Road carnage: Now there are prizes for the best dash cam clips!

webfact

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm at a loss trying to understand how a dashcam competition can cause

more accidents, on the contrary, it will encourage people to have more

of them so road accidents will be fully documented and rouge behaviour

can be studied for better traffic management and solutions....

You jest. We are in LoS. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the police were on the road doing their job they wouldn't need such videos. Blind Freddy can see what the problems are, the main one being that the traffic police (at least in Chiang Mai) are absolutely useless. Nearly every day they man a roadside check opposite Maya Shopping Mall to check for not wearing a helmet or not having a licence, which achieves very little as regards reducing accidents. And there are no less than TEN policemen, including two officers sitting  at a desk collecting the loot, while LESS THAN 100 METERS AWAY is the busy Nimmanhaemin Road where chaos reigns supreme. Cars and motorbikes drive on the wrong side of the dividing double lines, motorbikes pass on the inside or outside or continuously weave in and out of the traffic, cars and bikes don't have turn their headlights on, parked motorbikes clog the disgraceful and dangerous cluttered sidewalks, and the police are noticeable by their absence, making no attempt whatsoever to control these transgressions. Might I suggest that FOUR policemen is more than enough to man a roadside check so that the other SIX could be relocated to do something effective in Nimmanhaemin Road. I think most motorbike riders got their driver's licence from a packet of Weeties and it has little bearing on their competence to ride.

2 minutes ago, Saladin said:

If the police were on the road doing their job they wouldn't need such videos. Blind Freddy can see what the problems are, the main one being that the traffic police (at least in Chiang Mai) are absolutely useless. Nearly every day they man a roadside check opposite Maya Shopping Mall to check for not wearing a helmet or not having a licence, which achieves very little as regards reducing accidents. And there are no less than TEN policemen, including two officers sitting  at a desk collecting the loot, while LESS THAN 100 METERS AWAY is the busy Nimmanhaemin Road where chaos reigns supreme. Cars and motorbikes drive on the wrong side of the dividing double lines, motorbikes pass on the inside or outside or continuously weave in and out of the traffic, cars and bikes don't have turn their headlights on, parked motorbikes clog the disgraceful and dangerous cluttered sidewalks, and the police are noticeable by their absence, making no attempt whatsoever to control these transgressions. Might I suggest that FOUR policemen is more than enough to man a roadside check so that the other SIX could be relocated to do something effective in Nimmanhaemin Road. I think most motorbike riders got their driver's licence from a packet of Weeties and it has little bearing on their competence to ride.

CM? That is Thailand-wide. 

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Off course! It´s illegal to not join the competition. 

I am waiting for the deluge ofdefamation suits that are sure to follow this public "outing" of these cretinous Thai drivers. Especially the Hi-Sos.

6 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I believe it will not be too long before new cars come fitted with dash cams and maybe some time in the distant future could become mandatory.

Strangely enough there are countries in the west where dashcams are illegal carrying heavy fines if caught with one!!  Austria, Germany, Switzerland and more.

The privacy laws have more clout.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

This "Buddhist" society, constantly claiming its high moral values has no respect for human lives. It is SICK to the bone in too many ways !

Thai society is Buddhist in name only. Ask the vast majority what rules it means they should live by and they wouldn't have a clue. Same as they don't have a clue what the monks chant, sometimes for hours on end, at their various gatherings. Clueless all round.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Oh God! Turning the whole thing into a competition for filming the best crashes? This is going to do nothing to quell the carnage, in fact it is more likely to encourage it.

I bet you are right! They will be getting their relatives to crash their cars while they film it - what a <deleted> stupid retarded idea, only in this land of smiling idiots.

8 hours ago, SkyNets said:

If the price money was collected from the driver at fault, this would "nearly" make sense. Amazing Thailand!

That's worth you writing to the sponsors and passing on your great idea.

I think it's marvelous.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Oh God! Turning the whole thing into a competition for filming the best crashes? This is going to do nothing to quell the carnage, in fact it is more likely to encourage it.

The only thing whats getting encourage is people getting dash cams.  so more proof after an accident. Its a good thing :smile:

9 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I am not at all convinced that this is remotely a good idea. We have sufficient idiocy on our roads already. Introducing a competition to film and make public gruesome shots of people being injured and killed, makes the whole thing feel like some sort of macabre sport.

...and the "new vdo-sheriffs" will chase the other id***s across red lights as shown in the "winning vdo" ?

If Accompanied by freedom of prosecution for defamation, this is a brilliant idea, further utilizing social media into shaming both the Thai people ( for any and all bad road behavior) and Thai police ( who’s job is being largely done by unpaid donors), as is the latest social trend.

seriously linking this to paying out on the promise to give whistleblowers part of any fines levied, and you have a vigilant system that may impact on the public

that said... it’s not a be all end all solution, but a building block, enabling public opinion to influence policy

and isolated incidents to line ones pocket... seriously?

OK, it may happen on very isolated occasions, but the concept of risking loss of life or damage to ones own property, in an attempt to maybe win some money, by committing a videoed crime, ... come on.

Undoubtedly time will tell, but the downside, imho, is very small to negligible, given the state of road safety, and scarcity of alternatives, in its current form.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same as they don't have a clue what the monks chant, sometimes for hours on end, at their various gatherings.

I'm sure the catholics understand all their church services...... in Latin!

4 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

In the first video she almost caused more carnage herself, a motorcycle and two cars almost got taken out by her trying to chase the pickup!

27 minutes ago, Dimebag said:

Great. Now people will follow reckless drivers hoping for some good footage, while speeding and driving dangerously themselves like the first video. Well done

That would be my worry.  So busy trying to film the crash, not paying attention, or driving slowly past to capture the carnage and creating extra rubbernecker traffic.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm at a loss trying to understand how a dashcam competition can cause

more accidents, on the contrary, it will encourage people to have more

of them so road accidents will be fully documented and rouge behaviour

can be studied for better traffic management and solutions....

Then watch the first vdo again !

17 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I'm sure the catholics understand all their church services...... in Latin!

I'm pretty sure that Catholics adhere more seriously to the rules of their religion than Buddhist Thais do, and certainly understand what those rules are.

The vast majority of drivers and riders and competition experts should be all deliveered to th psychiatric hospital and detained for a lengthy period of time because their brain function is considerably below par for the average human and should not be allowed to be near any of the vehicles mentioned - otherwise known as crazy *******

I noticed the grand prize winner failed to stop and render assistance. Instead went on a three minute chase of first a black pickup then a silver one running red lights on at least one occasion. 

11 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I am really annoyed with this thread , i read it and was so dissapointed ,where are the winning vids?:passifier:

The videos in the OP are the top 3 winning vids.   Can't you read?   

Archived