Oat pancakes (for the non carb fearing members)

robblok

I normally take my oats with some water and then zap them in the microwave. I was browsing the web looking for some information about training and got send to the livestrong site and they had a small movie playing about how to make oat pancakes.

It was so fast and easy that I got compelled to try as its a nice variation on my normal oats.

30 gram of oats 2 eggs and a bit of backing powder  (put it in the blender or food processor) then just bake them like normal pancakes ( can adapt the recipe to have more pancakes as this is not much). 

I tried it its easy fast and i like the taste its a good for a change once in a while. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my own recipe:

Oat Pancakes:

3/4 cup of large flake oats

1 tbsp ground flax seed

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

1 cup of water (try sparkling water)

1/2 a banana

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all the above in a blender.

After mixing add, fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter

Cook on medium heat for about four minutes, each side.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

What do you call putting them in a frying pan then ?

"Frying", "baking" involves the use of an oven.

I think most of us understood what was meant.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks, sometimes I miss the finer nuances. 

Problem was that we in the Netherlands use baking for both what you call frying and baking. Frying is something we call what is done with french fries.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Don't worry, I speak our stupid language as a native and get confused. Actually it's not really frying either as the pan is only lightly oiled. I would just use "cook".

OK enough of the English lesson, my oatcakes will burn (yes, I'm making some) :smile:

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, stupid question but as he uses baking soda I thought I was missing something. However on googling I found this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/520634/scottish-oat-cakes

which does involve baking,

So I'm working out the difference between oat pancakes and oat cakes. Pancakes go in a pan, not an oven, baking soda would be pointless if frying?

Well those were rather good, "sadly" madam drizzled honey all over them so not really the healthy option (it was fresh local honey mind) :tongue:

Used robblok's simple recipe made with guinea fowl eggs.

6 minutes ago, cooked said:

Yes, stupid question but as he uses baking soda I thought I was missing something. However on googling I found this: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/520634/scottish-oat-cakes

So I'm working out the difference between oat pancakes and oat cakes. Pancakes go in a pan, not an oven, baking soda would be pointless if frying.

I just got it from the website, i think the baking soda is supposed to make the pancakes rise a bit (don't think it works for me). I did forget one thing in the original short movie clip they added a banana too.. not sure why i forgot it. I forgot to put it in my pancakes yesterday too. 

I am just going to use it as a change for once in a while. 

Just now, Crossy said:

Well those were rather good, "sadly" madam drizzled honey all over them so not really the healthy option (it was fresh local honey mind) :tongue:

Nothing wrong with honey...

Just now, Crossy said:

Nice, ah you can't have it all a bit of honey can be good unless your wife finds out... oops that is an other kind of honey :). 

I had them yesterday as I normally have quite a boring set of meals i choose from when I am trying to lose weight. (gained a bit a few kg's because lack of training and diet caused by lack of sleep). Now I seem to be training good again and on a diet to lose those few kg's.

I don't mind eating the same day in day out, though the GF can't do that she rather not eat then and does not get hungry (hence her light weight). We are not all build the same some have naturally more appetite then others. Still within our own range we can always improve.

Just now, JungleBiker said:

Note sure why there is no "quote button" on the opening post.

It's a feature of the forum software, limits the number of folks who quote the entire OP with 1 line response. You can still select the text in the OP to quote.

I still have a dozen in my freezer in Bkk. Went back to the UK at Xmas and my wife bought 4 dozen back with her. She loves them and they freeze reasonably well. 

I am from Stoke and I use High Lane Oatcake shop. Always buy a load whenever I am back in the UK. The wife eats them with nothing on or with some syrup. 

They are very healthy...a much better alternative to bread. However, I eat them with bacon,eggs,sausages,cheese etc so they tend to lose their health benefits with me.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Villa or Foodland might sell sugar-free dietetic syrup.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

So I'm working out the difference between oat pancakes and oat cakes. Pancakes go in a pan, not an oven, baking soda would be pointless if frying?

Bicarbonate of soda is used as a raising agent in baking and in a recipe such as this one.

Baking powder includes bicarb but has other ingredients too: also useful in baking and in this recipe.

I find the taste of bicarb overwhelming even in small quantities so I used baking powder as a raising agent although, of course, there are many alternatives.

6 hours ago, Taggart said:

Here's my own recipe:

Oat Pancakes:

1 tbsp ground flax seed

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

1/2 a banana

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Nice one Taggart...............reminded me to vary the ones I make, which have been a little bit of pancake mix with oats and an egg and milk.

Would be "healthy" if I didn't top it off with butter and Maple syrup!! 

56 minutes ago, JungleBiker said:

Note sure why there is no "quote button" on the opening post.

But anyhow, you could add things to your regular "oats and water", like banana, raisins, flax seeds, blueberries, strawberries, etc? 

Yes, i know i could but haven't tried it yet. I normally have some frozen berries lying around. But I wave my oats and for some reason I don't like cold berried with warm oats. But I get your drift. 

15 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Villa or Foodland might sell sugar-free dietetic syrup.

I might look for something like that, tough i have no problem eating the pancakes without anything or even some honey once in a while. Its not going to be something I will eat the majority of times just on occasion as a change up. 

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I might look for something like that, tough i have no problem eating the pancakes without anything or even some honey once in a while. Its not going to be something I will eat the majority of times just on occasion as a change up. 

I'm with you, man. I see pancakes, I think MAPLE SYRUP!!! Genuine, not just the flavored stuff. But I'll have to settle for less. :)

I do Finnish crepes with instant oatmeal flakes, mostly because I'm too lazy to ride to 7-11 to buy milk.

Here is the receipt for 10 crepes

• 5 dl water
  • 2 eggs
  • 3.5 dl flour
  • 1 dl instant oatmeal flakes

1. Mix eggs, water, flour and oatmeal, salt and sugar
  2. Let the mix rise for an hour
  3. Fry on a pan with margarine or vegetable oil 

frying-finnish-crepe-pancakes-onesiderea

Image from: http://finlandinsider.com/food/recipes/finnish-crepe-pancakes/

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I just got it from the website, i think the baking soda is supposed to make the pancakes rise a bit (don't think it works for me). I did forget one thing in the original short movie clip they added a banana too.. not sure why i forgot it. I forgot to put it in my pancakes yesterday too. 

I am just going to use it as a change for once in a while. 

I use baking powder in my recipe for pancakes and both baking soda and baking powder in different amounts if I have soured some milk to make them buttermilk pancakes.  Even if you use a pan it is still a form of baking them - frying required larger amounts of oil and is like making french fries or chicken - you can make biscuits in a pan also - we call them cowboy biscuits.  For oat meal version of ether waffles or pancakes just substitute half the flour in the recipe for oat meal.  PS with the baking powder the salt in the recipe makes them interact - you can't leave it out.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Problem was that we in the Netherlands use baking for both what you call frying and baking. Frying is something we call what is done with french fries.

the Flemish word for pancakes is " koeken-bakken " ( cakes-baking), 

There are small differences between languages, but this can not be understood by a person who can only speak one language, that's why you have those ignorant reactions in these 

forums. So let's forgive them their ignorance.

9 hours ago, Taggart said:

Here's my own recipe:

Oat Pancakes:

1 tbsp ground flax seed

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

1/2 a banana

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Wow, how about sending me some, sound delicious 

25 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

the Flemish word for pancakes is " koeken-bakken " ( cakes-baking), 

There are small differences between languages, but this can not be understood by a person who can only speak one language, that's why you have those ignorant reactions in these 

forums. So let's forgive them their ignorance.

Your Flemish is again different from our Dutch, and I believe the guy was only joking. But I really never knew that baking meant only in an oven. Anyway always happy to learn.

Archived