We are being harassed by policemen in Kantaralak for money, what should we do?

Fab1958

I’m sure some TV members remember the murder of a whole family including their kids in Krabi province last year. They arrested the culprits this year and sentenced them to death. That was also a business dispute over some land and loan.
So be careful, it’s a jungle outside there...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What exactly does he want?

What is his leverage? 

Is everything at your land legal?

What rank is the Policeman?

They want money there criminals what do you think they want. There spastics no schooling. Soon to be unemployed 

3 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

yes looks like the brother in law has been upto no good maybe he sells drugs and the police are searching for drugs , best get rid of brother in law or sell the land .

bullshit they would take him

Has zero to do with them. Just some dog police trying to extort BKK HQ game over 

Listen carefully

Go to BKK POLICE HQ. Speak to the boss. They will deploy the corruption squad. Who are in fact not corrupt. They will fix these cowboys 
Dont delay 

After fix those cowboys maybe relocate yourself too, ...just saying.

20 hours ago, Fab1958 said:

Thanks to all of you,

The land has the proper title, and if the BiL was doing something bad the policemen would have evidences and would have put him behind bars. After almost 10 months they still have not taken any real action. Only pester everybody, to the point where daily employees do not want to work for us. We are concerned that these bad cops might even want to implant some drugs or God knows what, to later discover it and put the blame on us. As seen in the video enclosed, these guys spread out, and sometime only the MiL is present while the BiL is working in the farm, so she cannot follow each one of them.

It is not easy for us to address such an issue, because we are not on site.

Does anybody know the equivalent of 1111 to be dialed from outside the country?

Thanks again

Fab58

20180405_150119.mp4

Your CCTV clip shows nothing untoward, you're going to need a lot more than a bunch of police getting into their car and driving away!

They do not have a search warrant and are breaking the law. They are not all police either. And the car is not a police car.

Maybe the brother in law. But I doubt it. They simply want money. Don't listen to monkeys telling your stories here..You a target for money that's all..Go to BKK take the wife or call them. 

Tell the brother in law you contacted the police Chief he has a crew coming. The guy if guilty may disappear. If not the police there extort farang for a long time. Personally they wouldn't get in my house the rice munchers

25 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

maybe BIL got is some strife so MIL gave them the Chanote (a common practice)

Then kept dragging this out, until know that the fan is really covered in crap 

You never know they are maybe trying to force the signing over of the Chanote, but wify ain't in town hence the multiple returns for money 

That's very possible.  A chanote is often handed over to loan sharks or other illegal credit providers as a form of collateral, although it is somewhat symbolic, if the creditor doesn't get a lien or other form of encumbrance registered on it at the Land Office.  At least it can signify that the deed is unencumbered and available for transfer without paying off another creditor.  You can report a title deed lost or stolen and have another issued but this is not something that many villagers would dare to do, particularly if the debt collectors are local police, who would know if a lost chanote report is filed in their precinct.  I have had experience of buying a piece of land which was hocked to a gold shop which held the deed as collateral without a registered lien.  Creditors might want to keep their activities below the radar by just holding the deed like this. 

Coming every day to collect cash wouldn't serve much purpose, if the debtor clearly has none, but if they hold the deed they would just need a copy of the wife's ID card, tabien baan and a power of attorney form on which her signature could be forged,  if necessary.  If the OP didn't make the foreign spouse declaration at the Land Office at the time of purchase, his spousal consent would not be required.  If he did, this could be handled with another POA form or the buyer could opt to take the risk of buying land without the seller spousal consent which they probably wouldn't mind, if they have muscle and guns.   Perhaps the in-laws keep telling them the documents are on the way from abroad. 

Listen carefully

Go to BKK POLICE HQ. Speak to the boss. They will deploy the corruption squad. Who are in fact not corrupt. They will fix these cowboys 
Dont delay 

Do you know from personal experience that they are ‘infact not corrupt’?
Sorry, I found otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen carefully

Dont delay 

Listen carefully

Dont delay 

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The betting is that someone amongst your family or employees knows very well who they are and the reason for these visits but is not sharing the information.  In these rural areas everyone knows everyone else and their business.  Personally I would want to exit this potentially dangerous situation in a country without rule of order and would consider selling the land.  If you go there yourself, you will certainly be a more interesting target for these thugs, whoever they may be. There is no guarantee the army would solve this for you.  Those guys might be soldiers for all you know.  Even if they did, it would make these guys even more angry and they would be back later for revenge.   

If you can't sell the land quickly, just put it up for sale with the right of redemption (khai faak) but don't bother to redeem it.  If you are unwilling to sell, let your Thai family deal with it, if you don't mind whether they get murdered or not, and avoid going there yourself like the plague.    

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Drugs, gambling, borrowing from loan sharks are high on the list of possibilities of things people living on the property have got involved with unbeknownst to you and possibly unbeknownst to your wife too.  You say the title deed is legit but you might want to get a copy of the back page sent to you to see if it has been either sold with the right of redemption already or mortgaged to someone.  Normally the first thing rural Thais do with a new piece of land is to hock it.

A 33 year old woman was found dead in a ditch with a plastic bag pulled over her head down the road from my MiL last week.  Not raped, not robbed but said to be involved in loan sharking.  No sign of violent struggle, so the murderer was obviously known to her and took her with the plastic bag by surprise from behind.   

Sell the land ASAP, if it has not been fully hocked already, and avoid any future business dealings with the in-laws.  If you want investment exposure to Thai land, buy listed Thai property developer shares in your own name and sleep at night.

37 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I recall a case from many years ago when a Thai female friend, a single mum with a son, was visited by thugs in her Bangkok restaurant who threatened to kill her, if she didn't pay off her son's debt.  Her son was football crazy and had got into football gambling, first as a gambler and later, after he got into debt, as a bookies runner.  By the time the thugs appeared, he had dropped out of university and got his girlfriend pregnant to boot. The illegal bookies offer gamblers free credit without the need to pay for any bets in advance. When they lose and can't pay, if they are young and energetic like my friend's son, they might be pressed to work as runners to pay off their debts.  That means they have to find new gambling customers for the bookie and are made responsible for collecting debts from them.  Of course, the boy ended with worse debts to the bookie because his customers couldn't pay their debts either. 

I don't know how this was resolved but my friend and her son managed to survive somehow.  The boy disappeared upcountry for several months, roaming around various provinces.  I can only assume that he hustled and stole the money to pay off his own and his customers' debts and was able to pay off the bookie, as he eventually returned to Bangkok and without being murdered but continued to be a ne'er do well.

Just one of the many examples of things that can happen in Thai families without the farang's knowledge.  Often debt collectors employed by loan sharks, football bookies, underground lottery operators etc are police or soldiers moonlighting which may be done with the knowledge of the commanding officer, as long as he gets paid off.     

3 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

That's very possible.  A chanote is often handed over to loan sharks or other illegal credit providers as a form of collateral, although it is somewhat symbolic, if the creditor doesn't get a lien or other form of encumbrance registered on it at the Land Office.  At least it can signify that the deed is unencumbered and available for transfer without paying off another creditor.  You can report a title deed lost or stolen and have another issued but this is not something that many villagers would dare to do, particularly if the debt collectors are local police, who would know if a lost chanote report is filed in their precinct.  I have had experience of buying a piece of land which was hocked to a gold shop which held the deed as collateral without a registered lien.  Creditors might want to keep their activities below the radar by just holding the deed like this. 

Coming every day to collect cash wouldn't serve much purpose, if the debtor clearly has none, but if they hold the deed they would just need a copy of the wife's ID card, tabien baan and a power of attorney form on which her signature could be forged,  if necessary.  If the OP didn't make the foreign spouse declaration at the Land Office at the time of purchase, his spousal consent would not be required.  If he did, this could be handled with another POA form or the buyer could opt to take the risk of buying land without the seller spousal consent which they probably wouldn't mind, if they have muscle and guns.   Perhaps the in-laws keep telling them the documents are on the way from abroad. 

Jesus, talk about an over-the-top-alarmist trying to connect other irrelevant cases and hearsay with this!

2 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

Well l have a friend in that squad..I are a former soldier and boxed with him..Maybe you had a bad experience..But they hate Isan stand over men. 

One case I know of. A Norweigen guy living in Norway with his Thai wife. Wife informs husband that there is some land for sale adjoining the family home in Khon Kean. As they were planning to return to live in Thailand at some stage the husband readily agreed and sent the money to the mother to buy the land in her name and build a house on the land. The Norwigen guy and his wife were unable to go back to Thailand for a while and in the meantime agreed that her sister and husband could live in the house until they were able to come to Thailand. Anyway the time came and they returned only to find that the new house had not been looked after by the sister and husband so they told them to move out. The sister refused because she said the house and the land was hers as the mother transferred it to her saying. He is a farang and you have nothing, he can build your sister another one. Neither the mother or the sister believe they have done anything wrong because all Farangs have big money. This is exactly the thinking in Issan so now nothing surprises me.

8 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

what ever there criminals that need to be handed over to BKK. They are involved in drugs and extortion game over

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Jesus, talk about an over-the-top-alarmist trying to connect other irrelevant cases and hearsay with this!

No he is just giving examples and trying to warn the OP not to be so trusting.

35 minutes ago, siamcrut said:

I’m sure some TV members remember the murder of a whole family including their kids in Krabi province last year. They arrested the culprits this year and sentenced them to death. That was also a business dispute over some land and loan.

That's right.  The victim had borrowed money from the mastermind, giving a title deed as collateral.  There was a lot of bad blood as the lender harassed the borrower to repay. Finally he got the money together and repaid the loan but the lender refused to return the deed.  The borrower then harassed him to return the deed resulting in the murder of himself and his family. 

What is clear in this case is that the OP has absolutely no idea what the dispute is about.  Thus advice about dealing with it by trying to involve higher authorities who are extremely to have no interest in the matter is not appropriate.  The first thing to do is to get hold of the title deed.  See if it is available and, if it is, whether any charges have been registered on it.  If it is available and unencumbered,  move your enquiries on to drugs and gambling and debts. 

Just now, Dogmatix said:

That's right.  The victim had borrowed money from the mastermind, giving a title deed as collateral.  There was a lot of bad blood as the lender harassed the borrower to repay. Finally he got the money together and repaid the loan but the lender refused to return the deed.  The borrower then harassed him to return the deed resulting in the murder of himself and his family. 

What is clear in this case is that the OP has absolutely no idea what the dispute is about.  Thus advice about dealing with it by trying to involve higher authorities who are extremely to have no interest in the matter is not appropriate.  The first thing to do is to get hold of the title deed.  See if it is available and, if it is, whether any charges have been registered on it.  If it is available and unencumbered,  move your enquiries on to drugs and gambling and debts. 

lol

1 minute ago, jimn said:

One case I know of. A Norweigen guy living in Norway with his Thai wife. Wife informs husband that there is some land for sale adjoining the family home in Khon Kean. As they were planning to return to live in Thailand at some stage the husband readily agreed and sent the money to the mother to buy the land in her name and build a house on the land. The Norwigen guy and his wife were unable to go back to Thailand for a while and in the meantime agreed that her sister and husband could live in the house until they were able to come to Thailand. Anyway the time came and they returned only to find that the new house had not been looked after by the sister and husband so they told them to move out. The sister refused because she said the house and the land was hers as the mother transferred it to her saying. He is a farang and you have nothing, he can build your sister another one. Neither the mother or the sister believe they have done anything wrong because all Farangs have big money. This is exactly the thinking in Issan so now nothing surprises me.

Norwegians are generally very nice and reasonable people. However their Achilles heel is their gullibility. They trust everybody and often, as a result, get taken to the cleaners by Thais.

2 minutes ago, Media1 said:

what ever there criminals that need to be handed over to BKK. They are involved in drugs and extortion game over

It's the OP's call but, since drugs and extortion are core businesses of the police and militar.y I wouldn't be so confident of this outcome.

Just now, Dogmatix said:

It's the OP's call but, since drugs and extortion are core businesses of the police and militar.y I wouldn't be so confident of this outcome.

ilegal everyday searches no warrants and not.all police . BKK has no choice because this will hit the news fast. 

Your right about there operations yes. But if it hurts there bigger picture they will sacrifice some low level clowns

50 minutes ago, siamcrut said:

please give it a rest

6 minutes ago, Media1 said:

What has it to do with you son

A lot, pal.  You posted it on a public forum that we are both members of and hypocritically denigrated them as "unschooled spastics".  If you don't want replies to your comments on a forum, don't post!

17 minutes ago, Media1 said:

oh yes your the bloke that's been following me..No need we can meet real. Just tell me where ok

Following you?  You should be so lucky.  Why would you want to meet me, tough guy?

If you insist, then The Game would suit me nicely, any time you want.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

A lot, pal.  You posted it on a public forum that we are both members of and hypocritically denigrated them as "unschooled spastics".  If you don't want replies to your comments on a forum, don't post!

please go harass somebody else. best you do l have no interest in you 

22 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

The Army control this country including the police. There are posters all over the countryside saying fight corruption by telephoning the Army’s Anti-Corruption Dept.

Contact them for assistance BUT just like everything else, expect to pay for the ‘service’

As your out of the country, I’d also consider that there may be more to this story (the visits) than meets the eye????

Yeah actually your probably right. A faster result less complicated

Archived