Jump to content
BANGKOK 23 May 2019 04:24

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rimmer

Traffic lights work, but remain ignored due to police indifference

Recommended Posts

Traffic lights work, but remain ignored due to police indifference

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya authorities say traffic lights on Beach Road are fully functional but being ignored 40 percent of the time.

 

Traffic and transport officials said March 28 that the much-maligned pedestrian-crossing lights do, in fact, all work, but a lack of enforcement has allowed drivers to simply ignore them.

 

Seventeen of the 42 signals installed eight years ago are located on Beach Road as part of a 29-million-baht project. Last year, before the International Fleet Show, the city fixed the Beach and Second roads lights to give the many foreign visitors a good image of the city, but many of those away from spotlight were ignored and remain broken.

 

Traffic Department Director Anuwat Thongkham said 60-70 percent of the time cars will stop for lights, but those moving at higher speeds blow right on through

 

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/featured/traffic-lights-work-remain-ignored-due-police-indifference-206412

 
pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-04-06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rimmer said:

Traffic and transport officials said March 28 that the much-maligned pedestrian-crossing lights do, in fact, all work, but a lack of enforcement has allowed drivers to simply ignore them.

Essentially the same story as everything to do with road laws across the whole country then. No enforcement, leads people to think they can get away with whatever they like. Maybe if the Mayor, or someone else important gets run down, we might see some action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Essentially the same story as everything to do with road laws across the whole country then. No enforcement, leads people to think they can get away with whatever they like. Maybe if the Mayor, or someone else important gets run down, we might see some action.

They should install traffic camera's with each traffic light they install, an automated system and let them get fined.

 

The police is too lazy anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even surprised at this revelation the police are not interested enough to do anything, maybe not enough cash rewards in it for them, Thai drivers treat a traffic light on red as just a consideration, and motor bikes don't even consider the red light has anything to do with them, and that's any traffic lights not only pedestrian crossing lights mentioned here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robblok said:

The police is too lazy anyway

no, they are not but they have more important things to do.....Line, facebook, envelopes, aso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were sitting at a highway intersection in P-lok the other night, on the way home. A black Mercedes blew by us and ran the red light. It was moving so fast, that I could not even get my camera up for a shot. When the light turned green we went about two kilometers down the road and pulled into a gas station to fill up. This idiot that had run the red light, was sitting in his car also getting gas.

 

While we waited the wife talked to this fool about his dangerous driving. What was hIs response? The gas pedal had been stuck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, robblok said:

They should install traffic camera's with each traffic light they install, an automated system and let them get fined.

 

The police is too lazy anyway.

There would be to many "ifs" there, mainly concerning motor bikes, if it is registered, if it has a number plate at all, if the number plate can be seen and not tucked up under the saddled facing the tyre, and probably more, and this is daytime, got no hope at night!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

60-70 percent of the time cars will stop for lights, but those moving at higher speeds blow right on through

Which makes it extremely dangerous for those  crossing the road "fooled" into thinking  its safe to cross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basngkok soi 4 lights right by the police box, you cross on the green to the refuge, then the next lights are green but cars and bikes pay no heed and weave in and out of the pedestrians, cannot wait 3 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

There would be to many "ifs" there, mainly concerning motor bikes, if it is registered, if it has a number plate at all, if the number plate can be seen and not tucked up under the saddled facing the tyre, and probably more, and this is daytime, got no hope at night!

At least it would stop cars.. motorbikes are bad but cars are worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pattaya City spent millions installing these lights and just lately maintaining them, never ever seen a cop pull anyone for driving through a red light, seen loads of tourist jumping out the way using a crossing as a car speeds through, baht bus drivers usually stop though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These lights are bloody dangerous.

Unexperienced travelers from civilized countries get a false feeling of security.

Tear down and install a series of real rough speed bumpers properly colored and no way around for the little motorcycle artists.

It's the only method to slow down a Thai racer.

 

What do they expect in a country where pedestrians and bicyclists don't exist in license test/education?

Here in the village they honk at children walking to school (no footpath).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Lawless Thailand

And even the generals can't change that in all those years .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Here in the village they honk at children walking to school (no footpath).

How inconsiderate, warning children walking in the road of the approach of a vehicle.  Dreadful, that's not what a car's horn is for, is it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...