Public Taxis - Impressed by Organisation

On arrival recently I was very impressed by the way the taxi lines are organised at Swampy into three sections: Short Rides, Regular Taxis,  & Large Taxis. Unfortunately there was a massive queue for Regular but we were staying locally in Lat Krabang so went for the short ride option and got taken to our hotel immediately for 150 THB: no hassle from the driver who might have spent three hours in a queue waiting for a poxy fare and an 'acceptable' level of overcharging; I say this because it would have been less than 100 on the metre but .... what the hell? So well done to some one for sorting this out!

Fair comment but this was done by the booking desk and 150 baht off airport was ok. Previously I have been quoted ridiculous prices so I was happy to splurge!

On 08/04/2018 at 2:21 AM, wpcoe said:

Three sections?  Booking desk?  Did the public taxi queue get rid of the ticket machines?

No, the ticket machines are there for 'Regular' and 'Large' taxi queues, the 'Local' taxi queue goes to a desk.

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

This is certainly something relatively new having categories of ride and vehicle.

It's been like that for a few months now. The line moves quickly enough; Swampy is a well oiled machine compared to Don Quixote!

On 08/04/2018 at 2:21 AM, wpcoe said:

Did the public taxi queue get rid of the ticket machines?

The 'Regular' taxi queue leads to 3 of the ticket machines, the 'Large' taxi queue is allocated 1 ticket machine that only dispenses tickets for station wagon/SUV/people carrier vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2018 at 4:47 AM, Crossy said:

This is certainly something relatively new having categories of ride and vehicle.

I took a taxi yesterday. When I went through the taxi queue there were no Thai staff at all. You got yourself a queue number from the machine then walked over to your taxi.

It was very simple because there was nobody to mess it up. The drivers were all waiting by their cars with the boot open.

Well done AOT.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, mtls2005 said:

I too have been impressed. Arrived yesterday (17 April) ~ 15:30. Queue was ~ 100 people, got into my taxi within ~ 13 minutes. No issues with meter usage.

Did you ever consider going upstairs to the Live 4 departures area and getting a taxi that has just discharged passengers?

Queue: 0

Waiting time: 0

Airport service fee: 0

Also,  you can select the car and driver.

Archived