Traffic lights work, but remain ignored due to police indifference

Rimmer

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Sad trying to ridicule others when the intention of the post is very clear.

Thanks stevenl, I tried to keep the post short, but some didn't understand.  My point is that since the Beach Road crossing lights have been (mostly) functional for nearly a year, and Pattaya drivers have had time to get used to them, more of them are now stopping as they should.  When the lights were off, of course nobody stopped.  

When they first got turned back on, they were mostly ignored.  

Not so now.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

These lights are bloody dangerous.

Unexperienced travelers from civilized countries get a false feeling of security.

Tear down and install a series of real rough speed bumpers properly colored and no way around for the little motorcycle artists.

It's the only method to slow down a Thai racer.

What do they expect in a country where pedestrians and bicyclists don't exist in license test/education?

Here in the village they honk at children walking to school (no footpath).

There are speed humps designed to allow cars to drive over them at or below the speed limit without inconvenience, but really bump drivers going too fast. I'd love to see those installed and the speeders flying through the air before crashing, or breaking their suspension. That would certainly instill some sensible speeds into drivers.

This is the only practical solution.

15 hours ago, missoura said:

We were sitting at a highway intersection in P-lok the other night, on the way home. A black Mercedes blew by us and ran the red light. It was moving so fast, that I could not even get my camera up for a shot. When the light turned green we went about two kilometers down the road and pulled into a gas station to fill up. This idiot that had run the red light, was sitting in his car also getting gas.

While we waited the wife talked to this fool about his dangerous driving. What was hIs response? The gas pedal had been stuck...

Beats the usual one, brakes failed... 

2 hours ago, thailien8 said:
5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are speed humps designed to allow cars to drive over them at or below the speed limit without inconvenience, but really bump drivers going too fast. I'd love to see those installed and the speeders flying through the air before crashing, or breaking their suspension. That would certainly instill some sensible speeds into drivers.

This is the only practical solution.

Sorry but speed bump can be dangerous as drivers who ignore them and drive at speed may lose control of their vehicles, I am not worried about the drivers but 3rd parties may get hurt or even killed...

The only way "is to take the bull by the horns"

1. Sort out the corruption in the police ranks
  2. give the police the tools to do the job
  3. National Driver/Vehicle Licencing Centre
  4. Points on licences for traffic offences
  5. X points lose of licence (banned driver)
  6. Banned drivers found driving = prison (even if for only 2 weeks would probably be effective).

Perhaps they could be used by the large tourist groups, usually Chinese, heading to and from the Beach. At the moment someone tries to stop traffic and they cross en-mass irrespective of what those lights are doing nearby. Reasonable idea that never worked out. Second Road is even harder to cross.

Lights at zebra crossings are always difficult for westerners on scooters. Stop, and risk

getting plowed from behind by cars/trucks driven by locals. I have to be honest. I slow,

stay to the left. If I see someone trying to cross I stop, if not I proceed at a reduced speed

with cars and trucks whizzing by. 

At certain points install traffic islands to narrow the road down, and then have footpaths jutting out at intervals to create a "winding" pattern in the road to force vehicles to slow down. All reinforced by safety bollards, of course, and with speed humps. If it creates a traffic gridlock, tough titty. Install motorcycle taxi zones every 50 metres or so.

Gosh, I'm a clever little foreigner.

The only solution is to sack the entire RTP force (no more little brown envelopes) and replace with overseas police force ie! American where they shoot first ask questions later, bet they soon start to follow road rules then. Where's Wyatt Earp when you need him?

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

Sorry but speed bump can be dangerous as drivers who ignore them and drive at speed may lose control of their vehicles,  //

The whole area is limited to 40-50 km/h. You not easily loose control of your vehicle at that speed, and if it happen to one or two who drive way to fast, then that will be a lesson learned for all others.

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:
19 hours ago, Basil B said:

Sorry but speed bump can be dangerous as drivers who ignore them and drive at speed may lose control of their vehicles,  //

The whole area is limited to 40-50 km/h. You not easily loose control of your vehicle at that speed, and if it happen to one or two who drive way to fast, then that will be a lesson learned for all others.

I actually said:

Sorry but speed bump can be dangerous as drivers who ignore them and drive at speed may lose control of their vehicles, I am not worried about the drivers but 3rd parties may get hurt or even killed...

I do not care about a-holes who drive like idiots, but I do care about innocent people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and driving at seed over speed bumps could end up with the driver loosing control of their vehicle as it not always they who come of worst.

I don't often travel on beach road, but I had to be there today coincidental.

I noticed that there between soi 1 and 4 , I think there are 4 pedestrian lights with only about 50 meter between them.

That is simply asking for the lights to be ignored, since 4 traffic lights on such a short distance will always create traffic congestion.Can't pedestrian walk 100 meter in any direction to cross a road?

I noticed that there between soi 1 and 4 I think, there are 4 pedestrian lights with only about 50 meter between them.

Placing 4 pedestrian lights on such a short distance encourages drivers to ignore them, since this will always create traffic congestion.Can't pedestrian walk 100 meter in any direction to cross a road?

To fix this problem, the first thing that needs to happen is an installation of a social security system where people become affluent enough that they have money to pay expensive fines. So, as God said on the 8th day,  "let there be cash!"

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

I actually said:

I do not care about a-holes who drive like idiots, but I do care about innocent people who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and driving at seed over speed bumps could end up with the driver loosing control of their vehicle as it not always they who come of worst.

This has happened a number of times already. 

In Pattaya and Jomtien beach road, they would need manned police buildings at

each lighted intersection for anyone to even slow down. Also slow speed bumps would be a help

just before the intersections to at least get the drivers to slow down. CCTV cameras installed,

if they were automatic and good quality, and work,would also be of help. Will not hold

my breath to see any improvements though.

Geezer

18 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I noticed that there between soi 1 and 4 , I think there are 4 pedestrian lights with only about 50 meter between them.

That is simply asking for the lights to be ignored, since 4 traffic lights on such a short distance will always create traffic congestion.Can't pedestrian walk 100 meter in any direction to cross a road?

It's a tourist town and Beach Rd is NOT a main thoroughfare. If cars have to slow down so pedestrians can cross safely, well and good. Towns do NOT belong to cars, despite what the selfish drivers may think.

I'd like to see all cars banned from Beach Rd. They could easily make 2nd Rd two way by banning all parking on it, and so much the better if they did that. Central and South Rds are no wider and they are two way.

Ban private cars in cities!

Put CCTV cameras up and everytime someone driving over red light camera take photos easy and then confiscate driver license and the car or motorbikes 

It is now just fake safety to cross the road here in jomtien it is very dangerous 

Traffic police where are they 555

On 08/04/2018 at 11:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's a tourist town and Beach Rd is NOT a main thoroughfare. If cars have to slow down so pedestrians can cross safely, well and good. Towns do NOT belong to cars, despite what the selfish drivers may think.

I'd like to see all cars banned from Beach Rd. They could easily make 2nd Rd two way by banning all parking on it, and so much the better if they did that. Central and South Rds are no wider and they are two way.

Ban private cars in cities!

What about these?

Hydraulic, lights go red, a set of lights start flashing for 5 seconds and then these pop up.

Fast learning curve. ?

images (16).jpeg

I'm a bit late to this but looking at the picture in the OP. The lights are red but no-one is crossing. A case of crying wolf? Or someone stood there pressing the buttons for a joke. There are similar set up in Bangkok. On Srikakarin by a small mall. The mall seems to employ a guy to sit there and press buttons even when no one is crossing. So as usual most drivers adapt to this foolishness. 

Others in Bangkok  like the ones on Rama 3 or At Narong work as anticipated. 

I'd like to see all cars banned from Beach Rd.

The one way system and the circulating baht buses are great in Pattaya. Sure let's ban all private cars from Beach Road and everyone can use public transport. Not going to happen.

Archived