Living In Chiang Rai

tom_a

:D Sorry, I was not aware that I was, and may be am, ruining your day.....I am just helping people who love Chiang Rai as much as I do. After all that why we all live in Chiang Rai, right? :D

Oh, the drama!

Why not just say whether or not you are associated with Pheon? Yes? No?

Promoting your own interests here is not up to me .. although we see a few others doing so .. but credibility becomes an issue .. for all those who love Chiang Rai. :o

You are right klikster the Phoeny Group appears to be about promotion of its own services. If the company such as the massage, hire car, resturant pays a fee they will get promoted on the site? No recommendations as yet on the site.

Nothing there that really tells you about Chiang Rai? I had a look and cant see a positive feel to the site? Also has no names to it, that is directors/employees.

If there is an interest in this company by a poster on this thread then the comments should be removed to the classifyed section of TV.

But apart form my 2 bobs on the above, Chiang Rai is a beautiful and warm place that is shown by the people that live there. You are made to feel welcome, and this can be in most parts of the town. The fact that I try to speak Thai is well tolerated.

I was buying a heater for winter and went into a department store. My thai is very limited. I got what I needed with the help of a few others in the shop and my mobile back to my wife (Thai Speaking). Even though langauge can be a barrier at times I always found the people in Chiang Rai to be very patient. (This can also be said of most parts of Thailand, but up in the North sometimes English is limited.

I think that the purpose of a forum such as this is for members to recommend businesses that they have used personally rather than those that they expect some sort of financial or personal gain from.

We've had problems in the past with people touting their personal wares and I think any private advertising should be done through the correct channels; unless of course it's providing a community service.

But apart form my 2 bobs on the above, Chiang Rai is a beautiful and warm

Did somebody say WARM? Definitely haven't been outside the last couple of day have you.

........it's also cold inside... :o .....unless you have a heater

Cost of living in Chiang Rai was a lot cheaper that what it was in Bangkok. Nine years ago, you could go to the local market with 50 baht, buy everything you needed and still have some change in your hands. Not anymore. Cost of living has gone up - but so has the cost of everything.

Lots more traffic now and more difficult to find parking space. Which is why I bicycle more often.

What brought me here was Bangkok. I could no longer live in that concrete jungle. Too many wild animals with drugs. No place that was green where the kids could run. No air to breathe.

Give me Chiang Rai anytime. (Statement holds for the next 5 years).

Don't care much for interaction with other expats because they tend to whine more about their difficulties - instead of integrate with the people that hosts them.

Would anyone like to discuss what brought them to decide on living in northern Thailand and how life has been for them? I've looked at the pictures and seen just how beautiful it is in Chiang Rai and consider each of you very fortunate to be able to wake up to such sights. What are the bonuses and drawbacks for an expat living in Chiang Rai? Is housing costs as reasonable there as the rest of Thailand? What is the daily interaction like for expats? Are the costs of foods and things reasonable? Do you plan on staying there for the rest of your life?

Thanks

Tom

• 7 months later...

Nice to read this topic and posts.

I 'd like to live in Thailand for about 1/2 year, and right from the beginning I was attracted by CR. Right now I am trying to find more info about organic food, acupuncture and soothing massagetherapies. But I'm sure once I am there, it is only matter of asking around

Oh, by the way, the only thing what really bothers me is that musquitos and Denguethings like wetty places like ricefields. Chiang Rai is pretty surrounded by them, right? :o

PS

Chownah: "In Chiangrai there are leeches and they suck your blood!!!!!! Really there are and really they do!!"

Chowah, you mean leeches in the river, not people, correct? :D

Edited by Soulwy

Chownah: "In Chiangrai there are leeches and they suck your blood!!!!!! Really there are and really they do!!"

Chowah, you mean leeches in the river, not people, correct? :o

When I lived there, I saw more of the latter than the former ..

.. but I didn't do much river wading or rice planting. :D

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also thinking of moving elswhere, Chiang Rai, Phayao or Chiang Khong are areas that I would like to know more before making my decision. I am currently staying in Pattaya, and get a bit sick here as people are rude and things are expensive here.

I would like to know which area has more chinese, and also chinese culture like karaoke, and also any thai language school around which I can get a 1 year ed visa? Some one told me that Chiang Khong and across the border to Laos have many chinese. How cold can it get in cr at year end?

Veterans and whoever knows pls advice.

I am also thinking of moving elswhere, Chiang Rai, Phayao or Chiang Khong are areas that I would like to know more before making my decision. I am currently staying in Pattaya, and get a bit sick here as people are rude and things are expensive here.

I would like to know which area has more chinese,

Doi Mae Salong

Why did I come to chiang rai ? I was told that if I came I would never leave and 5 years later I am still here. Its not BKK or Pattaya or Phuket , 3 good reasons already for being here.

Mountains, scenery is great . The northern food is also very good. Its not as cheap as what it used to be to live here but still afforable if your on a low budget.

The bordering countries of Myanmar and Laos are near and you can fly direct to BKK , or even if you go to Chang Mai , you can fly to China and Malaysia as well as a few other places.

If you want to go to a real beach it will take you about 4 hours to get there , eg, pattaya or Cha-Am .

Expats are ok , tend to meet at a bar or 2 in town . Lots of golf around the area if your into that .

Immigration for border runs etc is only 1 hour away . Possibly a big reason why so many westerners are living here now compared to 5 years ago .

Down points.

Traffic is getting more busy . The smoke and smog - Terrible in the months of March - May when they burn EVERYTHING.

Not a lot of Falang (western food ) available in Big C or Tesco Lotus , we could do with a big shop with all the goodies from home like they have in BKK.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Klikster, besides Salong, I heard that Chieng Khong is also full of chinese, and across the bridge to Laos, also have very strong chinese culture, there are the decendents of the late KMD from china. Also, are there chinese in Mae Sai?

KMT (Koumintang) occupied Mae Salong, Doi Wawi and some areas near Phuchifah. Some of the soldiers intermarried with tribal people which is one reason many tribal people in Mae Salong (whether they be Lahu, Akha or Lisu) are conversant in Chinese.

Thanks Klikster, besides Salong, I heard that Chieng Khong is also full of chinese, and across the bridge to Laos, also have very strong chinese culture, there are the decendents of the late KMD from china. Also, are there chinese in Mae Sai?

• 1 year later...

I also want to move to Chiang Rai for golf. What is the membership fee and round fee?

Mike

I decided to move to Chiang Mai for two reasons:

Santiburi Golfcourse and Waterford Walley Golfcourse.

The rest is a bonus!

:o:D :D

Waterford 1500 baht first year and then 1000 baht per year. With that membership you pay 500 baht greenfee incl caddyfee. After round you give around 200 baht in tip.

Santiburi is 110 000 baht membership for 2 years and with that you pay no greenfee but 220 baht in caddy fee per round and normal 200 - 250 baht in tip.

Without membership in Santi you pay 1020 baht Tuesdays (sportday) in greenfee incl caddy. This time of year it is a sportday every weekday.

Google Santiburi Chiang Rai to get greenfee for guests weekends and weekdays.

:):huh::D