of the Bingo card - that's it - to join just turn up at TBD and see Dave about joining

becoming a crusade this. :D

website is not exactly what you would call user friendly to say the least. Emphasis on bells and knobs that break and keep visitors away from the facts:-((

Guess the actual venue is not like that :o

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been to the Bears Den a couple of times, good food friendly staff.

Had sunday roast at The Pub three times, not bad at all.

For a nice thai nosh in superb surroundings and live music every night try the restaurant at Banwangtan, off the Hangdong road.

More specificity in directions, please...how far south? east or west of hangdong rd? how far east or west? a name or anything else to go by? It's sort of in my neighborhood, but I'm unfamiliar with it, being a new guy in the area. Thanks

Been to the Bears Den a couple of times, good food friendly staff.

Had sunday roast at The Pub three times, not bad at all.

For a nice thai nosh in superb surroundings and live music every night try the restaurant at Banwangtan, off the Hangdong road.

More specificity in directions, please...how far south? east or west of hangdong rd? how far east or west? a name or anything else to go by? It's sort of in my neighborhood, but I'm unfamiliar with it, being a new guy in the area. Thanks

From Chiangmai travelling towards Hangdong cross the traffic lights that has the new underpass below.

App. 1.5k you will see a large Sony sign to your right, almost directly opposite is a sharp left turn with signs above showing Banwangtan but more noticeably a Johnny Walker advert.

Follow the road bearing mostly left for about 2k you will come to a fork ,take the right and you will immediately see the entrance to BWT, follow the road until you see tennis courts on your left, first right and the restaurant is on your left.

Enjoy

Doisaket

have you been to the Japanese next to nang nual in nong hoi?

ct

the buffet place near the river? :o

CTG- ate at sushi rest last nite its all u can eat 290 baht for dinner very good. reminded me of Oishi in bangkok Excellent tip thank you\R :D

Same at lunchtime all you can eat, sushi,sashimi, teppan, tempura etc but it is only 210 baht- closes at 1.30 pm though. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I was in Chiang Mai last week and wanted to try the burger fare as recommended here, first I went to Filmore East at noontime, got a regular burger, fries and a beer. Very good.

Two days later went to the Mango Tree about 6:00 pm, ordered a standard burger, fries and a beer, both Filmore and Mango Tree were good but I will have to give the Mango the edge on this one and no it is not because of the Mango being air conditioned. :o

I am curious as to why you felt that the M.T was better than F.E. you did not give your reason, just "not because the MT was aircontitioned" was all you said. Was the food better?

• 3 weeks later...
I was in Chiang Mai last week and wanted to try the burger fare as recommended here, first I went to Filmore East at noontime, got a regular burger, fries and a beer. Very good.

Two days later went to the Mango Tree about 6:00 pm, ordered a standard burger, fries and a beer, both Filmore and Mango Tree were good but I will have to give the Mango the edge on this one and no it is not because of the Mango being air conditioned. :o

I am curious as to why you felt that the M.T was better than F.E. you did not give your reason, just "not because the MT was aircontitioned" was all you said. Was the food better?

Yes, I thought the burger and fries were tastier at the Mango Tree; price, beer, service and a/c was not an issue at either, to be fair let me say again that Filmore East was good as well and would visit either again.

Cheers

Frozen Waterfall on Kotchasarn Road, Soi 1, near Tha Pae Gate is most excellent. We ate there twice this week. Wonderful European food. The ambiance is quiet and subtle.

They make these Gorgonzola pockets that are phyllo dough filled with gorgonzola, then topped with an onion marmalade, which are to die for. Their steak is tasty too. Their stuffed red pepper with saffron rice and mild indian curry is very tasty. Nice all around. Dinner for 2 with appetizers and a drink was around 1,000 Baht. The owner is the cook, and she lived and cooked in San Francisco for 3 years in some fancy restaurant. Good stuff.

I would recommend this restaurant to everyone.

Tell them "HI" for Hilary and Don.

I went to the Mango Tree last night for dinner with my kids. Sorry to have missed p1p. Food was quite good. The the young man hosting was polite and professional. The two guys playing music were great, making the music complimentary to the dining. I had no problems with taking the kids to the Loi Kroh area. I'd take my Thai friends there if they were in the mood for some good Farang food and music.

Frozen Waterfall on Kotchasarn Road, Soi 1, near Tha Pae Gate is most excellent. We ate there twice this week. Wonderful European food. The ambiance is quiet and subtle.

Isn't it Frozen Fountain (rather thanWaterfall)? Anyway I've eaten there a couple of times, found the fusion cuisine to be excellent, and less expensive than The House.

If I have the right impression the owner of the Mango Tree reads this thread.

Would you please PM me with explicit directions to your establishment, using a major hotel as the starting point.

I have read nothing but good things about Mango Tree and would surely like to try it as I have yet to find a "home" restaurant.

Was taken by some tourists to Coq d 'Or this week and was very impressed by the grounds, decor, sparkling cutlery, attentive service and unremarkable food.

We all had Steak Diane, and while the filet was good, the sauce and everything else served to us on the set menu was unremarkable.

Would you please PM me with explicit directions to your establishment, using a major hotel as the starting point

Rydges or Amora as the start next to the moat.

Face the moat head off left past Thapae Road on the Left.

Past the Gate are. Past Spotlight Bar on the left.

Past about 3 more 'girl' bars.

At the corner of the next road. Loi Kroh walk fast or slow into LK :-)))

The Mango Tree is on the right after about 70 metres.

:o

Wow so mant great places to eat in Chiangmai. I love to eat!! I love Chanchaos reviews and after meeting all at Mango Tree I got lots of good info!! I forgot who told me but they had said that a New Buritto house opened at Rimping novotel.

Well Since I am addicted to Mexican food I was there next day here are my Impressions- :o

had a 49 baht taco and a 49 baht enchilada.not to impressed. but the pictures of all the food looked good!! Thats about the best part of it- the visual!!

I think it had 2 Thai owners as i saw them deliver some precooked food. I was really hoping to see a Farang owner as it probably would have been better if they knew the food

-as Thailand is a tad far from Mexico

My Estimate is 6 months until its closed.

Maybe i can buy the pretty pictures!!

I'm still on the hunt!!!-R

I eat there often. In my opinion its the best tasting mexican food in Chiang Mai. Proper beans. Tasty sauces. Sure it doesn't compare with the states, but I've tried many 'mexican' places here and the one in Rim Ping beats them all as far as I'm concerned.

If I have the right impression the owner of the Mango Tree reads this thread.

Would you please PM me with explicit directions to your establishment, using a major hotel as the starting point.

I have read nothing but good things about Mango Tree and would surely like to try it as I have yet to find a "home" restaurant.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Johpa, sorry to have missed you. I'm deeply involved in babysitting at present, 4 of them on holiday means work is cut out!

Easy directions:

Follow Thapae road to the end at Thapae Gate. Turn Left. (You have to anyway.)

You are now on Kodchasarn Road.

Follow Kodchasarn Road until you reach Loi Kroh Road. (Opposite the first moat crossing point after the one by Thapae Gate.)

(If you are in a car, it is normally best to carry on to the DK Book Center, park there and walk back to Loi Kroh.)

Mango Tree Cafe is on the right hand side, 5 or 6 doors up Loi Kroh Road. Look out for a green and yellow awning and cane furniture out front.

Opposite is a house set back frpm the road with a big tree in the garden. This sits at the end of a row of bars.

On last visit to C.M I tried to check out the Mango Tree (2 day visit) but kept getting held up in the Butterfly Bar which I was assured by the aforsaid travel experts (of the B.Bar) that it was just over the road?

However on reflection I may have made a mistake and refered to the "Green Mango"...

So what one is it?...next time...cheers :o