hernia operation

mohemsley

i have recently been diagnosed as having a hernia which will need micro / keyhole surgery.  memorial hospital say they can not do as i have had previous hernia operation and a prostectamy, bangkok pattaya hospital quoting silly money. can anyone recommend a  hospital in bangkok which is reasonably priced and good service.

Laparoscopic surgery (which is what "micro" or "keyhole" surgery is) always costs substantially more than open surgery. And might indeed not prove possible if you had prior surgery in the same area (there may be adhesions).

Even when they plan on laparascopic surgery they sometimes have to switch to open approach part way through (but in that scenario you'd still pay the higher price of laparoscopic surgery).

So if cost is a concern you might like to consider an open approach, it is really nto that bad and hospital stay is short.

For surgery in Bangkok suggest St Louis hospital on Sathorn.

Open hernia surgery, agree, hospital stay may be short, but recovery at home perhaps 2-4 weeks afterwards.  I've had two, both done at the old Bangkok Nursing Home, the 2-story wood buildings (Great!!), 1983 and other side in 1990.  No idea what was the cost then, but that'd not matter now.

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

I have indirect bilateral hernias.  With the diagnosis, preoperative work-ups and surgical fees, the cost range is from 250,000 - 485,000 baht in May 2018.  This is for a government hospital and a private hospital.  The same operation, open inguinal hernia surgery, in the US can be had for $3,800. (The Thais double the price for foreigners, even if you are here on a retirement visa!)  Think about have the operation done in the US before coming to Thailand!

2 hours ago, SeaBorn13 said:

I have indirect bilateral hernias.  With the diagnosis, preoperative work-ups and surgical fees, the cost range is from 250,000 - 485,000 baht in May 2018.  This is for a government hospital and a private hospital.  The same operation, open inguinal hernia surgery, in the US can be had for $3,800. (The Thais double the price for foreigners, even if you are here on a retirement visa!)  Think about have the operation done in the US before coming to Thailand!

I should say so,here is a bit cheaper than US,open the page up (Medifee,hernia) there are dozens of hospitals about the same price range  Facebook/google them  see what their performances are    Just halve the amount you see will be approx. figure for baht

Hernia Surgery by All Asia Medical Institute

Variant: Umbilical Hernia - Open Surgery - General ward Rs. 35000.00

Variant: Umbilical Hernia - Laparoscopic Surgery - General ward Rs. 40000.00
Variant: Umbilical Hernia - Open Surgery - Semi Private ward Rs. 42000.00
Variant: Umbilical Hernia - Laparoscopic Surgery - Semi Private ward Rs. 48000.00
Variant: Umbilical Hernia - Open Surgery - Private ward Rs. 50000.00
Variant: Umbilical Hernia - Laparoscopic Surgery - Private ward Rs. 55000.00

4 hours ago, SeaBorn13 said:

There is something wrong with the quotes you received.

Usual cost for an open hernia repair in a government hospital is 20,000 - 30,000. If 2 separate procedures, then total still not more than 60,000. There is no way this can reach to 250,000 at a government hospital. Was this possibly a private channel rather than a  public channel of a government hospital?

At a private hospital, open repair can be done for 100 - 150K. Are you sure the quote you have is for open and not laparoscopic?

And not all hospitals charge foreigners more than Thais. And certainly most do not double the price.

Please advise where in Thailand you are and I will suggest where to go to get this done at normal price.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is an update on the cost of my bilateral hernia surgery.  The cost was higher due to the fact that I had a Transient Ischemic Attack and had to spend 2 days in ICU after the surgery.  Total cost including a cat scan and ICU was 212,000 baht.  I had the surgery done at SDM Center by Dr. Kanit.  He trained in England and is knowledgeable and professional. 

41 minutes ago, SeaBorn13 said:

Here is an update on the cost of my bilateral hernia surgery.  The cost was higher due to the fact that I had a Transient Ischemic Attack and had to spend 2 days in ICU after the surgery.  Total cost including a cat scan and ICU was 212,000 baht.  I had the surgery done at SDM Center by Dr. Kanit.  He trained in England and is knowledgeable and professional. 

What/where i SDM Center? India?

Archived